Prospect Info: DeBrincat Part 2

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
ChiHawks10 states that ". But I still maintain that Q prefers his "safe" vets over rookies who would potentially have more upside."

Well, fans typically assert that a young players "upside" is high based largely on "hopeful expectation." We see guys on the ice we do not want there and simply assume these rookies have higher upside. Now, the coaches watch these young players all the time and know their drive and the details of how they prepare --- they TRULY know the upside --- based not on hopeful expectation. You mention Clenndenning, Perri, and the others --- and none of them have shown much of anything anywhere else. Every coach misses one every now and then, but Q has been rather remarkable at letting go of people who should be let go and playing the best option at the time.

Sure, he favors vets over guys like those let go. But he played Hartman, Schmaltz, and now i suspect D-Cat --- when a young guy is actually worthy and, at the same time, more ready than a vet --- Q sees that and goes with it.

Q is a HOF coach in an inexact area (determining who is most ready at the time) and has done very well in this area indeed. We should have no problem with what he does... he is usually right in the end and more often right than are his peers (other coaches) and amazingly better than are we as fans in making these decisions.

Hayes brothers? Kevin never stepped foot on the ice for Chicago, Jimmy is awful.
Nordstrom? He got his shot and Q liked him while others here didn't.
Johns? Could be, but he was sent down by Dallas after the trade the following year, and is a fringe NHL Dman as is.
Danault? May be one, but I thought Q liked him
Dano? Has done nothing in the NHL
Pirri? Gone from team to team and can't keep a job in the NHL (curently on PTO)
Morin? Sucks
Leddy? Q liked him, but we were stacked at D.
Clendening? Sucks

Lol, I said I was mostly wrong about this. Stop beating me up over it. :cry:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Putting aside his great possession numbers and how badly you're underrating his two-way game, at you 15-20 goal estimate, he's right in line with both the 1RW and 2C on the Blackhawks (assuming Schmaltz doesn't take that role, but even he's likely to be closer to 20 goals than 30).

Yeah, I guess he's a 2nd liner with scoring being what it is and I definitely underrate him defensively because he's a twig physically but he has a nice stick. You're right. Personal preference, I like Panik's game better.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
DeBrincat is a top-6 type player, meaning he is good enough offensively to get the most ice time playing with the best players. But I have no problem with DCat playing on the 3rd line with AA and Hartman, in fact I think it may provide better balance for lines 2 and 3. Obviously AA is good enough to be top-6 center as that's were he played the last 2 seasons, and Hartman, although more stylistically a bottom-6 type player, has enough of an offensive game to be considered middle-6 rather than assigned to the bottom-6 category. So, in effect 12-15-38 is a kind of Line2B. AA and Hartman provide a more physical presence than Schmaltz and Kane while also being good enough offensively to play with a player like DCat. Plus - Sharp with 8 and 88 should be a pretty good line combo too.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i was NEVER a TT fan and i stated it. esp on the other site, which i got into an argument about. i guess what bug me was he played too darn soft..

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
JD you did the same damn thing when you brought it up in the first place. Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Not in my opinion.

One presumption is based on a decision the coach made and an event that occurred.

One presumption runs counter to a decision the coach made and assumes change without any such pivotal incident.

But whatever.

And for the record, nobody is arguing that Q has overlooked or lost the team hall of famers. In almost every case though, from Handzus on down the list, Q's safe vet option was worse than the alternative.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
i was NEVER a TT fan and i stated it. esp on the other site, which i got into an argument about. i guess what bug me was he played too darn soft..

When he very first came up and during the run, he would get his ass just laid out to make a play, much like Panarin's rookie year. You can respect a physically weak player who plays tough. Look at Brinksy, he's fearless.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
DeBrincat is a top-6 type player, meaning he is good enough offensively to get the most ice time playing with the best players. But I have no problem with DCat playing on the 3rd line with AA and Hartman, in fact I think it may provide better balance for lines 2 and 3. Obviously AA is good enough to be top-6 center as that's were he played the last 2 seasons, and Hartman, although more stylistically a bottom-6 type player, has enough of an offensive game to be considered middle-6 rather than assigned to the bottom-6 category. So, in effect 12-15-38 is a kind of Line2B. AA and Hartman provide a more physical presence than Schmaltz and Kane while also being good enough offensively to play with a player like DCat. Plus - Sharp with 8 and 88 should be a pretty good line combo too.

I just don't agree, honestly. Who is the playmaker for Cat on that line of AA and Hartman? He needs someone with elite vision to find the same soft areas that he finds, in order to feed him the puck. His greatest asset is his shot from in close. I wouldn't classify either AA or Hartman as having elite vision. Although neither has terrible vision, either.

I just think Cat needs an elite playmaker on his line to get the most out of his talents/skillset. And that's not going to happen with AA and Hartman.

There is plenty of balance in the top 9 with these lines.

Saad Toews Panik
Cat Schmaltz Kane
Sharp AA Hartman

Keep Cat in the top 6. Trying to do more by putting him on the third line is overthinking things, IMO.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
When he very first came up and during the run, he would get his ass just laid out to make a play, much like Panarin's rookie year. You can respect a physically weak player who plays tough. Look at Brinksy, he's fearless.
and while you do make a point, there was more i saw like cycling outside the defensive zone waiting for that break out pass. he hardly skated back to defend. if he did it was like in the beginning fallowing a game he did this. then by the end of the game he was back to old self.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
and while you do make a point, there was more i saw like cycling outside the defensive zone waiting for that break out pass. he hardly skated back to defend. if he did it was like in the beginning fallowing a game he did this. then by the end of the game he was back to old self.

The bold is just not true and either is the part about cycling outside the zone. TT had his lumps but neither of what you mentioned are part of them.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
The bold is just not true and either is the part about cycling outside the zone. TT had his lumps but neither of what you mentioned are part of them.

well that is how i remembered it. i just didn't like the way he played.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I just don't agree, honestly. Who is the playmaker for Cat on that line of AA and Hartman? He needs someone with elite vision to find the same soft areas that he finds, in order to feed him the puck. His greatest asset is his shot from in close. I wouldn't classify either AA or Hartman as having elite vision. Although neither has terrible vision, either.

I just think Cat needs an elite playmaker on his line to get the most out of his talents/skillset. And that's not going to happen with AA and Hartman.

There is plenty of balance in the top 9 with these lines.

Saad Toews Panik
Cat Schmaltz Kane
Sharp AA Hartman

Keep Cat in the top 6. Trying to do more by putting him on the third line is overthinking things, IMO.

I understand your contention that DCat would do better with an elite playmaker like Kane rather than with merely competent linemates like AA and Hartman, but I think you may not be giving enough credence to DCat's playmaking ability. Yes, he's known for his shot, but his vision and passing are very good too. DCat not only averaged a goal per game, he also averaged an assist per game. He played with McDavid 3 years ago which would be similar to playing with Kane, but then he was basically the top playmaker on his line the last 2 years when he played mostly with Dylan Strome and Taylor Raddysh. In other words he would be the playmaker on the 12-15-38 line and whether he gets assists or goals - as long as the line puts the puck in the net is all that matters. Where is the playmaker on the 10-15-38 line? There isn't one. This way lines 2 and 3 have a very good playmaker.

Bottom line - it's a win-win either way.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I understand your contention that DCat would do better with an elite playmaker like Kane rather than with merely competent linemates like AA and Hartman, but I think you may not be giving enough credence to DCat's playmaking ability. Yes, he's known for his shot, but his vision and passing are very good too. DCat not only averaged a goal per game, he also averaged an assist per game. He played with McDavid 3 years ago which would be similar to playing with Kane, but then he was basically the top playmaker on his line the last 2 years when he played mostly with Dylan Strome and Taylor Raddysh. In other words he would be the playmaker on the 12-15-38 line and whether he gets assists or goals - as long as the line puts the puck in the net is all that matters. Where is the playmaker on the 10-15-38 line? There isn't one. This way lines 2 and 3 have a very good playmaker.

Bottom line - it's a win-win either way.

My thought process is that the 10-15-38 line doesn't need a prototypical playmaker as they'll be feasting on much lesser QoC.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I think more experienced player like Sharp needs to play with Kaner and Schmaltz at first which would give Cat much lesser QoC and more confidence down the road. And it's not like Sharp and DeBrincat are all different players. I mean I get why people like the idea when Cat is with Schmaltz and Kane, but I think Cat is better suited with guys like Anisimov and Hartman because he has more puck, can make more plays and Anisimov and Hartman make room for him. With Schmaltz and Kaner DCat doesn't get the puck that much. Sharp can do what Cat could do with #8 and #88 too and give better two-way game in to that line.

Cat with Anisimov and Hartman would also feast against lesser QoC. And I think Cat might be better player than Sharp really soon and if all top-9 lines click, what a fiesta we are going to have.

Reactions: EbonyRaptor

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not in my opinion.

One presumption is based on a decision the coach made and an event that occurred.

One presumption runs counter to a decision the coach made and assumes change without any such pivotal incident.

But whatever.

And for the record, nobody is arguing that Q has overlooked or lost the team hall of famers. In almost every case though, from Handzus on down the list, Q's safe vet option was worse than the alternative.
Your presumption was based off of 1 regular season game at the beginning of the year with a 19 year old rookie vs a vet 4th liner. It was only a matter of time before Carcillo was off that line, and everyone (but you apparently) knows it.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
There is not liking how he plays and then there is this. TT was weak on the puck but he was very responsible defensively and skated hard.
i will just agree to disagree.....

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Your presumption was based off of 1 regular season game at the beginning of the year with a 19 year old rookie vs a vet 4th liner. It was only a matter of time before Carcillo was off that line, and everyone (but you apparently) knows it.

It also ignores how Saad wasn't scoring much at all for 20 games but he was playing well up and down the Ice so Q kept him there and didn't shift him around because he wasn't scoring. It's not like even Q put him there because carbombs injury and he flurioushed scoring points, he got consistent good play despite scoring and rewarded it.

And Carcillo as 2nd line LWer the year before was one of my favorite ever flashpan lines with one of my favorite Hawks goals with kanes spinorama crosscrease pass to Hossa.

Can Debrincat at this point provide consistent the up Ice play? Maybe but he might need to provide scoring to stay in the Kane or Toews LWer role like anyone else the last two years has had to do.

Matt Ravlich

Oct 1, 2017
BC
saultonline.com
optimism is what I have for this Hawks team and their youngsters..
I think, (according to small sample size in preseason) Deputtytat lol will make the team right away, and will make us forget Panarin in a hurry. A.D. has the SHOT and the PASSING ability to go with his high hockey I.Q. My biggest concern is Hoss missing this season cuz he has big skates to fill. WHO will step up and fill them? Hoss may be HOF material?

Reactions: BobbyJet

Matt Ravlich

Oct 1, 2017
BC
saultonline.com
But i'm not all out of support or sympathy for all the doubters
or nay sayers,because we can't know for sure what will happen.

But its all there,all out there for all to see,what he is as a player
what he can do,what are his pro's and con's,what can one predict
or not,you just have to look really closely to see all the little things
what he does amazingly perfect,with or without the puck.

Maybe one needs more hockey knowledge,understanding of the game
to find those small details of his game,but practise makes perfect as they say.
http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks-team-stats?season=2017&category=SCORING&time=1
3 points in 4 games in his FIRST NHL competition is not too shabby! Comparing AD to TT is apple to oranges cuz AD has that KILLER instinct/attitude where TT was way too soft for the NHL. Completely different personalities. TT may do better in Europe with more room on the ice to hide from getting hit. BTW, I predicted Panarin would be a point a game player BEFORE he laced up in the NHL after seeing him play in the Worlds. I also said he may be mentally soft (flaky one way player) like many Russians have been in the past and still are now. The team CHEMISTRY is shaping up nice with Sharp and Saad back. Franson is a pleasant surprise on the D! Nice late pickup for Hawks!

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
It also ignores how Saad wasn't scoring much at all for 20 games but he was playing well up and down the Ice so Q kept him there and didn't shift him around because he wasn't scoring. It's not like even Q put him there because carbombs injury and he flurioushed scoring points, he got consistent good play despite scoring and rewarded it.

And Carcillo as 2nd line LWer the year before was one of my favorite ever flashpan lines with one of my favorite Hawks goals with kanes spinorama crosscrease pass to Hossa.

Can Debrincat at this point provide consistent the up Ice play? Maybe but he might need to provide scoring to stay in the Kane or Toews LWer role like anyone else the last two years has had to do.

Precisely. Everyone knows car bomb moving to the top lines was a temporary we need to find a spark sort of move. Q does that all the time. The fact peep's keep bringing this incident up is basically what this board does...make a mountain out of a molehill

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
Looks like the kid made the team, woot woot!!

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ch...g-finishing-touches-23-man-opening-day-roster
The Blackhawks are putting the finishing touches on their 23-man Opening Day roster, sending Vinnie Hinostroza to the American Hockey League’s Rockford IceHogs and placing forwards Tomas Jurco and Jordin Tootoo, and goaltender J-F Berube on waivers Monday. Michal Rozsival was also placed on long-term injured reserve.

The roster now sits at 27 players (16 forwards, eight defensemen and three goaltenders), but will be reduced to 24 once those other three clear waivers (or get claimed by another team).

Reactions: AmericanDream

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad