Speculation: Dermott staying up?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s been very good, Babs would be nuts to send him down. Although sadly, I can absolutely see Polak taking his spot :/

What I’d like to see, though:

Rielly - Hainsey
Gards - Dermott
Borg - Zaitsev

Zaitsev doesn’t work too well with Gards, worth giving Dermott a try there after Rielly comes back.

Or, even better, if we could do something like Zaitsev + Kapanen for Tanev:

Rielly - Tanev
Gards - Hainsey
Borg - Dermott

Yes please!

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He’s been very good, Babs would be nuts to send him down. Although sadly, I can absolutely see Polak taking his spot :/

What I’d like to see, though:

Rielly - Hainsey
Gards - Dermott
Borg - Zaitsev

Zaitsev doesn’t work too well with Gards, worth giving Dermott a try there after Rielly comes back.

Or, even better, if we could do something like Zaitsev + Kapanen for Tanev:

Rielly - Tanev
Gards - Hainsey
Borg - Dermott

Yes please!
Hell to the no. Tanev is way too injury prone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be okay with grabbing Tanev, likely costs a 1st and keep adding. Carrick likely apart of the trade. Maybe Kapanen.

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
should he stay? 100%
will he stay? not sure, he is better than all but 3 dmen we have when all fit (Rielly, Zaitsev & Gardiner) but we know babcock loves him some polak.

We saw with Kapanen a player who should of been here the entire season but babcock has chosen Komarov and martin over him, yes kapanen can play LW, but moving komarov and running Marleau-Kadri-kap would of been a fantastic line to start the season with

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
He shouldn't be sent down, but who knows.

Does anyone else think Dermott is a better than Rielly defensively at the same age by a long shot?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
He's going to get sent down at some point, purely because it's a numbers game. When everyone is fit:

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Borgman
Polak
Carrick
Hainsey

That's 7.

Dermott and Borgman are the only ones that don't require waivers, and Babcock really values Borgman's physicality. He isn't going anywhere.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's going to get sent down at some point, purely because it's a numbers game. When everyone is fit:

Rielly
Gardiner
Zaitsev
Borgman
Polak
Carrick
Hainsey

That's 7.

Dermott and Borgman are the only ones that don't require waivers, and Babcock really values Borgman's physicality. He isn't going anywhere.
The thing is Dermott is extremely physical. Imo Dermott ous also better than Borgman flat out. Borgman can go down or we can run 8 D
Best case is we make a trade

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The thing is Dermott is extremely physical. Imo Dermott ous also better than Borgman flat out. Borgman can go down or we can run 8 D
Best case is we make a trade

We won't run 8D - we shouldn't. That would mean 2 of Borgman / Carrick / Dermott will be rotating in and out every night. That's not how you develop players.

I also don't think "best case" is a trade either. Defensive depth is huge, especially come playoffs. The Leafs have the luxury of having a few guys that they can freely move between the AHL and NHL. You shouldn't just trade that away.

I do agree with you though - on reflection, Dermott does have a bit of physicality to his game. I just don't think it's anything close to what Borgman offers, and we know Babcock loves that sort of thing on the blueline; it's perhaps the one and only reason he persists with Polak.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We won't run 8D - we shouldn't. That would mean 2 of Borgman / Carrick / Dermott will be rotating in and out every night. That's not how you develop players.

I also don't think "best case" is a trade either. Defensive depth is huge, especially come playoffs. The Leafs have the luxury of having a few guys that they can freely move between the AHL and NHL. You shouldn't just trade that away.

I do agree with you though - on reflection, Dermott does have a bit of physicality to his game. I just don't think it's anything close to what Borgman offers, and we know Babcock loves that sort of thing on the blueline; it's perhaps the one and only reason he persists with Polak.
I do agree with you I was just throwing out options. I mean Carrick and polak could rotate too. Totally agreed on the depth for the playoffs too. It's a good problem to have.
I do agree that Babcock like polak physicality and Borgman too bit I've watched a lot of Dermott and nobody likes going in the corners with him or standing in front of the net when he's there. He just doesn't throw the big check often but that also is what keeps him in the plays.
I guess realistically is either sending Borgman or Dermott down barring a trade. But I think it's important to keep Travis up for the rest of the season to see if he will sustain this level of play, which I'm confident he will, so we know what we have in him. Then next season we can plan who is expendable or not.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I do agree with you I was just throwing out options. I mean Carrick and polak could rotate too. Totally agreed on the depth for the playoffs too. It's a good problem to have.
I do agree that Babcock like polak physicality and Borgman too bit I've watched a lot of Dermott and nobody likes going in the corners with him or standing in front of the net when he's there. He just doesn't throw the big check often but that also is what keeps him in the plays.
I guess realistically is either sending Borgman or Dermott down barring a trade. But I think it's important to keep Travis up for the rest of the season to see if he will sustain this level of play, which I'm confident he will, so we know what we have in him. Then next season we can plan who is expendable or not.

Yeah, I generally agree.

I think it ultimately comes down to Borgman vs Dermott, and I think Borgman just edges that because of the time he's had up here plus what he brings.

I think that's OK for Dermott too - he will be a really good NHL player here; he doesn't need to be one right away. Good chance he comes up again later in the season if injury etc.

Plus, next season, the thought of him and Liljegren potentially playing as a bottom pair on this team is ridiculously exciting.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
So when he gets sent down I can come to you and say your a moron right
yeah name calling on a HF board would be the pathetic thing to do. Its what youre good at. Personally I dont care about what a Flames fan has to say.

Dermott has played too good right now to get sent down.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, I generally agree.

I think it ultimately comes down to Borgman vs Dermott, and I think Borgman just edges that because of the time he's had up here plus what he brings.

I think that's OK for Dermott too - he will be a really good NHL player here; he doesn't need to be one right away. Good chance he comes up again later in the season if injury etc.

Plus, next season, the thought of him and Liljegren potentially playing as a bottom pair on this team is ridiculously exciting.
Borgman could be due for his ahl time too. Tough stop for both those guys as they do deserve spots.
I don't know if Lily will be ready next year physically. He's suffered a lot of injuries this year so maybe a few more pounds of muscle mass will help? That said they would make a ridiculous bottom pairing. They would feast on teams

If rasanen becomes a top 4 player we could look really good
Rielly liljegren
Dermott Rasanen
Middleton ?
Sometime in the future without shopping.

Reactions: Tak7

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The only d-man better than Dermott in the entire organization is Rielly, IMHO.

However, I could easily see the Leafs sending him back down once Rielly and Zaitsev are back due to contract situations and how Babcock likes to manage his lineup. Good chance he goes Rielly, Hainsey, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Polak, Borgman. He seems overly loyal to his veterans, he loves Borgman, and let’s face it, the Leafs are likely only playing for first round home ice advantage against Boston the rest of the way, if anything.

As long as he is here to stay down the stretch instead of either Polak or Borgman (when you want to hit high gear and play at a playoff pace) and into the playoffs, I’m happy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
yeah name calling on a HF board would be the pathetic thing to do. Its what youre good at. Personally I dont care about what a Flames fan has to say.

Dermott has played too good right now to get sent down.
He may be sent down but it won't be because of his play.
Borgman doesn't need waivers either?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
After the break...if Rielly returns and Zaitsev close does Dermott stay up?

My vote is heck yes. To me he is out performing Borgman, polak and Carrick. Gardiner looks good with ron..proof we need one more hainsey style D at deadline. While we wait for doughty July 1st

Thoughts

I said when he was called up he was here to stay. Even as Babs was saying there was no guarantee he'd even play a game. Which you could see right through.

Of course, he has to keep up his play. But I fully believe he will.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
We actually have a pretty decent defense when Polak isn't in the lineup.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

3 solid if not spectacular pairings.

Run with:

1st PK: Hainsey-Zaitsev
2nd PK: Rielly-Dermott

1st PP: Rielly
2nd PP: Gardiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad