Rumor: DeBoer possibly getting fired?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The system leads to odd man rushes and players being out of position, but at the ice level the players are making a lot of mistakes. Braun and Vlasic especially (and Karlsson initially) amongst the defensemen and Labanc, Couture, and the fourth line amongst the forwards. Not to mention the atrocious goaltending.

I agree. I’m quite disappointed with plenty of the roster; Braun, Vlasic, and Couture particularly stand out. Given what they are paid and what is expected of them, I would name Kane as an issue before LaBanc. And yes, the goaltending has been god awful.

However, I think that some of these issues can be explained by poor coaching and the system. And some of the players may end up playing with more confidence and a more consistent effort if they are playing underneath a different coach.

Look, I keep coming back to this: there are a ton of concerns on this team, top to bottom. However, the biggest issue is quite clearly that the team is playing a very flawed system that has been scouted and that does not play to the strengths. The individual players could all be perfect, and the team would probably still look pretty bad. Meanwhile, if you changed coaches and implemented a good system some of the players might start to look a little better.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I agree. I’m quite disappointed with plenty of the roster; Braun, Vlasic, and Couture particularly stand out. Given what they are paid and what is expected of them, I would name Kane as an issue before LaBanc. And yes, the goaltending has been god awful.

However, I think that some of these issues can be explained by poor coaching and the system. And some of the players may end up playing with more confidence and a more consistent effort if they are playing underneath a different coach.

Look, I keep coming back to this: there are a ton of concerns on this team, top to bottom. However, the biggest issue is quite clearly that the team is playing a very flawed system that has been scouted and that does not play to the strengths. The individual players could all be perfect, and the team would probably still look pretty bad. Meanwhile, if you changed coaches and implemented a good system some of the players might start to look a little better.
I know a lot of people like Couture’s candor in his interviews, but I actually don’t considering just how poor he’s been this season. He needs to lead by example, and he hasn’t done that. He’s been playing with Timo and Hertl almost all season and they’ve been doing all the heavy lifting.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I know a lot of people like Couture’s candor in his interviews, but I actually don’t considering just how poor he’s been this season. He needs to lead by example, and he hasn’t done that. He’s been playing with Timo and Hertl almost all season and they’ve been doing all the heavy lifting.
I agree with this but only because he sounds super bitter about it rather than talking about it like a leader

Reactions: socalsharksfan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'll give him a pass because Buffalo and Toronto are 2 of the league's best teams, but a loss to Ottawa today should send Pete packing.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If he makes it to tomorrows game DW has lost his mind.

If I'm DW I fire Pete and coach the game my damn self tomorrow

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
If he makes it to tomorrows game DW has lost his mind.

If I'm DW I fire Pete and coach the game my damn self tomorrow

Pull a coach Pop and maybe we can go on to win 4 championships with DW as GM and coach.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Kurz thinks firing Pete is a panic move. Reality is it should have been done after last season

I disagree, but it should've been done weeks ago.

The system looked broken then, and it looks just as broken now if not moreso. I'm not sure what else we need to see from this coaching staff.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I disagree, but it should've been done weeks ago.

The system looked broken then, and it looks just as broken now if not moreso. I'm not sure what else we need to see from this coaching staff.
The problem is that it looked broken last year.....

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Pulling Jones at 5:00 reeked of desperation and a coach that has no clue how to get this team going. They need a kick in the butt right now. A trade isn't going to do it right now IMO.

unless that trade was for a goalie that can stop a goddamned puck every once in a while

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
unless that trade was for a goalie that can stop a goddamned puck every once in a while

A coach with a defensive-first mindset would probably see the goalies improve since they'd actually have confidence that their team isn't going to hang them out to dry. There's enough offensive talent on this team that they don't need to take significant risk to try and maintain puck possession.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
The problem is that it looked broken last year.....

Please. Not broken like this. We had a subpar offense at times, but we still had a good defensive structure. This year the defense is a mess, he's making increasingly nonsensical coaching decisions, we have bad goalie play, everything.

I was fine with giving him another chance, but he needs to be shown the door before the damage is too much to come back from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad