Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
My geography isn’t great - isn’t Tampa in Florida? Or Is It Georgia ? It’s in the South regardless
BruinsSignTampaFan2.jpg

Reactions: DKH and BMC

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Which makes it weird to me that Backes has not been used that way- his speed isn't that big of a detriment there, he has a big body, can muck and grind in the corners and on the wall. It seems like a natural thing to me. It would certainly help to increase his value to the team with that contract if he's going to be a 4 liner.

He was also the top PK forward in each of the previous three seasons with St. Louis. I've complained a lot about his usage since signing here. Not making use of the strengths that made him one of the more effective match up centers in the Western Conference. I don't know how much game he has left unfortunately. I think he could be better utilized though.

I've always hated the concept of specialty 4th line players who kill penalties. Heinen and Bjork are a couple guys I would also like to see transitioned into that role, especially with Donato and DeBrusk likely taking on more PP special team minutes.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I must be missing something in the Backes suckage.

I Power watched game 4 and Backes was one of the best players on the ice

Where can I get the stats for this - he had two great scoring chances bunch of good hits, breakups

Seems more to me a bunch of people interested in hockey rooting for a guy to fail

I’m worried about some of you guys slipping in hockey knowledge and I would hate to see this place openly laughed at by Vegas and Florida based fans

People hate his age & contract and thus want him gone for the Unknown Replacement Player X that is sure to be so much better :sarcasm: :rolleyes:

I want him back if he decides he's healthy enough (w/r/t concussions) to play. IMO he is still a valuable player for the Bruins. FWIW.

We shouldn't blame the player for signing the contract he was offered.

Last edited:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
People hate his age & contract and thus want him gone for the unknown Replacement Player X that is sure to be so much better :sarcasm: :rolleyes:

I want him back if he decides he's healthy enough (w/r/t concussions) to play. IMO he is still a valuable player for the Bruins. FWIW.

Wasn't it Jon Koncak, famously overpaid backup center for the Atlanta Hawks that said, when criticized about his contract, "what was I going to do? Not sign it?" :laugh: The terms is now not looking so good for Backes- he is definitely not the player he was in St. Louis, even right up to free agency. He's a valuable guy, a player I've always liked, and has something to offer the team in whatever role he is suited to do.

Reactions: DKH and BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
At least the Backes talk gives Krejci a peaceful summer as he gets ready for likely his final 1200 days as a Bruins

2007 seems like yesterday

15 years in one place will be quite an accomplishment

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
At least the Backes talk gives Krejci a peaceful summer as he gets ready for likely his final 1200 days as a Bruins

2007 seems like yesterday

15 years in one place will be quite an accomplishment

:laugh: It's HF, Backes talk will get old fast and then it will be time to start in on Krejci again. :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Wasn't it Jon Koncak, famously overpaid backup center for the Atlanta Hawks that said, when criticized about his contract, "what was I going to do? Not sign it?" :laugh: The terms is now not looking so good for Backes- he is definitely not the player he was in St. Louis, even right up to free agency. He's a valuable guy, a player I've always liked, and has something to offer the team in whatever role he is suited to do.

Unless he can improve his skating....drop him to the 4th line
The NHL has sped up considerably since he signed the deal.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I probably have 15 Bruins games on my DVR and I noticed Backes and Bergeron not surprisingly take the best angle towards a defender - Reilly Nash is very good as well. Acciari for younger players is excellent.

Maybe age and experience have

Bodes well for a healthy Backes if he can avoid the injuries that plagued him since he arrived

Reactions: Bluesguru

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Unless he can improve his skating....drop him to the 4th line
The NHL has sped up considerably since he signed the deal.

The thing is that the NHL was trending towards speed and skill BEFORE he signed that deal. Neely and Sweeney even said the year prior that they wanted the team to be speedier and play uptempo...then they go and sign David Backes, a fine player but not someone who fit that mold. Truly bewildering how they convinced themselves that was a good idea.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The thing is that the NHL was trending towards speed and skill BEFORE he signed that deal. Neely and Sweeney even said the year prior that they wanted the team to be speedier and play uptempo...then they go and sign David Backes, a fine player but not someone who fit that mold. Truly bewildering how they convinced themselves that was a good idea.

they got greedy and wanted to keep Bruins physical identity in tact (replace Lucic)

they 1st tried to do this with Rinaldo....we all remember how that turned out. A physical player with zero discipline. No leadership.

Sweeney seems like he tried to make it all better by signing Backes

Reactions: maxl7

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
:laugh: Yeah, they make more combined than Patrice and Marchy. Wow. Thanks for posting- it's behind the paywall, though :( I am guessing the skills coach is Kim Brandvold?

Oh yeah :laugh: oops

It's actually Chara's coach

Yet independent skills coach Adam Nicholas believes Backes and Krejci have speed to unlock in the areas they need it the most. Zdeno Chara, one of Nicholas’ clients, is proof.
Chara got faster because he specified where he wanted his speed to increase. Backes and Krejci work with trainers in the offseason, but they are not believed to be doing this kind of work. If they chose to focus on it, they could become quicker and faster in the very ways Chara has.
“You can’t go back and think, ‘I’m going to do edge drills, bungee work on the ice, and be faster.’ That’s not how it works,” Nicholas said. “You really have to identify what speed you’re looking to capture.”

Reactions: hoss75 and Dr Hook

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
People hate his age & contract and thus want him gone for the unknown Replacement Player X that is sure to be so much better :sarcasm: :rolleyes:

Well said. I feel Backes is getting way too much unfair heat. Why this guy isn't appreciated for what he does is beyond me. Only 6 players in NHL last year averaged over .5 pts per game and over 2 plus hits per game. And that list includes, David Backes, Dustin Brown, Evander Kane, Micheal Ferland, Pat Maroon and Patric Horqvist. And Backes was ahead of them all in hits per game.

You make a good point when it comes to replacing him. It's darn near impossible.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Backes has a lean and hungry look for the upcoming NHL season - The Boston Globe

His head clear, his weight down, David Backes is eager for training camp to open in a couple of weeks, with his eye set on increasing his playing time and expanding his profile in the Bruins’ offense.

Losing 10 pounds has a way of liberating even a 12-year NHL veteran, one with 858 career games under his now-tightened belt.

“It’s a little different feel, and it takes some getting used to,” said Backes, who has slimmed down to roughly 210 pounds, a playing weight he hasn’t maintained since turning pro out of college in 2005.

“I’m a little leaner because the game is faster and I am trying to keep up with a lot of kids. Now it’s get on the ice, keep up, and be productive and be a good member of our team.”

“Not that my style is going to change a ton,” he said, “but if I am able to get to spots quicker . . .

“I’ve played with a 220-pound frame for 8-10 years in the league, and now it’s going to be a little lighter and a little leaner.

“It’s my attempt to adapt to what changes have gone on in the league. It might just swing back the other way and be a heavier, harder league. But it’s certainly more skillful and quick, and that’s just the realization I had to make.”

Reactions: Bluesguru

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
David Backes has a lean and hungry look for the upcoming NHL season - The Boston Globe

His head clear, his weight down, David Backes is eager for training camp to open in a couple of weeks, with his eye set on increasing his playing time and expanding his profile in the Bruins’ offense.

Losing 10 pounds has a way of liberating even a 12-year NHL veteran, one with 858 career games under his now-tightened belt.

“It’s a little different feel, and it takes some getting used to,” said Backes, who has slimmed down to roughly 210 pounds, a playing weight he hasn’t maintained since turning pro out of college in 2005.

“I’m a little leaner because the game is faster and I am trying to keep up with a lot of kids. Now it’s get on the ice, keep up, and be productive and be a good member of our team.”

“Not that my style is going to change a ton,” he said, “but if I am able to get to spots quicker . . .

“I’ve played with a 220-pound frame for 8-10 years in the league, and now it’s going to be a little lighter and a little leaner.

“It’s my attempt to adapt to what changes have gone on in the league. It might just swing back the other way and be a heavier, harder league. But it’s certainly more skillful and quick, and that’s just the realization I had to make.”

Perfect. This is what we all wanted. Rooting for him

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016

Sounds like a guy who is healthy and motivated to show people he can still play at a high level.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I liked this part at the end too

Count David Backes among the Bruins intrigued to be shipping off early next month for a two-city tour (Shenzhen and Beijing) in China for a pair of exhibition games against the Flames. “I know some guys are less excited about it,” he said, “but you can put me on the chart as being excited about it.” Culture, food, and history top the list for Backes’s interests on the trip. “The other side of the world,” he noted. “I’m looking forward to experiencing how they do life, what they have around, and just being immersed in their culture. I don’t think there’s a better way than a guided trip that has been vetted and put together by a top-notch organization and then do it with 20 or so of your best friends.” A good trip for a guy who reengineered his diet around fish and plants. “Yeah, I think they provide all of that over there,” he added, “so I’m in.”

Best friends :)

I hope he has a good season. Last year had to be miserable for him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
they got greedy and wanted to keep Bruins physical identity in tact (replace Lucic)

they 1st tried to do this with Rinaldo....we all remember how that turned out. A physical player with zero discipline. No leadership.

Sweeney seems like he tried to make it all better by signing Backes
I don’t see that st all.

I know I have it and sounds like you do as well the ability to connect/sense with what’s going to happen

Sweeney may not

Not everyone has chosen to be enlightened but Donny Consciousness is still doing a good job. Also there was some balance on the positive side to the signing of Backes

My intuition which comes from the infinite intelligence we all possess within tells me Backes soft scull that a poster refers to has hardened- and he will perform well and healthy

Om

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad