Did Bettman try and save the Jets?

CoolburnIsGone

Wow, you've convinced me ... :shakehead

When you come to the realization that more than electricians go to hockey games (especially the substantial portion of most crowds that are there because they are getting it through a corporate connection), perhaps we can talk some more.

of course more than electricians go to hockey games. all kinds of middle income people do. not just corporations. i used electricians as an example of a middle income guy. and because i know the field. unlike you who rips out stats ( while obviously the stats are true , they have nothing to do with what you're saying or what the arguement is about). stop and think... hockey in phoenix better than hockey in winnipeg .... is that market helping to "sell the game" i think not.
to quote someone unknown ... if you had a brain you'd be dangerous.
But I think your example is flawed though because you're using a UNIONIZED job where contracts are negotiated on behalf of the workers. Some middle income jobs aren't that way and thus the distributions of salary in other cities compared to Winnipeg may show that you're example is an anamoly (sp?). I live in south Florida and have looked across the entire US and the salary range is pretty competitive comparatively (especially factoring in the lack of a state income tax and cost of living). Regardless, the middle income workers who do buy the tickets aren't the bread and butter of these franchises. It is those corporations who buy the expensive tickets and the luxury boxes, the companies that spend advertising dollars so the people in the arena and on TV see their name/product associated with the sport. Deny it all you want but that's just the reality of the situation.

And as far as selling the game goes, I think the same things were said prior to Gretzky getting to LA about that market (now that area has 2 franchises that no one ever really suggests relocating and both have had good & bad yrs). The only way to really grow the sport outside of the already existing fan base is to develop the sport in new areas where they develop youth programs that feed into the sport. Ten years ago, I don't think you would hear about a single player to come from south Florida and play in the Canadian juniors. But in the last 3 yrs, I know I have heard about 2 of them (can't remember their names now). That is how you really "sell the game" IMHO. But many of these teams that everyone is ready to move haven't had the opportunity to get fully established youth programs because its not a short process. It takes 20-30 yrs before you see the results.

GSC2k2*

But I think your example is flawed though because you're using a UNIONIZED job where contracts are negotiated on behalf of the workers. Some middle income jobs aren't that way and thus the distributions of salary in other cities compared to Winnipeg may show that you're example is an anamoly (sp?). I live in south Florida and have looked across the entire US and the salary range is pretty competitive comparatively (especially factoring in the lack of a state income tax and cost of living). Regardless, the middle income workers who do buy the tickets aren't the bread and butter of these franchises. It is those corporations who buy the expensive tickets and the luxury boxes, the companies that spend advertising dollars so the people in the arena and on TV see their name/product associated with the sport. Deny it all you want but that's just the reality of the situation.

And as far as selling the game goes, I think the same things were said prior to Gretzky getting to LA about that market (now that area has 2 franchises that no one ever really suggests relocating and both have had good & bad yrs). The only way to really grow the sport outside of the already existing fan base is to develop the sport in new areas where they develop youth programs that feed into the sport. Ten years ago, I don't think you would hear about a single player to come from south Florida and play in the Canadian juniors. But in the last 3 yrs, I know I have heard about 2 of them (can't remember their names now). That is how you really "sell the game" IMHO. But many of these teams that everyone is ready to move haven't had the opportunity to get fully established youth programs because its not a short process. It takes 20-30 yrs before you see the results.
Your first paragraph is well stated, IMO.

However, and not to hijack the thread, there is not a shred of evidence to suggest that youth hockey has even the slightest effect on the popularity of NHL hockey. That is an old canard that came up many many years ago and has been passed around among hockey fans for years so much that it has become received wisdom among those who don't apply any level of critical analysis to these old "nuggets". This topic is more fully addressed in another thread. If you wish to take it up, I would be glad to do so, but I suggest we take it up there. This thread is also for the debunking of an old myth of similar proportions, but a different one than the "gets the kids playing, and hockey will be popular" one.

KrisKing*

If Winnipeg gets a team back, fine by me..although I wont move back to Winnipeg just cause of that..I have reasons that I don't want to go back and some are very personal to me just cause....I don't like the city, I don't like the atmosphere and this is coming from me, I grew up there all my life and got the hell out of there...

Wanna hate on me? go ahead, its not like words would hurt my feelings or my view on Winnipeg would change..the only thing I ever liked about Winnipeg was the Jets, when they left, there was nothing to love about that city....

Let the city deal with the native problem and their "growing" population, blah blah blah yeah I heard it all before, I don't give a **** bout that place nor the Province...yeah I hate that place so Sue me ****ers. Rant over.

:teach:
I doubt that anyone in Winnipeg is pining for the return of you and your apparent dislike for natives.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I think the one thing we can both agree on is that this guy's remarks can and should be ignored by all.

As long as we can also ignore your continual attempts to pan Winnipeg as a potential future NHL franchise site. What is the motivation behind your obvious hatred of the city? It seems as if you spend an inordinate amount of your time here on the topic of Winnipeg's future. One could theorize that living in a town like Hamilton might be what drives your motivation to drag others down to that level.

Here is the thing; your opinion on whether or not Winnipeg deserves an NHL franchise means squat in the real world, as do your online attempts to make yourself into some sort of an arbiter of same.

Winnipeg will one day perhaps gain an NHL franchise when someone such as the Asper family decide they want to bring one here. It would make an ideal platform for a launch of their Can West Global network into sports programming. David currently has 65 million of his own money on the line in a partnership bid to potentially buy the Bombers & build a new stadium. Perhaps one day soon that money may instead be earmarked toward an NHL purchase or partnership. There are others in this city that could also buy an NHL team either outright or in a partnership... out of pocket money, be they the Richardsons, or maybe the Cohens' (the original Sony Canada distributors), the Parrish family, Chapman, etc. I'm really sick of people on this board saying this city can't afford it, we can. The conditions just weren't right during the Jets exit (the old barn & no hope of a new one, the CDN$, no shared Winnipeg Arena revenues, league revenue sharing), but they are looking much better now.

It may or may not happen, but nothing an anonymous internet poster located in Hamilton has to say about it will impact such a decision one iota. They will base such a potential purchase on their own knowledge of the market, not yours.

As a former long time Jets season ticket holder, I'd hate for us to gain a team at the expense of fans in another city, because I know how they'd feel. If it happened though, such is life. I doubt many others in this city want to gain a team at someone else's loss, so please quit trying to generalize and lump all Winnipeggers in with the small group who post at that Jets Owner site.

GSC2k2*

As long as we can also ignore your continual attempts to pan Winnipeg as a potential future NHL franchise site. What is the motivation behind your obvious hatred of the city?

Yup. Since I disagree with your point of view, I obviously have a "hatred of the city". I have never been in Winnipeg. I actually have no hatred of any city. Grow up; just because someone disagrees with your point of view does not mean that they must have some ulterior motive. They may just be coming objectively to a different conclusion than you.

It seems as if you spend an inordinate amount of your time here on the topic of Winnipeg's future.

I find the topic interesting, but more importantly I fail to see how the manner in which I spend my free time is of any concern to you, whoever you are.

One could theorize that living in a town like Hamilton might be what drives your motivation to drag others down to that level.

:shakehead Now see, that is simply flaming, which is a breach of posting rules last time I checked. Whether you disagree with my opinions or not, you have no basis to flame a town. Cities are cities and people are people, sir, wherever they live. If you are any kind of gentleman, you will retract that statement.

Here is the thing; your opinion on whether or not Winnipeg deserves an NHL franchise means squat in the real world, as do your online attempts to make yourself into some sort of an arbiter of same.

Really? Really? I had no idea. :shakehead Here is a news flash for you, chum. If the standard of whether you or I or anyone else should post on this board is whether we can actually influence anything, the Board will have no posts. Since you clearly are working under some sort of misconception as to the purpose of an Internet message board, here is the deal: it is a place for people to exchange views on matters of interest to them. If you have a philosophical concern with that, perhaps the internet is not the place for you, or alternatively you can hang out in places where everyone holds precisely the same view as yours. I know of a place.

Winnipeg will one day perhaps gain an NHL franchise when someone such as the Asper family decide they want to bring one here.

Well, of course it is not quite that easy. There are a bunch of folks who want NHL franchises, but the decision as to whether anyone gets to join the club is the league's decision.

It would make an ideal platform for a launch of their Can West Global network into sports programming. David currently has 65 million of his own money on the line in a partnership bid to potentially buy the Bombers & build a new stadium. Perhaps one day soon that money may instead be earmarked toward an NHL purchase or partnership. There are others in this city that could also buy an NHL team either outright or in a partnership... out of pocket money, be they the Richardsons, or maybe the Cohens' (the original Sony Canada distributors), the Parrish family, Chapman, etc. I'm really sick of people on this board saying this city can't afford it, we can. The conditions just weren't right during the Jets exit (the old barn & no hope of a new one, the CDN$, no shared Winnipeg Arena revenues, league revenue sharing), but they are looking much better now.

Well, even billionaires do not consider $150-200 million commitments "pocket money", but that is just quibbling. As for whether Winnipeg can afford it, I stated quite some time ago that one needs to demonstrate what has changed since the las time when the Jets failed. As I understand it, the Winnipeg economy is doing better than it has doen for a decade or more. That is a good start, but a couple of decent slightly above average years does not make a trend. Surely you would concede that it would be foolhardy to base a franchise location or relocation (which is a traumatic and critical decision for any sports league) on the basis of a couple of years of decent economic performance (or bad perfromance, for that mattter). As for the Canadian dollar, same thing. It is a favourable exchange rate now, but it is a risky business decision to depend on it retaining that very high level as part of your basic business plan. Same thig for revenue sharing. Are you aware that revenue sharing is not an automatic thing, even for lower revenue teams? If you have read the CBA, you would know that there are a number of requirements all of which teams must meet in order to qualify. I have read the jetsowners.com business plan, and frankly it is amateur hour. I appreicate you mentioning the big-money Winnipeg families. They do have a wad of it, and I am dead certain there are many others. The fact remains, however, that the major corporate community is a thin roster by major league sports standards. That is no one's fault, but it is what it is. Corporate money makes the pro sports world spin. It will always be so. Winnipeg falls short in that respect. Unless someone shows the NHL that not to be the case (I set out some standards that they would likely require IMO in an earlier post), Winnipeg will not be considered. IMO. Get it? I. M. O.

It may or may not happen, but nothing an anonymous internet poster located in Hamilton has to say about it will impact such a decision one iota. They will base such a potential purchase on their own knowledge of the market, not yours.

See above. If that is the standard for you giving me permission to speak on the topic or not, perhaps you should apply the same standard to yourself. If you do, that should be the last we hear of you.

Incidentally, as far as "anonymous" goes, my handle is my real name, as opposed to posters who hide behind the anonymity of screen names of NHL goalies and former goalies.

As a former long time Jets season ticket holder, I'd hate for us to gain a team at the expense of fans in another city, because I know how they'd feel. If it happened though, such is life. I doubt many others in this city want to gain a team at someone else's loss, so please quit trying to generalize and lump all Winnipeggers in with the small group who post at that Jets Owner site.

Well, I will take you at your word as to how you would feel, notwithstanding your personal attacks (the third such attacks I have experienced in this thread, all from pro-Jet folks) but there is a loud cadre of pro-Jets folks who do not subscribe to that view. Read the board, and review their gloating every time another city has an attendance figure that they deem to be unworthy.

Also, I would defy you to show me where I lumped all Winnipeggers together. My posts have (I think) clearly indicated that I am referring to the pro-Jets devotees. Everyone here knows who i am talking about - the zealots. You also know damn well who I have been talking about. In another thread where I have been posting on this topic, I specifically noted that there were some posters here who took a more reasoned view and could engage in civil discourse on this topic and address the real issues. Based on your personal attacks and your unprovoked attack of the entire city of Hamilton (which is not where I am originally from or even where I work), you do not number among that group (at least based on first impressions).

P.S.: When I started posting on this topic, I decided to fill in some of my location particulars since I was frequently being assumed to be a southerner. I see that many of the pro-Jet zealots have hopped on to that as some kind of target for themselves, so that they can dismiss my views as those of someone with an axe to grind (ie., Hamilton's failure to get a team). Unfortunately for you and the others who have jumped on to that, my disdain for the Hamilton market as a potential NHL market is even greater than that of Winnipeg. I have posted to that effect repeatedly. My views are well established in that regard. Accordingly, please save your fingers from typing such bile.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Wow, you put a lot of effort into that. One can only assume that I struck a nerve and was spot on given your extremely defensive nature.

Rather than get into a long protracted pissing match with you, which seems to be your specialty (along with continually dishing out smarmy comments regarding Jets fans on the whole), I will just suggest that perhaps the internet isn't the place for a self appointed market expert as yourself if you cannot tolerate dissenting opinions that diverge from your own.

Instead of neatly summarizing your rants in long form for me as you've done, I could just have easily perused the multiple threads on this board where you boost your obviously damaged psyche by telling everyone that Winnipeg is unworthy of an NHL franchise I.Y.O.... and arrived at my own conclusions.

The world is made up of differing opinions, I'm okay with that. IMO, there is a great deal more money in this city than even an anonymous self appointed online Winnipeg market analyst such as yourself is aware of, and your opinion of Winnipeg's hockey viability will still mean squat in the future should an NHL franchise com calling.

Winnipeg may or may not get an NHL franchise again. Your opinion on the matter means jack ___ to the big picture.

GSC2k2*

Wow, you put a lot of effort into that. One can only assume that I struck a nerve and was spot on given your extremely defensive nature.

Rather than get into a long protracted pissing match with you, which seems to be your specialty (along with continually dishing out smarmy comments regarding Jets fans on the whole), I will just suggest that perhaps the internet isn't the place for a self appointed market expert as yourself if you cannot tolerate dissenting opinions that diverge from your own.

Instead of neatly summarizing your rants in long form for me as you've done, I could just have easily perused the multiple threads on this board where you boost your obviously damaged psyche by telling everyone that Winnipeg is unworthy of an NHL franchise I.Y.O.... and arrived at my own conclusions.

The world is made up of differing opinions, I'm okay with that. IMO, there is a great deal more money in this city than even an anonymous self appointed online Winnipeg market analyst such as yourself is aware of, and your opinion of Winnipeg's hockey viability will still mean squat in the future should an NHL franchise com calling.

Winnipeg may or may not get an NHL franchise again. Your opinion on the matter means jack ___ to the big picture.
Apparently my opinions meant something to you.

I write lengthy posts because I enjoy writing. I don't find it much of an effort, frankly. I am sorry that you find it such an effort. I particularly enjoy deconstructing people like what you clearly are.

"cannot tolerate dissenting opinions". What a joke. Right after I called you on your not liking dissenting opinions. What is next? "Nyah nyah"? "Your mother wears army boots"? Save yourself the effort, unless you have something meaningful to contribute to the discussion.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005

At what point was a)anyone "proclaiming themselves a Winnipeg market analyst", and b)concluding that their opinion on a hockey message board would, in fact, make a difference as to where a NHL team should or shouldn't be? I do not see where these attacks on specific posters are leading. Yes, the forums are made up of varying opinions, and some posters are far better at conveying their opinions, objectively, than others. If you are able to go into any forum and arive at your own conclusions, then why don't you? Why do you waste your energy and intelligence attacking posters for laying out an opposing argument amidst so many typical "this city deserves a team because hockey needs to be in a traditional market" posters?

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Agreed. It's is almost now about itself. The Seinfeld of hockey threads.

Yah, it's getting a little screwy.

Basically gscarpenter, every one of your posts has been a rebuttle to a post from a NHL return supporter, which anybody with debating talent can do. Example of that is watch the movie "Thank you for Smoking" (great flick). So I'm not gonna argue with a large majority of your posts since they might not be really your opinion, it could be you mostly just disproving a statement from a previous post.

One statement you have made in reference to Winnipeg being a non-viable NHL market is based off of the Jets relocating 10 years ago (or in your words, failed). So based off of that you think Winnipeg shouldn't get a second chance. (statement not a question)

Lousy markets (some much worse than Winnipeg ever was), are getting a second chance or probably will get a second chance. Atlanta, Colorado, and Minnesota have gotten a second chance (from approval of the NHL). And if a team relocates or expansion happens again, it looks like KC is at the top of the list.

So why would Winnipeg not be deserving or not viable?

GSC2k2*

Yah, it's getting a little screwy.

Basically gscarpenter, every one of your posts has been a rebuttle to a post from a NHL return supporter, which anybody with debating talent can do. Example of that is watch the movie "Thank you for Smoking" (great flick). So I'm not gonna argue with a large majority of your posts since they might not be really your opinion, it could be you mostly just disproving a statement from a previous post.

One statement you have made in reference to Winnipeg being a non-viable NHL market is based off of the Jets relocating 10 years ago (or in your words, failed). So based off of that you think Winnipeg shouldn't get a second chance. (statement not a question)

Lousy markets (some much worse than Winnipeg ever was), are getting a second chance or probably will get a second chance. Atlanta, Colorado, and Minnesota have gotten a second chance (from approval of the NHL). And if a team relocates or expansion happens again, it looks like KC is at the top of the list.

So why would Winnipeg not be deserving or not viable?
I don't think I have posted anything which does not reflect my true opinion, so no worries there. That is trolling in my book, and I have no use for it.

You are generally right about the genesis of this discussion. The orignal point to which I was responding was the assumption that many people (read: fellow Canadians) make that, since a city is in canada, it MUST be hockey-mad and would automatically sell out because, well, it's Canadian. It is part of my overall thrust in my writings these days that there are a number of "truisms" that some hockey fans hold on to without actually applying critical thought to whether they are true or not. IMO, they are generally very superficial observations that more often than not, fail to hold water. Off topic, another one is the assumption that youth hockey programs in the south are the way to increase attendance and hockey interest in a market (it isn't). Anyway, you see what I am getting at in general.

About a thousand posts ago, in this thread or the other one about "last night's attendance", I did point out that, given the evidence of the last time Winnipeg (or Quebec or Hartford, no need to pick on a city), the burden is on the city to prove that there is something different that would create a reasonable certainty that there would be a different result. Atlanta is a solid example, in that it is a city that i believe underwent drastic changes in demographics since the last time the NHL was there. It got bigger and richer, and became a hub of an area experiencing tremendous population and economic growth. Demographic studies showed many northerners migrating to that area. Accordingly, one can identify a set of different conditions that could reasonably be expected to create a different result.

As for Minnesota and Colorado, I believe that there was a general consensus that the trigger was pulled way too soon on Colorado. The little research that I have conducted indicates that Colorado did not draw poorly the first time around. Ownership was extremely unstable and changed hands several times before McMullen bought them on the condition they move to NJ. Furthermore, Denver has developed substantially as a city. There accordingly exists the conditions for a move back.

As for Minnesota, I honestly don't know enough about that area to comment definitively, but I do know that the area is identified as a rapidly growing area (3 million people), host to a solid number of Fortune 500 companies and has a reputation as a tech centre in the midwest. Plus, Minnesota had provided very hardy support to the North Stars for many years until the end game was playing out with ownership. Either way, as I have said on various occasions, it is the corporate support that is essential, and Winnipeg does not have the requisite critical corporate mass. IMO, of course. eitehr way, it is clear that an are of that corporate size and population has room for error in terms of assessing support, unlike smaller areas. In fact, of the three cities you mentioned, one consistent characteristic of all of them is that they dwarf the other ex-NHL-cities in size. that alone could account for the additioanl leeway; with a bigger city, there is room for error. One does not have to assume that the city will throw its entire self into the endeavour,as is the assumption for Winnipeg (for example). When you add in the other factors which have changed and/or th eother circumstances (such as the fact that the Denver market never actually "failed"), it was a no-brainer for each of them.

People have been more interested in slagging me personally or trying to find a hidden agenda than they have been interested in trying to demonstrate what I have requested of them, which is simply "Show me why Winnipeg is a better market today than they were in the 90's, when it was unfortunately not a good enough market. Give proof, instead of saying "Winnipeg is hockey stark raving mad. We are Canadians. Of course we will succeed."

Incidentally, "deserving" has absolutely nothing to do with anything. It is a childish concept. This is about money.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
People have been more interested in slagging me personally or trying to find a hidden agenda than they have been interested in trying to demonstrate what I have requested of them, which is simply "Show me why Winnipeg is a better market today than they were in the 90's, when it was unfortunately not a good enough market. Give proof, instead of saying "Winnipeg is hockey stark raving mad. We are Canadians. Of course we will succeed."
Now, I can start throwing out more stats, and links and all that fun stuff, but like you have been doing for the past 7 pages, is responding and in your opinion, disproving all of them. What would be proof in your eyes that would make you a believer and a supporter? Other than a NHL team (hypothetically) be placed in Winnipeg and a success would be made, what hard facts or actions do you need to see?

Looking at the flip side of my question, what would make me stop believing or supporting the dream? For me, it would be Gary Bettman stating in a press conference directly for the return of Hockey to Winnipeg, and state that "after in depth research, Winnipeg will not work in the NHL, or the MTS Centre is not sufficient enough", and publicly provide paperwork backing up his statement, which I'm sure will never happen.

GSC2k2*

Now, I can start throwing out more stats, and links and all that fun stuff, but like you have been doing for the past 7 pages, is responding and in your opinion, disproving all of them. What would be proof in your eyes that would make you a believer and a supporter? Other than a NHL team (hypothetically) be placed in Winnipeg and a success would be made, what hard facts or actions do you need to see?

Looking at the flip side of my question, what would make me stop believing or supporting the dream? For me, it would be Gary Bettman stating in a press conference directly for the return of Hockey to Winnipeg, and state that "after in depth research, Winnipeg will not work in the NHL, or the MTS Centre is not sufficient enough", and publicly provide paperwork backing up his statement, which I'm sure will never happen.
1. Contractual commitments from sufficient members of e corporate community to buy every suite available, in the form of ten-year leases (which is the norm for leasing suites anyway) at NHL prices.

2. 13,000 season ticket holders, with a waiting list.

3. Fully sold sponsorships (boards, etc.), again commited to on a long term basis.

4. A television deal that does not result in lower deals for the current existing Canadian teams.

5. A bigger arena than 15,000 so as to accomodate the growth that must occur in order to be viable in the long term (otherwise growth can only occur through price increases in everything, which can only go so long).

6. A sound business plan (including ticket pricing, etc.) that does not depend on either a strong Canadian dollar or continued revenue sharing in order to allow the franchise to simply break even or eke out a minimal profit.

In other words, what any prudent businessman would want before he would put up his money as equity in such a venture.

Of all of them, only item 4 would be achievable in my view, and I am not even sure about the issue of whether it would result in the cannibalization of the other Canadian teams' TV revenues (which I am sure you would admit would not be a good business strategy for the league or the teams involved).

As to what should make you stop dreaming your dream, I would not think of wanting you to stop. Dreams are for dreaming. Nothing wrong with that.

I repeat again. My real problem is not with guys like Jamiebez (or even you in your clamer moments like now) who would like to see Winnipeg have an NHL team and engage in civil discourse. My problem is with xenophobia, elitism, the intellectually lazy tendency to simply lean on demonstrably incorrect assumptions and the bloodthirsty way that a certain cadre of Winnipeg fans conduct themselves opposite other NHL markets and their fans.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
1. Contractual commitments from sufficient members of e corporate community to buy every suite available, in the form of ten-year leases (which is the norm for leasing suites anyway) at NHL prices.

Well, all the suites currently in the MTS Centre now are leased (I heard somewhere they're 3 year leases), and thats just for AHL. I think it could be done for the NHL
2. 13,000 season ticket holders, with a waiting list.

Thats asking alot for any NHL team. I'm sure most teams currently in the NHL don't get that amount annually as is.
3. Fully sold sponsorships (boards, etc.), again commited to on a long term basis.

Thats a pretty low expectation. Do you really don't have much respect for the the city of Winnipeg do you? It's also a vague statement, unless there is a standard add space price across all the arena's in North America? I'm sure the ACC demands more for add space than most other teams Arenas.
4. A television deal that does not result in lower deals for the current existing Canadian teams.

I have no clue about anything concerning TV deals and what not. So I'm just gonna go back to my old statement of saying the Tigers Cats suck!!:D
5. A bigger arena than 15,000 so as to accomodate the growth that must occur in order to be viable in the long term (otherwise growth can only occur through price increases in everything, which can only go so long).
The MTS centres capacity is fine as is. Hence why us WPGJETS supporters watch the attendance across the NHL. A good chunk of the NHL teams average attendance so far this year have been in the 15000 range or less, and have been for years past. I doubt the growth will ever exceed the current average attendance at all, if anything, it's been declineing slowly.
6. A sound business plan (including ticket pricing, etc.) that does not depend on either a strong Canadian dollar or continued revenue sharing in order to allow the franchise to simply break even or eke out a minimal profit.

Another unfair statement by saying break even or minimal profit. A profit is a profit, which means the investment is successful. Profit goes by the businessman judgement. My idea of a profit may differ from yours. You may think an investment is only worth while if a 20% return is gaurenteed, where I think 10% is great.

If your concerned on wealth in the city, don't be. There are capable wealthy business family's and people that can be owners. Yes, it is limited compared to city's such as Toronto and Calgary. This is an excerpt taken from another forum concerning Canada's top 100 wealthy people:

Interesting read in the latest Canadian Business magazine, profiling Canada's wealthiest 100 people (or families) measured in terms of net worth. Some relevant high points:

- Winnipeg had 3 on the list: the Richardson family at #20, $1.8B, the Asper family at #41, $1.1B, Randy Moffat at #89, $495M.

- Geographically, Winnipeg (as per above) had 3 on the list with a combined net worth of $3.4B; comparatively Edmonton had 1 @ $2.1B.

Also, here's a list of location of Canada's top 500 companies:

City # of Head Offices
Toronto 109
Calgary 66
Montreal 47
MISSISSAUGA 37
Vancouver 35
Winnipeg 18
Markham 12
Ottawa 11
Source: National Post, Financial Post Top 500 Canada’s
Largest Corporations, June 2006

http://www.mississauga.ca/ecity/dow...ataName=data&mimeTypeName=mimeType&id=2000062

Yes, I know it's more stats that can be twisted to prove a persons point of view. All i'm trying to do is stop the average naysayer by writing off Winnipegs chance's based off of corporate support, or that the business community isn't there to help with ticket sales and revenue (add space). That part of the an NHL's success in the Peg, to me, has never been a doubt.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, all the suites currently in the MTS Centre now are leased (I heard somewhere they're 3 year leases), and thats just for AHL. I think it could be done for the NHL

Thats asking alot for any NHL team. I'm sure most teams currently in the NHL don't get that amount annually as is.

Thats a pretty low expectation. Do you really don't have much respect for the the city of Winnipeg do you? It's also a vague statement, unless there is a standard add space price across all the arena's in North America? I'm sure the ACC demands more for add space than most other teams Arenas.

I have no clue about anything concerning TV deals and what not. So I'm just gonna go back to my old statement of saying the Tigers Cats suck!!:D

The MTS centres capacity is fine as is. Hence why us WPGJETS supporters watch the attendance across the NHL. A good chunk of the NHL teams average attendance so far this year have been in the 15000 range or less, and have been for years past. I doubt the growth will ever exceed the current average attendance at all, if anything, it's been declineing slowly.

Another unfair statement by saying break even or minimal profit. A profit is a profit, which means the investment is successful. Profit goes by the businessman judgement. My idea of a profit may differ from yours. You may think an investment is only worth while if a 20% return is gaurenteed, where I think 10% is great.

If your concerned on wealth in the city, don't be. There are capable wealthy business family's and people that can be owners. Yes, it is limited compared to city's such as Toronto and Calgary. This is an excerpt taken from another forum concerning Canada's top 100 wealthy people:

Interesting read in the latest Canadian Business magazine, profiling Canada's wealthiest 100 people (or families) measured in terms of net worth. Some relevant high points:

- Winnipeg had 3 on the list: the Richardson family at #20, $1.8B, the Asper family at #41, $1.1B, Randy Moffat at #89, $495M.

- Geographically, Winnipeg (as per above) had 3 on the list with a combined net worth of $3.4B; comparatively Edmonton had 1 @ $2.1B.

Also, here's a list of location of Canada's top 500 companies:

City # of Head Offices
Toronto 109
Calgary 66
Montreal 47
MISSISSAUGA 37
Vancouver 35
Winnipeg 18
Markham 12
Ottawa 11
Source: National Post, Financial Post Top 500 Canada’s
Largest Corporations, June 2006

http://www.mississauga.ca/ecity/dow...ataName=data&mimeTypeName=mimeType&id=2000062

Yes, I know it's more stats that can be twisted to prove a persons point of view. All i'm trying to do is stop the average naysayer by writing off Winnipegs chance's based off of corporate support, or that the business community isn't there to help with ticket sales and revenue (add space). That part of the an NHL's success in the Peg, to me, has never been a doubt.

Excellent analysis and thanks for doing the research. I agree that it is really amazing how people underatte the corporate support in this city. To restate what has been said earlier im sure Canwest global, one of Canada's televesion giants could theoreticly offer an excellent televesion deal. I also wonder if a study could be done to see about the feasability and costs of enlarging the arena. Im no arcitect but I get the sense that the upper bowl could be expanded downward a few roles which might get the seating capacity to over 16000.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Aren't you placing too much of the onus on Bettman? Why would it, or how could it, come down to him? Wouldn't a prospective owner have to come in and make an offer to purchase a franchise (new or used), perform their own analysis of the Winnipeg market (or Quebec, or Hartford, etc.), and then have the owners, or Board of Gov'ners approve the sale of the team to the owner? Does Bettman have the "Commander in Chief" clause to outright block any deal/relocation? Does he have that absolute authority the way baseball commissioners did for so long?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Aren't you placing too much of the onus on Bettman? Why would it, or how could it, come down to him? Wouldn't a prospective owner have to come in and make an offer to purchase a franchise (new or used), perform their own analysis of the Winnipeg market (or Quebec, or Hartford, etc.), and then have the owners, or Board of Gov'ners approve the sale of the team to the owner? Does Bettman have the "Commander in Chief" clause to outright block any deal/relocation? Does he have that absolute authority the way baseball commissioners did for so long?

You then have to deal with Mark Chipman/ True North otherwise if Chipman wants no part of the deal to own an NHL franchise and if Winnipeg is satisfied w/ the Moose, then so be it. If it wasn't for True North would there be an MTS Centre to replace Winnipeg Arena.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
You then have to deal with Mark Chipman/ True North otherwise if Chipman wants no part of the deal to own an NHL franchise and if Winnipeg is satisfied w/ the Moose, then so be it. If it wasn't for True North would there be an MTS Centre to replace Winnipeg Arena.
Not quite what I was asking, Hutch. Details of any local aside, refer to the questions I posted.

GSC2k2*

I think I speak for everyone reading this thread when I say "huh???"

MoMiester

Oct 26, 2006

Quote:

Razoredge, and others

Again, if W'Peg gets a team, more power to you guys but this is where I have issue as it is just brushed off by the Peggers as a "given" and especially on that website you live by.

It is the assumption that because boxes sold out at $20K-$40K (don't let it slip up to $60K like it has on that webiste over the last year. I talked to people who know in W'Peg and appartently some good deals on boxes were given) will sell out at NHL level of $175K. And that is $175 USD. Your leader has been quoted as saying "Bussinesses just need to pony up" and that is all he has said. Real easy for guy on a website to say. Much different in the real world and I work for large corporation handling $$M of dollars myself. Money does not flow that easy

Your leader sent out a request to local businesses to ask about support but has never published the results. He did this almost a year ago. Could it be no one responded? Again, maybe the box issue is no problem but it always seems as Peggers just blow past that one like it is no big deal or take it for granted that the local business community will "just pony up for it."

For Sponsorship deals, the current deals for the Moose are null and void if the NHL comes to town. Now every sponsorship deal goes up 5-10 fold more expensive. Not sure how much Toyota paid to be the box office sponsor, but with the NHL there, it goes up $$$thousand of dollars. Same with every dasher board ad and ad in the lobby. Same with every promotion, every, every, every thing. The MTS deal is worth $700K a year. That is about $1.5M a year short at a minimal of making the name rights meet other NHL teams. Some teams are getting $4M a year on naming rights And, sponsorships rotate as a team must always be working the next deal. They can not keep getting more and more and more money out of the same people. Might work for some but not all. A downturn in the economy will make many pull back to less or nothing at all.

Every NHL team needs 5 top sponsors. The deals need to be at a minimal near a $1M USD and some need to be much more (naming rights). They will include commercials, board ads, scoreboard ads, etc so you can not double count these. All these sponsors will ask for things like boxes and numerous tickets and free parking.

They will not just do it because they like hockey. There has to be a benifit of increased business.

Even by your fearless leaders website, hockey to work in W'peg has to sell out 15K seats a game at one of the highest tickets prices in the NHL. And at that amount, the team would loose $5M or break even and that is with $7M in revenue sharing. Also with mid salary range of $35M which would be lowest in the league. That is selling out every box and selling every single ticket. That does not even cover the cost of purchase of the team. That is not figured into the math.

This is where the 15K seat area comes in. So all those sponsors that you say are there in W'Peg, they will want tickets. Those would be available with 2K extra seats that MTS wil never, and I repeat, never have. By the math put out there by Peg supporters, the wifes and families of the players would have to buy season tickets just to see a game.

Now add the Mark Chipman factor who has rights to the MTS and owns the Moose. Add him to the factor and he will move out of the way for $$MM of dollars a year or a good chunk of ownership which cost an owership even more.

Hey, you could have Bobby Orr night to get the fans riled up one night but he could only get in the building if he was able to scalp a ticket outside. That is what is wrong with the math.

More power to the Peg for getting NHL back, but sometimes I think the supporters don't always see the full picture or the realities of business and just skip over some items like suite support. Then they look at other franchises who don't sell out every game, having never looked at their corporate support, their sponsorship deals or disposable income in that market or never even been there.

I don't want to fight but I have studied your business case very carefully and followed it for years.

Maybe it works, but will someone take a chance !!!!! I hope so if a team has to move but I am not actively pushing a team to move, especially with the discourse and vile some of the Peggers have against teams added to the NHL since the Jets left.

GSC2k2*

Quote:

Razoredge, and others

Again, if W'Peg gets a team, more power to you guys but this is where I have issue as it is just brushed off by the Peggers as a "given" and especially on that website you live by.

It is the assumption that because boxes sold out at $20K-$40K (don't let it slip up to $60K like it has on that webiste over the last year. I talked to people who know in W'Peg and appartently some good deals on boxes were given) will sell out at NHL level of $175K. And that is $175 USD. Your leader has been quoted as saying "Bussinesses just need to pony up" and that is all he has said. Real easy for guy on a website to say. Much different in the real world and I work for large corporation handling $$M of dollars myself. Money does not flow that easy

Your leader sent out a request to local businesses to ask about support but has never published the results. He did this almost a year ago. Could it be no one responded? Again, maybe the box issue is no problem but it always seems as Peggers just blow past that one like it is no big deal or take it for granted that the local business community will "just pony up for it."

For Sponsorship deals, the current deals for the Moose are null and void if the NHL comes to town. Now every sponsorship deal goes up 5-10 fold more expensive. Not sure how much Toyota paid to be the box office sponsor, but with the NHL there, it goes up $$$thousand of dollars. Same with every dasher board ad and ad in the lobby. Same with every promotion, every, every, every thing. The MTS deal is worth $700K a year. That is about $1.5M a year short at a minimal of making the name rights meet other NHL teams. Some teams are getting $4M a year on naming rights And, sponsorships rotate as a team must always be working the next deal. They can not keep getting more and more and more money out of the same people. Might work for some but not all. A downturn in the economy will make many pull back to less or nothing at all.

Every NHL team needs 5 top sponsors. The deals need to be at a minimal near a $1M USD and some need to be much more (naming rights). They will include commercials, board ads, scoreboard ads, etc so you can not double count these. All these sponsors will ask for things like boxes and numerous tickets and free parking.

They will not just do it because they like hockey. There has to be a benifit of increased business.

Even by your fearless leaders website, hockey to work in W'peg has to sell out 15K seats a game at one of the highest tickets prices in the NHL. And at that amount, the team would loose $5M or break even and that is with $7M in revenue sharing. Also with mid salary range of $35M which would be lowest in the league. That is selling out every box and selling every single ticket. That does not even cover the cost of purchase of the team. That is not figured into the math.

This is where the 15K seat area comes in. So all those sponsors that you say are there in W'Peg, they will want tickets. Those would be available with 2K extra seats that MTS wil never, and I repeat, never have. By the math put out there by Peg supporters, the wifes and families of the players would have to buy season tickets just to see a game.

Now add the Mark Chipman factor who has rights to the MTS and owns the Moose. Add him to the factor and he will move out of the way for $$MM of dollars a year or a good chunk of ownership which cost an owership even more.

Hey, you could have Bobby Orr night to get the fans riled up one night but he could only get in the building if he was able to scalp a ticket outside. That is what is wrong with the math.

More power to the Peg for getting NHL back, but sometimes I think the supporters don't always see the full picture or the realities of business and just skip over some items like suite support. Then they look at other franchises who don't sell out every game, having never looked at their corporate support, their sponsorship deals or disposable income in that market or never even been there.

I don't want to fight but I have studied your business case very carefully and followed it for years.

Maybe it works, but will someone take a chance !!!!! I hope so if a team has to move but I am not actively pushing a team to move, especially with the discourse and vile some of the Peggers have against teams added to the NHL since the Jets left.
Bang on. You beat me to it, but I could not have said it better and probably would have taken more words.

The only thing I might add would be that the "business case" (and I put that in quotations for a reason), even if one were to assume its validity (and I would not for a second), works to that degree only right here, right now. It is blown out of the water if (a) the Cdn/US$ exchange rate goes down, (b) any tickets are unsold or comped or even given to charity, (c) the Peg cannot sustain revenue growth so as to even qualify for revenue sharing (which, if it sells out day one, then by definition it cannot), (d) expenses such as travel do not spike, (e) there is other expense inflation, (f) the cap goes up such that the floor exceeds their salary budget or (g) any other unforseen circumstance occurs.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Lousy markets (some much worse than Winnipeg ever was), are getting a second chance or probably will get a second chance. Atlanta, Colorado, and Minnesota have gotten a second chance (from approval of the NHL).
If you're characterizing the Colorado market in that way (with your "lousy markets" comment), that's ridiculous. Have you any idea what went on here with the Rockies and their beyond-hopeless ownership situation?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad