Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yes and I can't see him changing his style of game at this point either. I know for a pro athlete the idea of hanging it up is always scary but ending up a brain damaged wreck should be scarier.

it sure is, I see him being a guy who would definitely find a place in the game once his career is over. He`s intelligent, well spoken and would likely be a valuable guy to have in an organization. I guess we`ll see

Reactions: BMC

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I really can't see Backes on the Bruins beyond this coming year. I see more struggles for him going forward. The game has passed him by and he will be further exposed. He'll likely be bought out to make room for re-uping Carlo and Mac.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
this talk about backes retiring could be a problem for boston... his contract is very front loaded

he got 8 mill in years 1 and 2

6 mill this year

and then will get a 3 mill signing bonus next year

if backes had to retire next year for some reason... like he didnt feel appreciated by the fans and just didnt want to play through the injuries... he would only be leaving 5 mill on the table... but we would have some serious cap penalties to deal with

i think we should be careful about trying to run this guy out of town.

he is due to earn only 4 mill cash in his last 2 seasons each... and his ntc gets easier. if boston retains even 2 mill... the new team will only owe 2 mill.

he will be very tradable at that price and our cap penalty will be easier on us to deal with

but... why not hope he gets healthy and we want to keep him?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I really can't see Backes on the Bruins beyond this coming year. I see more struggles for him going forward. The game has passed him by and he will be further exposed. He'll likely be bought out to make room for re-uping Carlo and Mac.

buyout will be very tricky... theres a cap recaprure penalty and theres 4 mill in signing bonus over his last 2 years.

i seriously doubt a buyout will make sense.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Would you leave 24 million on the table? I can't see him retiring, I am and have always been a fan and in the right situation here I can still see him contributing. He will need faster linemates but simplifying his game, just going to the net, looking for tips and rebounds, and being a physical presence with say Donato at LW and Hienen at C he would still be useful. They wont be in a bad cap position until next offseason, make a decision about his long term future then.

his payouts were 8 mill year 1... 8 mill year 2... 6 mill this year

then 4 mill each of next 2 seasons... 3 mill signing bonus in year 4 and 1 mill signing in year 5

so after this season hes owed just 5 mill after he gets that signing bonus in 2019

i think retiring and walking away from 5 mill for 2019-2020 and 2020-2021 would have to cross his mind after hes already collected 25 mill for first 3 seasons

with his concusion issues... im not sure i could blame him

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
this talk about backes retiring could be a problem for boston... his contract is very front loaded

he got 8 mill in years 1 and 2

6 mill this year

and then will get a 3 mill signing bonus next year

if backes had to retire next year for some reason... like he didnt feel appreciated by the fans and just didnt want to play through the injuries... he would only be leaving 5 mill on the table... but we would have some serious cap penalties to deal with

i think we should be careful about trying to run this guy out of town.

he is due to earn only 4 mill cash in his last 2 seasons each... and his ntc gets easier. if boston retains even 2 mill... the new team will only owe 2 mill.

he will be very tradable at that price and our cap penalty will be easier on us to deal with

but... why not hope he gets healthy and we want to keep him?

David Backes' contract is not subject to the Cap Advantage Recapture Penalty if he is to retire.

His buyout however, could be ugly. Would save only a couple million for two of the three years and is basically no savings at all for the season after next. And that's without factoring in his roster replacement.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah on a message board. Not the Bruins.

The structure of his deal makes a buyout useless until the final season anyways.

Backes comes back almost a year removed from his surgery and hopefully fully recovered from his concussions. He gets a shot at the 3rd line and if that doesn’t work or he gets outplayed, you put him on the 4th line ala Callahan in TB.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Backes comes back almost a year removed from his surgery and hopefully fully recovered from his concussions. He gets a shot at the 3rd line and if that doesn’t work or he gets outplayed, you put him on the 4th line ala Callahan in TB.

Not worried. 3/4 of us wouldn't have been able to type at a message board for month after colon surgery, never mind play NHL hockey.

He's a competitor, he will come back in hockey shape and ready to go.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

I'm wondering whether he'll ever sniff the third line again if Bjork and Donato become regulars next season (which I assume they will). Boston's top three lines could be:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Donato-TBD-Bjork

Backes has been a RW since signing in Boston, so I don't see him suddenly becoming the third-line center. Besides, he'd be way too slow for Donato and Bjork.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm wondering whether he'll ever sniff the third line again if Bjork and Donato become regulars next season (which I assume they will). Boston's top three lines could be:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Donato-TBD-Bjork

Backes has been a RW since signing in Boston, so I don't see him suddenly becoming the third-line center. Besides, he'd be way too slow for Donato and Bjork.

I think he’s too slow to play C in the opinion of the Boston coaching staff based on where they have put him the last two years.

I could see him as the 3rd line RW, if either Donato or Heinen proved they could center the 3rd line:

63-37-10
74-46-88
43/17-17/43-42

Reactions: Estlin

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

A 4th line role for Backes would be okay if necessary- he could still work the PK and 2nd unit PP and it becomes a bit less than a real 4th liner, and he can moved up if an in game situation calls for it. It might be the best we can hope for with him at this point if his skating doesn't improve.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Retirement is totally up to him and his family.

If he decides to play I'm all for seeing what he can do with a season where he doesn't get a foot of his intestine removed.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
David Backes' contract is not subject to the Cap Advantage Recapture Penalty if he is to retire.

His buyout however, could be ugly. Would save only a couple million for two of the three years and is basically no savings at all for the season after next. And that's without factoring in his roster replacement.
I think for this reason, it's unlikely you see a buyout for Backes. It just doesn't give the Bruins much if any at all of an advantage. Especially when you have to factor in a replacement. I think the only real possibility of a buyout is for the last year. I'd wager the Bruins will roster David Backes for this entire year.

False Start

May 8, 2018
A 4th line role for Backes would be okay if necessary- he could still work the PK and 2nd unit PP and it becomes a bit less than a real 4th liner, and he can moved up if an in game situation calls for it. It might be the best we can hope for with him at this point if his skating doesn't improve.

Guy didn't get PK time even when he wasn't a 4th liner.

11 seconds per game on the PK.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Guy didn't get PK time even when he wasn't a 4th liner.

11 seconds per game on the PK.

I know, which I thought was strange, but if we let Schaller go, who did 2nd unit PK, Backes could take that. The guy was a former Selke candidate! I never understood his lack of use on the PK.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Coaches treat PK like rocket science sometimes. Reilly Smith never played it here, but went to FLA and played it fantastically. We have in house guys who can learn to do it.

Arguably one of the easiest things to teach in all of hockey. And pretty much every single NHL player has been a regular PKer at some level of their hockey career.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Arguably one of the easiest things to teach in all of hockey. And pretty much every single NHL player has been a regular PKer at some level of their hockey career.
Especially as a forward.

Which makes it weird to me that Backes has not been used that way- his speed isn't that big of a detriment there, he has a big body, can muck and grind in the corners and on the wall. It seems like a natural thing to me. It would certainly help to increase his value to the team with that contract if he's going to be a 4 liner.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think for this reason, it's unlikely you see a buyout for Backes. It just doesn't give the Bruins much if any at all of an advantage. Especially when you have to factor in a replacement. I think the only real possibility of a buyout is for the last year. I'd wager the Bruins will roster David Backes for this entire year.
I'm sure a buyout isn't under any consideration. You can guarantee the Bruins appreciate what he brings even if some of the fans don't.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I must be missing something in the Backes suckage.

I Power watched game 4 and Backes was one of the best players on the ice

Where can I get the stats for this - he had two great scoring chances bunch of good hits, breakups

Seems more to me a bunch of people interested in hockey rooting for a guy to fail

I’m worried about some of you guys slipping in hockey knowledge and I would hate to see this place openly laughed at by Vegas and Florida based fans

Reactions: b in vancouver

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I must be missing something in the Backes suckage.

I Power watched game 4 and Backes was one of the best players on the ice

Where can I get the stats for this - he had two great scoring chances bunch of good hits, breakups

I’m worried about some of you guys slipping in hockey knowledge and I would hate to see this place openly laughed at by Vegas and Florida based fans
Florida has fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad