Deryk Engelland forced to shave beard off because of Vegas team policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
Thats a nice little world you've come up with. Especially where jobs are scarce and employees are not. Let me know how it works out for you.

You want to make the rules, become your own boss. Or like you say, develop some unique skills where you are essentially not replaceable, and in essence are your own boss. In the meantime, while you're collecting a paycheque, you'll have to follow the rules your employer sets out for you, or you will be replaced by someone who will.

I don't like a lot of rules my employer sets out for me, but I also know I can't replicate my salary by walking dogs on Saturdays either

Judging by your join date, I assume you are employed and not in school at this time?

I work in IT, so yea I have unique skills that allows me to say **** you when I feel it's warranted. It's not an accident either, I looked and what the job landscape was and what piqued my interest. It's not my first or second choice, but it pays well and gives me the autonomy to be my own man not a company drone.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I work in IT, so yea I have unique skills that allows me to say **** you when I feel it's warranted. It's not an accident either, I looked and what the job landscape was and what piqued my interest. It's not my first or second choice, but it pays well and gives me the autonomy to be my own man not a company drone.
good for you, it's no fun being a company drone and I'll never buy in to that. My escape is financial freedom (retirement) but that's still a ways away so in the meantime I have to play the role, as do most working people. It is what it is.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Lou let them have playoff beards during his time in NJ and let certain vets keep their high #s if they got traded or signed here(Gilmour, Richer, Mogilny, Jagr)

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
Hi,

Will you take $1 million?

'Yes!'

You have to shave your beard?

'No'

Are you a baptized Sikh?

'Umm...No'

Okay...so what's the problem?

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Probably just doesn't want the caveman trend to go to the Knights. Some of the guys out there have short beards.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
My sister was one of the first female students at the Citadel in South Carolina, a military academy and they insisted on her having short hair. As far as I know there was no outrage.

I don't disagree but I'm sure there are exceptions.

That's because the Citadel IS a military academy. With military standards and all. If your sister was one of the first female students, she had to have short hair like the male students (now the rules are a little more relaxed and women can put their hair up as long as it doesn't touch their collar).

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I wouldn't shave my beard for any organization. Let alone a hockey team. It's about control. With that said, if Vegas wants to implement silly rules that's fine with me. I just wouldn't play for them. But I understand why others would.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
I never understood "team policies" like that.

In my opinion, it gives the team a militant structure to introduce these rules. I understand that there are some people out there that put more value on being "serious team bros," but strict policies like that take away from the "hockey is fun" attitude.

At least for me.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I never understood "team policies" like that.

In my opinion, it gives the team a militant structure to introduce these rules. I understand that there are some people out there that put more value on being "serious team bros," but strict policies like that take away from the "hockey is fun" attitude.

At least for me.

Yeah, hockey has a rich tradition with beards. Foley needs to let go of his military past. We get it, you went to West Point, nobody cares dude.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
From Wikipedia:

"Since 1973, the New York Yankees Major League Baseball (MLB) club have enforced an appearance policy regulating how their players must be presented. It states that players must have their hair cut above the collar of their baseball jersey and no beards are permitted. The policy has raised some controversy and there have been calls for its abolition.
The policy was brought in in 1973 by former club owner George Steinbrenner, reportedly after seeing several players' hair covering their numbers during performance of the "Star Spangled Banner" and noting down their numbers (as he did not know their names) to instruct them to cut their hair. As a result, he introduced an appearance policy for the Yankees. The official policy states "All players, coaches and male executives are forbidden to display any facial hair other than mustaches (except for religious reasons), and scalp hair may not be grown below the collar. Long sideburns and 'mutton chops' are not specifically banned." This was because Steinbrenner wanted the Yankees to adopt a corporate attitude."

Since 1973, the Yankees have the highest win percentage (.566), most World Series titles (7) and most division titles (16) of any MLB franchise

I presume Lou Lamoriello based his own policy off of Steinbrenner's, and Bill Foley could be emulating them and/or is drawing from his military past like with the team name.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anti-facial hair policies always come from crusty old white guys who can't even comprehend the issues it can cause for people who aren't them. And this article is 24 years old.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/03/us/beard-ban-ruled-unfair-to-blacks.html

In the latest upset to an employer's prohibition against beards, a Federal appeals court in St. Louis has ruled that Domino's Pizza must waive its ban for black employees who have a common and sometimes painful skin ailment.

Many employers, particularly law-enforcement agencies, have unbending rules against beards, and those rules have been a sporadic subject of civil rights litigation for almost 20 years. Black men, who are by far the most frequent sufferers of the skin ailment, pseudofolliculitis barbae, or PFB, say the ban unfairly restricts their employment opportunities.

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I wouldn't shave my beard for any organization. Let alone a hockey team. It's about control. With that said, if Vegas wants to implement silly rules that's fine with me. I just wouldn't play for them. But I understand why others would.
You wouldn't play for them because you had to cut your beard? What a juvenile. You know, it's not like Engelland "choose" to sign with Las Vegas. He was drafted by them. So what are you going to do...be the Colin Kaepernick of social ****ing justice...because you can't have a beard? GTFO of here. What do you think that makes you, some genius with world class principles?

More than a few jobs have dress codes and standards for personal appearance. You are free to find an entirely new job, or get suspended and make ZERO money in this instance, if you feel the organizations desire for uniform appearance is out of control. By the way...the Yankees are considered a world class organization...and no one has beards on that team either. They allow mustaches. Tha's it. Hair cannot be below the collar. They don't even have their names on their jerseys. No one's EVER made a stink, and they've had that policy for Christ knows how long. No one's ever fussed about it.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
You wouldn't play for them because you had to cut your beard? What a juvenile. You know, it's not like Engelland "choose" to sign with Las Vegas. He was drafted by them. So what are you going to do...be the Colin Kaepernick of social ****ing justice...because you can't have a beard? GTFO of here. What do you think that makes you, some genius with world class principles?

More than a few jobs have dress codes and standards for personal appearance. You are free to find an entirely new job, or get suspended and make ZERO money in this instance, if you feel the organizations desire for uniform appearance is out of control. By the way...the Yankees are considered a world class organization...and no one has beards on that team either. They allow mustaches. Tha's it. Hair cannot be below the collar. They don't even have their names on their jerseys. No one's EVER made a stink, and they've had that policy for Christ knows how long. No one's ever fussed about it.

So let me get this straight, me not wanting to shave my face is juvenile but them wanting me shave face is not juvenile?. Got it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Since 1973, the Yankees have the highest win percentage (.566), most World Series titles (7) and most division titles (16) of any MLB franchise

Of course the logical thing to do here is to attribute their success to the length of their hair.

Throw out your advanced stats and massive contracts, people. We got it figured out.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Of course the logical thing to do here is to attribute their success to the length of their hair.

Throw out your advanced stats and massive contracts, people. We got it figured out.

I'd like to see where it says there's any correlation between the two. The point being anyone who was bu++ hur+ about the team policy during that time and either didn't sign or asked to be traded easily could have missed out on some rings.

Last edited:

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
So let me get this straight, me not wanting to shave my face is juvenile but them wanting me shave face is not juvenile?. Got it.
No...wanting your emloyees to maintain a uniform appearance is not juvenile.

You don't get it at all. You just think you should be able to do whatever the **** you want, and that's just not the way it always works. You can't have a tattoo that says "**** you" on your forehead either. I'm sure certain establishments frown on employees having nose rings, or huge gaping holes in their earlobes, too.

When you employ people, those people are a reflection of your company, and your product. As such, you can have whatever rules you want regarding their appearance. It's not juvenile. It's real life adult ****. You signed a contract to work for a company, and you'l do it under their rules or you won't get paid. You can feel free to pout on the sideline like an entitled brat under suspension for violation of team/company policy.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
When you employ people, those people are a reflection of your company, and your product. As such, you can have whatever rules you want regarding their appearance. It's not juvenile. It's real life adult ****. You signed a contract to work for a company, and you'l do it under their rules or you won't get paid. You can feel free to pout on the sideline like an entitled brat under suspension for violation of team/company policy.

Just because you can make whatever rule you want, does not mean that your rules can't be juvenile.

Reactions: Steddy33

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012

You don't get it at all. You just think you should be able to do whatever the **** you want, and that's just not the way it always works. You can't have a tattoo that says "**** you" on your forehead either. I'm sure certain establishments frown on employees having nose rings, or huge gaping holes in their earlobes, too.

It's a hockey team.

You do realize that hair grows on almost all adult men's faces right? That's not the same as a tattoo or piercing.

How would a company that forces women to shave their anything go over in 2017? I honestly don't know if that's a policy at any corporations but I can't imagine it is. Or force them to wear make up.

Yes personal appearance is important, I agree. But it's a hockey team. Show me some kind of proof it matters what a that facial hair matters to a teams performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad