Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can understand the logic behind the Leafs wanting to “keep him hungry” for a roster spot, but man, don’t think it’s necessary in this case. He looks ready to go

The kids played 2 NHL games in his career, I'm sure he's still plenty hungry

The best guy should play, if your good enough your old enough

Babcock has proven he can't be trusted? you make some really posts lol

With Polak? Yes Babcock has proven that bad performance and abject failure aren't enough to get him out of the lineup

Make the decision for him and waive that plug

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

With Polak? Yes Babcock has proven that bad performance and abject failure aren't enough to get him out of the lineup

Your too anti-Polak, he has played ok ... He is a good PK guy and plays a lot of defensive minutes, mentors the young guys, protects his mates... Gardiner has played how many years in the league and cant kill a penalty or break up a 2 on 1.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Those two 2nds were oh so long ago and SJ fans are still bitter they gave that up for him

Polak needs to go Babcock has proven he can't be trusted in how and when he uses the guy, the only argument he has going for him is he can PK, but we're actually better without him, there is no argument for Polak

Dermott was easily one of our best D when he played, he proven at lower levels he can eat minutes, play the kid for **** sakes, what have we got to lose? Being forced to waive Polak? Some choice
Again I would rather get something for him than lose him for squat. Re Dermott not playing we should also factor in that he has recently come back from injury so I would rather be cautious than lose home for an extended period because we pushed him too hard.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I can understand the logic behind the Leafs wanting to “keep him hungry” for a roster spot, but man, don’t think it’s necessary in this case. He looks ready to go
I really don't think this is about the keeping him hungry approach, which I do approve of. I genuinely believe it's 1st asset management and 2nd caution with a rookie who just came back from injury
There is no doubt he will be on the team as soon as it makes sense from a business perspective

Reactions: francis246

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Your too anti-Polak, he has played ok ... He is a good PK guy and plays a lot of defensive minutes, mentors the young guys, protects his mates... Gardiner has played how many years in the league and cant kill a penalty or break up a 2 on 1.

By just about every statistical measure Polak is worse that replacement level, he makes the team worse when he's on the ice and the PK is better without him

What's he actually good for besides "grit and intangibles"?

Again I would rather get something for him than lose him for squat. Re Dermott not playing we should also factor in that he has recently come back from injury so I would rather be cautious than lose home for an extended period because we pushed him too hard.

Polak's worth nothing he's ****** useless

Dermott wasn't playing on a b2b and played 16 minutes the last game, if he was fit he should of been in the lineup rather than sit in the press box

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
By just about every statistical measure Polak is worse that replacement level, he makes the team worse when he's on the ice and the PK is better without him

Dermott wasn't playing on a b2b and played 16 minutes the last game, if he was fit he should of been in the lineup rather than sit in the press box
People said he was worthless and Lou got 2 2nds for him once before
:dunno:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Polaks 4-5 PK stats look fine to me

PlayerPositionGPTOICFCACF%GFGAGF%
1Morgan RiellyD4558:57148614.001811.11
2Roman PolakD2655:39117812.362433.33
3Ron HainseyD45188:07313109.091156.25
4Nikita ZaitsevD34114:49192158.120100.00
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I like Dermott but it's a little early to be pushing him like you are.
  • In Dermotts 1st game he did not start a shift in the defensive zone.
  • In Dermotts 2nd game he started over 70% of his shifts in the offensive zone.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
People said he was worthless and Lou got 2 2nds for him once before
:dunno:

Someone once thought Seabrook was worth a 7 year 6.85M contract once as well

Times change

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He's an utter abomination 5v5

The team loses at a much much higher rate when he's in the lineup

He takes a ton of penalties

The PK isn't better statistically with him on the ice

Polak is bad, every D on our roster is better than him and it's pure nepotism that he still gets a regular shift

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Times change

Polak is bad, every D on our roster is better than him and it's pure nepotism that he still gets a regular shift

Polak had a higher possession rate than Gardiner at 5-vs-5 in last nights game and Polak only had a 27% offensive zone start and Gardiner had 68% an offensive zone start!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Times change

Yes time changes. So what return is worse than nothing? A 5th? If we get anything that's a win.
I still don't think we trade him but either way he won't hit waivers because he would get picked up.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Times change

You know whats really funny, the more I defend Polak the more I will be considered a "Leaf hater" within this group of beauties lol

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Polak had a higher possession rate than Gardiner at 5-vs-5 in last nights game and Polak only had a 27% offensive zone start and Gardiner had 68% an offensive zone start!
i've not been a fan of Gardiner this year at all, but he had a way better night than Polak

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yes time changes. So what return is worse than nothing? A 5th? If we get anything that's a win.
I still don't think we trade him but either way he won't hit waivers because he would get picked up.
I'd rather no pick and Dermott plays the full season over a 5th and Dermott plays half without being ready for PKing in playoffs

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

If that's keeping him hungry Kapanen must have malnutrition and Leivo died of starvation by now.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Our long term depth is

Rielly. Zaitsev
Dermott. Lilly
Borgman

Basically? We don’t have much hope for anyone else right?

If we had one top pair D that we could groom or trade for to play with rielly would be perfect

Rielly. Xxxx
Dermott. Lilly
Borgman. Zaitsev

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'd rather no pick and Dermott plays the full season over a 5th and Dermott plays half without being ready for PKing in playoffs
Well there is still about half a season to go and im sure he will be pk ready soon.
I don't know if I would be ok with getting nothing for polak when Dermott will have a long career with us. He's only 21so a good age for a d man to start cutting his teeth.
I guess I'm just a patient person I guess

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

thank you for posting this! people want to blame Polak for being shit on the PK but we've only given up 4 goals with him on the PK.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I predict Polak is plastered to the press box by the end of the year. Zaitsev gets back, Dermott sticks and Borgman beats out Carrick and Polak. I think it's going to work out.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
thank you for posting this! people want to blame Polak for being **** on the PK but we've only given up 4 goals with him on the PK.

Regardless they are negative. Momentum killers that keep the best players off the ice.

He has put the leafs down 5 on 3 how many times since January??

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Regardless they are negative. Momentum killers that keep the best players off the ice.

He has put the leafs down 5 on 3 how many times since January??

What are you talking about? We are only talking about his role on the pk. He's given up the least amount of goals as a penalty killer. How is that negative?

There's no secret Polak takes a lot of penalties but the team as a whole has been getting called for quite a few penalities each

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What are you talking about? We are only talking about his role on the pk. He's given up the least amount of goals as a penalty killer. How is that negative?

There's no secret Polak takes a lot of penalties but the team as a whole has been getting called for quite a few penalities each

Yep i read that wrong, but regardless, the PK percentage is the same with or without him. So he has no effect. Followed by the fact that he takes tons of penalties (including 5 on 3's three times in like 10 days). He is not needed for us right now.

Also we are 11-12 with him and 14-4 without him.......

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
How Polak does on the PK is pretty irrelevant considering he’s in the box most of the time anyways.

He absolutely needs to go... ideally before TDL. I wouldn’t mind riding out with him for the season, but if that means Dermott is benched or sent to the minors then no thanks.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I predict Polak is plastered to the press box by the end of the year. Zaitsev gets back, Dermott sticks and Borgman beats out Carrick and Polak. I think it's going to work out.

In that scenario, Id imagine Zaitsev-Gardiner. Dermott-Borgman. They Leafs wont have 2 rookie's on the bottom pair. Reilly-Hainsey should not be broken up. Moving Gardiner on the bottom pair at 4.05 million a year is also not smart under the cap. Polak is a solid Pker and reliable bottom pair D. They have no one who battles like he does around his own net and down low, he suits playoff hockey where the threshold for penalties widens. If Dermott isnt called back up, its a coach on a power trip flexing his muscles(highest salary including players) to everyone around him. Babcock is a good coach, stubborn and to me its clear he goes on power trips to often and punishes his players. Imo, this makes players quit on u long term. There is a fine line between cracking the whip and not.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes