Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
People hate his age & contract and thus want him gone for the unknown Replacement Player X that is sure to be so much better :sarcasm: :rolleyes:

I want him back if he decides he's healthy enough (w/r/t concussions) to play. IMO he is still a valuable player for the Bruins. FWIW.

We shouldn't blame the player for signing the contract he was offered.

I don't know if David can come back next season with a solid performance.

I'm a big fan.

If he's "done," then I guess he's done. But I'll be rooting for him.

Reactions: BMC

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I don't know if David can come back next season with a solid performance.

I'm a big fan.

If he's "done," then I guess he's done. But I'll be rooting for him.

I doubt that he will. He's a year older and probably slower. The best that Boston got out of him was his first season, and even that wasn't all that great, especially given the $6 million price tag.

It was a bad contract then and remains one now. Backes sounds like a great guy and good team-mate, but I'm not holding my breath for much from him this coming season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is a perfect situation for Boston and Backes,

If I was coaching the Bruins I would have plenty of areas I’d use him

My assessment looking at him as a coach

Off ICE
Locker room presence - leadership and accountability

Plays through all sorts of pain like Mark Recchi did

When teams took extra jabs and were a little more physical with younger players David Backes was right there to answer

ON ICE

Plus PP net front presence - superb hand and eye coordination for tips, great positioning for screens, plus passer - skilled top 6 offensive player on PP

Final minute of games he’s your best guy on the high wall/Boards getting puck out which is why Cassidy often uses him

Why did Lucic and Backes clean up with ENG because many D were scared shit less of Lucic in a one on one puck battle and Backes is fearless and smart plus will go through them.

He’s their best forward body checker and hits per TOI per points over past 2 years I believe trailed only Foligno

He also provides face off insurance in final minutes of pulled goalie defending / and even when not taking them he looks like Reggie White going for any puck heading back to the point

With a fluid bottom 6 I want this guy there for stability

He signed his contract I move on to what he can do to help them win- grousing about his contract incessantly is the sign of someone who can’t move on- not good.

When you can’t get by the contract or never played serious team sports it’s easy to dismiss him as GARBAGE

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Off ICE

When teams took extra jabs and were a little more physical with younger players David Backes was right there to answer

ON ICE

Plus PP net front presence - superb hand and eye coordination for tips, great positioning for screens, plus passer - skilled top 6 offensive player on PP

Final minute of games he’s your best guy on the high wall/Boards getting puck out which is why Cassidy often uses him

Why did Lucic and Backes clean up with ENG because many D were scared **** less of Lucic in a one on one puck battle and Backes is fearless and smart plus will go through them.

He’s their best forward body checker and hits per TOI per points over past 2 years I believe trailed only Foligno

He also provides face off insurance in final minutes of pulled goalie defending / and even when not taking them he looks like Reggie White going for any puck heading back to the point

He signed his contract I move on to what he can do to help them win- grousing about his contract incessantly is the sign of someone who can’t move on- not good.

When you can’t get by the contract or never played serious team sports it’s easy to dismiss him as GARBAGE

You should have seen the Scott Gomez days in MTL, would you argue those fans weren't justified to expect more? I think in any sport in any city if you sign or have a big contract, there will be expectations.

Backes is older now and it's not really possible to for him to play like a 6 mill player, you're right, lets take what we can get.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
You should have seen the Scott Gomez days in MTL, would you argue those fans weren't justified to expect more? I think in any sport in any city if you sign or have a big contract, there will be expectations.

Backes is older now and it's not really possible to for him to play like a 6 mill player, you're right, lets take what we can get.
Did we seriously just compare Scott Gomez to Backes?

I get people dislike the contract, but that's a stretch and a half. Gomez was complete utter trash.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Did we seriously just compare Scott Gomez to Backes?

I get people dislike the contract, but that's a stretch and a half. Gomez was complete utter trash.

shows you really don't watch bc gomez had 59 points and 38 points his 1st 2 seasons in Montreal. Also had 14 points in 19 playoff games his 1st year. His 3rd year was horrible but he was finished as a productive NHL player at that point. Wasn't really comparing the 2 players rather pointing out both had expectations. I don't have anything against Backes, I liked him as a St Louis Blue player, I do think the Bruins payed him for his decline years just like Montreal was paying for Gomez

Gomez 1st 2 seasons 97 points regular season 18 playoff points
Backes 1st 2 season 71 points regular season 7 playoff points

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Off ICE

ON ICE

Why did Lucic and Backes clean up with ENG because many D were scared **** less of Lucic in a one on one puck battle and Backes is fearless and smart plus will go through them.

So much for so little. I personally couldn't care less if he stays or goes,I don't think he'd be missed,except by the sentimental bunch. I admit I felt the same way about Recchi the Savior!

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
shows you really don't watch bc gomez had 59 points and 38 points his 1st 2 seasons in Montreal. Also had 14 points in 19 playoff games his 1st year. His 3rd year was horrible but he was finished as a productive NHL player at that point. Wasn't really comparing the 2 players rather pointing out both had expectations. I don't have anything against Backes, I liked him as a St Louis Blue player, I do think the Bruins payed him for his decline years just like Montreal was paying for Gomez

With the injuries he had the last season, I am amazed about the amount of games he had played. Guy was never at 100 percent at any point. He isnt the same player he used to be but I am not ready to call him finished nor I am not able to see what kind of warrior he is. Agressive beast and a role model for the youngsters. He will have a great season on the checking line if his health can keep up.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
With the injuries he had the last season, I am amazed about the amount of games he had played. Guy was never at 100 percent at any point. He isnt the same player he used to be but I am not ready to call him finished nor I am not able to see what kind of warrior he is. Agressive beast and a role model for the youngsters. He will have a great season on the checking line if his health can keep up.

Coming back so soon after having a chunk of his colon removed was amazing. The guy has no quit in him.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Coming back so soon after having a chunk of his colon removed was amazing. The guy has no quit in him.

Totally agree especially for someone his age. surgery takes its toll.
It's a good probability that his colon problems have been going on prior to last year and last year reached a level that required surgery. He'll come back strong this year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Get past the money

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

Gomez was making 7.36 mill when the salary cap was under 60 million. He was 11th highest paid player in the league his least year as a hab(as far back as i could find) when he scored 2 goals in 38 games. Backes is tied with 21 other players as the 71st highest paid player in the league next season. His contract and Backes' aren't really comparable.

Using only players who played at least half the season. Backes last season had the 31st highest PPG for RWs in the league. Gomez had the 68th highest PPG for centers in his 2nd year. he was outside the top 100 by his 3rd. Backes would have to fall off hard to be comparable to Gomez.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gomez was making 7.36 mill when the salary cap was under 60 million. He was 11th highest paid player in the league his least year as a hab(as far back as i could find) when he scored 2 goals in 38 games. Backes is tied with 21 other players as the 71st highest paid player in the league next season. His contract and Backes' aren't really comparable.

Using only players who played at least half the season. Backes last season had the 31st highest PPG for RWs in the league. Gomez had the 68th highest PPG for centers in his 2nd year. he was outside the top 100 by his 3rd. Backes would have to fall off hard to be comparable to Gomez.
Bad news- you wrecked his weekend

Good news- it wasn’t next weekends long one

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Backes is going to be on NHL Network in a few minutes if anyone is interested :D

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
So he said he's down about 10 pounds, around the 210 mark. Wants to be first on the puck instead of chasing it.

They asked where he sees himself in 6-7 years and he said he wants to go to law school. I did not see that coming :laugh:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

Off ICE

ON ICE

do you think backes can center the 3rd line? has anyone found out the mystery behind backes
and wanting to/not wanting to/not capable of playing center?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
do you think backes can center the 3rd line? has anyone found out the mystery behind backes
and wanting to/not wanting to/not capable of playing center?
I just think Cassidy and Company see his value more at wing where they happen to be a little on the light side.

I want him at center. I think a lot of folks would agree. But Cassidy and I are often at odds and I see this as likely another example where we see things differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad