Rumor: DeBoer possibly getting fired?

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
If he's canned, PLEASE let it be before 12/7. We Sharks fans in Dallas deserve a new coach inspired win especially since the Sharks are 0fer in their last 5 Dallas road games and have been demolished most of those games. All we want is to see Sharks win in person in Dallas again this decade!

Eklund72

Apr 8, 2007
Sorry but ive been supressing this rant for a bit.....
Using a shutdown strategy with the talents we have is moronic. This team is built for offense, yet we play our best players in a shutdown role. It doesnt even look like Couture or Hertl care about scoring even strength anymore. Braun and Vlasic can't get the puck out to save their life (hmmm i wonder who we could use more to help get the puck out), and our top line is in the d-zone way too much because of it. And I havent even gotten to talking about the powerplay. So many obvious flaws but Deboer is obviously way too stubborn to change anything (like maybe putting Burns in a one-timer position on the pp instead of Couture).

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I think DeBoer's biggest problem is he cares so little about the regular season that he thinks he can just make the playoffs by default with the talent on his roster

Reactions: Napreemer

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I know Sutter is old school and might not be a good fit for the new nhl but I honestly wouldn't mind him for a short term 1-2 year stint. The fact is the Sharks are not a fast team and they're going to need to figure out a way to beat faster teams if they want to win the cup. Sutter managed to win 2 cups with an average speed Kings team and managed to beat the fast skilled Hawks. If he can instill great defense and we get playoff Jones maybe we got a shot.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Let's talk about who actually could be hired during the season, whether it be on long-term or interim:

A current AHL coach is probably impossible, right? Because no NHL team is going to give the Sharks permission to sign someone who is currently under contract and coaching their AHL team, right? I know teams give permission during the offseason, but honestly, no chance the Leafs give the Sharks permission to negotiate an NHL HC contract for Sheldon Keefe during this season, right? (Just using that as an example)

What about current NCAA coaches?
Nothing to stop them from quitting their NCAA job (except for terms in their college contract) and signing with the Sharks, right?

So am I correct that our pool of coaches to replace PDB mid-season are non-AHL coaches, non current NHL AC's, leaving basically coaches sitting at home (Q, Sutter, etc.) and coaches at other levels (NCAA, juniors, etc.)? (and of course, anyone in the Sharks org is fair game, naturally)

Not making a point, I want PDB gone now, I'm just trying to understand who can and cannot be easily hired by the Sharks mid-season to replace PDB.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Let's talk about who actually could be hired during the season, whether it be on long-term or interim:

A current AHL coach is probably impossible, right? Because no NHL team is going to give the Sharks permission to sign someone who is currently under contract and coaching their AHL team, right? I know teams give permission during the offseason, but honestly, no chance the Leafs give the Sharks permission to negotiate an NHL HC contract for Sheldon Keefe during this season, right? (Just using that as an example)

What about current NCAA coaches?
Nothing to stop them from quitting their NCAA job (except for terms in their college contract) and signing with the Sharks, right?

So am I correct that our pool of coaches to replace PDB mid-season are non-AHL coaches, non current NHL AC's, leaving basically coaches sitting at home (Q, Sutter, etc.) and coaches at other levels (NCAA, juniors, etc.)? (and of course, anyone in the Sharks org is fair game, naturally)

Not making a point, I want PDB gone now, I'm just trying to understand who can and cannot be easily hired by the Sharks mid-season to replace PDB.

Every single NHL team is going to give the Sharks permission to sign someone from the AHL. They're not going to get in the way of someone getting promoted to the NHL.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Every single NHL team is going to give the Sharks permission to sign someone from the AHL. They're not going to get in the way of someone getting promoted to the NHL.

Even mid season? I've never heard of someone plucking another teams AHL coach to be their HC as a mid season replacement. Of course just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it couldn't.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Even mid season? I've never heard of someone plucking another teams AHL coach to be their HC as a mid season replacement. Of course just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean it couldn't.

It's not the norm because most people wanting a coach midseason want someone established to get the attention of the players but not hiring AHL coaches is more to do with that being the standard way teams handle the situation more than other teams not giving permission to hire them.

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Kinda wish Marco Sturm hadn't been snatched up by LA at the start of the month. I know International play is different but he did good things with the German team.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
If Pete's getting fired it's either hire Quennville or don't hire anyone at all. There's too much on the line to hire someone from the AHL midseason and hope they figure it out in time.

Who says you can only choose between Quenneville and AHL?

Reactions: ChompChomp

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Who says you can only choose between Quenneville and AHL?

Exactly, the possibilities, even in the interim, are endless.

You could even promote Ricci to Interim HC and hire Hedican to be his Interim AC. (I always get this feeling that's what Hedi wants, a coaching job moreso than broadcasting). Just one of a million theoretical scenarios.

Last edited:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Exactly, the possibilities, even in the interim, are endless.

You could even promote Ricci to Interim HC and hire Hedican to be his Interim AC. (I always get this feeling that's what Hedi wants, a coaching job moreso than broadcasting). Just one of a million theoretical scenarios.
No idea what Hedi wants but the general thought on this board has been that he likes to the limited travel and what not. Coaching would be a big change.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
No idea what Hedi wants but the general thought on this board has been that he likes to the limited travel and what not. Coaching would be a big change.
Yeah I don't see it. Right now he's a fan like you and me who also happens to get paid for being so. Zero pressure, travels with the team, flexible schedule.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah I don't see it. Right now he's a fan like you and me who also happens to get paid for being so. Zero pressure, travels with the team, flexible schedule.

I honestly don't think that Hedi has the brains you'd want for the job. Takes a lot of patience and I think he still has too much of the player mentality that is not good in a coach.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I honestly don't think that Hedi has the brains you'd want for the job. Takes a lot of patience and I think he still has too much of the player mentality that is not good in a coach.

The bar wasn't set very high, but his suggested PK strategy was loads better than Woodcroft's. :laugh:

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Head Coach: Doug Murray- Smart guy and the only one in the organization whom Karlsson is familiar with before coming here.
Defensive Assistant: Paul Martin- Help develop Ryan and other d-men and be the Wookie whisperer from the bench.
PP assistant: Dan Boyle- One of the best PP QBs the Sharks have ever had.

Reactions: Used As A Shield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad