GDT: Devils vs. Jets - 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Like who? Who is better that went for this or less? How much do you know house Rykov?

keeping those pieces is better.

just looks like a bad move right now.

he might be messing up the chemistry in the dressing room and is doing nothing. tried to get on board with the deal but hated it from the second i heard it. u dont have to believe me but i just dont think that guy fits with this team. we are the 'misfits' and he is a typical nyr guy. there is a reason we took nico and the flyers took nolan. they both fit on each team.

we didnt need grabner and this was sheros first bad move. im sure he knows it.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Yeah, this totally sucks. Any good will that was built up during the season is being flushed right now and it’s a pretty shitty feeling. The team is a good group of guys and easy to root for but when you blow a cushion like the one they had, so quickly at that, it’s very difficult to be positive going forward. The one thing that is annoying me though is Cory’s comments after the game. Yeah, it’s great that you constantly say that you need to be better. But enough talk and just follow the f*** through for once. People will shit on guys like Brodeur or Lundqvist sometimes calling out their teams but I think it’s far more aggravating hearing someone say they need to do something only to never do it. Palmieri had it right tonight basically saying not good enough. Moral victories don’t add up to shit.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Annoyed that Cory, our legitimate superstar, or alleged at least, isnt providing the saves when they are needed. These last 5 games have been really tough to bear, as we've lost 4/5 virtually by one goal. We are not receiving that extra effort other teams are getting. Bums out to lose at this point by such a tiny margin. We are still in the playoffs, we can still win our ways on our own to the big dance. We need Cory and our other big guns to step up. Especially goal tending, we've lost so many games due to mediocre goal tending this season.

Taylor Hall is our superstar now, let’s be real. Tonight is the first time he didn’t score in his 27th appearance and we lost. Not a coincidence.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He gave Cory that stupid contract.
He looked like he was gonna be worth it at the time and he WAS in his first year on that contract.

There is an argument to be made that we shouldn't have traded for Cory, but not for the same reasons that people argue against it. People argue against it because they say that Cory wasn't worth the 9th overall pick. He was worth the 9th overall pick, but should we have traded for him to continue competing with band aid, patchwork rosters for 2 more years after acquiring him? That's the valid argument in saying we shouldn't have traded for him at the time. Not that he wasn't worth the 9th overall pick, in a draft where Red Rooster Face would have probably picked another chump at 9th overall, like Curtis Lazar or some junk. Is is legit to ask ''Was it worth it for where the franchise was at the time to trade the 9th overall pick for a goalie when we were probably should have been starting some kind of a rebuild at that time, which would have wasted probably 3-4-5 good years from him?''.

At the same time, most goalies don't decline like this at 30 years old and the ones that do, weren't as good as Schneider before the decline.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Couldn't agree more... but who do you go to on Saturday? With the **** stats we've seen from Cory over his last 10 games, when do you finally decide to go with the guy that racks in W's?

If you miss the playoffs playing KK over Cory, you're called a moron with cause. If you miss the playoffs starting Cory over KK, you're forgiven for counting on your #1 to play like one over the backup that for most of the year looked horrible and had the worst SV% in the league for regular starters.

I think the answer is obvious - you count on the players making the big $ to perform. That's not on the coach.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah, this totally sucks. Any good will that was built up during the season is being flushed right now and it’s a pretty ****ty feeling. The team is a good group of guys and easy to root for but when you blow a cushion like the one they had, so quickly at that, it’s very difficult to be positive going forward. The one thing that is annoying me though is Cory’s comments after the game. Yeah, it’s great that you constantly say that you need to be better. But enough talk and just follow the **** through for once. People will **** on guys like Brodeur or Lundqvist sometimes calling out their teams but I think it’s far more aggravating hearing someone say they need to do something only to never do it. Palmieri had it right tonight basically saying not good enough. Moral victories don’t add up to ****.
I agree, but I don't think Cory really has it in him anymore.

That doesn't mean he won't another good streak in him, Cam Ward has collected a handful of shutouts or even more in the last half decade. Poor goalies don't play poorly in almost every game. Just look at Eddie Lack against Tampa for proof of that, but I think his .920% days are over. Maybe even .915% days, which is terrifying.

He might have a random .920% again, Jimmy Howard did last year after about 3 consecutive junk years. He might even be able to play better in a reduced role, but Shero has gotta be seeing the same things as us at this point. Between every goalie that's suited up this year, I think there's been about 60 stoppable goals going in. Somewhere between 50-60. That's too much. Cut that number in half and we're clear of 80 points if everything else was the same.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
He looked like he was gonna be worth it at the time and he WAS in his first year on that contract.

There is an argument to be made that we shouldn't have traded for Cory, but not for the same reasons that people argue against it. People argue against it because they say that Cory wasn't worth the 9th overall pick. He was worth the 9th overall pick, but should we have traded for him to continue competing with band aid, patchwork rosters for 2 more years after acquiring him? That's the valid argument in saying we shouldn't have traded for him at the time. Not that he wasn't worth the 9th overall pick, in a draft where Red Rooster Face would have probably picked another chump at 9th overall, like Curtis Lazar or some junk. Is is legit to ask ''Was it worth it for where the franchise was at the time to trade the 9th overall pick for a goalie when we were probably should have been starting some kind of a rebuild at that time, which would have wasted probably 3-4-5 good years from him?''.

At the same time, most goalies don't decline like this at 30 years old and the ones that do, weren't as good as Schneider before the decline.

who would we have if we didnt make that deal?

horvat? nichuskin? domi? wennberg?

it was the right move even tho i think marty couldve done wat cory did for a couple years. cory is our guy and i dont think hes as bad as people make him out to be. he is a modern goalie and the team needs to be good in front of him to compensate for his faults. we just arent there yet. swap him and rinne and i think cory does what pekka is doing and rinne does what cory is doing. the team is the difference.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if we go worse than six out of twelve points on this road trip i’m gonna revert to drinking heavily with a yankees cap on watching 2012 highlights
This stretch reminds of that stupid ''Hitler reacts'' video after the former #17 left. There was one funny part where he says ''We were just in the Stanley Cup Finals last year and I was partying and waking up next a hot chick every morning!'' or something like that haha. The last 5 years of Devils hockey make me think back to 2012 when I was waking up next to a nice woman fairly frequently. My current dry spell is almost as long as the Devils playoff dry spell, but even that ain't as long as the current Devils playoff dry spell. Small victories I guess! :help:

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
If you miss the playoffs playing KK over Cory, you're called a moron with cause. If you miss the playoffs starting Cory over KK, you're forgiven for counting on your #1 to play like one over the backup that for most of the year looked horrible and had the worst SV% in the league for regular starters.

I think the answer is obvious - you count on the players making the big $ to perform. That's not on the coach.

so play cory down the stretch.... if we miss its on him.

but then what do we do? who will want him?

but if we make it.......... :)

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
who would we have if we didnt make that deal?

horvat? nichuskin? domi? wennberg?

it was the right move even tho i think marty couldve done wat cory did for a couple years. cory is our guy and i dont think hes as bad as people make him out to be. he is a modern goalie and the team needs to be good in front of him to compensate for his faults. we just arent there yet. swap him and rinne and i think cory does what pekka is doing and rinne does what cory is doing. the team is the difference.
I don't know who we would have picked, but I don't think it was Horvat or Nichushkin (however you spell his name).

And I don't agree with you on Rinne, even though Rinne is very weird. He hasn't been consistent the last several years. In fact, this is the first time he's had consecutive good seasons 10-11 and 11-12. I don't think Rinne would have a .912% on this team and no way in hell Schneider has a .925%-.930% (or whatever Rinne has) on ANY team in the NHL this year. No way. I would bet you my house on that one, that's how confident I am. Cory just isn't a good goaltender anymore, it just sucks that his backup also isn't good.

Rinne did have a couple poor seasons in his early 30's, although one was the lockout season which was short and the other was an injury plagued season, where he didn't even play half the Preds games (If I recall correctly). He wound up having a great season after then, then a crap season again, now two good seasons. Rinne is weird like that.

He's a poor starting goaltender now, I'm calling like it is. He was poor last year and I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he'd bounce back this year, but two years is a trend. Is it a guarantee that he'll never have a good season again? No. I don't think he'll do it consistently anymore though, that's a safe bet. Maybe if he has a goalie that's gonna push him next year (Kinkaid isn't that guy), he'll somehow find an extra gear. I tend to think that he just doesn't have the gear anymore though. It would be like asking 2013 Marty to play like 2003 Marty, he just didn't have it. He could it some nights, but not most of the time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
so play cory down the stretch.... if we miss its on him.

but then what do we do? who will want him?

but if we make it.......... :)
We can't do anything about him until the next CBA or at least until he has a year or two left on his deal.

What do we do then? Upgrade the backup position. Sorry Keith, but we need better next year. You ain't getting anywhere with these two as your tandem, they've already shat the bed this year, don't give them a chance to next year. And IDGAF how many wins Kinkaid has this year, we've lost quite a few because of him, and only won a few because of him.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I agree, but I don't think Cory really has it in him anymore.

That doesn't mean he won't another good streak in him, Cam Ward has collected a handful of shutouts or even more in the last half decade. Poor goalies don't play poorly in almost every game. Just look at Eddie Lack against Tampa for proof of that, but I think his .920% days are over. Maybe even .915% days, which is terrifying.

He might have a random .920% again, Jimmy Howard did last year after about 3 consecutive junk years. He might even be able to play better in a reduced role, but Shero has gotta be seeing the same things as us at this point. Between every goalie that's suited up this year, I think there's been about 60 stoppable goals going in. Somewhere between 50-60. That's too much. Cut that number in half and we're clear of 80 points if everything else was the same.

Even if his puck stopping improves it may not even matter. He’s injury prone as well. This is three straight seasons where he’s missed significant time. Not good at all.

I don’t know, I thought Cory was on his way to having a nice season and he just couldn’t keep it going. Some people think he was hurt before he got really hurt against Boston. Maybe there is some truth to that or maybe he just lost his edge. Who knows? But he’s in poor form at this time, that much is for sure. My thinking has always been that he needed to be at worst the second best performer behind Hall for this team to make the playoff jump. He’s not even close right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Im not buying he's declining... I don't think the drop in SV% over the last two years means much... I don't think the .920's meant that much either

I don't think he was ever as good as people thought, I think sv% numbers without any results or ever playing a real heavy workload/large number of games in a season, tricked a lot of people into believing he was something he never was.

I don't think he's a bad goalie, I just think the top 5 talk was always kind of silly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Even if his puck stopping improves it may not even matter. He’s injury prone as well. This is three straight seasons where he’s missed significant time. Not good at all.

I don’t know, I thought Cory was on his way to having a nice season and he just couldn’t keep it going. Some people think he was hurt before he got really hurt against Boston. Maybe there is some truth to that or maybe he just lost his edge. Who knows? But he’s in poor form at this time, that much is for sure. My thinking has always been that he needed to be at worst the second best performer behind Hall for this team to make the playoff jump. He’s not even close right now.
I don't think he missed significant time or any time last year.

He was sitting a lot because he stunk up the joint a whole lot.

Honestly, I thought his best game since he came back was against Florida. He looked really good for the first 50+ minutes of that game, until the dead angle goal went in.

AveryQuietMan

Oct 2, 2017
dont know what to say to any of this anymore.....

im optimistic to a fault, my gut tells me to panic but then i see all of this young blood and i cant. this goalie situation is a problem but with one move it can be fixed.

pz is 20, bratt and nico are younger. butcher is in his first year. etc etc.

i just like this team and like how they compete with the best. they have beaten some really good teams this year. if we end up sucking again ill be there thats all i can say. im sure everyone else here will be too. glad we can argue about a playoff spot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Im not buying he's declining... I don't think the drop in SV% over the last two years means much... I don't think the .920's meant that much either

I don't think he was ever as good as people thought, I think sv% numbers without any results or ever playing a real heavy workload/large number of games in a season, tricked a lot of people into believing he was something he never was.

I don't think he's a bad goalie, I just think the top 5 talk was always kind of silly.
I think he's declining, eye test tells me he's not who he was when we got him. Let me pull it up for you, I've kept track of this stuff for years. He allowed 122 goals in 15-16 in 58 games, you know how many that I had him counted down for stoppable goals? 23 out of 122. That's a little under 19% of the goals he allowed. I can't believe he only had a .924 save percentage that year, seemed like it should have been a .930 with how few stoppable goals he allowed.

Let's go to 16-17

163 goals allowed in 60 games played. I think 46 or 47 goals were stoppable? That's like 28%-29%, that's a huge increase in stoppable goals allowed and a huge decrease in the save percentage.

This year? 105 goals allowed so far in 38 games played. I have him down for 26 stoppable ones so far. 5 of those have come in the last 3 games. That's almost 26% of the goals allowed. It's not terrible, but it's not good either.

I have Kinkaid down for 26 stoppable goals also, just by coincidence, only he's done that in 10 fewer games.

I have Lack down for 6 stoppable goals on 11 allowed as a Devil in total. Appleby with 1 stoppable goal allowed on just 3 goals allowed. That's just about 60 stoppable goals on the goalies this year out of 196 goals that have been scored on non-empty nets against us this year. That's over 30% right there. If we cut 10, 15, 20 goals off of that, we're talking, I don't know, anywhere from 4 more points to maybe 8 more points currently?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean for crying out loud the team just came off a 6 goal performance. It is absolutely not reasonable to expect that they have to score 4 goals in the very next game against a good goalie to have any chance at the win. That’s just silly.

Dude, we've scored 21 goals in the last 9 games, and 6 of those were against Montreal. So the other 8 games we've scored 15 goals. But no, offense isn't a problem.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Dude, we've scored 21 goals in the last 9 games, and 6 of those were against Montreal. So the other 8 games we've scored 15 goals. But no, offense isn't a problem.
The offense is a problem but the Devils have lost points because they can’t even get to OT. The amount of times the other team scores the first goal is tiring too. Teams can get into their defensive shell faster because of that. 0-8-2 in someone’s last 10 starts is horrific. I don’t think even Blackwood would have a stretch like that in the NHL level. Now I don’t think Schneider is what we’ve seen in 2018 from him but it’s happened and if the Devils do miss the playoffs (still a decent chance to get in lot of games to make a turnaround for Cory) but its hard to look at anything else but a stretch where they got 2 points out of a possible 20 with their number 1 goalie in net allowing at least 3 goals in each of those.

Reactions: mtnet

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If i could add up all the times I was told the team was done, I would have made a tidy profit this year.

Team isn’t done until they are mathematically eliminated. As of right now we are still the first WC.

Philly is dropping and Columbus and Florida are not world beaters. This is a tough road trip, but we can play with anyone and there is character in our locker room.

Reactions: glenwo2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad