Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm sure she's right. No question. But it shouldn't cause us to gloss over that the main concern even the day we signed him was that the speed of the league was passing him by, so the concern isn't a recent development that might be explained away by health or injury.

Isn’t his production/60 pretty much where it was - even through the health and injury setbacks?

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
But Backes will now take 5 games to play 60 mins instead of 4. In 5 games against Tampa he played 53 minutes.
He was playing 15 min a night before he got injured in game three (6 min of ice time that game) and knocked out of game 5 (again 6 min of ice time).

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think he should lose some weight to get a little lighter. After coming back from his intestinal issue, he was faster.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He was playing 15 min a night before he got injured in game three (6 min of ice time that game) and knocked out of game 5 (again 6 min of ice time).
It's hard to say,after Tampa adjusted and cranked up the speed,players like him can become liabilities. You say he was dinged,I say he was both dinged and exploited.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Kuraly-Acciari-Backes. Wouldn’t be opposed to that being our opening night 4th line.

If we are stuck with Backes, which unless he retires or Sweeney gets creative with a trade, we are.... he has to play on the 4th line. Painful to pay a guy 6 mil to play 4th line and maybe 2nd unit PP, but that's all he should be given at this point unless he is able to drastically improve his skating.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If we are stuck with Backes, which unless he retires or Sweeney gets creative with a trade, we are.... he has to play on the 4th line. Painful to pay a guy 6 mil to play 4th line and maybe 2nd unit PP, but that's all he should be given at this point unless he is able to drastically improve his skating.
I'm hoping that, for the sake of his health, and not getting further concussed, he will consider an early retirement.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Isn’t his production/60 pretty much where it was - even through the health and injury setbacks?

Yeah.

Hes too slow and the game has changed from his kind of player and makes a ton and is the first guy I'd move BUT hes still a good player. He'll get 30 points in 70 games flipping between the third and fourth lines next year. Playoffs IDK he never has been good in them but he'll have a nice year since we don't expect shit from the guy and won't play him at center.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I think for next season we can afford having him play 4th line minutes. Plus he’s a guy who can step up in a pinch to other lines in case of injury. What Callahan is for Tampa is what I think Backes could be for us. Maybe better. He gives that line a still very useful offensive and defensive player. Keep his minutes down which could be good for him come later in the year. He’s not getting bought out and he’s not getting traded unless we take a bad contract back. This I think is the best way to maximize him.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Sunday Hockey Notes: David Backes and the balance of weighing concussion history against a career - The Boston Globe

Backes, now 34, believes he can still contribute upward of 40 points a season, and his boss, general manager Don Sweeney, feels 50 points is within reach for the strapping ex-Blues captain. Mind you, the latter is a level Backes last touched in 2014-15 when he was 30, faster, and logging steady, heavy minutes with the Bluenote on his chest.

There is also the chance that Backes’s final shift last Sunday in Tampa will be logged in the books as his last in the NHL.

“Never great to have a brain injury,” a laconic Backes noted Wednesday, as he cleaned out his locker at the club’s practice facility in Brighton.

Due to his concussion history, Backes has become somewhat of an expert in self-diagnosis. The ominous, familiar basket of symptoms was dropped off at his cerebrum’s doorstep on contact.

As he packed his bags Wednesday, thankful for a summer of rest and recovery, Backes was asked if he was worried about his history and the risk of CTE.

“Uh, yeah, all those conversations, thoughts, go through your brain,” he said. “You’ve got little kids, you’ve got a wife, you’ve got a lot of life to live after you play this game . . . but we will follow what’s known, the research . . . take time, rest, get symptom-free, umm . . . and get back out there and play the same hard game, you know, try to protect myself, try to avoid these.”

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I do hope Backes is really thoughtful about continuing. His contract aside, team things, hockey etc., should all be secondary to his continuing ability to be present and functional for his family and for himself. He can try to protect himself, but with the style of game he plays, it just isn't possible to avoid the dangerous moments.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I do hope Backes is really thoughtful about continuing. His contract aside, team things, hockey etc., should all be secondary to his continuing ability to be present and functional for his family and for himself. He can try to protect himself, but with the style of game he plays, it just isn't possible to avoid the dangerous moments.

Yes and I can't see him changing his style of game at this point either. I know for a pro athlete the idea of hanging it up is always scary but ending up a brain damaged wreck should be scarier.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes still a good player we'd be more than happy to pay him 3-4 mil to play as our 3rd line RW.

But this is a guy who has to hit and mix it up to be on the ice in the NHL. I'd think the risk of playing is higher for him than a more finesse player.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think for next season we can afford having him play 4th line minutes. Plus he’s a guy who can step up in a pinch to other lines in case of injury. What Callahan is for Tampa is what I think Backes could be for us. Maybe better. He gives that line a still very useful offensive and defensive player. Keep his minutes down which could be good for him come later in the year. He’s not getting bought out and he’s not getting traded unless we take a bad contract back. This I think is the best way to maximize him.

I think you're right. He can't be traded because of $, age, etc. This is probably the best way to get the most out of what he still brings.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Would you leave 24 million on the table? I can't see him retiring, I am and have always been a fan and in the right situation here I can still see him contributing. He will need faster linemates but simplifying his game, just going to the net, looking for tips and rebounds, and being a physical presence with say Donato at LW and Hienen at C he would still be useful. They wont be in a bad cap position until next offseason, make a decision about his long term future then.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Would you leave 24 million on the table? I can't see him retiring, I am and have always been a fan and in the right situation here I can still see him contributing. He will need faster linemates but simplifying his game, just going to the net, looking for tips and rebounds, and being a physical presence with say Donato at LW and Hienen at C he would still be useful. They wont be in a bad cap position until next offseason, make a decision about his long term future then.

It's a lot of money no doubt, but money is not that enjoyable if your brain is a puddle. I like Backes, and I liked the signing and I think he still has something to offer the team on and off the ice. At the same time, I hope he isn't sacrificing his long-term health for a game and more money (he has made a massive pile already). I just feel a bit more strongly about it than most, I guess, because of work I've done with veterans and TBI's. It's so very sad to see men no older, and many younger, than Backes unable to enjoy a normal life doing things we all take for granted. Even someone that recovers, like Marc Savard, had a long, long road to some sort of normalcy. It's his call and I'll b glad to see him back on the ice if he's back, which he most probably will be, but I know I will cringe every time he takes a head shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad