Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Congrats to Backes for being named a player of the week. So well deserved. He's really becoming the player we wanted him to be. His production and solid play has really helped this team.

He's been scoring on a 28-goal-season pace. Who expected that? I don't expect that to continue, but if he ends up scoring on a 20-25/season pace, gotta be pretty happy with that, considering what he's come back from.

Reactions: caz16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Honored by NHL, David Backes says 'touch has maybe found me again'

“Like I’ve said before, concentrate on the process and the results will end up being there. I think that’s been kind of the M.O. for the line I play on and the power plays: Do the right things all the time and eventually pucks are going to find you. It’s going to give you the opportunity and you’ve got to capitalize. I was able to do that on a couple of them."

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think i starting proposing backes to boston proposals at least 10 years ago and no one was happier than i was when we signed him. I was busy all last year defending the signing and comparing him to guys like knuble who remain effective until their late mid 30s if they dont rely on big bone crushing checks to be effective

But i got to admit his season last year had me concerned that this might be dave scarchard 2.0 which was another hero of mine we signed to a longterm contract and became a comeplete whitewash

So today... im happy. This was the backes i predicted we would be getting from day 1. My hero is fitting in here very nice. He is the positive influence on the kids that his fans said he would be. His 2 way play is fitting into the team as his fans predicted it would

The jury is still out what the last couple years will look like, but i think its safe to say now last season was a fluke and quite likely influenced by health. Backes was born to wear black and gold. I might even like to see him get a second chance with bergeron and marchand now that he is healthy but wherever he plays in the lineup im glad hes on our side now

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
gotta really eat crow when it comes to this guy. before the diverticulitis revelation I was really down on this guy. To date he was putting up worse numbers than a younger Lucic for the same money & I was hating that we were "stuck" with him for several more years.

Now, to know what he went through and see how quickly he came back and how good he has been...it's a revelation. I'm truly a fan of the guy now. Hope he continues to have success in Boston and hope to see him raise a cup here. I'm now a believer.

Reactions: ballofhate13

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I am glad Backes is performing. I was never down on the guy like some, I mean not a fan at all of the contract, but always a fan of the player.

I like to believe he still has the ability to turn it up that extra gear come playoff time.

Reactions: bryson21 and Silva

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I was just happy to see him playing again and putting his diverticulitis issues behind him. I didn't expect him to come back so soon and to be playing so well.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think i starting proposing backes to boston proposals at least 10 years ago and no one was happier than i was when we signed him. I was busy all last year defending the signing and comparing him to guys like knuble who remain effective until their late mid 30s if they dont rely on big bone crushing checks to be effective

But i got to admit his season last year had me concerned that this might be dave scarchard 2.0 which was another hero of mine we signed to a longterm contract and became a comeplete whitewash

So today... im happy. This was the backes i predicted we would be getting from day 1. My hero is fitting in here very nice. He is the positive influence on the kids that his fans said he would be. His 2 way play is fitting into the team as his fans predicted it would

The jury is still out what the last couple years will look like, but i think its safe to say now last season was a fluke and quite likely influenced by health. Backes was born to wear black and gold. I might even like to see him get a second chance with bergeron and marchand now that he is healthy but wherever he plays in the lineup im glad hes on our side now

First time I’ve ever seen Scatchard and hero in the same sentence.

Then again, I thought the Marty Lapointe signing was going to be massive for the Bruins.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Nash and Heinen being red hot has definitely helped. Backes not playing center isn't really an issue since Nash is Bergeron level at faceoffs and scoring. Really good line right now.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Apologies in advance for the gross, but this is unbelievable:
It was after he had hosted a few of the Bruins rookies, a good night, a fun night, and then there he was, back in the bathroom, back in the hospital, with the results from a contrast CT scan that showed not just another case of diverticulitis but also an abscess in the wall of his intestine that needed to be drained.
"They had to stick the drain through my glute into my intestines to get that," Backes said. "I had two coming out of my glute with a bag I had to empty with drainage of not fun stuff happening for a week, and that was uncomfortable."

Uhhhhhh..... Yeah. Uncomfortable.
:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :amazed::amazed::amazed:
If he doesn't win the Masterton, I will be very disappointed.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Apologies in advance for the gross, but this is unbelievable:
It was after he had hosted a few of the Bruins rookies, a good night, a fun night, and then there he was, back in the bathroom, back in the hospital, with the results from a contrast CT scan that showed not just another case of diverticulitis but also an abscess in the wall of his intestine that needed to be drained.
"They had to stick the drain through my glute into my intestines to get that," Backes said. "I had two coming out of my glute with a bag I had to empty with drainage of not fun stuff happening for a week, and that was uncomfortable."

Uhhhhhh..... Yeah. Uncomfortable.
:eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :amazed::amazed::amazed:
If he doesn't win the Masterton, I will be very disappointed.

Wow !!!!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I'm still not sure how he came back from all of that so soon, and not only that but is playing great hockey. He'd get paid whether he came back later rather than sooner. He chose to come back sooner and help the team at a time in which they needed help. That's leadership at a top level. I've always liked the guy's game a great deal, but thought he had lost something near the end of his time with the Blues. He seems to have recaptured some of what he had at his peak. Who knows if the contract is a good one or not. One thing is for certain -- Backes is a tough mofo who is leading/teaching the youngsters by example. Maximum respect to him.

Reactions: PB37

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
And his poor wife, eight months pregnant at that time, they already have one young daughter, she knows he's a pro athlete who will push himself. Glad she told him to think about the family first. You go, Mrs. Backes!!!

If I had disposable income right now I'd be tempted to get a Backes jersey, and to be honest I never thought I would have ever said that.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Told ya guys you would like him. Never count him out, this guy has a lot of pride. A successful hockey team needs a player like this on their team and Backes is a pro at his craft as there aren't many guys in this league that do it as good as him. Blues miss him big time but they won't admit it. Hope Bruins make it to the Cup.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Told ya guys you would like him. Never count him out, this guy has a lot of pride. A successful hockey team needs a player like this on their team and Backes is a pro at his craft as there aren't many guys in this league that do it as good as him. Blues miss him big time but they won't admit it. Hope Bruins make it to the Cup.

Always liked his game watching him on the Blues, and have found him to be a better person since coming to Boston. You can tell that the only thing he cares about is winning hockey games, a very similar mindset to the rest of our leadership core in Bergeron and Chara and has fit in well with the team. His effect on our younger talent in the form of Heinen, McAvoy and even guys like Sean Kuraly has been noticeable and is probably playing his best hockey in Boston on the 3rd line.

It's interesting to see though that late in games and in defensive situations, Cassidy throws Heinen-Krejci-Backes out to close out the game late in the third period.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I recently heard someone say that the Bruins record with David Backes in the lineup this season is outstanding. I decided to check for myself, and it's true.

The Bruins have only lost twice in regulation with Backes in the lineup. Overall they are 18-2-7 with Backes. That extrapolates to 130 points in the standings over an 82 game season!

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I recently heard someone say that the Bruins record with David Backes in the lineup this season is outstanding. I decided to check for myself, and it's true.

The Bruins have only lost twice in regulation with Backes in the lineup. Overall they are 18-2-7 with Backes. That extrapolates to 130 points in the standings over an 82 game season!
19-2-7

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Not same player type, but Backes reminds me of how one Mark Recchi fit on this team......

Reactions: trenton1

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ive said it before but I will indulge myself and say it again. I wanted this guy on the team for years. when he was signed I passionately defended why hes a good gamble to stay effective until the end of the contract. even during his struggles last year I refused to turn against him cause I just felt he would redeam himself

but last year was a struggle and I do understand why there was doubt

now that he is doing what I predicted from the start... I just really think this is a poster child situation to show the value of 2-way play/grit and character/experience

far too often fans look at a birthday and say this guy is too slow for todays nhl... blah blah blah

you got to look at each player and understand what they do or don't do to get their success. backes will play strong competitive hockey but his success doesn't come from playing like a bull in a china shop. hes just smart with good enough skill to take advantage of his opportunities and he plays hard consistent battle hockey

he makes a 3rd line play like a 2nd line. I'm so glad for backes that he has managed to get himself healthy. a winner like this never deserved the scorn some were showing him. he was born to be a bruin. I want everyone to become as happy that hes here, that I am happy. his offense may or may not continue at this same pace but his overall game will. backes is the key to giving us 3 lines we can play against anyone and succeed. depth like this will make us cup contenders.

I'm happy

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
ive said it before but I will indulge myself and say it again. I wanted this guy on the team for years. when he was signed I passionately defended why hes a good gamble to stay effective until the end of the contract. even during his struggles last year I refused to turn against him cause I just felt he would redeam himself

but last year was a struggle and I do understand why there was doubt

now that he is doing what I predicted from the start... I just really think this is a poster child situation to show the value of 2-way play/grit and character/experience

far too often fans look at a birthday and say this guy is too slow for todays nhl... blah blah blah

you got to look at each player and understand what they do or don't do to get their success. backes will play strong competitive hockey but his success doesn't come from playing like a bull in a china shop. hes just smart with good enough skill to take advantage of his opportunities and he plays hard consistent battle hockey

he makes a 3rd line play like a 2nd line. I'm so glad for backes that he has managed to get himself healthy. a winner like this never deserved the scorn some were showing him. he was born to be a bruin. I want everyone to become as happy that hes here, that I am happy. his offense may or may not continue at this same pace but his overall game will. backes is the key to giving us 3 lines we can play against anyone and succeed. depth like this will make us cup contenders.

I'm happy

Well said.

What he lacks in speed, he makes up for with a lot of other assets, most importantly his smarts. You don't get nominated for a Selke without being a very sound positional player. Much like Bergeron, he's rarely out of position and reads the play well.

Reactions: trenton1

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Lapointe was known for his welcoming of Bergeron into his household....lol
I hated that wasted money on Lapointe for his on-ice performance but we will never know just how much this helped Bergeron in the near term and the long term. When asked in interviews, Bergeron has always heaped praise on Lapointe and his family for inviting him in, showing him the professional life off ice, and leadership qualities. I thought it overblown at the time but they did not have anyone do that with their other big name teenagers, Seguin and Hamilton, and they are both gone. Where have the rookies been staying the last couple years? I haven't read any articles on this.

I did read that while Celtics teenage rookie Jayson Tatum lives in his own apartment, his mother moved to Boston with him and lives in the same building but a couple floors down. That's a great support system for a teenager to have: full independence with home cooked meals and laundry service just a couple flights of stairs away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad