Did Bettman try and save the Jets?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Uhh nope - at least not in the US.

The VAST, VAST majority of US hockey fans have NEVER played a game of ice hockey in their lives.

I'm sure gsc2k2 will chime in again with the fact that there is no evidence whatsoever to justify the claim that youth hockey has any effect on developing an NHL market - an opinion I generally agree with. If anything, interest in youth hockey is the result of the growth of an NHL market, not the cause.
And there's the inverse of that, so many people have played soccer, but the sport doesn't catch on.
Doctor No said:
That's why I'll always be a vocal supporter of promoting the NHL in non-traditional markets. Because I've seen it work here.
And that is using the strictest deffinition of the highly variable term "nontraditional market"

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I was in Winnipeg late last year and had been told that the Coyotes wanted to wear Jets uniforms for their exhibition game in Winnipeg and the league vetoed the idea...it seems like it would have been a no-brainer...anybody know why the idea was kaboshed?

KrisKing*

I was under the impression that most people thought it would have been pretty cool to see the Jets uniforms flying around the ice one more time.

True that their aren't many coyote fans though, it's pretty much oilers/flames country now. And of course all the old timers still cheer for either the leafs or habs from before even the Jets were around.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
5 of the top 9 highest attendance figures belong to canadian teams. the 6th canadian team, edmonton, is 16th in total attendance, and 13th in percent of capacity at 98.5%.

the defending cup champion, carolina, is 15th in league attendance, and 17th in percent of capacity. not exactly the numbers expected of a cup champion - (see tampa bay for a cup-winning success story, or san jose for a non cup-winning success story).

another team in canada is inevitable.

J-Zilla

Jan 19, 2007
I was in Winnipeg late last year and had been told that the Coyotes wanted to wear Jets uniforms for their exhibition game in Winnipeg and the league vetoed the idea...it seems like it would have been a no-brainer...anybody know why the idea was kaboshed?

Why? The Avalanche went to Quebec CIty and wore Nordiques jerseys. At least Sakic did.

Gamefreak

Bee.
Sep 7, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
5 of the top 9 highest attendance figures belong to canadian teams. the 6th canadian team, edmonton, is 16th in total attendance, and 13th in percent of capacity at 98.5%.

the defending cup champion, carolina, is 15th in league attendance, and 17th in percent of capacity. not exactly the numbers expected of a cup champion - (see tampa bay for a cup-winning success story, or san jose for a non cup-winning success story).

Capacity for Rexall is 16839. You didn't use ESPN figures for attendance, did you? Where it shows the capacity for Rexall at 17099, a number it hasn't been since 02-03?

Crosby87.*

That to me, is a kick in the nuts.

GSC2k2*

This is the very epitome of your posts, Hawker. You assume that Canada supports hockey uniformly because it is Canada. You try to lump in mega-markets like Toronto and semi-mega-markets like Montreal and Vancouver and get some rub from them for a miniscule market like Winnipeg. That is clearly ludicrous. Even trying to get the rub from markets in the middle of the hottest economy in NA (Calgary and Edmonton) is a stretch. The Canadian markets do well at present because of a number of factors which are unrelated to the fact that they are in Canada, which is the only characteristic they share with Winnipeg.

You really need to get it through your head - being in Canada does not ensure automatic success. As well, you would be well served to understand the corollary - not everyone in Canada is a hockey fan. In fact, THE VAST MAJORITY of Canadians are not hockey fans. Tens of millions of Canadians never played hockey, not even once. Tens of millions have never even set foot inside an arena, not even once.

If you want stats, by the way, here are some stats that are actually relevant. Ranked by revenue, Canadian teams are 1st (TO), 3rd (MON), 11th (VAN), 12th (OTT), T13th (EDM) and 18th (CAL). Other than TOR and MON, the other four teams are average revenue teams (VAN just a little bit higher, CAL significantly lower).

Another Canadian team will happen when the market conditions FOR THAT PARTICULAR MARKET dictates it, and not a second sooner. It will not be dictated by the simple fact that a city is located in Canada. Hockey fans buying tickets in Toronto or Montreal or any other Canadian city will not support that effort. If the money is there in THAT MARKET, and the corporate support is there IN THAT MARKET, and the tickets/boxes/sponsorships are assured of being bought IN THAT MARKET, there will in all likelihood be a team IN THAT MARKET.

Personally, I do not see any more markets capable of fitting that criteria. I have read nothing to convince me otherwise, despite begging for evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Attendance means dick !!! It is revenue that counts. Winnipeg and Quebec City did NOT lose there franchises over attendance. Focus on corporate sponsorship, suites, seat licensces, ticket prices, TV revenue, radio revenue, marketing revenue, etc.
Been thru this a million times but a 42 million dollar payroll (below the cap by the way) means a team needs to make one MILLION dollars PROFIT EVERY home game just to pay the bufoons on the ice. (that is about 1.2 MILLION Cdn)
That works out to an AVERAGE ticket price of $63.00 per seat per game (Cdn based on 19,000 capacity). AND THAT STILL ONLY PAYS THE IDIOTS ON THE ICE !!
Will people stop talking attendance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country

For some reason, they are using wrong number for the capacity in Edmonton and have been for a couple years. 16, 839 is capacity. Edmonton has sold out all games this year.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Capacity for Rexall is 16839. You didn't use ESPN figures for attendance, did you? Where it shows the capacity for Rexall at 17099, a number it hasn't been since 02-03?

yes i did use espn's numbers. that makes more sense. thx

Bobby Orr

If you want stats, by the way, here are some stats that are actually relevant. Ranked by revenue, Canadian teams are 1st (TO), 3rd (MON), 11th (VAN), 12th (OTT), T13th (EDM) and 18th (CAL). Other than TOR and MON, the other four teams are average revenue teams (VAN just a little bit higher, CAL significantly lower).

Where did you get the stats from?

GSC2k2*

Where did you get the stats from?
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/NHL-Business/05-06forbes.htm

Although the Forbes profit numbers are deeply suspect (as they should be), and the NHL has certainly rejected them, I have not heard any objections from the NHL or anyone else to the revenue numbers, and they do add up correctly, it would appear. Given ticket prices, concession prices and TV deal revenues, one should be able to get a reasonable bead on the revenue side of the equation. It is the private numbers (operating costs) that Forbes would not have a clue about.

To the extent that the numbers are off, I would suspect (though it is only an opinion)
that the rankings would be pretty close.

Plus, as far as I can see, it's all we have to go on.

Bobby Orr

Although the Forbes profit numbers are deeply suspect (as they should be), and the NHL has certainly rejected them, I have not heard any objections from the NHL or anyone else to the revenue numbers, and they do add up correctly, it would appear. Given ticket prices, concession prices and TV deal revenues, one should be able to get a reasonable bead on the revenue side of the equation. It is the private numbers (operating costs) that Forbes would not have a clue about.

To the extent that the numbers are off, I would suspect (though it is only an opinion)
that the rankings would be pretty close.

Plus, as far as I can see, it's all we have to go on.

I see, I thought you may have had another source. Bettman actually mentioned the Forbes list during the all-star break, citing, as you say, that they have no access to some of the numbers so how could they possible know. The only thing else he mentioned was that he felt the numbers were in fact, low.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Been thru this a million times but a 42 million dollar payroll (below the cap by the way) means a team needs to make one MILLION dollars PROFIT EVERY home game just to pay the bufoons on the ice. (that is about 1.2 MILLION Cdn)
That works out to an AVERAGE ticket price of $63.00 per seat per game (Cdn based on 19,000 capacity). AND THAT STILL ONLY PAYS THE IDIOTS ON THE ICE !!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "profit" include paying for expenses like player salaries to begin with? Also, wouldn't a team get money from things like luxury boxes, club seating, merchandise sales, radio/TV broadcast fees, and so forth and so on (all of which you're omitting)?

Besides, $42 million doesn't necessarily mean $42 million at the end of the season - if the players' salaries exceeds the percentage they're guaranteed, the owners would get escrow back to make up the overage. That would have to be accounted for as well.

Crosby87.*

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't "profit" include paying for expenses like player salaries to begin with? Also, wouldn't a team get money from things like luxury boxes, club seating, merchandise sales, radio/TV broadcast fees, and so forth and so on (all of which you're omitting)?

Besides, $42 million doesn't necessarily mean $42 million at the end of the season - if the players' salaries exceeds the percentage they're guaranteed, the owners would get escrow back to make up the overage. That would have to be accounted for as well.

I'm sure he just forgot to post about that part :P

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Irish Blues, I was only trying to state that basing arguements on attendance alone proves absolutely nothing. It is revenue that counts. I am fully aware that my example was nowhere near complete. I am fully cognizant that teams have other sources of revenue than ticket prices (they also have other expenses).

When I said profit of 1.2 million per game to pay the players, I meant gate revenue minus all game day expenses ( rent or interest payments, game day staff etc).

I am a painter not an artist, was painting a barn door not a portrait.

Do you not agree that attendance alone as a barometer of a team's financial viability is wrong?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Do you not agree that attendance alone as a barometer of a team's financial viability is wrong?
You mean ... just because a team draws 12,500 once it doesn't mean that it's a poor market, the team is going broke, and the league should either contract the team now or move it to Canada where everyone knows the fans will appreciate and support the team more? :sarcasm:

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver

This one sentence here just shows how biased and against Canadian hockey you are. You don't deserve to flash that Canadian flag on your profile.

Vancouver 4 spots higher than the median = "a little bit higher" while Calgary at 3 spots lower than the median = "significantly lower?"

If you want to make a good argument, do it from an unbiased and objective perspective. Stuff like that really detracts from your point.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
This one sentence here just shows how biased and against Canadian hockey you are. You don't deserve to flash that Canadian flag on your profile.

Vancouver 4 spots higher than the median = "a little bit higher" while Calgary at 3 spots lower than the median = "significantly lower?"

If you want to make a good argument, do it from an unbiased and objective perspective. Stuff like that really detracts from your point.

Maybe he's looking at the actual revenue numbers while writing his statement, and not just the ordinal ranking of the teams.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MMista Mo27 said:

Maybe he's looking at the actual revenue numbers while writing his statement, and not just the ordinal ranking of the teams.
He's not.

Vancouver ($80M in Forbe's revenues in '05-'06) is 5 spots and $8.5M above the median ($71.5 - #15 Carolina at $72M and #16 Minnesots at $71M). Calgary ($68M) is 4 spots and only $2.5M below the median.

<insert standard Forbes numbers disclaimer here>, but those were the numbers he was using.

PHP:
Forbes NHL Report
2005-06
(In Millions of Dollars)

Rank  	Team Value 	Revenues 	Operating Income
1 	Toronto Maple Leafs 	332 	119 	41.5
2 	New York Rangers 	306 	109 	17.7
3 	Detroit Red Wings 	258 	89 	5.8
4 	Dallas Stars 	248 	89 	10.0
5 	Philadelphia Flyers 	246 	88 	0.9
6 	Boston Bruins 	235 	86 	4.8