Prospect Info: DeBrincat Part 2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I didn't really get that blanket statement all along about "DeBrincat needs to be Top 6 or in Rockford". A third line, ideally, still provides offensive capability and chances and I long said that I'd be fine with him in a 3L role if he was pared with the right people. I see no issue right now with him being with those two. That may change, but I see nothing wrong with that line combo right now. That's hardly a couple of bums the kid is playing with, especially if that's the Sharp we keep seeing all season long.

I'll admit I was wrong. I would have liked to have seen him on the Kane line just because Hartman's 5 points would be his, basically, and I want Cat to win the Calder... but he's fine on that third line with those two. That line is going to do some serious bum slaying once they get their rhythm and chemistry going. :thumbu:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I'll admit I was wrong. I would have liked to have seen him on the Kane line just because Hartman's 5 points would be his, basically, and I want Cat to win the Calder... but he's fine on that third line with those two. That line is going to do some serious bum slaying once they get their rhythm and chemistry going. :thumbu:

I'd still love to see him on the Kane line at some point, too. Think he would thrive there, but that line is looking good as is. We all know this stuff can shift at any time, even on a shift by shift basis. Sure we'll see it at some point.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'd still love to see him on the Kane line at some point, too. Think he would thrive there, but that line is looking good as is. We all know this stuff can shift at any time, even on a shift by shift basis. Sure we'll see it at some point.

I would too. I just meant it wasn't nearly as critical as I thought it would be. Cat looks like he can drive some possession/play himself, and his vision is damn good. A couple of his passes were disgusting, and guys just couldn't finish. AA... if that one hadn't bounced over his stick!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I would too. I just meant it wasn't nearly as critical as I thought it would be. Cat looks like he can drive some possession/play himself, and his vision is damn good. A couple of his passes were disgusting, and guys just couldn't finish. AA... if that one hadn't bounced over his stick!

Yeah I liked his confidence with the puck. There were a couple of times he held on to it and cycled a bit and created some space to let play develop. Love to see that in a rookie.

People really need to not let his height fool them, either. He might be 5'8" but he's a bull. He's got a good frame and he's strong and moreover, has the attitude that he's bigger than he is.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Yeah I liked his confidence with the puck. There were a couple of times he held on to it and cycled a bit and created some space to let play develop. Love to see that in a rookie.

People really need to not let his height fool them, either. He might be 5'8" but he's a bull. He's got a good frame and he's strong and moreover, has the attitude that he's bigger than he is.
As someone who hasn't watched him or really much of the preseason and only read about his size in scouting reports and on here, I was expecting someone smaller and thinner. Good to see he actually has some mass to him, he's not going to get thrown around like I've seen suggested. Really smart player too, I've read he's a pure finisher, but he created a lot for AA and Sharpie.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yep, said it up above somewhere, he's built like a brick shithouse. Stocky with the low center of gravity. Reminds me of the build of Tie Domi.

As someone who hasn't watched him or really much of the preseason and only read about his size in scouting reports and on here, I was expecting someone smaller and thinner. Good to see he actually has some mass to him, he's not going to get thrown around like I've seen suggested. Really smart player too, I've read he's a pure finisher, but he created a lot for AA and Sharpie.

Yep.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Hartman worked better on Kane's line than I thought.

I'm not sure he'll be the best choice there all year, simply because I don't think the boost you get out of Hartman on the 2nd over the 3rd is as big as the boost you'd get from moving Cat from the 3rd to the 2nd.

but after a 5 point night, you obviously should keep him there until he cools off.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

People get too wrapped in it, especially in today's game. And as we're saying, even more tunnel-visioned into the height.

I'd rather be hit by Viktor Svedberg than Martin St. Louis every day of the week ending in Y.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Hartman worked better on Kane's line than I thought.

I'm not sure he'll be the best choice there all year, simply because I don't think the boost you get out of Hartman on the 2nd over the 3rd is as big as the boost you'd get from moving Cat from the 3rd to the 2nd.

but after a 5 point night, you obviously should keep him there until he cools off.

Part of this IMO was just how dynamic Schmaltz looked. If he's going to play like that then him and Kane can work off each other and a guy who can skate and create a bit of space like Hartman is the perfect compliment.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

DCat is known for scoring goals - 65 goals in 63 games last season at Erie, and 167 goals in 191 games for his 3-year OHL career - but he has always been a very good play making assist guy too. Along with those 65 goals, he also had 62 assists last season. Now, it's true he played on a very good team with some pretty good offensively skilled team mates, but he still made the plays. His play recognition, vision and passing are pretty good too.

I think DCat, AA and Sharp will get more in-sync with more time together. DCat will probably end up as the play maker on that line and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with more assists than goals this season.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
DCat is known for scoring goals - 65 goals in 63 games last season at Erie, and 167 goals in 191 games for his 3-year OHL career - but he has always been a very good play making assist guy too. Along with those 65 goals, he also had 62 assists last season. Now, it's true he played on a very good team with some pretty good offensively skilled team mates, but he still made the plays. His play recognition, vision and passing are pretty good too.

I think DCat, AA and Sharp will get more in-sync with more time together. DCat will probably end up as the play maker on that line and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with more assists than goals this season.
well his overall game is or will be surprising. his stat point while in the OHL was almost equal his goal tally. if i remember correctly his line-mate were some very good prospects/players as well.

the point is, he will put points up in goal as well as assist .

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Honestly, I was more impressed with his pass to Anisimov on the PP. Borderline shot pass, but just his vision on that play makes me excited for what's to come.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Honestly, I was more impressed with his pass to Anisimov on the PP. Borderline shot pass, but just his vision on that play makes me excited for what's to come.
Likewise.

When he is at best,he can be outsraight unstoppable on PP,what ever its a insane passing play,
via even incredible hockey sense, or insane shot via hockey sense,anywhere on the ice,
because there isnt a place in the O-zone where he cannot score.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No denying that Cat is going to do really good things in the NHL. I do think he'll be a calder finalist. Been saying it for a while now. He has the potential to win it, too.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He's been embarrassing the bigger players he plays against and all the people who claim he can't get it done at every single level he's played.

He'll do it again at the NHL level.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
This kid is looking incredible, the Hawks are gonna need him if they are gonna do something this season. Schmaltzy and Cat to the rescue, he looks very comfortable out there and hopefully he just gets better as time goes.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
There's a lot to like about that goal. Aside from the beauty snipe itself, great smarts and awareness to pull up in that pivot. Not only did he open himself up for a one-timer, he created time and space for himself for that couple of seconds and that's all he needs. His intelligence and instincts on full display there. He knows how to find open ice and with that release he doesn't need a lot of time to get a good shot off.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad