Deryk Engelland forced to shave beard off because of Vegas team policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Some people actually look better with beards. I am not talking about the Brent Burns post apocalyptic look. It works on some men, especially with a nice suit. Seriously, baby boomers are the worst in what they think constitutes attractiveness or professionalism when a completely natural process like facial hair is looked down upon as some sort of mental disorder or rebellion. Beards have been around a lot longer than they have.

Not everyone should have a beard and some people are better off with a 5 o clock shadow, some look better with shaved heads, etc. Stop trying to turn people into corporate drones by means of making everyone look the same. We can all be corporate drones with different looks.

Reactions: BlueDream

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well groomed beards aren’t the issue in the professionalism discussion at least for me. It’s the hobo beards...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
No beard policy... you've gotta be kidding me. This is hands-down the funniest rule I've ever heard of when it comes to pro sports. Might as well make a rule that you must not have missing teeth. :sarcasm:

Reactions: habdynasty

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Well groomed beards aren’t the issue in the professionalism discussion at least for me. It’s the hobo beards...
But it seems their policy is a pretty blanket statement towards no beards at all?

Hobo beards are awesome, its a huge relief when you are hungry and you find half a Banana hiding in there and you can have a quick snack. Don't knock it till you try it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
To what owners? A select few? I'd venture a guess to say that not many of them care about such a thing as evidenced by the beards grown during the playoffs over the years. There's zero evidence that it effects them competitively or financially.

I'd also wager that you're "simply wrong" about what fans think, based solely on what's been stated in this thread.

Start a poll.

1. Must be clean shaven
2. Must maintain a groomed look with facial hair
3. Let’s field a team of Hobo’s.

If hobo beards weren’t funny, the other two combined surpass them IMO. LOL....

Playoff beards start around playoff time, not the issue as that’s the norm. Rip Van Winkle/Hobo beards aren’t In society.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But it seems their policy is a pretty blanket statement towards no beards at all?

Hobo beards are awesome, its a huge relief when you are hungry and you find half a Banana hiding in there and you can have a quick snack. Don't knock it till you try it.

I just threw up a little in my mouth. ;)

Not sure....if the policy is ‘must be babyface at all times’ then it’s going too far IMO.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Start a poll.

1. Must be clean shaven
2. Must maintain a groomed look with facial hair
3. Let’s field a team of Hobo’s.

If hobo beards weren’t funny, the other two combined surpass them IMO. LOL....

Playoff beards start around playoff time, not the issue as that’s the norm. Rip Van Winkle/Hobo beards aren’t In society.

We're talking about two different things here.

Pretty much the whole thread I've been against the "no beards policy" the Leafs and Vegas have which means they have to be clean shaven, or close to it.

The Brent Burns beard is a different story. I understand why more people wouldn't like that as much as a shorter, or more well groomed beard. With that said, it doesn't bother me and falls into the category of a non-issue in my opinion.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
How will they ever win the Cup without playoff beards?

The same way that Guy Lafleur and the Montreal Canadiens did --- talent and hard work. It would actually be nice to see a team without beards win the Stanley Cup just to prove it can be done. It's gotten to the point where some guys look less like hockey players and more like cast members of Duck Dynasty.

:jets

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't get why this is such a huge issue.

Lou would impose number restrictions and beards as well. No one seems to care about that.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I frown upon any organization that implements such a rule. Nj, toronto, now Vegas.

It's stupid....I'd love to see Burns go to a team where they enforced this. What if he just says no, are you going to bench on of the best D in the league? So ridiculous.

Reactions: The ORB

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think beards signify something political to the generation in their 60s and 70s. That could be the reason for this. Besides no longer having that same meaning to the guys playing the game, they are now in fashion and a hockey tradition.

I am sure there are guys who, given a choice to shave or play somewhere else, will play somewhere else. So, it's a bad idea on several levels. But I say go for it!

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Its a job. They are getting paid millions. But I do think this dampens the NHL. let players be themselves. Helps market a league that desperately needs it. NBA has it down to a tee. problems is its caused that league to be self entitled and selfish. Too much freedom.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Its a job. They are getting paid millions. But I do think this dampens the NHL. let players be themselves. Helps market a league that desperately needs it. NBA has it down to a tee. problems is its caused that league to be self entitled and selfish. Too much freedom.

Dampens the NHL? Who cares if NHLers have beards or not? Facial hair on a player influences my enjoyment of a game about as much as body hair, head hair or tattoos do - which is to say not at all.
If a team has a standard they expect their players to maintain let them; if a player is so silly that he refuses to play for a team over something as silly as facial hair, then that's when you play the self-entitled and selfish card.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

The other issue I have as well is that these players all give the same robotic answers in every interview as well. You then have teams that enforce that you have to all look the same as well? Sounds pretty f***ing boring to me...

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
I've worked all over the world for close on 30 years in management and executive level roles in the high tech industry. Anyone ever told me to shave my beard would be seeing me in court.

How can you argue having a beard doesn't look professional in this day and age? Tell that to Sir Richard Branson, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Sergey Brin, Marc Benioff, Lloyd Blankfein, Zach Nelson, Sir Peter Bonfield, Tim Wozniak, Richard Parsons, Lord Sugar, Jeff Weiner etc etc etc

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I've worked all over the world for close on 30 years in management and executive level roles in the high tech industry. Anyone ever told me to shave my beard would be seeing me in court.

How can you argue having a beard doesn't look professional in this day and age? Tell that to Sir Richard Branson, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Sergey Brin, Marc Benioff, Lloyd Blankfein, Zach Nelson, Sir Peter Bonfield, Tim Wozniak, Richard Parsons, Lord Sugar, Jeff Weiner etc etc etc

The guys you mentioned are millionaire/billionaires with no bosses. They are their own boss.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Some people actually look better with beards.
My wife keeps telling me this. And then adds: "Don't shave!" The first time I shaved off my beard my ultra-conservative and traditional father (The one who was always b*****g about my hair length) told me I should grow it back.

I don't know if it's a question of me looking better or they're finding a nice way of telling me I'm ugly.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The same way that Guy Lafleur and the Montreal Canadiens did --- talent and hard work. It would actually be nice to see a team without beards win the Stanley Cup just to prove it can be done. It's gotten to the point where some guys look less like hockey players and more like cast members of Duck Dynasty.

:jets

What's wrong with the Duck Dynasty guys? They work hard and have built a billion dollar company from nothing. In terms of work ethic should be models for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad