Speculation: Dermott staying up?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I see a lot of "Dermott has surpassed Borgman" in this thread, I do agree with that based on how good Dermott has been but Borgman has still been more than sufficient imo...does anyone think that Borgman hasn't earned a job or just that Dermott has been better?

if Dermott keeps this up, I think he makes Gardiner redundant more than Borgman (probably next year, can't see us dealing Gardiner now)
Gardiner is a much more valuable defender than Borgman at this point. Dermott has a lot of work to do before he locks up a top 4 role on the left side

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
you know this for sure? Like another poster said, hes played too good to be sent down.
kapanen is too good to be in the marlies, yet he's been there for most of the season. its about waiver eligibility and its always been about that. he will be sent down for sure.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Gardiner is a much more valuable defender than Borgman at this point. Dermott has a lot of work to do before he locks up a top 4 role on the left side
Dermott would need exposure to tougher usage for sure, but I think what he's done already is pretty impressive. Very smary and he won't do the bonehead stuff that Gardiner does, but the surprising part for me has been that he uses his hands and legs to move the puck up more than expected, so I really do think that he could pan out as a viable Gardiner replacement without a huge learning curve

Borgman I agree, but I meant that if Dermott replaces Gardiner that Borgman stays as the bottom pairing LHD. Rielly-Dermott-Borgman down the left side

Reactions: 54thecup

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
there is no way babcock is sending dermott down. People overrate his benching of leivo and playing favourites... The truth is he doesnt play kapanen/leivo because they arent as good as marner, mathews, nylander, kadri, jvr, marleua.
Dermott may be able to play as a number 4 already.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It was interesting seeing Dermott paired with Gardiner for a few shifts last night. Including the one where he dove to bail out Jake's blunder.

He looked good there. Babcock was forced to switch him back, though, because hainsey-polak was just a mess of an immobile pair there for a couple shifts.

but if dermott can handle the right side, all sorts of possibilities open up.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He does.....but of note is that he's already received tougher usage in his stint this year than any of polak/borgman/carrick/rosen/marinicin have.
did he play much last half of the game ...u n ever know

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's a small sample size, and Dermott's been getting some of the easiest minutes on the team in terms of high offensive zone starts and low quality of competition.

In saying that, Dermott's averaging 1.192 goals against per 60 minutes so far. By comparison, Hainsey is 2.133, Rielly 2.506, Zaitsev 2.176, Gardiner 2.053, Polak 3.033, Borgman 3.015, and Carrick 2.433.

Player Usage Charts - Hockey Abstract <- can toy around with this to get those (and other) numbers.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I really hope he stays up for the rest of the year.

After seeing what Babs did with Rielly in a year, we could see a huge jump in Dermott's overall game really quickly.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
there is no way babcock is sending dermott down. People overrate his benching of leivo and playing favourites... The truth is he doesnt play kapanen/leivo because they arent as good as marner, mathews, nylander, kadri, jvr, marleua.
Dermott may be able to play as a number 4 already.

You think Leivo/Kapanen have to beat out the likes of Matthews/Marner in order to play? That's some strange stuff there my man.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Carrick
Dermott-Zaitsev
Polak

Send Borgman down to the Marlies.

Still will never understand the Gardiner hate. Even when he was struggling early in the season, he was still much much better than Zaitsev (who was clearly hurting him). He's been so much better not beside Z.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Regarding Dermott (and Borgman), the trining staff got to determine what is better for them - playing top minutes at the AHL or 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL. But so far I really like what I have seen.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Regarding Dermott (and Borgman), the trining staff got to determine what is better for them - playing top minutes at the AHL or 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL. But so far I really like what I have seen.
you learn to be an NHLer in the NHL

he's still developing obviously but the way he's played so far it seems to me he'd be far better off with the Leafs , his skating/iq/physical play are all NHL level so there's nothing imo that would be gained by going back to the Marlies , he just need experience and that can be only gained with the Leafs

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
you learn to be an NHLer in the NHL

he's still developing obviously but the way he's played so far it seems to me he'd be far better off with the Leafs , his skating/iq/physical play are all NHL level so there's nothing imo that would be gained by going back to the Marlies , he just need experience and that can be only gained with the Leafs

While I do agree, I think this is a mark for a good organization - knowing the line where a player is ready for NHL and being there wont hurt their growth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad