Speculation: Dermott staying up?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I see a lot of "Dermott has surpassed Borgman" in this thread, I do agree with that based on how good Dermott has been but Borgman has still been more than sufficient imo...does anyone think that Borgman hasn't earned a job or just that Dermott has been better?

if Dermott keeps this up, I think he makes Gardiner redundant more than Borgman (probably next year, can't see us dealing Gardiner now)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I see a lot of "Dermott has surpassed Borgman" in this thread, I do agree with that based on how good Dermott has been but Borgman has still been more than sufficient imo...does anyone think that Borgman hasn't earned a job or just that Dermott has been better?

if Dermott keeps this up, I think he makes Gardiner redundant more than Borgman (probably next year, can't see us dealing Gardiner now)

For the purposes of this season I could see Borgman going down once Rielly and Zaitsev are back. Dermott has earned that spot over him IMO and Borgman is the only waiver exempt blue liner

Reactions: 54thecup

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I would guess Borgman goes down or Carrick is involved in a trade. Borgman has been a healthy scratch and many games has barely played over 12 min. Dermott has been used more and is a much better skater.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Dermott is better. Borgman has limited upside, he is a bottom pairing guy. Does not flash enough skill or high end hockey plays that makes me think otherwise. The biggest difference between them is IQ. Agreed Dermott will replace Gardiner, it will be interesting to see when Gardiner is traded. Gardiner wont be here at the start of the 2018-19 season.

Reactions: Gabriel426

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Dermott is better. Borgman has limited upside. The biggest difference between them is the hockey mind. Agreed Dermott will replace Gardiner, it will be interesting to see when Gardiner is traded. Gardiner wont be here at the start of the 2018-19 season.
wrong. he will be here. dermott hasn't developed into a top-4 yet. management thinks we're a contender so why trade a top-4 dman?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Ya both deserve a spot.
These are the problems good teams have. I think Babcock predicted this no?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Borgman could be due for his ahl time too. Tough stop for both those guys as they do deserve spots.
I don't know if Lily will be ready next year physically. He's suffered a lot of injuries this year so maybe a few more pounds of muscle mass will help? That said they would make a ridiculous bottom pairing. They would feast on teams

If rasanen becomes a top 4 player we could look really good
Rielly liljegren
Dermott Rasanen
Middleton ?
Sometime in the future without shopping.

Yep. Looks good doesn't it?

The one unlikely case I could see the team making in favor of Dermott over Borgman for AHL assignment, is wanting to see what this blueline looks like with Rielly, Zaitsev, and Dermott all on it - I think they generally know what they have in Borgman, but they don't really know the sum of their parts when all 3 of the names above are on it, together.

And they should probably have a good idea of what they have before they start sniffing around rental players at the deadline - I have a feeling the prices are going to be a bit silly this season, given how many teams seem already out of playoff contention

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
wrong. he will be here. dermott hasn't developed into a top-4 yet. management thinks we're a contender so why trade a top-4 dman?

Dermott is a top 4 right now with a Hainsey type veteran as his partner. He is quickly showing more and more comfort.

At the deadline, Gardiner can get a late 1st round pick. JVR would get u a late first. Those 2 first rounders together can get u a nice defenseman. JVR can be replaced internally. A one dimensional player on a team that has no issue's scoring goals. Losing leads and not being able to stop contained pressure in there own zone is a re-occuring theme. It would be dumb to not cash in on 2 first round picks that u can replace internally right away.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Who would be a target with the 2 1st round picks? I would guess they keep Gardiner. He is 36th in toi for D and tied for 21st in scoring, and he is having a so called down season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
For the purposes of this season I could see Borgman going down once Rielly and Zaitsev are back. Dermott has earned that spot over him IMO and Borgman is the only waiver exempt blue liner
ya that's fair, just wasn't sure if people meant that they didn't see Borgman in our future, to me he's been a great find for nothing and if he was right handed he slots in above both Carrick and Polak to me, no doubt NHL'er

Dermott is better. Borgman has limited upside, he is a bottom pairing guy. Does not flash enough skill or high end hockey plays that makes me think otherwise. The biggest difference between them is IQ. Agreed Dermott will replace Gardiner, it will be interesting to see when Gardiner is traded. Gardiner wont be here at the start of the 2018-19 season.
I agree that Dermott is better, disagree on Borgman's upside or IQ - he's made some rookie mistakes under pressure but I think that's to be expected when he's coming from bigger ice where gaps take longer to close, and I've noticed the mistakes becoming less frequent as he gets used to it

also think that the hands/wheels combo that he shows of regularly shows that he can be more than a bottom pairing guy. He can skate the puck out of our end and lead a rush, I don't see any reason to think he has less than 2nd pairing type upside...not gonna be a star but good roster player imo

Ya both deserve a spot.
These are the problems good teams have. I think Babcock predicted this no?
ya I think he did, though I think he was talking about forwards at the time...good problems all over I guess

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
After just a handful of games I'd put Dermott in the keep category.
Polak is on the downside of his career, Carrick is getting closer, Borgman 1st. year NA.

Rielly
Hainsey
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Dermott
Polak downslope / Carrick slight upslope / Borgman rookie

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Weird how people are so ready to toss away a defender who plays the most minutes on the entire team while his replacement has only played a handful of games with relatively easy QoC and zone deployment.

I'm a big fan of Dermott too, have been since we drafted him. However we have no idea yet if he is ready and able to cover Gardiner's minutes.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Who would be a target with the 2 1st round picks? I would guess they keep Gardiner. He is 36th in toi for D and tied for 21st in scoring, and he is having a so called down season.

Gardiner lacks focus though. 2013, 2017 playoffs proved Gardiner is the most dangerous Leaf defenseman with the puck. Gardiner is un-readable when he is locked in and has the best vision on the backend. Those moments during the regular season are few and far between. Dermott can replace him moving forward.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Dermot does numerous things well as Dman. One thing I noticed that he does better than most Leaf Dman, is the ability to pin players agains tthe boards. How can he not stay a Leaf?

Also, Kapanen seemed to have a jump his game. He has to play too IMO.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Weird how people are so ready to toss away a defender who plays the most minutes on the entire team while his replacement has only played a handful of games with relatively easy QoC and zone deployment.

I'm a big fan of Dermott too, have been since we drafted him. However we have no idea yet if he is ready and able to cover Gardiner's minutes.
I suspect that he is, but I personally would play it safe until we know for sure. He's definitely way ahead of Polak in every area of the game though

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
So far he has been awesome, id like to see how he is performing when struggling, lets face it he will have ups and downs and right now i dont know if he is up,down or in between.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
So far he has been awesome, id like to see how he is performing when struggling, lets face it he will have ups and downs and right now i dont know if he is up,down or in between.
he's in some pretty easy minutes so it should be smooth sailing for him. However, he's thriving and looking better and better every game. I don't except him to be dominant this year, but I don't see any reason he'd dip below being a good defenseman

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yep. Looks good doesn't it?

The one unlikely case I could see the team making in favor of Dermott over Borgman for AHL assignment, is wanting to see what this blueline looks like with Rielly, Zaitsev, and Dermott all on it - I think they generally know what they have in Borgman, but they don't really know the sum of their parts when all 3 of the names above are on it, together.

And they should probably have a good idea of what they have before they start sniffing around rental players at the deadline - I have a feeling the prices are going to be a bit silly this season, given how many teams seem already out of playoff contention
Ya they have had a good look at Borgman now to see what Dermott has in the tank.
Damn this patient approach!! :laugh:
This is how he plays period. Yes there will be ups and downs but he is not extending himself here. He will get better too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad