Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
David Backes has been diagnosed with diverticulitis and has been undergoing treatment at MGH by Team Internist, Doctor David Finn. Backes will be re-evaluated in approximately two weeks but is expected to be out for at least three to four weeks.

Awful news about Backes.

This illness is no joke. Not sure how many UFC fans are here, but it’s the same illness that Brock Lesnar came down with during his first run in UFC and he wasn’t the same when he returned from his 2nd bout with the illness.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Awful news about Backes.

This illness is no joke. Not sure how many UFC fans are here, but it’s the same illness that Brock Lesnar came down with during his first run in UFC and he wasn’t the same when he returned from his 2nd bout with the illness.

I remember that. Brock wasn't the same.

Good luck to David and his recovery. What horrible news for him and his family.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I will be shocked if he comes back in 3 weeks. That is typically not something you can come back from so soon.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I will be shocked if he comes back in 3 weeks. That is typically not something you can come back from so soon.

I agree if he’s even back in the next 4 weeks I’ll be surprised. Probably mid-November at the earliest.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah. Real bad news for Backes. My expectations for Backes this season are now real low.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
That's horrible news. I really hope it doesn't affect David's career like it affected Lesnar's...

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Depends how severe it is. Have they said? Does he need surgery or just rest and recovery. Dave is super tough and is big on character. As soon as he's remotely close to ready, he will be back. Hope he comes back and has a big year.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Diverticulitis comes in all sorts of different levels of severity, so it's not necessarily time to panic. Left ignored, and in its most severe form, you get that Brock Lesnar situation where you can get a perforated gut, need to have a temporary ostomy (Google images for the brave), and have to have a portion of your intestine removed. It absolutely can be life-threatening, so I don't minimize it at all.

But more commonly, in an uncomplicated case of diverticulitis, you get some diarrhea, some pain, and that's about it. Antibiotics and a clear liquid diet will fix it up, but it does take time to heal. The danger, if any, is in recurrence, and that one of those recurrences will be the more severe type. With younger people like Backes, you simply have more time in your life for it to recur - the "typical" case diverticulitis is someone in their 60s or 70s, not in their 30s like Backes. It's possible that if it comes back a certain number of times, he'll have to have a prophylactic (preventative) removal of a small part of his intestine.

I just hope he didn't ignore it - I'm sure hockey players are, by the nature of their job, used to ignoring pain. Sooner is better.

He'll likely go for a colonoscopy in a month - you generally can't do a colonoscopy on a "hot" colon, because, again, perforation is possible. And I'm sure that Backes' colon wouldn't take to being hit right now. They may reduce that time to 2-3 weeks if they feel a CT is able to demonstrate that the infection has cooled down.

I know this because I've had two bouts of diverticulitis, and I'm 40...but I still have all my intestine, and never been hospitalized for it. For me, the only side effect is that CVS is constantly spitting out coupons for medications for colonoscopy prep whenever I scan my card.

Reactions: Alicat and DKH

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
yeah Brock Lesnar's case if I remember correctly was so bad because he left it untreated for a long time (and tried to train with it). If they are saying 3-4 weeks for Backes they probably caught it early and think he'll be fine.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
yeah Brock Lesnar's case if I remember correctly was so bad because he left it untreated for a long time (and tried to train with it). If they are saying 3-4 weeks for Backes they probably caught it early and think he'll be fine.

It was misdiagnosed originally with Lesnar, it got so bad he almost died. Once the diagnosis was correct he was able to start working out again and properly recover, I believe in his case it lead to surgery. Hopefully Backes recovers quickly, he is needed in the top 9 and is one of my favorite players off ice for his and his wife's work with animals, especially dogs.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Awful news about Backes.

I had a buddy die from untreated diverticulitis. I recently was diagnosed with diverticulosis which is the pocket in the colon that when aggravated becomes diverticulitis.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Truly unfortunate, I know he gets hammered here but I`m one who felt this season after settling in for himself and his family, we were going to get a comfortable Backes and that would translate to the ice. Get well soon

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That sucks for Backes. Very painful and will take some time to truly recover from. He'll probably drop some weight.

Not in any way trying to be a smart *** but wondering if this doesn`t help him a bit as the season moves on, coming in a bit leaner? Man is it going to be difficult for him to "catch up" when he does return though

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Not in any way trying to be a smart *** but wondering if this doesn`t help him a bit as the season moves on, coming in a bit leaner? Man is it going to be difficult for him to "catch up" when he does return though

I think he already leaned out a bit prior to the season so I'm not sure further weight loss would be desirable, especially with something like this where you wouldn't be losing it in a controlled way. Hopefully they caught it early in a milder form.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I kind of doubt it....first, given that he'll likely have a few days on a bland, boring, "light" diet, he'll probably lose weight, but a significant amount of that will be water. Another good portion will be muscle...especially since he won't be working out 2, 3 hours a day. He's definitely one of our bigger boys, but it's not like he's Kessel, where losing a few pounds might give him a few extra options as to the kind of player he is. Being away from not only the ice but the gym is going to be tough - when you're injured, at least you can usually work around the injury. Since he's presumably not taking in nearly as many calories, he's in no condition to be expending them during an intense, NHL-type workout.

But there definitely is a silver lining. First, he's one of the older guys. Older guys get banged up more. Having an abbreviated 70-game regular season might help, especially if he can ramp it up by the playoff push and the playoffs themselves. Second, it gives a slot open to the younger guys for this month - not only that, but a slot on the bottom six, which is where they should go. Instead of 7 preseason games, Cassidy will get 10 or 12 more regular season games to evaluate the rookies and choose the best possible combos in actual game situations. And points are at a discount right now, not at a premium...this month, we've got 0 games against divisional opponents. (Yes, I know we play Buffalo once, but...c'mon.) Even if we lose, the points are half-price when compared to losing against the Habs, Leafs, or Sens. The situation is lousy, but at least the timing is good.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
He won't be bought out, his contract is fairly buyout proof. Now Beleskey on the other hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad