Recalled/Assigned: Dermott to the Leafs Marincin back to the Marlies

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah god forbid you reward a young player with an extra game coming off a terrific performance.

Meanwhile, Polak constantly stinks the place up night after night yet finds himself right back in every game.

Are people still serious when they think Babcock is actually serious about his accountability? People, there is no ****ing accountability with him - he'll play his favorites regardless of how terrible they play.

Lou needs to remove Polak permanently. Dermott hasn't barely out played Polak, he was right there with the most important players on the team giving quality shift after high quality shift.

Carrick, Borg and Dermott are good solid prospects andvall are better than Polak.

Polak isn't in the Rotation? Ohhhh yeah yeah it must make sense because Babcock says so.

Screw him he is wrong.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
2 whole games, of course he needs to sit, what 21 year old wouldn't, he must be exhausted

So much for icing the best team, I thought that playing your best team helped you win, guess that theory just got chucked out the window

Do you know what the main problem with Polak is?
Babcock, he just can't help himself and if Polak remains on this team he's playing, that's why he needs to go
I really believe they have a formula of how many minutes a kid can play in the league. Kind of like a pitch count in MLB. Probably something from the sports science department to avoid injury. Could be why we were so healthy last year?
Icing the best team still needs to be balanced with asset management. Otherwise we would be barking about how we just lost a player for nothing

Reactions: BM14

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I really believe they have a formula of how many minutes a kid can play in the league. Kind of like a pitch count in MLB. Probably something from the sports science department to avoid injury. Could be why we were so healthy last year?
Icing the best team still needs to be balanced with asset management. Otherwise we would be barking about how we just lost a player for nothing

Seems like that's one explanation. If Matthews, Nylander, Marner have a certain amount of minutes they can play without hitting some threshold for more injuries or risk burnout down the stretch you have to play them on energy saver mode. Maybe they're not too worried about over working and burning out Komarov and Kadri.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Seems like that's one explanation. If Matthews, Nylander, Marner have a certain amount of minutes they can play without hitting some threshold for more injuries or risk burnout down the stretch you have to play them on energy saver mode. Maybe they're not too worried about over working and burning out Komarov and Kadri.
That's the vet thing. I remember last year the big 3 went through some odd minute. One game they would play heavy minutes then a lot less the next game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That's the vet thing. I remember last year the big 3 went through some odd minute. One game they would play heavy minutes then a lot less the next game.

Problem with this approach is some guys are inherently workhorses, who get better with a heavier workload.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

He's played 2 games Salt and got 16 minutes a game max, we both watch the Marlies and know that kid is capable of miles more work than that

Honestly who in there right mind would take Polak if we waived him? He's easily one of the worst players in the league

I'd Crack a bottle of bubbly if some team did the Leafs a favour and saved Babcock from himself by claiming that plug

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's played 2 games Salt and got 16 minutes a game max, we both watch the Marlies and know that kid is capable of miles more work than that

Honestly who in there right mind would take Polak if we waived him? He's easily one of the worst players in the league

I'd Crack a bottle of bubbly if some team did the Leafs a favour and saved Babcock from himself by claiming that plug
We got 2 2nds for him once when a lot of posters were saying the same thing. The point is you never know.
That said I doubt we trade him. Carrick seems the more likely target for a trade.
Playing in the AHL it's different kiwi. You know that.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Dermott sent back down. Hopefully temporary. The kid is a stud
He'll be back on Tuesday. As nice as a 5 day break is, he still needs to get in games, and going 8 days between games would not do him well when the Leafs get back to action.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'll be back on Tuesday. As nice as a 5 day break is, he still needs to get in games, and going 8 days between games would not do him well when the Leafs get back to action.

It'll be nice for him to be back up and watch from the press box next to Leivo. All that game watching will prepare him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I wish we could have seen more from him. With just two games at the NHL level, we can't really make a determination on how ready he is. But based on those two games, it would sure look nice to move forward with:

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Dermott
Borgman - Zaitsev

Reactions: 1specter

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
It'll be nice for him to be back up and watch from the press box next to Leivo. All that game watching will prepare him.
I don't think their situations are very similar at all. Leivo brings something the Leafs have a lot of, as a scoring winger who isn't the greatest defensively. Babcock has a set wishlist for his forwards, and unfortunately for Leivo, there's nobody he's surpassed yet.

For Dermott, he's basically competing against Borgman and Carrick. Neither of them are on special teams, and neither is a veteran. So for the next handful of games, Babs will rotate the 3 of them, and soon enough Dermott will likely emerge as the best option. If he can gain enough trust to play PK, then he also surpasses Polak who fills a role that right now, in Babcock's eyes, Dermott is not ready for.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't think their situations are very similar at all. Leivo brings something the Leafs have a lot of, as a scoring winger who isn't the greatest defensively. Babcock has a set wishlist for his forwards, and unfortunately for Leivo, there's nobody he's surpassed yet.

For Dermott, he's basically competing against Borgman and Carrick. Neither of them are on special teams, and neither is a veteran. So for the next handful of games, Babs will rotate the 3 of them, and soon enough Dermott will likely emerge as the best option. If he can gain enough trust to play PK, then he also surpasses Polak who fills a role that right now, in Babcock's eyes, Dermott is not ready for.

Leivo isn't any worst than Martin defensively. Nor would playing Komarov less considering his struggles would be an issue. Leivo had some really good games despite playing a game or two every couple weeks. Babcock preaches accountability and playing to win, while you have Martin not trusted to play more than a few minutes game and he doesn't PP, PK or do anything remotely good outside of the odd body check. You cannot sit there and tell me with a straight face that demoting Komarov to the lower lines, sitting Martin for at least a couple games/weeks and inserting someone like Leivo wouldn't and couldn't be any worse. Real talk here.

Dermott shouldn't be only competing with Carrick and Borgman. That's the problem. He played really well and he was rewarded with a press box seat. I don't really care for his reasoning nor does it make any sense to sit him when he had no reason to sit. Dermott has been killing penalties night in and out for the top PK team in the AHL... I think he can manage to replace Polak and his PK abilities no matter how he wants to spin this. Polak is the worst 5 on 5 defenseman we have on this team by far... but let's just cling to the idea that his PK work on defence somehow makes up for it.

Also, to add, on of the main reasons we keep having to kill penalties is because of Polak.

While their situations are different, they were both victims of bad decisions made by the coaching staff.

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Confident Dermott will be back following the bye if Gauthier's been in the lineup for a bit and also was sent down. IIRC, Gauthier also was recalled earlier in the season and didn't draw in, yet now he's back and playing, and not simply as an injury fill-in. Slow, steady process and progress with our kids, but it looks like it's happening and moving forward.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
We got 2 2nds for him once when a lot of posters were saying the same thing. The point is you never know.
That said I doubt we trade him. Carrick seems the more likely target for a trade.
Him and spaling. ALso it was from San Jose they usually sell their 1st round picks.

iliketheteam

Jan 10, 2018
Dermott has played 28 1/2 minutes in the NHL and it's clear that he destined for stardom. What could the team possibly be waiting for in getting rid of Polak? Who cares if Zaitsev is injured, or another possible injury could occur.

We have no chance at a deep playoff run without Dermott, why haven't roster moves happened yet?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Expect trades as late as possible due to cap. By and large trades are going that way. TD and summer are the time for them nowadays.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Those two 2nds were oh so long ago and SJ fans are still bitter they gave that up for him

Polak needs to go Babcock has proven he can't be trusted in how and when he uses the guy, the only argument he has going for him is he can PK, but we're actually better without him, there is no argument for Polak

Dermott was easily one of our best D when he played, he proven at lower levels he can eat minutes, play the kid for **** sakes, what have we got to lose? Being forced to waive Polak? Some choice

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can understand the logic behind the Leafs wanting to “keep him hungry” for a roster spot, but man, don’t think it’s necessary in this case. He looks ready to go

Reactions: Kiwi leafs fan

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Those two 2nds were oh so long ago and SJ fans are still bitter they gave that up for him

Polak needs to go Babcock has proven he can't be trusted in how and when he uses the guy, the only argument he has going for him is he can PK, but we're actually better without him, there is no argument for Polak

Dermott was easily one of our best D when he played, he proven at lower levels he can eat minutes, play the kid for **** sakes, what have we got to lose? Being forced to waive Polak? Some choice
Babcock has proven he can't be trusted? you make some really bad posts lol

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hope Dermott is back after the bye week, he looked great. Obviously it was just low minutes in 2 games, no guarantee that he’s ready to be an NHL regular, but he definitely looked good enough to deserve more games to prove himself.

Gauthier, though, I hope he stays in the AHL for the rest of the season. He’s getting dominated out there, doesn’t look too able to keep up with the speed of the game, IMO he’s been a clear downgrade on Moore. I do hold out hope that he can be an NHL regular eventually, but I also think he’s not there yet.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad