Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Looked much better on the 4th line. No pressure and just play his bruisin game comfortably

Callahan is another overpaid 4th line vet...but it works. Keep Backes on the 4th

Just because TB has an overpaid Callahan in the same spot as we have Backes doesn't really make it okay.

Reactions: BadBruins

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Just because TB has an overpaid Callahan in the same spot as we have Backes doesn't really make it okay.

Yes...but what are you going to do?

Backes is a stressed 3rd liner but prototypical 4th liner in todays nhl. 4th line today was in sync. Punished and bruised the Sabres

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yes...but what you going to do?

Backes is a stressed 3rd liner but prototypical 4th liner in todays nhl. 4th line today was in sync. Punished and bruised the Sabres

I get ya, we have to make the best of it and I guess there is some small comfort in that we aren't the only team with one of those guys :laugh: I hate it, though. 6 million dollar man doing fook all on a 4th line.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I get ya, we have to make the best of it and I guess there is some small comfort in that we aren't the only team with one of those guys :laugh: I hate it, though. 6 million dollar man doing fook all on a 4th line.

Good thing is Cassidy rolls all 4 lines usually. And Backes will get his side mins on the pp, pk and empty net situation

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
It’s not going to work out. Just isn’t.

Called this the moment he was signed. But if he gives some effort on the bottom 6 in whatever capacity, I'll take. The cost is sunk now. Just gotta get whatever we can out of him one the ice now. I'll take every drop of 6 million dollar leadership.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I haven’t read one post in this thread been watching Pats but I’ll laugh if someone said he didn’t play well tonight

It’s funny because he hasn’t played well. The bruins have themselves a real issue. What to do with a 6 mil over the hill player. It must be very difficult for them to watch. Challenging to say the least.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I haven’t read one post in this thread been watching Pats but I’ll laugh if someone said he didn’t play well tonight

I mean honestly what other reason would people post in a Backes thread? People have been on his him since the day he was signed.

Reactions: BMC

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
It’s funny because he hasn’t played well. The bruins have themselves a real issue. What to do with a 6 mil over the hill player. It must be very difficult for them to watch. Challenging to say the least.

The list of guys to move on from has been known from the word go. They finally did it with Quader, he was on the list for some time. Backes is on it, Hayes was on it. It's almost as if some people knew these big dudes were a total waste of money. Shocking.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Funny how ?

Why did Cassidy say he played well?

Is he a liar?

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Back Aches has one of the worst contracts in the league. Can he be buried in the minors or no? That being said, last nights lines looked much better. Imagine putting Duchene between Heinen and Bjork. Bruins would have 3 very potent lines. Kuraly is a 4th liner.

Reactions: TCB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I mean honestly what other reason would people post in a Backes thread? People have been on his him since the day he was signed.
Agree

I had the radio on in the kitchen and caught Beers comment in the third about Backes that were in line with what I posted

Cassidy mentioned him as well.

I DVR the game I’m going to rewatch his shifts because I apparently like Cassidy and Beers saw a different game.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I'm not prepared to write him off just yet, however to say Cassidy said he played well has to be taken with a grain of salt. Tthis is the same Cassidy that dropped him down to the 4th line after 1 game. He's not going to throw a letter wearing, senior member of the team under the bus. I will say, I'm not sure what exactly people see that Backes brings to the game. He seems unable to have enough speed to create a hard forecheck in the offensive zone, doesn't seem to have the foot speed to create. Obviously very smart in the defensive zone but in the very short two games I've watched this season, I really don't know what Backes brings to the 4th line that Wagner couldn't have done.

Reactions: Blowfish and Estlin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well, money would of been wiser spent elsewhere.

I like Backes but the Bruins gave him a contract that even they would want a mulligan on.

Sure, its easy to look at a deal 3 years later and complain, but at the time of the deal the contract was right around the market value. Its not Backes fault the team doesn't use him as a center (even though he's paid as one). The guy went from playing top 6 w/ St. Louis to bottom 6 in Boston with lesser talent or rookies. I'm honestly not surprised his numbers have dropped, not to mention he spent most of last season in and out of the line-up for medical reasons.

Backes was fine last night. The guy is trying to change his game to fit in today's NHL and that doesn't happen over night. He dropped some weight this summer, so he's still working on bring his style of play, but at a lighter weight (not easy for a his style of play).

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I liked Backes on the 4th line. Sad day for him but at the same time it makes our 4th line that much better :)
he lost 10 lbs but didn't look any faster imo.... i wonder how many years left he has in the tank? 1-2?

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Interesting that '4th liner' David Backes still played 16:31 TOI which was 3rd among forwards.

I guess stats can be looked at from different viewpoints. I will say my eye test from watching the game told me much of his time on ice was spent hemmed up in his own defensive end and also as a result of his foot speed was often the last player on his line to get to a bench for a line change.

Personally I don't see how his TOI based on what I saw lends any credibility to his value.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I guess stats can be looked at from different viewpoints. I will say my eye test from watching the game told me much of his time on ice was spent hemmed up in his own defensive end and also as a result of his foot speed was often the last player on his line to get to a bench for a line change.

Personally I don't see how his TOI based on what I saw lends any credibility to his value.

Just that his usage hasn't been one of a traditional 4th line forward even if that's what the depth chart says. He still got PP time and is still probably one of Cassidy's more trusted forwards. His performance hasn't been good but it doesn't appear he has lost the faith of his coach yet. He needs to be better I'm sure everyone is on the same page in that regard. I'm very confident he will be given every opportunity to try earn his paycheck. Will he? I don't know.

Reactions: smack66

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

He was also on the wing furthest away from the bench for 2 of the 3 periods lol. In that situation the RW is typically the last guy to come off the ice among the FWD's :laugh:

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
He was also on the wing furthest away from the bench for 2 of the 3 periods lol. In that situation the RW is typically the last guy to come off the ice among the FWD's :laugh:

the laugh is a bit unnecessary as we clearly cheer for the same team although we have opposing views of the value of David Backes to this team.

54 years old and I think I understand that the RW has a longer change two of the three times. We can use stats to beat this to death i.e Pasta was on ice only 7 seconds more then Bergy yet he plays right wing , why was Backes on ice for more then 2 minutes then his Centre? I'm sticking to my eye test that told me for two games Backes was weak inside both blue lines and didn't seem able to keep up to the play. I honestly hope I'm wrong and he scores twenty goals. Unfortunately I just don't see it and see someone who is in sharp decline. Again, not challenging his work ethic as the guy seems to have done everything right in the off season but unfortunately father time hits people differently and it seems to me it has hit him hard. time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad