Deryk Engelland forced to shave beard off because of Vegas team policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
What's wrong with the Duck Dynasty guys? They work hard and have built a billion dollar company from nothing. In terms of work ethic should be models for the rest of us.

There's nothing wrong with the Duck Dynasty guys. They've done a good job building up their empire and they do work hard. All the power to them. My objection is to the hockey players that feel they need to have a beard to win the Stanley Cup. As evdog pointed out, it's just superstition. There's been teams that refuse to touch the conference trophy thinking it will jinx them and they won't win the Stanley Cup if they do so. Well one of the teams is always wrong since only one of them will win the Cup. Pittsburgh finally proved it to be nonsense when they touched the conference trophy the last 2 years and also won the Stanley Cup both years. We just need a clean shaven team to also win the Stanley Cup to prove you don't need a beard to win it.

:jets

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
There's nothing wrong with the Duck Dynasty guys. They've done a good job building up their empire and they do work hard. All the power to them. My objection is to the hockey players that feel they need to have a beard to win the Stanley Cup. As evdog pointed out, it's just superstition. There's been teams that refuse to touch the conference trophy thinking it will jinx them and they won't win the Stanley Cup if they do so. Well one of the teams is always wrong since only one of them will win the Cup. Pittsburgh finally proved it to be nonsense when they touched the conference trophy the last 2 years and also won the Stanley Cup both years. We just need a clean shaven team to also win the Stanley Cup to prove you don't need a beard to win it.

:jets
"It's just superstition"? You don't understand professional sports do you? The sporting world is fueled by superstition and a Stanley Cup winning team that looks like a bunch of pretty models is not going to change it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I support a no beard policy and would implement it if I owned a team. Zero facial hair, zero long hair.
Well, you wouldn't have me as a fan. My team would look like real hockey players - not to mention most of the guys in the stands. My team would be more focused on winning than how pretty players looked in the mirror.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I've worked all over the world for close on 30 years in management and executive level roles in the high tech industry. Anyone ever told me to shave my beard would be seeing me in court.

How can you argue having a beard doesn't look professional in this day and age? Tell that to Sir Richard Branson, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Sergey Brin, Marc Benioff, Lloyd Blankfein, Zach Nelson, Sir Peter Bonfield, Tim Wozniak, Richard Parsons, Lord Sugar, Jeff Weiner etc etc etc

Duck Dynasty
Joe Thornton
Brent Burns

Sure they are all successful and wealthy, but if the question is, 'Do they look professional?' The answer is no - even in this day and age. I see no problem with a management team wanting to nip that in the bud before they are faced with it on their bench.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Stupid rule. Pretty annoying how hockey attempts to stifle any sliver of individuality. They are grown men who run on ice with blades strapped to their feet and slap a piece of rubber. It should not be taken nearly this seriously.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Such a silly rule. I'll never understand sports organizations that do this.

For the same reason that I told a student to never wear trashy looking jeans, or to wear a hat again when she works at my business. It's about looking and behaving professional to our customers and clients. Lou is old school and expects his squad to look, and act the part.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Shave that moustache off, Lanny McDonald! You're just trying to show off and be vainglorious! You're putting yourself ahead of the rest of the team, Lanny, with your selfish decision to grow a moustache!

Johnny Unitas; now there's a haircut you can set your watch to!

I love that this is a contact spectator sport primarily played by foul mouthed Canadian country boy jocks and primarily watched by drunken louts, but the etiquette regarding appearances is more severe than in the House of Lords.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Some people actually look better with beards. I am not talking about the Brent Burns post apocalyptic look. It works on some men, especially with a nice suit. Seriously, baby boomers are the worst in what they think constitutes attractiveness or professionalism when a completely natural process like facial hair is looked down upon as some sort of mental disorder or rebellion. Beards have been around a lot longer than they have.

Not everyone should have a beard and some people are better off with a 5 o clock shadow, some look better with shaved heads, etc. Stop trying to turn people into corporate drones by means of making everyone look the same. We can all be corporate drones with different looks.

Wait a minute. I thought all baby boomers had beards?

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Clean shaven or short mustache only policy is pretty common for public-facing employees. Allowing trimmed beards is reasonable. If players don't like it they should get a clause in the next CBA, but I doubt they would give up 0.0001%HRR to get it.
That said, I like the crazy beards and don't like the policy. My wife made me shave mine (was even getting a couple epic white streaks in it!) and she doesn't even pay me.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sorry buddy, you can't become a Knight someday. Stick to the Bruins.

dogbruins2.jpg

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
How does beard, long hair or high numbers affect a player? So stupid. Lou is an dinosaur, and seems to be a POS from what I've gathered.

Well I mean it the difference is insignificant, but let's be honest having a big beard and super long hair is less comfortable and more likely to get in your way than not having them. Still enforcing the rules to the extreme is dumb.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Personally the trend for stupid beards in just that stupid, but equally it doesn't offend me. If they want to look like idiots it's fine by me.

However if I'm developing a brand, corporate image or whatever I want the public face(s) of my business to look a certain way. I'd probably have a policy on how my employees, players, whomever dresses and presents themselves. As long as that policy applies to everyone, star player and scrub alike it's fine. 'Generation entitled' needs to get over themselves. Sometimes you need to conform and do as requested. As long as you're not singled out there is nothing to complain about.

Getting outraged over having a beard shaved/trimmed really does define 'first world problems'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad