Deryk Engelland forced to shave beard off because of Vegas team policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Stupid rule. Would love to see teams with something stupid like this have elite players say if you won't let me have a beard then trade me because I will have a beard if I want one.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
The players wear helmets and unless you zoom on their face, they all look pretty similar on TV. If you're selling something to a client at your 9 to 5 job, all he or she sees is your face.

NHLers do a lot more things than just play hocker... They spend a lot of time doing PR stuff too. Plus, any commercial/advertisements they're apart of will often show faces...

I think its pretty narrow minded to think that NHL hockey players aren't in a business...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
NHLers do a lot more things than just play hocker... They spend a lot of time doing PR stuff too. Plus, any commercial/advertisements they're apart of will often show faces...

I think its pretty narrow minded to think that NHL hockey players aren't in a business...

I never said it was not a business, but it's a business in which appearances don't really matter. One of the most popular players in the NHL in Alex Ovechkin is ugly as hell with the gap between his teeth and his grey hair and nobody cares about his looks.

Reactions: haveandare

Cotton

May 13, 2013
And complaining about others who are speaking out against an outdated mindset isn't a "first world problem"?

Let's not go down that road.

Hah, it totally is.

Go visit Rwanda or Syria and get a look at real problems then tell me this is important stuff.

Reactions: bobermay

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I never said it was not a business, but it's a business in which appearances don't really matter. One of the most popular players in the NHL in Alex Ovechkin is ugly as hell with the gap between his teeth and his grey hair and nobody cares about his looks.

If nobody cares by how he looks, why are you annoyed by this policy...?

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
What are they? The Yankees (and now Leafs)?

I could see not allowing Thornton beards, but a regular one should be fine.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He did... His choice was to sign a contract with the Vegas Golden Knights... with that comes following team policy.

Regardless of the contract obligations and team policies, this obsession with players being clean shaven, not wearing high numbers and having short hair is an ass backwards mentality. Seriously, why would anyone get to this level of micro management?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Regardless of the contract obligations and team policies, this obsession with players being clean shaven, not wearing high numbers and having short hair is an ass backwards mentality. Seriously, why would anyone get to this level of micro management?

Its not an obsession, its a policy.

Rationalle being it helps players getting away from selfish mentalities... and buy into a team concept...

RE: Jerseys... who cares about jersey numbers...? I'd be okay if player gets NO say in their numbers..

RE: Shaving and Hair... Its about showing commitment to your team... As silly and small as it may be, it shows that all players are committed to work together as a team...

Reactions: Cotton

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Its not an obsession, its a policy.

Rationalle being it helps players getting away from selfish mentalities... and buy into a team concept...

RE: Jerseys... who cares about jersey numbers...? I'd be okay if player gets NO say in their numbers..

RE: Shaving and Hair... Its about showing commitment to your team... As silly and small as it may be, it shows that all players are committed to work together as a team...

I'm speechless, I can't believe anyone would buy into that mentality. Do you really think something as insignificant as sporting a beard goes against team commitment and team synergy?

It is an obsession at this level.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm speechless, I can't believe anyone would buy into that mentality. Do you really think something as insignificant as sporting a beard goes against team commitment and team synergy?

It is an obsession at this level.

Personally, No... I Don't... But I still don't hate the policy, and don't think its an obsession... I almost think those hating on it are the ones being obsessed about it.

I mean, theres so many other business jobs in other industries that have this policy (many of which get no face-time on camera...), and its a form of professionalism.

I think some hockey teams LACK the professionalism / workplace type atmosphere... and small policies like no facial hair / short hair DOES put in place some boundaries... Really, its not a bad thing IMO.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's a stupid policy. A beard or unique look is not going to detract from the team mindset unless a specific player does not himself have a team mindset.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Personally, No... I Don't... But I still don't hate the policy, and don't think its an obsession... I almost think those hating on it are the ones being obsessed about it.

I mean, theres so many other business jobs in other industries that have this policy (many of which get no face-time on camera...), and its a form of professionalism.

I think some hockey teams LACK the professionalism / workplace type atmosphere... and small policies like no facial hair / short hair DOES put in place some boundaries... Really, its not a bad thing IMO.

It shouldn't have a workplace type atmosphere. The NHL is in the entertainment business. Fans and players alike should have fun and enjoy the atmosphere. This is like complaining that the members of a band lack professionalism.

Reactions: haveandare

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008

It's a job where you hit a rubber object with a stick. It's a game. It's an entertainment venture where employees are paid millions.

This doesn't even get to the fact that a lot of these types of requirements are arguably antiquated anyway. I was clean shaven when I started at my current job. I now sport a full beard. Did my work ethic or commitment change just because I chose not to shave it?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It shouldn't have a workplace type atmosphere. The NHL is in the entertainment business. Fans and players alike should have fun and enjoy the atmosphere. This is like complaining that the members of a band lack professionalism.

I completely disagree with all of this, but will leave it at that... clearly we won't be seeing eye-to-eye ;)

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
It's a job where you hit a rubber object with a stick. It's a game. It's an entertainment venture where employees are paid millions.

This doesn't even get to the fact that a lot of these types of requirements are arguably antiquated anyway. I was clean shaven when I started at my current job. I now sport a full beard. Did my work ethic or commitment change just because I chose not to shave it?

If you read my respond to the bolded, you'd see that I don't think a beard changes work ethic or commitment... but I do think professionalism and workplace type mentality in professional hockey is important.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
If you read my respond to the bolded, you'd see that I don't think a beard changes work ethic or commitment... but I do think professionalism and workplace type mentality in professional hockey is important.
Does my beard reduce me looking professional? What exactly is a workplace type mentality?

If this is so important then why are beards such a hockey tradition in the most important part of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->