Player Discussion Dion Phaneuf

Uchiha

Jun 14, 2014
What're some reasonable expectations for him this upcoming season? I think 30+ points and anchoring the second pairing is reasonable.

Last edited:

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
I think we will see a full season of Phaneuf and Ceci seeing some solid minutes together on the 2nd pairing. Once they get a good feel for each other, you'll probably see some better possession numbers than last year. Because Phaneuf will get more PP time than Ceci, I'd see Phaneuf up near 35-40 points, with Ceci probably around 30.

I'm pretty comfortable with that 2nd pairing. Ceci has taken some flak for some of his underlying numbers, but he is pretty much the only Senator who didn't have his stats inflated by playing shifts with Karlsson. In fact, his stats were deflated by playing with guys who made his job more difficult, much of the time.

I think Phaneuf will allow Ceci to grow as a player. Phaneuf has an outgoing nature, that could also help with confidence. Because of the sort of...unstable nature of the bottom pair, I think the Sens will have to lean heavy on the 2nd pair as a shut down pair as well. Probably see Ceci and Phaneuf out killing a lot of penalties.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
35-40 points

The guy is a very solid NHL dman and I was secretly hoping we'd find a way to get him off of Toronto last summer (same with Ryan and Brassard actually)

SlyDawg

Feb 12, 2015
Nepean, ON
Phaneuf has never been a 'bad' defenceman. He's a pylon and should never be on the top two lines, personally, but he suits a good role for a second pairing.

Let's face it: he's really overpaid for a second pair defenseman. But we'll have him for a while and we'll just have to suck it up and deal with it. As such, we might as well put him in a position where he will excel. And it never has been the top two position. Set him in 3-4, let him pylon his way through people with the Double Dion and I'm content.

Points wise? 25-35 points is not out of the realm of realism.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I hope the decline doesn't come soon, and he has a full solid season with ceci putting up 30 pts(+?) and raising the confidence of the whole team.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I expect him to be a solid physical presence, to help teach the kids (Ceci most prominently), play 20-22 mins a night, shore up our special teams, be a leader, and produce to the tune of 30-40 points.

I think it's obvious that the days of him threatening to hit 20 goals a year are over, but I see no reason why he can't be a 35+ point player every year for the foreseeable future now that he has a competent team playing around him (which, let's be honest, he never had in Toronto). I think 10g-30a-40pts is entirely attainable for him on this team, if used properly. Randy Carlyle was the worst thing that ever happened to Phaneuf, and I think you started to see him shake off the Post-Carlyle Stress Disorder last year under Babcock, and a little more after getting traded.

I think there's a lot of room for Phaneuf to re-discover what made him a 40+ point force of a defenceman in his mid-20's. I'm not saying he's going to go out and do it, but the conditions for it to happen are definitely there.

I'm being positive about Phaneuf. I think he's going to become a real leader on this team, and I think we are significantly better with him on this team than we would be without him. If he's overpaid my a million, I'm totally fine with that, because our blueline looks absolutely pathetic if you remove him. It's a fair price to pay to fix the gaping hole we had, and he was such an obvious piece to replace it, at a price that was basically as low as it was ever going to be, that it would be foolish not to pursue it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I expect him to be a solid physical presence, to help teach the kids (Ceci most prominently), play 20-22 mins a night, shore up our special teams, be a leader, and produce to the tune of 30-40 points.

I think it's obvious that the days of him threatening to hit 20 goals a year are over, but I see no reason why he can't be a 35+ point player every year for the foreseeable future now that he has a competent team playing around him (which, let's be honest, he never had in Toronto). I think 10g-30a-40pts is entirely attainable for him on this team, if used properly. Randy Carlyle was the worst thing that ever happened to Phaneuf, and I think you started to see him shake off the Post-Carlyle Stress Disorder last year under Babcock, and a little more after getting traded.

I think there's a lot of room for Phaneuf to re-discover what made him a 40+ point force of a defenceman in his mid-20's. I'm not saying he's going to go out and do it, but the conditions for it to happen are definitely there.

I'm being positive about Phaneuf. I think he's going to become a real leader on this team, and I think we are significantly better with him on this team than we would be without him. If he's overpaid my a million, I'm totally fine with that, because our blueline looks absolutely pathetic if you remove him. It's a fair price to pay to fix the gaping hole we had, and he was such an obvious piece to replace it, at a price that was basically as low as it was ever going to be, that it would be foolish not to pursue it.

Last time Phaneuf was a threat to hit 20 goals, he had over 400 mins on the PP and over 100 shots with the extra man. That was the key to him threatening 20 goals. His 5v5 production was a bit better than it was this past season, but he's certainly not going to get that kind of role on the PP, and imo for him to push for 40 pts, he's going to need to get about 15-20 pts on the PP.

He's still got a bomb from the point, even if his accuracy isn't all that great, so it'll be interesting to see how he's used. I'm hoping he'll be on the first unit with Karlsson, and they can open things up down low for guys like Stone and Brassard to work their magic.

since92

May 9, 2011
I want to see him fill a Prime-Phillips-esque roll this year. If he can bring his brand of leadership and toughness to round out the top 4 we should be good. Ceci will improve dramatically as he can rely on Phaneuf to cover his mistakes.

Maybe this is a bit of an overstatement but I feel like Phaneuf could represent the defence version of Gary Roberts we were looking for back in the day. At least that's my hope.

Points, I'm not expecting ground breaking numbers but 35-40 with some PP time should be attainable at least for this year. Should be interesting to see what coach GB and the Crow have in mind for him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't care about points.

I want Phaneuf to stabilize the second pairing, and really work as a mentor for Ceci (and any young D like Wideman that are on the roster). Be the guy who helps the next generation along and builds that foundation. Be a leader, be a pillar of strength.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I kinda hope he's fills a more steady role and lets Ceci emerge. Or rather, Ceci's emergence offensively forces him to be a bit more steady. He's not particularly fast, I'd like to see him focus on sound defensive hockey and quick puck transition. He has the shot, he'll still get his 25 points that way.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think he will bring leadership, and even help the bottom pairing guys grow a bit. Could be a big help to Claesson if he makes the team as he is somewhat similar.

I agree with the offensive production estimates. 30-40 points with a lot coming from the pp. Two legit slapshots on the point which will open some room for Karlsson, and some secondary assists through Karlsson.

Having Stone who is a deflection and rebound master in front is only going to help in that regard.

I think people are underrating the offensive aspect that second pair can have. Both are pretty good breakout passers, and Ceci with confidence even demonstrates a little puck rushing ability. Its not a Phillips-Volchenkov esque type of pair were talking about.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dion is such key component of the D corps. He's as good a #3 as just about any in the league imo.

I could see anywhere from 30-45pts for him, depending on the dynamic between him and Ceci and PP usage.

It seems like Ceci is going to be the primary mover on that pairing, but Dion might get more opportunity on the PP because of Karlsson being the permanent RD.

Either way aside from completely solidifying the second pairing, it's the off ice stuff that has me the most excited about him. He's a fiery competitor, and a relentless worker, and adds a much needed presence to a group that badly lacks confidence at times.

The Phaneuf and Brassard trades both addressed our biggest weaknesses. I really, really like the makeup of the team right now.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Dion is such key component of the D corps. He's as good a #3 as just about any in the league imo.

I could see anywhere from 30-45pts for him, depending on the dynamic between him and Ceci and PP usage.

It seems like Ceci is going to be the primary mover on that pairing, but Dion might get more opportunity on the PP because of Karlsson being the permanent RD.

Either way aside from completely solidifying the second pairing, it's the off ice stuff that has me the most excited about him. He's a fiery competitor, and a relentless worker, and adds a much needed presence to a group that badly lacks confidence at times.

The Phaneuf and Brassard trades both addressed our biggest weaknesses. I really, really like the makeup of the team right now.

Good points. I think our leadership group will be stronger this year. A full year of Phaneuf, Kelly coming back and a healthy MacArthur should really help in that area.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'm craving some A-Train/Sutton-esque physicality on incoming wingers that we see once or twice in the past couple seasons from Methot. If he can give me some of that with solid D and 20min a night, while improving our PK, ecstatic.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Good points. I think our leadership group will be stronger this year. A full year of Phaneuf, Kelly coming back and a healthy MacArthur should really help in that area.

I concur. Dorion has addressed leadership in spades and is still looking (3rd pair D). Brassard is pure gold and will double the Pageau effect. Even Pyatt will have an effect by pushing Paul and Lazar for time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Phaneuf interview on TSN1200: http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200-1.557163

-excited
-new staff
-fresh start
-likes addition of Brassard and Kelly
-Looking forward to a full season with the team, no distractions like moving houses ect.
-on playing the Left side vs right: Can see the ice better on strong side, move the puck easier. No difference in playing defensively.
-on Bouchard: is passionate, detailed in systems and structure. Lots of energy
-Team coming in with a chip on their shoulders. Really likes the team, everyone feels they underachieved. Last year is done, expect more this year.
-Expects ceci to build off international play. Looking forward to playing with him

I missed a bunch, but that's the jist of it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Dion Phaneuf hasn't hit 40pts (or even 35 for that matter) since the 2011-2012 season and has only surpassed 32pts once in the last 8 years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dion Phaneuf hasn't hit 40pts (or even 35 for that matter) since the 2011-2012 season and has only surpassed 32pts once in the last 8 years.

counterpoint;

in 2012-13 he hit 28 in 48 games, a 48 pts pace and his 29 pts in 70 games was a 34 pts pace in 2014-15. His 32 pts in 71 games this past season was a 37 pts pace. His issue appears to be staying healthy more so than anything else which to me suggests that Bonk's claim that the 40 pts mark is attainable is entirely fair. Not saying playing for Ottawa will make him stay healthy, but he had 3 consecutive healthy seasons before missing a touch more than average two years running, it's not as though he's injury prone.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

:facepalm:

While nothing you have said is untrue, your clearly manipulating the wording to make your point. I have a very hard time taking you seriously.

2005-06 - 49pts
2006-07 - 50pts
2007-08 - 60pts
2008-09 - 47pts
2009-10 - 32pts
2010-11 - 37pt pace
2011-12 - 44pts
2012-13 - 47pt pace
2013-14 - 31pts
2014-15 - 33pt pace
2015-16 - 37pt pace

Dion is what he is. When healthy, hes a 30-40pt dman. Hes's never been on pace for lower than 30pts at any point in his career. He could easily put up 30-40pts on this team next year...

Why do you feel the need to argue with that?

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Habs fans :laugh:

2012-13 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 48 9 19 28 : shortened season, pace of 48 pts for 82 games
2013-14 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 80 8 23 31 : pace of 32 pts
2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 70 3 26 29 : pace of 34 pts
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 51 3 21 24 + Ottawa Senators NHL 20 1 7 8 : pace of 37 pts

Let's not forget that the Leafs didn't have the greatest teams to put out great numbers. Anyway, it doesn't matter, we are not expecting much than 30-35 pts from him (which has been his pace the last 3 years). Anything above that will be pure bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad