Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 3 - Sunrise 6 BRUINS 2 - Florida leads series 2-1

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If the league aren't going to do anything about a blatant sucker punch to one of their stars then i want Bennett's head on a stick, no being nice and offering him a fight, i want him looking over his shoulder every time he's out there on the ice. Don't care how long the suspension is, make it worth the time and money lost when someone cheap shots your captain like that.
Exactly, the Bruins are getting called for shit like "Holding the Stick" while the Panthers are slapping them around. The game management calls in the end are to appease the bean counters who would say "look, the penalty minutes weren't that far apart. I want my guys playing borderline to over the line dirty at this point. Farce for a farce. Let them throw out so many guys that the game ends in suspensions and bleeding p***y cats.

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
That's true, unfortunately. On the hit itself, I'd agree there's no definitive proof of the exact nature of the contact. But I'd say three things: 1) Marchand got a concussion, and a punch/high contact seems to be the only way he could have gotten it because his head hits neither the ice nor the boards when he went down, 2) Bennett's got form on these sneaky high hits, and 3) Monty made it very clear after the game that he thought the contact was high and intentional. So whether or not it was dirty or not, the Bruins thought it was, but did nothing.

I'll be the first to say that I think many hockey fans are stuck in the 1980s, when in reality for better or worse the game has changed and a lot of the stuff people call for in response to perceived cheap shots and bad hits, or folks wanting to see line brawls or whatever else, they just aren't going to happen. But when your captain is taken down and as a team you think it's an illegal hit to the head, with intent by a guy who's known for this type of stuff, I still think there has to be some kind of response. You can't let it go completely unanswered. That the Bruins did was pretty damning and just another sign that the Panthers can do what they want to them with minimal repercussions.
On that hit by Bennett, it sounds to me like the coaches didn’t know the hit was “illegal” until after they saw the video after the game was already over. And if it was illegal they should take it up with the NHLPA and NHL safety office. After reading the response by Monty they definitely saw something illegal.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Valid points. I don't know for sure if they knew it was a dirty play though? It seemed like the bench knew, and you can understand why they didn't at first, but at 4-0 it's inexcusable if they knew.

For some reason I think Cassidy and now Montgomery want their guys to be robotic. Stay in your lane, peel off hits and get back on D and play whistle to whistle without incident. Sticking up for each other has always seemed to be a question from us here, over the years after the glory years.

I think they heeded the NHL's (warning) a little too much but they did get boned on the Lauko thing.

Bottom line though Boston probably just isn't as good as Florida, but the effort the past two games is a major indictment on everyone in that locker room from the coaches to the players.

If the coaches knew, which it seems they did at some point, but the players didn't, that does raise an interesting question - do you tell them during the game, or not?

As for the coaches more generally, yeah I think you're right at least to a point, but I'm not sure just how much it's a factor. Monty at least talks at times about push back and the need for players to protect each other. Cassidy walked into Vegas and definitely let that team keep their identity as a tough, hard-checking team that takes no nonsense. Did he have a change of heart there, or simply adjust to the new roster that he had to work with? I think both guys are very much puck-first and all about puck management and maintaining your structure etc. before all else, but how much that has restricted their players from being physical and looking to punish and wear down the opposition as much as possible I'm not sure.

And yeah, I think it's pretty clear and there's no shame in acknowledging that the Panthers are the better team. They're also very much the fresher team. Think it was easier for them to get 100+ points in the regular season than it was for Boston, and they had a much simpler and quicker first round. It all adds up. The Bruins in comparison look gassed. How much that's mental/will power and how much sheer physical exhaustion is debatable, but either way unfortunately they're struggling to rise above it. Hopefully they can at least get themselves up for a strong showing in what might be the last home game.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
On that hit by Bennett, it sounds to me like the coaches didn’t know the hit was “illegal” until after they saw the video after the game was already over. And if it was illegal they should take it up with the NHLPA and NHL safety office. After reading the response by Monty they definitely saw something illegal.

Yeah it may have been post-game, although the video guys are typically pretty quick at picking up and reviewing this sort of stuff. But if it was after the game, then you're looking at what the response should be in G4. We'll see I guess, although it's always harder to make a meaningful statement after the heat of the immediate moment/contest has passed.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bruin

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Not a Bruins or Marchand fan but that punch to the head by Bennett was 100% intentional. If it's true that Marchand is out with a concussion, it's the exact same play that concussed Knies last playoffs.

He loves to punch players in the head with the single hand holding the stick so he has his excuse for why it was in a fist. Both plays he immediately one hands the stick and punches the player with the hand holding the stick in a fist. Really hard to argue it's accidental when it keeps happening.

Thank you, and welcome. There's something wrong with a league that allows this sneaky shit game in/game out. Year in/year out. Today there are camera's everywhere, the proof is there. The NHL doesn't seem to care about the optics of it, and they think that between the thievery of their on ice officials, DoPS, weird draft lottery that's fixed, on and on. They won't even make it easy for us the fans to see as much and many games as we can without paying through the nose. The NFL saturates the airwaves (if i can still call it that) makes it available in every way/method possible. The NHL wants to grow the game in hot weather climates, keep expanding, and pushing it on people who couldn't care less about it.
They're the 4th professional league and if/when soccer takes root they'll be 5th, 6th after the NPA (National Pickleball Association) becomes a league in 2035 :sarcasm:
How long before they bend over backwards to put a team in Mexico or Europe? Hey NHL, worry about your loyal fans first and try to actually protect the players.

Reactions: KWbruin

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Not a Bruins or Marchand fan but that punch to the head by Bennett was 100% intentional. If it's true that Marchand is out with a concussion, it's the exact same play that concussed Knies last playoffs.

He loves to punch players in the head with the single hand holding the stick so he has his excuse for why it was in a fist. Both plays he immediately one hands the stick and punches the player with the hand holding the stick in a fist. Really hard to argue it's accidental when it keeps happening.

Left handed shot I know if I'm about to one hand the stick I do use my right hand/arm but that seems to be his go to sly cheap shot almost as a disguise in a way and conveniently along the boards.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
yeah...Happy Birthday Brad. Too bad you had to take a cheap shot and be out of the rest of the series.:mad::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire::madfire:

he needs to be hit hard by every Bruin.
They haven't showed up for Pasta or Marchy. I do not understand this at all. Maybe Monty thinks that they can win and has them afraid to take care of business but this isn't hockey it's a brutalization.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I remember the Blues series in 2019 like it was yesterday. Seems like they were pounding us. Every chance they got. Their lower tier players were quick with the dirty hits to the point of being suspended and always seemed to injure our players. Look how that ended up for them. Toughness still plays a very large part in this league, especially in the playoffs.
In 2011 we took out like 3 of Vancouver's defensemen and one of their forwards (though TBF only the Boychuk/Raymond hit was even borderline questionable, the others were clean).

At some point you just have to target their best players

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
They try to get one or two guys like Hathaway or Maroon to take care it all if we’re lucky. And even then it’s pointless if the rest of the team doesn’t buy into to a pack mentality.

Tkachuk dissing Nosek’s wife on a hot mic last year without a single teammate having his back was very telling. One of the more humiliating things I’ve seen as a Bruins fan. Like three Panthers all over the guy between the benches and the rest of the Bruins just acted like nothing was going on.

I get that the refs tend to get in the way at times the odd time they react but I’m so tired of this tail between the legs shit from these guys when they get pushed around. It’s like they’re okay with being punked by the other team.
That Nosek incident was outrageous. How not one teammate stood up for him while he was obviously distraught over whatever Tkachuk said to him and not one teammate punishing anyone on the Panthers was unbelievable. The new guys must've been like "what, no pride?"

A somewhat different crew yet the same result in fewer games with different B's fouled.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I think "getting tougher" needs to be moved up near the top of the off season to-do list. Running into Florida every year, you'll have no other choice. I'm sure it's high on Toronto's list too.
Toronto started getting tougher this year. Depending on their new coach and if they trade Marner, I'll bet that they'll acquire a couple of weapons akin to, and besides Domi, Knies, Reaves, and Edmunson. With that little bit of toughness added, if they changed their defensive system earlier they'd have beaten the Bruin this O.S.

Speaking of Nosek, underrated loss this year. His faceoffs and solid play on the 4th line is something we've really missed this postseason
I'm too lazy to look it up, can't remember where he went and for how much $$? Big loss IMO.

the era of "enforcers" passed once Shawn Thornton went away..... the league changed to what you're seeing out west.... you need a player or multiple players that have skillsets.... the specialized era is over.... hence why the League ended "Staged fights" LIKE 3 FIGHTS IN 4 sec...
Yeah, it's so much better now with the sneaky behind the play crap that goes on. Then you have on ice officials manipulating the games and we have a travesty.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I remember the Blues series in 2019 like it was yesterday. Seems like they were pounding us. Every chance they got. Their lower tier players were quick with the dirty hits to the point of being suspended and always seemed to injure our players. Look how that ended up for them. Toughness still plays a very large part in this league, especially in the playoffs.
Its a collision sport, it absolutely should.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Toronto started getting tougher this year. Depending on their new coach and if they trade Marner, I'll bet that they'll acquire a couple of weapons akin to, and besides Domi, Knies, Reaves, and Edmunson. With that little bit of toughness added, if they changed their defensive system earlier they'd have beaten the Bruin this O.S.
And now the Leafs are talking about signing Berube as their new head coach

khanomcat

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria, BC
What you say is true and I'd rather be in the playoffs as well, but you also have to consider it's pretty much impossible to win the cup without star players on your roster. So if you can find a way to get a Stone and Eichel etc. the way Vegas did maybe you don't need the draft but generally you have to draft your high end talent. Trading away all the 1st rounders and maybe missing on Lysell, we haven't really gotten to where we are better, we just get slowly worse.

We have a plethora of bottom 6 players but very few high end players. It's not a recipe for future success.
Good points here. I can’t say I’m happy with where we’re at. I want more grit. And I have always hated throwing away first round picks. But aren’t Pasta Macavoy and Swayman star players? Isn’t it hard not to feel good about Lohrei, Poitras and Brorissoit? Personally, I’d like to see a real push to acquire a true #1 centre, but otherwise I think we have a fairly optimistic future to look forward to.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
That Nosek incident was outrageous. How not one teammate stood up for him while he was obviously distraught over whatever Tkachuk said to him and not one teammate punishing anyone on the Panthers was unbelievable. The new guys must've been like "what, no pride?"

A somewhat different crew yet the same result in fewer games with different B's fouled.
Tkachuk had to sit in the stands with a broken chest and watch his gang of degenerates get blown the f*** out 9-3 as Vegas carried the Cup around the ice. Karma’s a bitch.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH

Add him to the ever expanding list of POS's in the NHL.

Some will applaud Marchand getting hurt as Karma, I get that, but this guy is not a good dude.
There a heavy clean hitter and then there are dirtbags like this guy that never learn until someone gets seriously hurt.

I just don't get why the NHL player safety was so quick to give him a pass with his obvious history.
Well I do, but none of us want to believe in the league smirking that Marchand got hurt. I guess they're not about having the best product on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad