Rumor: DeBoer possibly getting fired?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Man, it would be great if we had a coach that had the chess mindset and figured out a system that would make this team play to its full potential. It gets frustrating when this organization has to always try to copy other systems. Why can't the sharks just utilize a system that works for them? Have someone else copy us for once. :mad:
Yeah. That would be nice to have a coach who adapts his system based on the players he has than try to base it off other teams. Trying to copy the system of a team like VGK when we don't have the team speed to match is never going to work.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Yeah. That would be nice to have a coach who adapts his system based on the players he has than try to base it off other teams. Trying to copy the system of a team like VGK when we don't have the team speed to match is never going to work.

Pete did that his first year as the coach. That produced a SCF appearance.

Then, unexplicitly, he starts adapting TMac's system of "pounding square pegs in round holes" or trying to get players to adopt a system/role they're not suited for.

Decades ago, IBM use to fancy themselves as being able to "pound square pegs into round holes". Meaning selling systems and services that don't quite fit. Look where that got them.

Also, speed is not at the core of the Knights system. Conditioning is. They are not a team of the fastest skaters in the NHL. They are team that are probably the most conditioned in the NHL. They are always moving, rarely coasting.

Perhaps Pete and DW are thinking this team will improve as the players get into shape that is required for that type of system. That would mean Kane would need to drink, party, and go to less concerts, but eat more healthy. Same too for some other Sharks.

Also the Sharks need to improve on shot blocking. We can usually count on them making a half-ass attempt that does more to screen the goalie than blocking the puck. Ask yourself when was the last time you saw a Shark skater block a slapshot in earnest?

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pete did that his first year as the coach. That produced a SCF appearance.

Then, unexplicitly, he starts adapting TMac's system of "pounding square pegs in round holes" or trying to get players to adopt a system/role they're not suited for.

Decades ago, IBM use to fancy themselves as being able to "pound square pegs into round holes". Meaning selling systems and services that don't quite fit. Look where that got them.

I think a mediocre coach on a new team with good talent will try to get a feel of the players and play a system to suit them. Its when newer players are introduced and the existing players are replaced or age that we really find out how adaptable the coach is.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
For anyone saying Ricci is going to be coach- No way. The dude is not on the level of a modern NHL level coach. His job is to hang around with the team, give pointers, develop young players and bullshit about the good ol days to the older guys. Not stat or tech savvy. No previous head coaching or captain ecperience. He was and still is a good locker room guy- nothing more nothing less.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I think a mediocre coach on a new team with good talent will try to get a feel of the players and play a system to suit them. Its when newer players are introduced and the existing players are replaced or age that we really find out how adaptable the coach is.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were describing Gerard Gallant and his performance last year with VGK.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
For anyone saying Ricci is going to be coach- No way. The dude is not on the level of a modern NHL level coach. His job is to hang around with the team, give pointers, develop young players and bull**** about the good ol days to the older guys. Not stat or tech savvy. No previous head coaching or captain ecperience. He was and still is a good locker room guy- nothing more nothing less.
Yeah I didn't want to say anything but what has Ricci done to prove that he would be an acceptable replacement for PDB.

In a previous post I mentioned "what if Q and Sutter say no? then what?" not meaning there are other candidates out there but I think everyone has this pie in the sky opinion that anyone will be better than PDB or that anyone we've identified as a possible replacement would happily agree to the job. It's the same when people say "I dont get why Wilson didnt sign player x, he sucks at his job". Sure it would be nice if we could fire Pete and hire coach Q tomorrow, but if we don't it doesn't necessarily mean we didn't try.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Yeah I didn't want to say anything but what has Ricci done to prove that he would be an acceptable replacement for PDB.

In a previous post I mentioned "what if Q and Sutter say no? then what?" not meaning there are other candidates out there but I think everyone has this pie in the sky opinion that anyone will be better than PDB or that anyone we've identified as a possible replacement would happily agree to the job. It's the same when people say "I dont get why Wilson didnt sign player x, he sucks at his job". Sure it would be nice if we could fire Pete and hire coach Q tomorrow, but if we don't it doesn't necessarily mean we didn't try.

Yes any particular candidate we throw out there might not be interested, but you'd be crazy to think there aren't hundreds of very capable, intelligent coaches who drop everything at the drop of a hat to even be the interim HC of this team.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
2nulvk.jpg
2nulvk

This is how I picture PDB when every lineup is announced.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What gets me is DeMelo is doing pretty well in Ottawa while EK regresses in our system. That’s a good enough sign that coaching/system is the issue here. Lol

While this is true, it's also a sign that the trade and Karlsson himself may not be as good as many thought. A true Norris caliber defenseman would be able to perform despite bad coaching. A Norris caliber defenseman also doesn't depend on a babysitter or sheltered usage. He can still turn it around but the fact that I predicted this doesn't give me much hope despite him typically getting better over the course of a season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While this is true, it's also a sign that the trade and Karlsson himself may not be as good as many thought. A true Norris caliber defenseman would be able to perform despite bad coaching. A Norris caliber defenseman also doesn't depend on a babysitter or sheltered usage. He can still turn it around but the fact that I predicted this doesn't give me much hope despite him typically getting better over the course of a season.

I shake my head at those thinking DeMelo is doing pretty well. He's playing with Chabot and sees the ice with guys like Duchene and Stone who know how to score even if the rest of the team isn't good enough to stop anything. But he still gets creamed at evens and he's a regular on their PK that is dead last. Karlsson isn't getting off to the start here that we want because he's getting the worst luck when it comes to pucks going in for his team when he's on the ice and the other team getting pucks in on our net. Now Karlsson was never going to be some elite defensive player but a lot of players putting up similar shot and chance numbers have gotten a lot better fates than what Karlsson is getting.

The argument that a true Norris caliber d-man would perform despite bad coaches would lead me to believe that you don't think Doughty is a true Norris caliber d-man or that Burns wasn't a true Norris caliber d-man when he's being babysat by the likes of Paul Martin or Joakim Ryan.

And I don't even know what you're calling 'predicting this' but I have a feeling it's just a lot more b.s.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I shake my head at those thinking DeMelo is doing pretty well. He's playing with Chabot and sees the ice with guys like Duchene and Stone who know how to score even if the rest of the team isn't good enough to stop anything. But he still gets creamed at evens and he's a regular on their PK that is dead last. Karlsson isn't getting off to the start here that we want because he's getting the worst luck when it comes to pucks going in for his team when he's on the ice and the other team getting pucks in on our net. Now Karlsson was never going to be some elite defensive player but a lot of players putting up similar shot and chance numbers have gotten a lot better fates than what Karlsson is getting.

The argument that a true Norris caliber d-man would perform despite bad coaches would lead me to believe that you don't think Doughty is a true Norris caliber d-man or that Burns wasn't a true Norris caliber d-man when he's being babysat by the likes of Paul Martin or Joakim Ryan.

And I don't even know what you're calling 'predicting this' but I have a feeling it's just a lot more b.s.

Doughty is elite...no doubt about that. I'm not Burns' greatest fan because he's always good for some dumb plays but when he's sharp there aren't many better ones on both ends. He's better than Karlsson for sure...always was.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doughty is elite...no doubt about that. I'm not Burns' greatest fan because he's always good for some dumb plays but when he's sharp there aren't many better ones on both ends. He's better than Karlsson for sure...always was.

Burns was always better than Karlsson? Nonsense.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Burns was always better than Karlsson? Nonsense.

Karlsson never really understood the defensive side of the game. His positioning is bad...and that's a very nice description for the random flower picking we get to see since years...Karlsson is a better passer but besides that it's not even close. Used to be a bit closer when Karlsson was still able to skate...right now it's not. Not anymore.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Karlsson never really understood the defensive side of the game. His positioning is bad...and that's a very nice description for the random flower picking we get to see since years...Karlsson is a better passer but besides that it's not even close. Used to be a bit closer when Karlsson was still able to skate...right now it's not. Not anymore.

This does not at all defend the statement that Burns was always better than Karlsson. You can't defend that statement because it's quite simply wrong. I've never bought into the hype that Karlsson was miles better than Burns that you'll see from certain people but to say that Burns was always better than Karlsson is an indefensibly incorrect statement to make. Just stop because it's embarrassing.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This does not at all defend the statement that Burns was always better than Karlsson. You can't defend that statement because it's quite simply wrong. I've never bought into the hype that Karlsson was miles better than Burns that you'll see from certain people but to say that Burns was always better than Karlsson is an indefensibly incorrect statement to make. Just stop because it's embarrassing.

I disagree. Burns had lots of bad stretches when he was trying too much and that's why I'm not his greatest fan...but at the end of the day he always was a much more complete player than Karlsson. Karlsson was never able to defend or shoot like Burns and he never will.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I disagree. Burns had lots of bad stretches when he was trying too much and that's why I'm not his greatest fan...but at the end of the day he always was a much more complete player than Karlsson. Karlsson was never able to defend or shoot like Burns and he never will.

I don't really care if you disagree because your opinion isn't credible. I just laugh at stuff like this because that's all it deserves. lol

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I made a post about PDB on local fan group page (that was mostly light hearted about a coaching change and the timing coinciding with the Sharks @ Stars game this upcoming Fri) and, of course, our fan group has gotten big enough to have trolls, or at least one, who responded with the classic "you don't know what you're talking about" and then gave this gem in support of his contention that I didn't know what I was talking about:

He's not on the ice when they're playing. He can't make them stop making stupid passes, giving the puck away, or playing horrible defensive. Pdb put a great system in place, it's up to the players to execute the game.

The Sharks really need to can PDB now, just so I can one up this troll before we inevitably see each other this Fri (we are all in group seats together). lol

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I made a post about PDB on local fan group page (that was mostly light hearted about a coaching change and the timing coinciding with the Sharks @ Stars game this upcoming Fri) and, of course, our fan group has gotten big enough to have trolls, or at least one, who responded with the classic "you don't know what you're talking about" and then gave this gem in support of his contention that I didn't know what I was talking about:

The Sharks really need to can PDB now, just so I can one up this troll before we inevitably see each other this Fri (we are all in group seats together). lol

Let's make this happen. Who is in Ottawa with a baseball bat?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Perhaps he's wrong on that last bit, but everything else is true

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A big part of the reason that they are "making stupid passes, giving the puck away, or playing horrible defensive" is because of the system that PDB has put into place.

The system leads to odd man rushes and players being out of position, but at the ice level the players are making a lot of mistakes. Braun and Vlasic especially (and Karlsson initially) amongst the defensemen and Labanc, Couture, and the fourth line amongst the forwards. Not to mention the atrocious goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad