Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Backes will do fine this year. There no telling how long he may have been playing under stress from colon problems. He's no teenager at his age age it takes longer to recover.

he did score 14 in only 57 games last year. If he plays more I don't see it being impossible.

Think about this for a moment, Pacioretty only had 4 more points than Backes last year and Backes played less games. Backes, a totally different type of player who brings a different skill set was on par with Patches in scoring last year.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
How are we thinking David looks out there through 2 pre-season games? Watched the 1st game and thought he was slow and behind the play consistently.... didn't watch today.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Why is he not playing center again?

"There's different responsibilities. I think you feel a little more connected," said Backes, who did have two goals while playing with Marchand and Pastrnak during his Bruins debut . "But there is certainly more work to be done in the middle, defensive responsibilities, taking face-offs, you just feel like you're more connected to the game."

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

"There's different responsibilities. I think you feel a little more connected," said Backes, who did have two goals while playing with Marchand and Pastrnak during his Bruins debut . "But there is certainly more work to be done in the middle, defensive responsibilities, taking face-offs, you just feel like you're more connected to the game."

in all the years watching the team, this is one of the biggest mysteries that nobody
has uncovered. we know a lot of the writers troll here for ideas and info, maybe
someone can write a thesis on it.

Reactions: dafoomie and BMC

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It's just one game, but I thought he looked like a different player in the middle.

Sure his feet are slightly quicker, but I don't think Backes gets enough credit for his hockey sense and reads. When he's on the wing, in his own zone he's more stationary, less involved. In the neutral zone and offensive zone when the Bruins don't have the puck, he's trying to smash puck carriers and create forechecking pressure. Problem is, he isn't fast enough to beat D-men on dump-ins and force guys to make bad decisions with the puck with pressure.

Last night he let the game come to him, rather than waste energy running around trying to be uber-physical. Use his reads and Hockey IQ to get in position to make it harder for puck carriers and when he got the puck, made quick, short, simple passes to his speedier wingers.

With the gaping hole at 3rd line C and the bevy of young wingers pushing for jobs to me this should be a no-brainer for the coaching staff at least to start the season. If it doesn't work, you can always put him back at RW, but at least it was tried.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's just one game, but I thought he looked like a different player in the middle.

Sure his feet are slightly quicker, but I don't think Backes gets enough credit for his hockey sense and reads. When he's on the wing, in his own zone he's more stationary, less involved. In the neutral zone and offensive zone when the Bruins don't have the puck, he's trying to smash puck carriers and create forechecking pressure. Problem is, he isn't fast enough to beat D-men on dump-ins and force guys to make bad decisions with the puck with pressure.

Last night he let the game come to him, rather than waste energy running around trying to be uber-physical. Use his reads and Hockey IQ to get in position to make it harder for puck carriers and when he got the puck, made quick, short, simple passes to his speedier wingers.

With the gaping hole at 3rd line C and the bevy of young wingers pushing for jobs to me this should be a no-brainer for the coaching staff at least to start the season. If it doesn't work, you can always put him back at RW, but at least it was tried.

Again, 6 million per to play David Backes at RW for the duration of his entire five year contract makes no sense. I think at this point, even at this age, he's a true asset down the middle.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
in all the years watching the team, this is one of the biggest mysteries that nobody
has uncovered. we know a lot of the writers troll here for ideas and info, maybe
someone can write a thesis on it.

I remember when he was first signed, he even talked about being down the middle. I never understood why Boston changed the role he plays in a game. In St Louis he was playing center and on the PK for roughly 2 minutes a game. In Boston he's played almost no PK time.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I remember when he was first signed, he even talked about being down the middle. I never understood why Boston changed the role he plays in a game. In St Louis he was playing center and on the PK for roughly 2 minutes a game. In Boston he's played almost no PK time.

This situation has been really confusing from the start. Might be another case of bad pro scouting giving bad assessment of the player leading to the management signing the wrong guy.

Reactions: bryson21

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Again, 6 million per to play David Backes at RW for the duration of his entire five year contract makes no sense. I think at this point, even at this age, he's a true asset down the middle.

he was routinely a selke candidate for maybe 5-6 years in st louis. pretty sure he was
runner-up to bergy in one of those years

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
he was routinely a selke candidate for maybe 5-6 years in st louis. pretty sure he was

Ya 2011-2012.

Backes was actually top 5 in Selke voting for 4 of his last 5 years in St Louis. Kind of makes the situation in Boston seem that much weirder

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Ya 2011-2012.

Backes was actually top 5 in Selke voting for 4 of his last 5 years in St Louis. Kind of makes the situation in Boston seem that much weirder
The only logical thing I could think of is that they preferred speed over size down the middle....but then you look at the two guys ahead of him, and the guy who played 3rd line C last year (Nash) and end up still scratching your head.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He should have won in 2011. Didn't even make the finalists but he should have won.

I still believe that he's played wing in Boston because they lack big wingers who routinely win board battles. He's as close as they have to a Lucic like presence.

At first it's something I agreed with (when he was in the top six). But for a third line role, he'd be far more valuable at center. Should have played there last season too.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Cehlarik criticized for being a little to stationary. I thought that was complete bull. Then I watch Backes and I’m w t f He did absolutely nothing to help the team last night. I’m so frustrated with this player.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Cehlarik criticized for being a little to stationary. I thought that was complete bull. Then I watch Backes and I’m w t f He did absolutely nothing to help the team last night. I’m so frustrated with this player.

He's no Ryan Spooner that's for sure.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I dont know what the issue but the fact he is not our #3C is absolutely ridiculous.

We are paying him 6 million dollars a year he was a former #1C on a top team. And that is our biggest area of need. I dont understand. I thought he did fine centering Pasta and Marchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad