Speculation: Dermott staying up?

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Both Reilly and Gardiner have played their worst hockey with Zaitsev. Even though Babcock likes D on there strong side, I would pair Dermott with Gardiner. Putting Polak, Carrick and Borgman on the 3rd pair .

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Dermott reminds me of Rielly when he was breaking into the league. His skating style, edgework, stature, and the way he will go on a random rush from end to end...very exciting! Dermott however seems to have a bit more physicality to his game than Rielly. Kid looks like a keeper!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
AS is I would say

Rielly. Hainsey
Gards. Dermott
Borg. Zaitsev

Then wait and see how the UFA market turns out.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Dermott reminds me of Rielly when he was breaking into the league. His skating style, edgework, stature, and the way he will go on a random rush from end to end...very exciting! Dermott however seems to have a bit more physicality to his game than Rielly. Kid looks like a keeper!

Actually I see his skating style alot like Jake in terms of his upright style and edges. I like his heads up skating and rushes similar to Reilly.

One thing that drives me nuts with Jake is that often forgets he has a stick in his hands until the puck comes to him. Both Reilly and Dermott look much more ready to react to a play than Jake.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This.

It's crazy that some people think that a guy who has 2 weeks of NHL experience, somehow makes Jake Gardiner expendible.

I'm not Jake's biggest fan, but you can never have too many mobile Dmen in your lineup. Being in a position of strength doesn't mean you all of a sudden start trading away that strength just for the sake of it.

Especially if the strength is on defense or at centre.

Regarding Dermott.....I think that since he hasn't been sent down for the break likely bodes well for him staying up a while.

Reactions: AppsSyl

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Dermott stays put. Moving forward:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Carrick/Dermott/Zaitsev
Dermott Zaitsev/Carrick
Polak
(I'm not as high on Zaitsev as are many others here)

This doesn't include the potential for a D acquisition at the TDL, not that I favor it, but it could happen. However, by dropping Komarov to the 4th and inserting Marner with Kadri's line, and by bringing up Kapanen to improve the 4th line's skill level, I think you've improved 2 lines up front which reduces the needs of looking for outside help. The question mark is Dermott. Should he continue to impress the way he has, this D corp, while not overwhelmingly good, is certainly as good or better than anything we've seen in years. At this moment, I'd be happy to see how far he can develop as he gains Babcock's trust...which to date he must be gaining. If Mo and Hainsey can continue their level of play, Gards not folding and a 3rd pairing of Dermott and Zaitsev, I'd be ok with that. The caveats: Babcock is stubborn and Dermott is a rookie. I'd give it a 50/50 chance that things go the way I want them to. But gosh, that kid is impressing the heck out of me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Regarding Dermott.....I think that since he hasn't been sent down for the break likely bodes well for him staying up a while.

Yeah, look at Pittsburgh last year. They had a bare-bones defense that just about kept things together through all the injuries - you need depth on the blueline to win in the playoffs.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

I agree that since Dermott hasn't been sent down for the all-star break like Valiev was today, it bodes well for him sticking in the line up long term. It screams we don't want to risk injury with you down there, because you are important to us up here for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Very impressed with Dermott! He looks terrific. Such a great skater and I love the slight physicality he displays. Our scouting department is looking terrific right now for trading back for him. He reminds me of a younger Rielly as one poster mentioned earlier. Only been a handful of games thus far so expectations are not over the top but extremely optimistic of what he can bring to the Leafs going forward. Looks like a top 4 already! :clap:

Reactions: PuckMagi

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd put Dermott with Zaitsev......possibly Gardiner with Carrick/Polak/whatever Engelland type D we may pick up at the deadline.

Time to end that Gardiner-Zaitsev experiment IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->