Player Discussion David Backes III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I'm with Lou, third line center, hes a former Selke finalist and good at faceoffs

Faceoff dot, yeah, but I do wonder whether he has the wheels to play a good defensive game at center anymore, which is why I think he was used primarily on the wing this season. Bergeron can do it because he still has enough speed to keep up with the play. If Backes is asked to track players from high to low and get back quickly on D, can he do it? Not saying it can't happen, but he looks a bit slow for the role to me. Maybe a good rehabbing off-season and skating work would change things?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Faceoff dot, yeah, but I do wonder whether he has the wheels to play a good defensive game at center anymore, which is why I think he was used primarily on the wing this season. Bergeron can do it because he still has enough speed to keep up with the play. If Backes is asked to track players from high to low and get back quickly on D, can he do it? Not saying it can't happen, but he looks a bit slow for the role to me. Maybe a good rehabbing off-season and skating work would change things?

you are definitely right

DB needs to workout with whoever trained Miller last off season

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'd like to give him a shot at center next year. Year one was tough coming to a new team and year two he was constantly sick/hurt. He came back a month early from his colon surgery. I'm going to take an optimistic view on him.
I posted about him playing 3C with Heinen and Bjork as well, if only to prevent the Bruins from having to overpay someone for that role, wether it's Riley Nash or otherwise.

I don't think JFK or Frederic are ready yet.

I think having two skill guys on his wings would be beneficial to him.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's a tough situation. He was bad in the playoffs, but overall I like what he brings to the table in terms of physicality, reliability and he can chip in offensively too. Problem is that I only like that in a bottom 6 role. When you're paying him $6 million and playing him as a 4th line winger, which is the least valuable position on the entire roster... Yikes.

Regardless, he's going nowhere at the moment with that NMC. Interesting that his NTC kicks in at the same time as Krejci's does. Bruins may have a couple options going into next offseason.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Can somebody say why Miller didn't get a penalty for that head shot? Or maybe even a suspension? (Instead, no PP and then he ends up scoring the winning goal.)

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Can somebody say why Miller didn't get a penalty for that head shot? Or maybe even a suspension? (Instead, no PP and then he ends up scoring the winning goal.)

Honestly, I didn't have a problem with the hit in real time yesterday.

I've gone back and watched it again before responding to this and I still don't. Backes was leaning forward a bit, and picks his head up at the last second. But Miller hit's his chest/shoulder area first before his shoulder, or maybe even the side of his helmet, catches Backes chin. It was unfortunate that Backes got injured, but there was no malice there. Backes had just dumped the puck too, so it wasn't interference.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I posted about him playing 3C with Heinen and Bjork as well, if only to prevent the Bruins from having to overpay someone for that role, wether it's Riley Nash or otherwise.

I don't think JFK or Frederic are ready yet.

I think having two skill guys on his wings would be beneficial to him.

My thinking as well on everything you said. Brilliant minds and all that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

My thinking as well on everything you said. Brilliant minds and all that.

I hope the Bruins and Backes have a good discussion about his role next year, and discuss having him back as the 3rd line C. It sure makes the line-up for next year fit together better.

Perhaps indicate to him that's what they would like to do, and he needs to do his part this summer to lean out even more and improve his skating. Zdeno Chara at 40+ continues to work on his skating in the off-season and it's kept him effective as the league has gotten faster. Backes should be able to do the same.

Him as a 3rd line RW is just terrible value for the type of money he's being paid. He's a former Selke nominee as a C for heaven sakes. If he can improve his skating I see no reason why he can't play C moving forward into next year.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't see Backes fitting as 3C at all given his speed at this point. I haven't loved him as 3rd line RW either for the same reason, but I feel like responsibility is less and it allows him to be more physical on the wall, so it would seem to be a better fit, IMO. Obviously with his salary it makes sense to try him there seeing you are paying him as much as some star 2c's, but in reality I don't think he's up to it.

The other concern I have is that I think these playoffs exposed a worn-down Krejci (yet again). And we've seen where Bergeron is now prone to getting dinged up too, not surprisingly given his play and his age. Is it really prudent to go an offseason without getting a bona fide top 9 center and instead relying on a guy who hasn't been up to the task to date, is concussion prone, and is actually older than the two centers above him who also have their own worries? That doesn't sound like prudent strategic planning to me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see Backes fitting as 3C at all given his speed at this point. I haven't loved him as 3rd line RW either for the same reason, but I feel like responsibility is less and it allows him to be more physical on the wall, so it would seem to be a better fit, IMO. Obviously with his salary it makes sense to try him there seeing you are paying him as much as some star 2c's, but in reality I don't think he's up to it.

The other concern I have is that I think these playoffs exposed a worn-down Krejci (yet again). And we've seen where Bergeron is now prone to getting dinged up too, not surprisingly given his play and his age. Is it really prudent to go an offseason without getting a bona fide top 9 center and instead relying on a guy who hasn't been up to the task to date, is concussion prone, and is actually older than the two centers above him who also have their own worries? That doesn't sound like prudent strategic planning to me.

His speed isn't the issue but it's his first step that to me is the problem. Once he's going he can move, but takes him too long to get there.

But I think it's mitigated playing down low in the middle than on the wing the way the game is played now.

He must of set a record this post-season for taking the puck from his own blue-line along the right-side wall to the red line and dumping the puck in. His first step was so poor that by the time he got to the red line, back-checking pressure was all over him and he had no other play to make. Just killed his lines offense and wasted multiple zone break-outs with these constant dump-ins that typically resulted in loss of puck possession.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
His speed isn't the issue but it's his first step that to me is the problem. Once he's going he can move, but takes him too long to get there.

But I think it's mitigated playing down low in the middle than on the wing the way the game is played now.

He must of set a record this post-season for taking the puck from his own blue-line along the right-side wall to the red line and dumping the puck in. His first step was so poor that by the time he got to the red line, back-checking pressure was all over him and he had no other play to make. Just killed his lines offense and wasted multiple zone break-outs with these constant dump-ins that typically resulted in loss of puck possession.

Big? Slow? Physical? Barely gets the red and dumps it in? ....Sounds like a defenceman to me!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Backes is still a beast down low. If he can do some skating work like Miller and Chara did last summer to get a bit quicker off the mark, maybe improve his lateral agility somewhat, he could do center again. He needs that quickness to defend as a center too. He's actually a pretty good passer of the puck. It has to be something the team considers because unless he decides to retire, he isn't going anywhere. I think he's less tradeable than Krejci and the buyout hit is too steep just now.

I didn't like that much on the wing like @BruinDust says- if he didn't dump it in, he shot it straight at the goalie- I think he scored once all season trying that.

Reactions: BMC

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
my wife is a nurse, and laughs at me when I get on Backes. She watches the games minimally but he stuck out due to his health issues and tells me I have no idea what he actually had to undergo and how it affects you, never mind an NHL hockey player in season.
I'm sure she's right. No question. But it shouldn't cause us to gloss over that the main concern even the day we signed him was that the speed of the league was passing him by, so the concern isn't a recent development that might be explained away by health or injury.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

However we want to dissect it, overall progress down the ice is too slow. And while you might be right that that's less of an issue defensively if he's supporting the dmen down low, it also means he's not part of the offense as much through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone. Either way, why would this be something we WANT from our 3rd line center?

I guess I'm just saying...yes, maybe he's less of a problem playing center than wing, but if we want to be a Cup contender, shouldn't we aim higher? We need a center who can push David Krejci and help Krejci/Bergeron draw better matchups, not a center who gets pushed by the 4th line center for ice time. Backes just isn't good enough to be that guy, so why force it? Unless, and this may be the case, we are conceding that we are stuck with him, he has to play, we don't have the ability to get a good 3C in the market, we don't have a better 3C in the system, so screw it. If that's where we are at, then sure, go for it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm sure she's right. No question. But it shouldn't cause us to gloss over that the main concern even the day we signed him was that the speed of the league was passing him by, so the concern isn't a recent development that might be explained away by health or injury.

No definitely not. I'm just hoping, but he hasn't looked good most of the time unfortunately,.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
No definitely not. I'm just hoping, but he hasn't looked good most of the time unfortunately,.
Its funny...I hated the signing and still do. That said, I knew I'd like attributes of the player and find him easy to root for. Moreover, I actually feel like there were stretches this year where he was almost a $5-$6M player. Almost. I don't think we will ever see more than brief stretches again, but if we do get them over the next two years it won't be a complete catastrophe. The problem is that that's a low bar to set, and his money is enough that we now can't look to fill a big need when the team is so close to really contending.

Net-net: I really like the player, and I really dislike the GM for signing him to that contract.

False Start

May 8, 2018

It's funny because Heinen has the exact opposite problem. He's pretty agile but his straight line speed is brutal. Worse than even Backes'.

He's still effective on the forecheck and was better during the regular season where there was more room for him. He's also really good with deflections and rebound goals. But I agree, he needs to improve his foot speed just a tad to maintain being a 3rd line forward. Otherwise he's a 6 mil 4th liner which isn't the worst thing ever but far from the best.

Reactions: BruinDust

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Its funny...I hated the signing and still do. That said, I knew I'd like attributes of the player and find him easy to root for. Moreover, I actually feel like there were stretches this year where he was almost a $5-$6M player. Almost. I don't think we will ever see more than brief stretches again, but if we do get them over the next two years it won't be a complete catastrophe. The problem is that that's a low bar to set, and his money is enough that we now can't look to fill a big need when the team is so close to really contending.

Net-net: I really like the player, and I really dislike the GM for signing him to that contract.

This is really what it comes down to. I think, as a Bruins fan, it's near impossible to dislike him based on the way he plays the game, the attitude he brings, and the leadership he provides. Even when he's not contributing offensively, he's a great two-way player and he delivers more big hits than anyone on the team. For the past 1.5 years the team has played with so much more urgency and passion. I think bringing in Backes was a big part of that and shouldn't be understated. If he played at a ~20 goal ~50 point pace, you grin and bear the ~2m he's overpaid by because he's worth it in terms of team culture and leadership...

But he's slow, always has been and the game is getting quicker. It's not going to improve as he gets older. He's had quite a few pretty bad injuries just in the past 2 years alone. I think he can still be a productive player for another year or two, but I see some huge potential for another huge disaster with 1-2 years left on his deal, especially if he gets another concussion. He's a great ambassador for the game and does a lot of charity work, he definitely has a future in the sport after he's done playing. Really love the guy as a person and player, but his contract is really just a huge wall right in front of him. For now I just hope the hit wasn't as bad as it looked and he's just shaken up a bit. I really don't mind overpaying for players like Backes because I know he always gives it his all, but we're talking some pretty severe overpayment.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Otherwise he's a 6 mil 4th liner which isn't the worst thing ever but far from the best.

In a cap era, it's pretty bad. If Krejci continues to decline, and Backes is nothing more than a 4th line grinder, there is 13.5 mill tied up in those two next year. Having one guy like that is survivable, two is a problem. Would you rather have those two or Crosby, McDavid, Draisatl, Tavares, Overhckin etc.? Your mileage on those individual players may vary but that is enough salary in Backes and Krejci to have a top 5 player in the league + a 3/4 line grinder that isn't a complete waste of space. We all note that Tavares is coming up to FA status. You'd have to think Boston would be a consideration for him given that we are contending team with upside, but we can probably wave that option goodbye because we have this salary committed. Anyway, it is what it is, but I say all that in hopes that Backes gets his form back, improves his foot speed, and brings it as a monster 3rd line center and netfront powerplay presence.

Reactions: Estlin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's funny because Heinen has the exact opposite problem. He's pretty agile but his straight line speed is brutal. Worse than even Backes'.

He's still effective on the forecheck and was better during the regular season where there was more room for him. He's also really good with deflections and rebound goals. But I agree, he needs to improve his foot speed just a tad to maintain being a 3rd line forward. Otherwise he's a 6 mil 4th liner which isn't the worst thing ever but far from the best.

It is, Heinen is a strange skater. The mechanics are sound but his strides are so slow. I said before this season that Heinen plays like he's always on medium speed. And at times he still does.

He's so smart position-wise that he makes up for his lack of pace. But when the pace increased in the playoffs, I found his didn't adjust in kind, and was a major reason why he was not very effective.

Reactions: NoregreB

False Start

May 8, 2018
It is, Heinen is a strange skater. The mechanics are sound but his strides are so slow. I said before this season that Heinen plays like he's always on medium speed. And at times he still does.

He's so smart position-wise that he makes up for his lack of pace. But when the pace increased in the playoffs, I found his didn't adjust in kind, and was a major reason why he was not very effective.

It's literally the only thing holding him back. If he was a notch faster he would be a 60 70 pt player. Just too smart with good hands, good passing, and a underused wrister.

Hopefully he can fix it. It just killed me when he had that breakaway chance in the Toronto series walking in from the blue line and somehow the defenseman caught him from behind.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad