Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
do you think backes can center the 3rd line? has anyone found out the mystery behind backes
and wanting to/not wanting to/not capable of playing center?
No idea

Ideally

A. JFK is ready
B. Backes can play well as center
C. Heinen/Backes combo

We will find out in 3 weeks what they think

My guess is they like Backes at RW as on ice coach and a guy who can take faceoffs and get contested pucks out

I’m coaching and none of kids ready I might try this

Donato-Heinen-Backes

Backes would be quasi center anyways

It would be one high hockey IQ line

Heinen can play center per Glorydaze and it wouldn’t even be a classic center basket as Backes can take faceoffs and tie up his counterpart while the quick Heinen can pick up defensive coverage

JFK, Frederic, Studnicka would be perfect but if not I’m going with this hybrid split up responsibility plan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Backes drops weight to keep up with new NHL

This is good to hear. Looking forward to see a leaner and healthier Backes this year.

Impressed. At least he is trying hard to improve his mobility/quickness on the ice

Hopefully Krug and Krejci have done the same this offseason. Because if they haven't improved in the mobility department, this team is going nowhere in the playoffs

Going back to Backes, I'm more comfortable now of him staying on the 3rd line. Who knows maybe he will be starting 3C

Last edited:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Honestly he wasn't bad last year all things considered. I say this as someone who looks forward to manliness and testosterone being outlawed in hockey. His injury history and contract are pretty spooky though. He's at an age where he might just suddenly drive off the cliff in terms of hockey playing ability.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
I think the better bet is him playing 20 games

I'll take that. I would even give you 5:1 and that wouldn't be enough. The guy lost part of his colon and had his leg sliced open and played 57. Lowest of his career not counting the lockout year.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I've not been the biggest Backes fan since his arrival but hope he has a tremendous bounce back healthy season. He can go a long way to making the 3rd line a success which translates into more wins for the B's. Lets see what happens.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I mean, he may not hit 20 goals, but I would not doubt him clipping 12-15 and maybe reaching 30-35 points. Backes was hit with so much in terms of physical abuse last year - what he did with what little time he had on ice, was not bad at all.

You can't coach toughness and perseverance. You either have it or you don't. Just another reason I'll miss McQuaid...But Backes will be fine. I'm sure of that.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
His goal scoring has trended downwards since the 2013-2014 season and he's a year older. Somehow he's going to buck the trend and increase his point production/goal scoring? I'd be surprised if he scores 15.

It's dropped some, but its not like it's fallen off a cliff.

SeasonGPGG/GP
2013-1474270.36
2014-1580260.33
2015-1679210.27
2016-1774170.23
2017-1857140.25
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The sweet spot to net 20 goals over 82 games is around a 0.24 G/GP. Outside of his first year in Boston, he's been over that G/GP mark. Like I said, I think he could net 20 goals if he can stay healthy this season.

Reactions: hrdpuk

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
yeah I have a real good feeling about Backes this year. I think he's gonna thrive playing with the kids on the 3rd line and continue to be a powerplay asset.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Well Riley Nash got all sorts of credit and netted 15 at 3C with a ton of playing time, even at 1C for a while when Bergy was out.
So if Backes pops 20 at 3C people should be very impressed.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think Backes has played well (when healthy). With injuries and looking at “games played” we need to take into account the adjustment phase (shaking off rust).

If Backes can stay healthy he’ll be an important cog to this Bruins team. I’m expecting a strong year from Heinen, and I’m thinking Backes will be playing on his line. Those two together can surprise some doubters this coming season.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Frederic is getting his wish in China and playing on a line with Backes. I hope he learns a lot and who knows maybe they will have chemistry and be the 3rd line, sure would add size to the lineup. Those 2 will try that little extra harder for each other I think. One to mentor and show he still has it. The other to make sure to do what is needed.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Backes will do fine this year. There no telling how long he may have been playing under stress from colon problems. He's no teenager at his age age it takes longer to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad