Player Discussion Dion Phaneuf

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
As much as we all hate that cap hit and the length on Phaneuf's contract, man was getting him two years back without losing anything of worth a great move.

Considering we lost Methot and EK is out until November, not only is our D corps anemic in talent but leadership. Ceci can't run the show on the back and having a veteran steadying presence (that isn't Borowiecki) is going to be crucial for this season.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Phaneuf has been an absolute rock for Ottawa.

Yeah his cap hit is higher than he's worth, but he's been huge for the Sens, and imo the best Sens defenseman in the playoffs after EK. Including Methot.

It boggles my mind that some people want him gone just based on his cap hit.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Phaneuf has been an absolute rock for Ottawa.

Yeah his cap hit is higher than he's worth, but he's been huge for the Sens, and imo the best Sens defenseman in the playoffs after EK. Including Methot.

It boggles my mind that some people want him gone just based on his cap hit.

I understand the value of Phaneuf on and off the ice. I really like the player.

But i can understand, since we also have Ryan's contract, that some want at least one of them out. I think some are afraid, myself include, to lose certain player who we believe to be more importante for the futur because we are too short in term of budget or salary cap.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Big Phaneuf fan, he was our best player in a few playoff games last season.

The salary is a bit high, but Alzner signed for 5 years at $4.7 million and he had 13 points last season. Dion had almost as many goals as he had points last season.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
There's been discussion that Alzner's body is pretty beat up. We might want to make a different comparison.

McCabe was fairly similar. He made $5.5M through his early 30's over a decade ago, so it's pretty close to $7.0M now.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Anyone have a link to the video of Dion Phaneuf being interviewed today? I saw it on TSN this evening. He made some really good points!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Look at Phaneuf on that goal. Thing is he did an even better "keep in" just before but we can't see it in that replay.

IMO Phaneuf has been very good so far this season, just behind Ceci. But of course I prefer when they don't play together.

IMO defense should be :

Claesson-Karlsson
Oduya-Ceci
Phaneuf-Wideman

TOI/GP goes like this (because of special units) :

1- Karlsson
2- Ceci
3- Paneuf
4- Claesson
5- Oduya
6- Wideman

===================

I don't care about Phaneuf's cap hit. Ottawa has been a budget team so salary is important. When they acquired Phaneuf, they sent 14.3 M$ in "undesired" salary the other way, so it's pretty much like if the Leafs retained on Dion's salary for the Sens. His total cost for 5.25 years will be 20.7 M$, which is like 4.0 on average. At that price, he's a bargain (for the Sens but not for the Leafs who paid like 28 M$ for his first 2 years lol)

Reactions: Alex1234

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
I really don't see what others are seeing about him being a rock back there. He's a total liability in my opinion every time he's on the ice. He's also taken some really bad penalties this year that have hurt this team.

I don't know if it's possible with that contract but if Dorion could ever work some magic to offload him I would jump for joy.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Um Uncle Euge, I have Phaneuf in my hockey pool as a goon. He's given me two points ie. 4min of penalties. All season so far. Clearly you've only watched two games but I'll spell out what he does for us:

Physical presence, some solid hits
Battles behind the net better than any Sens in our own zone
Amazing active stickwork
Has been a team leader, bonding with the boys in pei at the 'compound'
Has had some clutch goals
Solid on pp
Pisses the hell off the opposing team.

Sure hes pretty slow, can have a bad gaff every once in awhile. So does our whole team lol. I've like him more this year tbh, though his skating might be slower (turtle mode). And yes his contract is an albatross

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Um Uncle Euge, I have Phaneuf in my hockey pool as a goon. He's given me two points ie. 4min of penalties. All season so far. Clearly you've only watched two games but I'll spell out what he does for us:

Amazing active stickwork
Solid on pp

Sure hes pretty slow, can have a bad gaff every once in awhile. So does our whole team lol. I've like him more this year tbh, though his skating might be slower (turtle mode). And yes his contract is an albatross
Exact
Karlsson and Oduya have been a lot worse so far densively speaking
He’s been solid this year
IMo Chabot should replace Oduya asap

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I really don't see what others are seeing about him being a rock back there. He's a total liability in my opinion every time he's on the ice. He's also taken some really bad penalties this year that have hurt this team.

I don't know if it's possible with that contract but if Dorion could ever work some magic to offload him I would jump for joy.

From my understanding of the game of hockey and from the perspective of a goalie, I really don't see that. Phaneuf might be slow but he gets away with it because he is top notch positionally and has a very good stick; plus he uses his body very well to angle off attackers, separate them from the puck, or keep them "honest".

There's a reason a defensive coach like Boucher uses him as much. He is 34th in D-men TOI/GP since the beginning of last year. Only 19 skaters in the whole NHL have seen the ice more than him since 2016-17

Would love him for 3 mil

It wouldn't be a bad idea to grasp a picture of market's reality first before making statements left and right.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2018/caphit/all/defense

1. Radko Gudas 27 y/o : $3,350,000
2. Calvin De Haan 26 y/o : $3,300,000
Brenden Dillon 26 y/o : $3,270,000
4. Clayton Stoner 32 y/o : $3,250,000
5. Trevor Daley 34 y/o : $3,166,667
6. Ron Hainsey 36 y/o : $3,000,000
7. Michael Del Zotto 27 y/o : $3,000,000
8. Dan Girardi 33 y/o : $3,000,000
9. Carl Gunnarsson 30 y/o : $2,900,000
10. Ryan Murray 24 y/o : $2,825,000
Jacob Trouba 23 y/o : $2,812,500
Cody Ceci 23 y/o : $2,800,000
Ben Hutton 24 y/o : $2,800,000

Note that the guys in red are young and on contracts covering their RFA years. They will most likely make much more money on their next deal(s).

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
From my understanding of the game of hockey and from the perspective of a goalie, I really don't see that. Phaneuf might be slow but he gets away with it because he is top notch positionally and has a very good stick; plus he uses his body very well to angle off attackers, separate them from the puck, or keep them "honest".

There's a reason a defensive coach like Boucher uses him as much. He is 34th in D-men TOI/GP since the beginning of last year. Only 19 skaters in the whole NHL have seen the ice more than him since 2016-17

It wouldn't be a bad idea to grasp a picture of market's reality first before making statements left and right.

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2018/caphit/all/defense

1. Radko Gudas 27 y/o : $3,350,000
2. Calvin De Haan 26 y/o : $3,300,000
Brenden Dillon 26 y/o : $3,270,000
4. Clayton Stoner 32 y/o : $3,250,000
5. Trevor Daley 34 y/o : $3,166,667
6. Ron Hainsey 36 y/o : $3,000,000
7. Michael Del Zotto 27 y/o : $3,000,000
8. Dan Girardi 33 y/o : $3,000,000
9. Carl Gunnarsson 30 y/o : $2,900,000
10. Ryan Murray 24 y/o : $2,825,000
Jacob Trouba 23 y/o : $2,812,500
Cody Ceci 23 y/o : $2,800,000
Ben Hutton 24 y/o : $2,800,000

Note that the guys in red are young and on contracts covering their RFA years. They will most likely make much more money on their next deal(s).
So we would have a great deal at 3. ....

Gudas at that price isn't bad.
Point is he's overpaid. And "today's" market doesn't mean much he signed this mammoth yeaaars ago.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks for the link. Phaneuf hit the nail on the head there saying they need to improve their structured play as they did seem to get away from the tight defensive play in the neutral zone.

I also listened to the Turris interview. I do not understand the question he was asked about being scared. I thought he had the flu. Did he have another health issue?

I just think they were asking if dealing with the virus he had was scary.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Keep thinking that buddy. I see alot of 3/4 D men around the league way worse. I've only missed one game this year on tv but what do I know.

I hate the contract but for the cap we shed, 100% worth it.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
So we would have a great deal at 3. ....

Gudas at that price isn't bad.
Point is he's overpaid. And "today's" market doesn't mean much he signed this mammoth yeaaars ago.

And Crosby would be a great deal at 3 too.

Phaneuf is a good deal at 5 or 5.5. Yes he's overpaid, but he's still a legit top 4 guy. Not a maybe top 4 defenseman, a very good top 4 defenseman.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He's too slow and can't carry a pairing. If he's the best defenceman on your second pair you're in trouble

Right. Like how we were in trouble last year all the way up to 2OT of the ECF. Or how we're in deep trouble so far this season. Phaneuf clearly isn't cutting it, and the sky is falling.

Lol. Or maybe he's totally adequate as a 2nd pair D, so is Ceci, and our coach likes to use 7D so no one gets too overstretched anyways. We have great depth on the blueline right now.

I also seem to remember Dion being a part of some timely goals this season already. It's funny how people can see things so completely differently.

Reactions: Chip Chipperson

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa

Amazing active stickwork
Solid on pp

Last year he had over 100 penalty minutes. Some very costly ones if I remember correctly. He's done alright but I still can't help but feel he's a liability out there at all times because of how slow he is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Right. Like how we were in trouble last year all the way up to 2OT of the ECF. Or how we're in deep trouble so far this season. Phaneuf clearly isn't cutting it, and the sky is falling.

Lol. Or maybe he's totally adequate as a 2nd pair D, so is Ceci, and our coach likes to use 7D so no one gets too overstretched anyways. We have great depth on the blueline right now.

I also seem to remember Dion being a part of some timely goals this season already. It's funny how people can see things so completely differently.
I don't really like "totally adequate" when we're trying win championships.

Not a knock on phaneuf. Just the words thenselves.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Outside of Nashville there is no obvious second pairing where I go "wow Phaneuf and Ceci are outclassed".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->