Deryk Engelland forced to shave beard off because of Vegas team policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I guarantee it's because of the owners military connection. He seems a little too obsessive with all things military. Either that or he thinks pro hockey teams think they should be run like a 1980s IBM.

Anyway, I can't really think of any workplace where someone would say "you sir have a beard, and you have now lost my business because of it."

I wonder if the Knights players have to cover their tattoos for the media as well?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've worked all over the world for close on 30 years in management and executive level roles in the high tech industry. Anyone ever told me to shave my beard would be seeing me in court.

How can you argue having a beard doesn't look professional in this day and age? Tell that to Sir Richard Branson, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Sergey Brin, Marc Benioff, Lloyd Blankfein, Zach Nelson, Sir Peter Bonfield, Tim Wozniak, Richard Parsons, Lord Sugar, Jeff Weiner etc etc etc

Any of those guys sporting a Hobo beards like Burns or Thornton?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Do you really want someone on your team if they throw a fit over having to shave their beard :laugh:

If they're going to complain about that, I wonder what else they'll complain about.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
"It's just superstition"? You don't understand professional sports do you? The sporting world is fueled by superstition and a Stanley Cup winning team that looks like a bunch of pretty models is not going to change it.

A little presumptuous of you Mike to say that I don't understand professional sports just because I don't care for the Duck Dynasty look on players. I can see individual players having their own quirks/superstitions as that's been the case for decades but it doesn't make sense when a team starts to believe they shouldn't touch a conference trophy or they need to grow a beard or else they won't be able to win the Stanley Cup. I'm happy the Penguins shattered the myth that the conference trophy shouldn't be touched or you'll jinx your team's chance at winning the Cup. All the great players of the past have won the Cup without a beard and they certainly weren't considered pretty boys. They were just hard working guys on a mission to win the championship.

:jets

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
In this thread we see a clear demonstration of just how far childrens’ entitlement has come.

It’s called respecting your elders. Respecting your employer.

Not everything is “**** you! You’re not my real dad!”

In this thread we see a clear demonstration of just how far elders entitlement (and their delusions about it) have come.

Respect is earned, not given. You're not entitled to respect because you emerged from the womb before me.

I am absolutely overjoyed that the younger generation is pushing back against the weak, subservient mindset passed down to them from their elders.

Reactions: cptjeff

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Originally Posted by @JesseGranger_
Deryk Engelland's beard is gone. Team policy

This is stupid, maybe because of the Army connections.
It's dumb. Who cares if a player had a beard or not. Such an old school way of thinking.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
In this thread we see a clear demonstration of just how far elders entitlement (and their delusions about it) have come.

Respect is earned, not given. You're not entitled to respect because you emerged from the womb before me.

I am absolutely overjoyed that the younger generation is pushing back against the weak, subservient mindset passed down to them from their elders.
You don't have to respect someone because they are older, you have to respect their wishes if they are your boss though, young or old.
His boss said shave the beard. Push back against your bosses orders, see where that gets you.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
You don't have to respect someone because they are older, you have to respect their wishes if they are your boss though, young or old.
His boss said shave the beard. Push back against your bosses orders, see where that gets you.

This is an example of the weak, subservient mindset of older generations I was talking about. As a result of being able to fall right out of high school and into well paying jobs, they developed a dependency on that particular employer (as they did not develop any unique skills that were transferable), along with a sense of entitlement to being given a job (resulting in an expectation that it is the responsibility of government to provide jobs).

Instead of a partnership where one trades their time for money, it becomes an asymmetric relationship where one trades as much of their time as is asked for as little money as the other will pay.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Personally the trend for stupid beards in just that stupid, but equally it doesn't offend me. If they want to look like idiots it's fine by me.

However if I'm developing a brand, corporate image or whatever I want the public face(s) of my business to look a certain way. I'd probably have a policy on how my employees, players, whomever dresses and presents themselves. As long as that policy applies to everyone, star player and scrub alike it's fine. 'Generation entitled' needs to get over themselves. Sometimes you need to conform and do as requested. As long as you're not singled out there is nothing to complain about.

Getting outraged over having a beard shaved/trimmed really does define 'first world problems'.

And complaining about others who are speaking out against an outdated mindset isn't a "first world problem"?

Let's not go down that road.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Someone needs to find that "Old man yells at cloud" Simpsons meme.

I think it applies to some of what's being said in this thread.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
This is an example of the weak, subservient mindset of older generations I was talking about. As a result of being able to fall right out of high school and into well paying jobs, they developed a dependency on that particular employer (as they did not develop any unique skills that were transferable), along with a sense of entitlement to being given a job (resulting in an expectation that it is the responsibility of government to provide jobs).

Instead of a partnership where one trades their time for money, it becomes an asymmetric relationship where one trades as much of their time as is asked for as little money as the other will pay.
Thats a nice little world you've come up with. Especially where jobs are scarce and employees are not. Let me know how it works out for you.

You want to make the rules, become your own boss. Or like you say, develop some unique skills where you are essentially not replaceable, and in essence are your own boss. In the meantime, while you're collecting a paycheque, you'll have to follow the rules your employer sets out for you, or you will be replaced by someone who will.

I don't like a lot of rules my employer sets out for me, but I also know I can't replicate my salary by walking dogs on Saturdays either

Judging by your join date, I assume you are employed and not in school at this time?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
When I go to work I have to follow their dress and grooming policy, as I'm sure many of us here do as well.

The difference is that these are professional atheletes. They aren't businessmen. They aren't salesmen. It is t necessary for them to promote a clean cut, wholesome image.

Their situation doesn't apply to a lot of other people's situations, and I still don't get why people insist on applying it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The difference is that these are professional atheletes. They aren't businessmen. They aren't salesmen. It is t necessary for them to promote a clean cut, wholesome image.

Their situation doesn't apply to a lot of other people's situations, and I still don't get why people insist on applying it.
They are in the public eye and are literally the face of the business so if the owner wishes to create that image for the team, so be it.

Reactions: AnimalFear

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Rules like this are all part of the idea of putting the name on the front of the jersey before the name on the back. And to be honest if so much of your identity is tied up in your facial hair that you can't bear to shave it, you may be too much of a head case to be useful anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frank Drebin

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
They are in the public eye and are literally the face of the business so if the owner wishes to create that image for the team, so be it.

Obviously the owner has the right to institute such a policy within reason. That doesn't mean it isn't an outdated policy or something that does t fit well with their situation.

But like I've said many times in this thread, these are professional atheletes. They aren't in an environment where it's necessary to promote an image like this. They aren't salesmen or business executives either.

If having a beard as a professional atheletes bothers people to the point where they don't want to go to games or spend money on the product, then I don't really know what to tell you. Other than that you probably have some pressing issues you need to have sorted out.

This "they're trying to promote a professional image" idea as a professional atheletes doesn't make sense.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
On the fence.

If a player disageees for religious reasons then I am all for the player.

If they disagree because of fashion reasons... suck it up and get with the program. Throw the razor out when your career is over.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Obviously the owner has the right to institute such a policy within reason. That doesn't mean it isn't an outdated policy or something that does t fit well with their situation.

But like I've said many times in this thread, these are professional atheletes. They aren't in an environment where it's necessary to promote an image like this. They aren't salesmen or business executives either.

If having a beard as a professional atheletes bothers people to the point where they don't want to go to games or spend money on the product, then I don't really know what to tell you. Other than that you probably have some pressing issues you need to have sorted out.

This "they're trying to promote a professional image" idea as a professional atheletes doesn't make sense.
It doesn't bother me that these guys have beards. It also doesn't bother me that some teams have policies that do not allow beards.

I'm just saying that unless you are your own employer, you conduct yourself how your employer asks you to. These guys are in the public eye, and if their employer doesn't want scraggly beards representing his team in the public eye, thats his prerogative. You might feel that its outdated and it very well may be, but obviously the people with the power to make decisions do not, and its their opinions that matter, not yours or mine.

While we're on the subject, why the suits before the game? Why not let the guys roll in in blue jeans or jogging pants with sneakers, whatever is most comfortable for them?

Reactions: iamjs

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Someone needs to find that "Old man yells at cloud" Simpsons meme.

I think it applies to some of what's being said in this thread.

After a couple hours of searching, I think I might have found it. Is this it?

xOZOUzx.jpg

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
A little presumptuous of you Mike to say that I don't understand professional sports just because I don't care for the Duck Dynasty look on players. I can see individual players having their own quirks/superstitions as that's been the case for decades but it doesn't make sense when a team starts to believe they shouldn't touch a conference trophy or they need to grow a beard or else they won't be able to win the Stanley Cup. I'm happy the Penguins shattered the myth that the conference trophy shouldn't be touched or you'll jinx your team's chance at winning the Cup. All the great players of the past have won the Cup without a beard and they certainly weren't considered pretty boys. They were just hard working guys on a mission to win the championship.

:jets
Go back to the phrase I was actually quoting and referring to. You seemed to be downplaying the role of superstition in sports and I was simply stating that superstition drives much of what happens in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad