Speculation: Dermott staying up?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not having to go through waivers is good for the team and not so much for the player, but it'd be great to see Dermott remain with the Leafs. Think he's shown enough, and that he belongs, even though it figures to amount to a 3rd pairing role with the returns of Rielly and Zaitsev. No guarantee, but I hope he continues to make the decision on who to remove/demote? a difficult one when that time comes.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
He does deserve it. It looks so much better than everyone not named Hainsey and Gardiner has made a nice come back playing with Ron. Which is why I say get a Hainsey type at deadline with similar qualities. Lose Carrick in the jungle...send Borgman down to develop and keep Polak as an extra

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I don’t see why the return of Reilly and Zaitsev should impact Dermott. At the end of the day he’s outplayed Borgman, that was his competition. So the decision is really on the rhd side, will it be Polak or Carrick. I hope Babcock goes with Carrick, the Dermott/Carrick combo has worked well. So should be:
Reilly-Hainsey
Gardner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I don’t see why the return of Reilly and Zaitsev should impact Dermott. At the end of the day he’s outplayed Borgman, that was his competition. So the decision is really on the rhd side, will it be Polak or Carrick. I hope Babcock goes with Carrick, the Dermott/Carrick combo has worked well. So should be:
Reilly-Hainsey
Gardner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick

That’s what I’m hoping for as well but I really wanna see a Dermott/Zaitsev pairing. Gardiner and Carrick have played decently together in the past. Wouldn’t mind seeing this as a possibility either:
Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I won't be surprised if he's sent down, but I'll be extremely disappointed because I think he's earned his spot on the team.

Reactions: weems

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
That’s what I’m hoping for as well but I really wanna see a Dermott/Zaitsev pairing. Gardiner and Carrick have played decently together in the past. Wouldn’t mind seeing this as a possibility either:
Rielly - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
I agree , let Gards play sheltered mins on the 3rd pair.

At least until he shows he pulled his head out of his ass for an extended period of time .

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Based on the eye test, so far, without a doubt.

Can skate, great positionally, a lot of stick skill, great passer. Could easily play as a 3-4 right now I think.

He's better than Borgman, Carrick and Polak. Would love to see him on the PP. Maybe that is the next step?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
We started off on the hunt for a top 4 D and then a free one just fell into our laps. If he gets sent down it would be insane.

Reilly hainsey
Gardiner zaitsev
Dermott Borgman/carrick

Actually a decent D

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
if not there's a big problem with awarding players spots due to their ability. dermott is not just an NHLer, but one of our best defensemen

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Forget rushing ability, Dermott's gap-control and stick are great. Having a good, sturdy stick with some semblance of good hand-eye is an absolute must for defenders these days....which is why I will never buy into using Polak because despite him fitting whatever checkboxes for physicality, one of his biggest flaws (among others) is his awful stick for a big d-man.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Based on the eye test, so far, without a doubt.

Can skate, great positionally, a lot of stick skill, great passer. Could easily play as a 3-4 right now I think.

He's better than Borgman, Carrick and Polak. Would love to see him on the PP. Maybe that is the next step?

It doesn't really matter if he is "better" than Polak. Polak fills a role, that no other dman on the roster can fill.. And his role becomes even more important come playoff time.

People may not like it, but Polak is cemented in as the 6th dman.

Reactions: Taras

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
How can you send him down if anything he is making Polak, and Carrick expendable.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dermott should stay up and Borgman should be sent down. Dermott has surpassed Borgman at this point and has taken his job.

Reactions: FADYB

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Forget rushing ability, Dermott's gap-control and stick are great. Having a good, sturdy stick with some semblance of good hand-eye is an absolute must for defenders these days....which is why I will never buy into using Polak because despite him fitting whatever checkboxes for physicality, one of his biggest flaws (among others) is his awful stick for a big d-man.
His aggressive in closing gaps is unreal. Carrick is going to the bench as soon as Zaitsev is back. I'm resigned to accepting that Polak isn't going anywhere due to penalty kill. So its basically between him and Borgman for the last spot. I'd give it to Dermott, but Borgman has also proved worthy of a spot.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It doesn't really matter if he is "better" than Polak. Polak fills a role, that no other dman on the roster can fill.. And his role becomes even more important come playoff time.

People may not like it, but Polak is cemented in as the 6th dman.

Is the role you are referring to killing penalties? Because before Zaitsev was injured, he and Hainsey were the guys who killed penalties almost exclusively. Dermott also can kill penalties, as well as Rielly. Once we are healthy Polak is and should be expendable. He should be in the press box, or waived and with the Marlies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dermott is not going down to the Marlies more and more every game he plays like this. He is playing like the brst defenseman innthe lineup right now with Rielly out. Hainsey is right there with him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is the role you are referring to killing penalties? Because before Zaitsev was injured, he and Hainsey were the guys who killed penalties almost exclusively. Dermott also can kill penalties, as well as Rielly. Once we are healthy Polak is and should be expendable. He should be in the press box, or waived and with the Marlies.
Polak is the 3rd guy. He's primarily in the line-up to do just that.

Part of the reason Polak doesn't kill as much as Zaitsev or Hainsey, is he puts us on the PK a bunch.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Nothing he is doing is really suprising.
He's always skated well, moved it effectively with both his feet and passing ability, was smart defensively and will take the body.
This is the type of p0tential homerun pick that can REALLY pay huge dividends if he's capable of playing top 4 minutes for the next 3 seasons only making 860k.
It's like your saving 4-5 million in cap savings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad