Prospect Info: DeBrincat Part 2

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he hits 50 points plus in rookie year- standing firm in this regard - the copycat AD is going to surprise a lot of people and play alongside Kane on that second line...maybe not right away, but by game 15 he is up with the Hawks and playing in the top 6.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
he hits 50 points plus in rookie year- standing firm in this regard - the copycat AD is going to surprise a lot of people and play alongside Kane on that second line...maybe not right away, but by game 15 he is up with the Hawks and playing in the top 6.

that will be a great poll..... not only for AD, but any other rookies.

for the record, i do not think he will make it this yr or in the beginning yr. maybe, just maybe, later in the yr.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014

that is enthusiastic! OK.

Seems unlikely but I hope you are correct.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Alex has use to the fact of proving people wrong.

No one believed in him in the USHS,went undrafted,then after certain events,
one scout from Erie Otters decides to go back and stick around one more day,
one more game,what/who/how he sees one particular kid play.

He sees A DeBrincat play one of his best games of the season,..
end result; next summer Otters sign him as a free agent,
however,still,...no one believes in him.

Rookie season; breaks all kinds of Otters&OHL rookie records,
yet...people say,"well, sure he did good,..he is a product of McDavid"

2nd season; without CMCD,gets even better start to season,scores
over goal per game avg 10+ games,few say; "he is the real deal"
finishes the season with exact numbers to rookie season...
people still doubt..."DStrome factor", "playing in stacked Otters
team is easy"

3rd season; No Strome,no worry. Continues to aw and amaze everyone,
continues braking records,leads the team&league in scoring ->
regular season,play-offs,is in top 3 in the M-CUP scoring,puts whopping
total numbers: 80G+95A=175PTS....yet people doubt "well Strome
did return to Erie","Otters are stacked powerhouse of OHL and CHL,
its easy to rack points".

Aaand 200G+215A=415PTS for Otters (in every game) later
and after Hawks 2nd round pick choice,HE-IS-READY....
yet people still doubt...

This is just another opportunity for him to prove everyone
how wrong they are...were....once more.

Now obviously,it would be like from a fairy tale if he'd score 50 goals
but,i believe he be playing in top 6 role from the get go and score
double digit numbers,in both goals and assists.

20 goals,50 points,to me,isnt that far fetched.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Alex has use to the fact of proving people wrong.

No one believed in him in the USHS,went undrafted,then after certain events,
one scout from Erie Otters decides to go back and stick around one more day,
one more game,what/who/how he sees one particular kid play.

He sees A DeBrincat play one of his best games of the season,..
end result; next summer Otters sign him as a free agent,
however,still,...no one believes in him.

Rookie season; breaks all kinds of Otters&OHL rookie records,
yet...people say,"well, sure he did good,..he is a product of McDavid"

2nd season; without CMCD,gets even better start to season,scores
over goal per game avg 10+ games,few say; "he is the real deal"
finishes the season with exact numbers to rookie season...
people still doubt..."DStrome factor", "playing in stacked Otters
team is easy"

3rd season; No Strome,no worry. Continues to aw and amaze everyone,
continues braking records,leads the team&league in scoring ->
regular season,play-offs,is in top 3 in the M-CUP scoring,puts whopping
total numbers: 80G+95A=175PTS....yet people doubt "well Strome
did return to Erie","Otters are stacked powerhouse of OHL and CHL,
its easy to rack points".

Aaand 200G+215A=415PTS for Otters (in every game) later
and after Hawks 2nd round pick choice,HE-IS-READY....
yet people still doubt...

This is just another opportunity for him to prove everyone
how wrong they are...were....once more.

Now obviously,it would be like from a fairy tale if he'd score 50 goals
but,i believe he be playing in top 6 role from the get go and score
double digit numbers,in both goals and assists.

20 goals,50 points,to me,isnt that far fetched.

this is as spot on as it gets. his whole story is that of "Rocky" in beating the odds and never giving up.

I have zero doubts this kid is going to be an impact player at some point for this team this year. your 20 goal 50 points is very attainable for him to hit if he plays over 60 games which I think he does and plays with Kane which I think he will.

having Alex in the lineup just makes this team so much better overall. also having the pleasure of watching him grow in his overall game I know he will have some uphill battles but he will conquer those.

I watched him fight the 6'6 Michael McCarron in a game a few years ago - the kid is fearless and doesn't back down. McCarron was and is a monster and he went toe to toe with him.

this team just looks so much better with an Alex DeBrincat on that second line:

Saad - Toews - Panik
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Sharp - Anisimov - Hartman
Hayden - Wingels - Kero
Jurco/Bouwma

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
this is as spot on as it gets. his whole story is that of "Rocky" in beating the odds and never giving up.

I have zero doubts this kid is going to be an impact player at some point for this team this year. your 20 goal 50 points is very attainable for him to hit if he plays over 60 games which I think he does and plays with Kane which I think he will.

having Alex in the lineup just makes this team so much better overall. also having the pleasure of watching him grow in his overall game I know he will have some uphill battles but he will conquer those.

I watched him fight the 6'6 Michael McCarron in a game a few years ago - the kid is fearless and doesn't back down. McCarron was and is a monster and he went toe to toe with him.

this team just looks so much better with an Alex DeBrincat on that second line:

Saad - Toews - Panik
DeBrincat - Schmaltz - Kane
Sharp - Anisimov - Hartman
Hayden - Wingels - Kero
Jurco/Bouwma

the thing is, everyone is making an assumption that he, d-cat will become a viable line 2, producing player. i have said that there will be a learning side, an adjustment time to adapt to many things that vet's have already have adjusted to.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Debrincat has a boat load of potential but the jump from the OHL to the NHL is huge. Size in the OHL and NHL are not even close to the same. While I love his fight with a bigger guy but it means little to his production going forward.

He needs to continue to work on his skating because it needs to improve. His skating is not bad but he needs to improve his first step and top end speed.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
the thing is, everyone is making an assumption that he, d-cat will become a viable line 2, producing player. i have said that there will be a learning side, an adjustment time to adapt to many things that vet's have already have adjusted to.

not really an assumption - if he is up in the NHL it will be in the top 6, if he isn't in the top 6 he is in the AHL.. he doesn't need to be misused up here as we have enough bodies to fill those roles.

we have 1 kid in this system that is dynamic and has the chance to be a star type player - this is it.

I liken him a bit to Cam Atkinson as well. Cam didn't have Alex's scoring ability and was a bit faster on skates, but pretty comparable players with size concerns. Cam took a little over a year to get it, but he didn't have a Patrick Kane to play with and he wasn't as dynamic of a scorer Alex is.

I am not saying Alex comes out of the gate and starts the year in the NHL, just do not be surprised that he plays over 50 games this year and most if not all in that top 6.

another similar player is Conor Sheary who is right around that same size and played amazing with Crosby - smaller players are excelling everywhere as long as they have the smarts and toughness to adjust which Atkinson, Gaudreau, Sheary, Johnson,Gionta, etc do...DeBrincat is well within that group

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Did no one learn anything from #teuvotime? How about Schmaltz just a season ago?

We need to be realistic. DeBrincat is a short 19yo. He has ZERO pro experience. He can be a good player, but the jump from the OHL to NHL is huge.

Unless he kills it in preseason, he should be allowed to become a better player in Rockford.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Did no one learn anything from #teuvotime? How about Schmaltz just a season ago?

We need to be realistic. DeBrincat is a short 19yo. He has ZERO pro experience. He can be a good player, but the jump from the OHL to NHL is huge.

Unless he kills it in preseason, he should be allowed to become a better player in Rockford.

I think people know what to expect. But that's not to say he doesn't come straight to the NHL and just "gets it". Some players do. It's one of those things you just have to wait and see.

I actually share the opinion that he likely sees at least 50-60 games this season, though, depending on how well he plays. I think they're banking on AD to pick up a bunch of the slack from the loss of Panarin's offense. Which is maybe why they were ok with moving him like they did.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

The TT saga. You are sort of correct.

However,in my mind,...that wasnt on Teräväinen and his inabilty
as a hyped hockey player,that all what happened,was all on Q.

Look how well he did last season with Canes,when given a correct role.
Sure... there were periods of time when he didn't produce,
but mostly,he played really well last season and surely will
improve from that.

Schmaltz? well..not sure does he fit the profile.
+10, scored roughly 30 points in just over 60 games.

But i don't think he has ever considered as any way of
lets say whats Alex DeBrincat.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The TT saga. You are sort of correct.

However,in my mind,...that wasnt on Teräväinen and his inabilty
as a hyped hockey player,that all what happened,was all on Q.

Look how well he did last season with Canes,when given a correct role.
Sure... there were periods of time when he didn't produce,
but mostly,he played really well last season and surely will
improve from that.

Schmaltz? well..not sure does he fit the profile.
+10, scored roughly 30 points in just over 60 games.

But i don't think he has ever considered as any way of
lets say whats Alex DeBrincat.

Schmaltz played tentatively until he came back from a month plus long trip to Rockford. He needed the extra experience.

And TT was not, in any way, held back by Q. TT was better this season because he's getting closer to his prime.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think what...somewhat determines how well will Alex DeBricat fit
is how Q sees him and what he asks from him...demands.

Let Alex DeBrincat be Alex DeBrincat and let him play Alex DeBrincat game,
rather than force him into some mold and start ****** around with him
if he doesn't...if he can't do something that he has never done before.

Erie Otters head coach noticed very quickly,very early on
how to get best out of Brinksy,you'd think if junior level
coach can do that,nhl level coach could too?

Like someone above mentioned earlier,he is a top 6 player
and should be treated as such. How would a player like
DeBrincat be able to do his best as a 3rd or 4th liner.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Schmaltz played tentatively until he came back from a month plus long trip to Rockford. He needed the extra experience.

And TT was not, in any way, held back by Q. TT was better this season because he's getting closer to his prime.

I suppose,but Q did threw him around the line up and kept
switching him from C to W, when his game wasn't as...you know.

In that way it was on Q,now maybe it wasnt completely on Q and
maybe TT was responsible aswell.

but...player needs continuity so one can give full 100% every game,
it messes your mind when you don't know how much you play and what positition,
again TT could of played better,but...its not that simple.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think what...somewhat determines how well will Alex DeBricat fit
is how Q sees him and what he asks from him...demands.

Let Alex DeBrincat be Alex DeBrincat and let him play Alex DeBrincat game,
rather than force him into some mold and start ****** around with him
if he doesn't...if he can't do something that he has never done before.

Erie Otters head coach noticed very quickly,very early on
how to get best out of Brinksy,you'd think if junior level
coach can do that,nhl level coach could too?

Like someone above mentioned earlier,he is a top 6 player
and should be treated as such. How would a player like
DeBrincat be able to do his best as a 3rd or 4th liner.

I understand that he's a top 6er. If he stuck with the team, he'd likely be with Kane.

However, he is NINETEEN years old. There is a huge difference between the OHL and the NHL.

If a young player can't keep up, it's not on the coaching staff. It's a fault of being young and inexperienced. TT couldn't keep up until 2015. Schmaltz couldn't keep up until he had some AHL seasoning. Hartman couldn't keep up until he had a few seasons in Rockford.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I understand that he's a top 6er. If he stuck with the team, he'd likely be with Kane.

However, he is NINETEEN years old. There is a huge difference between the OHL and the NHL.

If a young player can't keep up, it's not on the coaching staff. It's a fault of being young and inexperienced. TT couldn't keep up until 2015. Schmaltz couldn't keep up until he had some AHL seasoning. Hartman couldn't keep up until he had a few seasons in Rockford.

You have really good arguments here,i do somewhat agree.
- but every argument there is a opposite argument :) :popcorn:

Perhaps DeBrincat can be a precedential case (for small blackhawks players),
i'm only speculating,obviously.

He just might be that one,who'd brake the so called norm,
again just speculating.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Would be nice if Brinksy could keep up straight from the get-go :nod:

Kaner could. Obviously he's not Kane. But it's nice to dream. :laugh:

I'm still in the group that thinks he sticks with the Hawks for a large portion of the season. I just think his IQ will help him translate to the NHL better than some of the others. We can all agree that the Hawks would benefit greatly from a pure goal scorer.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

I get what you are saying, I think we all are...but 19 years old doesn't matter anymore..he will be 20 a few months into the season with 3 full OHL seasons under his belt.

I think you are vastly underrating DeBrincat here which is fine. I am not basing Alex's success or lack of on other previous prospects. Yes, some of those names took a little bit to get going, but guys like Leddy, Saad, and Shaw didn't need a whole hell of a lot of time in Rockford/minors and did great here. Every sample is not the same.

I am in the minority that thinks he sticks from camp as his skill level and compete level warrant it. Most are saying he goes down to the AHL for the first 2 months then comes up for the final 50 plus games and plays in the top 6...that is not far fetched at all.

And let's also be honest here, you can practically combine all of TT, Hartman, and Schmaltz together as juniors and they barely outproduced DeBrincat's totals the past season. We haven't seen a kid that can score like this in a long time, and the OHL hasn't seen much of it in the past few decades either.

Not making him out to be more than he is, but he simply isn't any of those kids you named as his game translates easier to the pro level than TT and Schmaltz and closer to that of Hartman. He isn't a perimeter player.

He has challenges ahead, there is no doubt about it.. but the only thing I am hearing is he is small or he is 19 and that just doesn't cut it anymore. Look at all the people who ate crow once Johnny Gaudreau stepped into the league - it doesn't matter how big you are, skill, heart, and brains makes it in today's game...

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I get what you are saying, I think we all are...but 19 years old doesn't matter anymore..he will be 20 a few months into the season with 3 full OHL seasons under his belt.

I think you are vastly underrating DeBrincat here which is fine. I am not basing Alex's success or lack of on other previous prospects. Yes, some of those names took a little bit to get going, but guys like Leddy, Saad, and Shaw didn't need a whole hell of a lot of time in Rockford/minors and did great here. Every sample is not the same.

I am in the minority that thinks he sticks from camp as his skill level and compete level warrant it. Most are saying he goes down to the AHL for the first 2 months then comes up for the final 50 plus games and plays in the top 6...that is not far fetched at all.

And let's also be honest here, you can practically combine all of TT, Hartman, and Schmaltz together as juniors and they barely outproduced DeBrincat's totals the past season. We haven't seen a kid that can score like this in a long time, and the OHL hasn't seen much of it in the past few decades either.

Not making him out to be more than he is, but he simply isn't any of those kids you named as his game translates easier to the pro level than TT and Schmaltz and closer to that of Hartman. He isn't a perimeter player.

He has challenges ahead, there is no doubt about it.. but the only thing I am hearing is he is small or he is 19 and that just doesn't cut it anymore. Look at all the people who ate crow once Johnny Gaudreau stepped into the league - it doesn't matter how big you are, skill, heart, and brains makes it in today's game...

Well said.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
HE IS 19 ~ NINETEEN | HE IS 5 FOOT 7 | HE HASNT PLAYED A SINGLE PRO GAME

so what?,its not like this is any new stuff to Brinksy now is it,
he has been even younger,smaller,less experienced,no matter what
no matter where,no matter how,Alex has always proven everyone wrong.

Lets all agree to one thing; hoping he can prove everyone wrong one more time

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
But i'm not all out of support or sympathy for all the doubters
or nay sayers,because we can't know for sure what will happen.

But its all there,all out there for all to see,what he is as a player
what he can do,what are his pro's and con's,what can one predict
or not,you just have to look really closely to see all the little things
what he does amazingly perfect,with or without the puck.

Maybe one needs more hockey knowledge,understanding of the game
to find those small details of his game,but practise makes perfect as they say.

Reactions: Matt Ravlich

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
HE IS 19 ~ NINETEEN | HE IS 5 FOOT 7 | HE HASNT PLAYED A SINGLE PRO GAME

so what?,its not like this is any new stuff to Brinksy now is it,
he has been even younger,smaller,less experienced,no matter what
no matter where,no matter how,Alex has always proven everyone wrong.

Lets all agree to one thing; hoping he can prove everyone wrong one more time

So what? He is no longer playing against boys. He will now be playing against men who are big and fast. Not just one or the other. Also the huge advantage he has in how he thinks the game will be much smaller. Ignoring these factors is a big mistake.

To be clear, I want him to succeed but I think some are getting a head of themselves with expectations.

AD - Other than Hartman who played in the OHL it is hard to compare production from the junior leagues that TT and NS played in because they place a much bigger emphasis in the defensive game. Schmaltz, Hartman, and TT are also much better defensive players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad