Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
the laugh is a bit unnecessary as we clearly cheer for the same team although we have opposing views of the value of David Backes to this team.

54 years old and I think I understand that the RW has a longer change two of the three times. We can use stats to beat this to death i.e Pasta was on ice only 7 seconds more then Bergy yet he plays right wing , why was Backes on ice for more then 2 minutes then his Centre? I'm sticking to my eye test that told me for two games Backes was weak inside both blue lines and didn't seem able to keep up to the play. I honestly hope I'm wrong and he scores twenty goals. Unfortunately I just don't see it and see someone who is in sharp decline. Again, not challenging his work ethic as the guy seems to have done everything right in the off season but unfortunately father time hits people differently and it seems to me it has hit him hard. time will tell.

Well probably because a minute of that extra TOI was due to Backes having 1:13 of PP time while Acciari has 0:00 of PP time. The other factor was when Buffalo pulled their goalie with 5 minutes to go, Cassidy moved Backes up to play with Krejci to help out defensively. Also that feeling of him being hemmed in his own zone might have something to do with the fact that 100% of his ES zone starts have come in the D-zone.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think after last year you’ve got to give him 25 games or so before you can really pass judgement on him no?

Lots of veterans seem to start slow as well. Iginla used to be notorious for it. Now Backes is no Iginla obviously but I’m willing to cut him some slack for a bit here.

He had a brutal list of injuries last year. That will take a toll on any player. If he can start grinding through games I think the confidence in his body (and head) goes up too. Let’s give him some time before taking him behind the barn.

Reactions: BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Funny how ?

Why did Cassidy say he played well?

Is he a liar?

He moved him to the 4th line. Much like the 3rd line night before the 4th line was hemmed in. He said he had a nice game ? Moving a 6 mil vet to 4th lone out of necessity he better day something nice. In my opionion he looks aweful. It’s really too bad. Like the guy just not his hockey playing right now.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He moved him to the 4th line. Much like the 3rd line night before the 4th line was hemmed in. He said he had a nice game ? Moving a 6 mil vet to 4th lone out of necessity he better day something nice. In my opionion he looks aweful. It’s really too bad. Like the guy just not his hockey playing right now.

I don't get why fans get so caught up in the "line number" a guy plays on. Last night Backes was 3rd in TOI among Bruins forwards. Only Marchand and Krejci played more and Krejci by all of 7 seconds. I mean going by the TOI and how Cassidy was actually rolling lines, it was the Kuraly line that was the "4th line" last night against Buffalo.

Reactions: Tmac37

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't get why fans get so caught up in the "line number" a guy plays on. Last night Backes was 3rd in TOI among Bruins forwards. Only Marchand and Krejci played more and Krejci by all of 7 seconds. I mean going by the TOI and how Cassidy was actually rolling lines, it was the Kuraly line that was the "4th line" last night against Buffalo.

I see a player trying to keep up with the pace of the game. He is routinely stationary and many times a play will die on his stick. I’m hoping he improves but not confident he can keep up with the speed.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I see a player trying to keep up with the pace of the game. He is routinely stationary and many times a play will die on his stick. I’m hoping he improves but not confident he can keep up with the speed.

I haven't seen that, but everyone sees the game in their own way.

Reactions: BBruins

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think after last year you’ve got to give him 25 games or so before you can really pass judgement on him no?

Lots of veterans seem to start slow as well. Iginla used to be notorious for it. Now Backes is no Iginla obviously but I’m willing to cut him some slack for a bit here.

He had a brutal list of injuries last year. That will take a toll on any player. If he can start grinding through games I think the confidence in his body (and head) goes up too. Let’s give him some time before taking him behind the barn.

Why single him out now when all the forwards have been bad apart from the first line one game. But we are out of excuses with the no center thing he has to play there at some point soon if only to bridge the gap until a kid is ready.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Why single him out now when all the forwards have been bad apart from the first line one game. But we are out of excuses with the no center thing he has to play there at some point soon if only to bridge the gap until a kid is ready.
Ya I’d agree on him being centre. It can’t really be any worse than the other options no?

If he’s still around come the TDL I’d like the Bruins to maybe explore getting Hayes out of NYR. He’d possibly be a good fit for a 3rd line/2nd line if injuries centre depth.

In the meantime, channel your inner 2010 self Dave.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
You have hated the Backes signing from day one, he is too tough, too old and plays a traditional crash and bang game you hate. He isn't young or fast that doesn't mean he is not a capable player. A group of 5'2 forwards (which sweengenius is pretty close to having) isnt going to win, sadly the 74 Flyers would no longer be effetive either.

Backes is overpaid, just like pretty much every UFA, but he can still be a useful player on a small team. I look forward to him playing center and think it is where he should have been all along.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
You have hated the Backes signing from day one, he is too tough, too old and plays a traditional crash and bang game you hate. He isn't young or fast that doesn't mean he is not a capable player. A group of 5'2 forwards (which sweengenius is pretty close to having) isnt going to win, sadly the 74 Flyers would no longer be effetive either.

Backes is overpaid, just like pretty much every UFA, but he can still be a useful player on a small team. I look forward to him playing center and think it is where he should have been all along.

The Bruins have literally 2 forwards under 6 feet. One of them is Acciari whose only value seems to be that he hits, and the other is Marchand. Come on, man

I agree with your take on Backes though :laugh:

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The Bruins have literally 2 forwards under 6 feet. One of them is Acciari whose only value seems to be that he hits, and the other is Marchand. Come on, man

I was just about to say this.

I will say that as an average, the Bruins forward group doesn't appear very imposing. Averaging 6'0 1/4 and 194 lbs. I think the Bruins forward group would best be described as medium-sized.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

Funny how this mythical group of forwards shrunk from 5’7” to 5’2”

Poor little fellas

Reactions: hrdpuk

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I was just about to say this.

I will say that as an average, the Bruins forward group doesn't appear very imposing. Averaging 6'0 1/4 and 194 lbs. I think the Bruins forward group would best be described as medium-sized.

They're certainly not the biggest group. But they're also bigger than the Lightning forward group and they still got pushed around. Attitude is more important than sheer size

Reactions: BMC

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

He has not been playung crash and bang. Sorry I’m not seeing it.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Think Backes needs to be the 3C going forward. Until someone earns it. Still don’t have an issue with Kuraly getting a shot. Guy busts his ass off. As long as Backes continues his play I think it’s the best option right now. He had a couple good scoring chances where he was all alone after good positioning. He’ll start burying those.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Think Backes needs to be the 3C going forward. Until someone earns it. Still don’t have an issue with Kuraly getting a shot. Guy busts his ass off. As long as Backes continues his play I think it’s the best option right now. He had a couple good scoring chances where he was all alone after good positioning. He’ll start burying those.
It's about damn time they put him at center. He is a better fit there than at wing. He still has good skill and strength, just doesn't have the speed he used to have.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
At this point 50% in the dot, 2 hits, 2 shots and a block is like the Backes hat trick. He does something like that every night and frankly I'd be totally fine with no pts. Thought he did his best to be involved and contribute. Was more than stiffs like Hayes did on their way out.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
At this point 50% in the dot, 2 hits, 2 shots and a block is like the Backes hat trick. He does something like that every night and frankly I'd be totally fine with no pts. Thought he did his best to be involved and contribute. Was more than stiffs like Hayes did on their way out.

It’s true. He contributes more than the most useless player I’ve ever seen wear a Bruins sweater.

Unfortunately, even after an extremely underwhelming Bruins tenure, I hold him to a higher standard.

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad