Prospect Info: DeBrincat Part 2

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He was a huge when we needed to "steady the ship". Saad will be able to help with that but he will be missed.

Do you think we trade his contract?
can't. until this team fixes the salary cap.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Like others have said, salary cap move. Q's already made up his mind that Brinksy will be on this team once Hossa is on LTIR.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
... and then the PO's begin and folks begin to realize how much Hossa is missed., even at 38.

I don't disagree, it's just we don't know how much his play would have dropped off. Any of these years his play could have fallen off a cliff, you are not beating Father Time. It may have happened this season, we will never know.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I think DeBrincat has the potential to put up 25-30 goals and add potentially another 25-30 assists if he gets enough TOI, especially on the PP...... This is the type of kid that fits right in with the talent the Hawks have..... He's a very smart player - his hockey IQ is off the charts... The only thing that could potentially hold him back is his size, but talent wise, the kid has elite offensive instincts and IQ.... It will be interesting to see what happens this season with him..... I think he has a chance to win ROY, or at least be in the top #3 in voting..

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I think DeBrincat has the potential to put up 25-30 goals and add potentially another 25-30 assists if he gets enough TOI, especially on the PP...... This is the type of kid that fits right in with the talent the Hawks have..... He's a very smart player - his hockey IQ is off the charts... The only thing that could potentially hold him back is his size, but talent wise, the kid has elite offensive instincts and IQ.... It will be interesting to see what happens this season with him..... I think he has a chance to win ROY, or at least be in the top #3 in voting..

He showed during the preseason that his size won't really hold him back, IMO. He had no issues battling for pucks on the boards and in the corners. And he's smart/shifty enough to not get lit up with big ass hits. I actually think he's a Calder finalist if he plays the full season, also. Potentially winning it.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm not sure about his first NHL season, but I think he'll round into a consistent 50-60 point guy with most of the points coming from goals.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I'm not sure about his first NHL season, but I think he'll round into a consistent 50-60 point guy with most of the points coming from goals.
Keep me posted on Dcat. I picked him late in my hockey pool last night. He cost me 30 points ( because he is a rookie), so anything over that total for goals and assists will be awesome for me!! I think he can have as good as a year as Marner had on the Leafs last season, especially if he gets 14-15 mins of playing time a game. 60 points should be reachable.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Well...he did lose his NHL virginity,so thats behind him.
Not that good game from him,must be kinda difficult and strange to play
bottom 6,when you have played your entire life 1st line hockey.

AA&Sharpie not the ideal linemates for Brinksy,but i guess...
one haves to start from somewhere :)

He did have this to show:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
This guy plays with such a chip on his shoulder that he rarely even smiles, love that focus.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
This guy plays with such a chip on his shoulder that he rarely even smiles, love that focus.

McDavid agrees, ""He knows where the net is. He finds a way to score basically every night. He’s got a great shot. He’s one of the feistiest guys I’ve ever played with. It’s really remarkable about what he’s been able to do."

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Well...he did lose his NHL virginity,so thats behind him.
Not that good game from him,must be kinda difficult and strange to play
bottom 6,when you have played your entire life 1st line hockey.

AA&Sharpie not the ideal linemates for Brinksy,but i guess...
one haves to start from somewhere :)

He did have this to show:

You speak like these guys are 4th line grinders... when the reality is that they're both top 6 players, and have been for basically their entire careers. Particularly with the Hawks. The Hawks so-called third line is really closer to a second line on the vast majority of teams. They basically have a 1a, 1b, 2, and 3 for their lines.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think DCat had a pretty good game. He had one quality SOG that didn't find a hole through Murray but he was in a prime scoring area where he takes most of his shots and some of those will eventually go in. He also had a sweet dish from behind the net to Anisimov standing right in front of the net who didn't get off a shot for some reason. The point is that he made the play to put it on a tee and very easily could have been a tap in for AA and a primary assist for DCat. Also, he contributed to Anisimov getting the puck in the d-zone which he passed up to Sharp on his goal. He didn't get an assist but that play probably doesn't happen without DCat being in the right place and contesting the puck.

In addition to those two prime scoring opportunities, he played well in other facets - protecting the puck, back checking and d-zone coverage, and surprisingly 4 hits which was second on the team to Hayden's 5 hits. There were a couple times where he kind of over-skated the puck and got crowded out from making a play in the o-zone, but that's an acceptable price to pay for the rest of his game - plus he'll get better at avoiding that.

If he had gotten on the score sheet I would give him an "A", but he didn't so I would give him a "B" (maybe a B+ because of that hit on Cole).

One more thing - it seems that the other guys aren't looking for him yet. Not that other players should pass up shots to set up DCat, but I think the team will be better once the other Hawks start looking for him more than they did last night. An example is there were at least a couple times when a d-man took a long low-percentage shot when DCat was available for a pass for a better shot. One was Forsling and the other Kempny and both those guys are more trying to improve their games than looking for other offensive plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: CallMeShaft

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
My only negative for DeBrincat at all with regard to his NHL potential was his foot speed. He wasn't slow, but for a guy smaller in stature I was a little concerned about how he could overcome that with his feet or not. His preseason and especially his NHL regular season debut have really put that to rest for me. He definitely has gotten quicker with his feet and it really stood out to me last night. He was right in the mix of play and was effective forechecking and backchecking. Not once did I see him and think "ooo, he needs to be quicker there", which is the main thing I've been looking for in him because I thought if he overcame that that everything else about his game would eventually fall into place.

Well, his feet aren't a worry anymore for me, so....the rest is going to be hella fun to watch develop. Giving him a "B" to a "B+" works for me, which is damn fine for an NHL debut. He was in the mix, he had a quality chance, he was battling for the puck along the boards and in corners, he was always moving his feet, he had a really nice hit, he showed some nice patience with the puck...his game is only going to grow as he gains more confidence and continues to adjust to the NHL game. I look forward to it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My only negative for DeBrincat at all with regard to his NHL potential was his foot speed. He wasn't slow, but for a guy smaller in stature I was a little concerned about how he could overcome that with his feet or not. His preseason and especially his NHL regular season debut have really put that to rest for me. He definitely has gotten quicker with his feet and it really stood out to me last night. He was right in the mix of play and was effective forechecking and backchecking. Not once did I see him and think "ooo, he needs to be quicker there", which is the main thing I've been looking for in him because I thought if he overcame that that everything else about his game would eventually fall into place.

Well, his feet aren't a worry anymore for me, so....the rest is going to be hella fun to watch develop. Giving him a "B" to a "B+" works for me, which is damn fine for an NHL debut. He was in the mix, he had a quality chance, he was battling for the puck along the boards and in corners, he was always moving his feet, he had a really nice hit, he showed some nice patience with the puck...his game is only going to grow as he gains more confidence and continues to adjust to the NHL game. I look forward to it.
with ref to his foot speed and feet, well i am not that smart for that . what i loved was he really played big, bigger than he actually is and really laid on the checks ..... very impress with that,

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
with ref to his foot speed and feet, well i am not that smart for that . what i loved was he really played big, bigger than he actually is and really laid on the checks ..... very impress with that,

He's built like a brick shithouse. Stocky with a low center of gravity. His size will never be an issue, honestly.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Haha at complaining about Debrincat playing with Sharp and AA.

I didn't really get that blanket statement all along about "DeBrincat needs to be Top 6 or in Rockford". A third line, ideally, still provides offensive capability and chances and I long said that I'd be fine with him in a 3L role if he was pared with the right people. I see no issue right now with him being with those two. That may change, but I see nothing wrong with that line combo right now. That's hardly a couple of bums the kid is playing with, especially if that's the Sharp we keep seeing all season long.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't really get that blanket statement all along about "DeBrincat needs to be Top 6 or in Rockford". A third line, ideally, still provides offensive capability and chances and I long said that I'd be fine with him in a 3L role if he was pared with the right people. I see no issue right now with him being with those two. That may change, but I see nothing wrong with that line combo right now. That's hardly a couple of bums the kid is playing with, especially if that's the Sharp we keep seeing all season long.

A 3rd line scoring role is perfect for him right now. People might be forgetting that Hartman was a 1st round pick and has real skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad