Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It's fine for people to be apprehensive about the deal. They should be apprehensive about pretty much any significant UFA signing

My problem is when the complaints against Backes aren't grounded in reality. Like when its suggested he's lost several steps when he's the same player as when he signed the deal, or that his contract is awful but then not actually knowing what his contract actually is. Or when Over the Volcano proves them wrong about his shifts and then that gets quietly skimmed through without a word

Base the criticism in reality. That's not that hard guys- he makes too much money BOOM THATS IT, YOU CAN END IT THERE AND ITS A PERFECT STATEMENT OF FACT. Not "uggggghhh think of this contract in year 6" or "he's not a 2 way player cuz he doesn't kill penalties the most on an elite pking team"

And it's telling tht in the time when he was playing well (the 10 games prior) it was completely silent. Gotta wait for the loss to let the rabid animals out

Side note: people seem to think 6 is still elite money....it's weird. Superstars aren't really capped at 7.5 anymore, this isn't 2007. Like I saw the argument that Marchand is elite and only makes 6 so why should Backes make that.....oh gee whiz it's almost like one guy was an UFA or something

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i was asked in the last thread... basically am i happy with backes?

my honest answer is i wish he gave us more. but on a larger scale ive been in these forums around 20 years now. i was young and full of emotion when i started. i cried when we lost. i screamed and shouted when the refs blew a call. if my hero won a fight or scored a goal i was on cloud 9 all week

i read every post made in those days. it bothered me so much how fans would band wagon jump.

i used to get in debates and id be told ONLY PLAYOFFS MATTER. it drove me crazy. i wanted my team to win every second. id post here we had more 500 seasons than anyone... we had more playoff appearances.

and i was told ONLY WINNING THE CUP IS GOOD ENOUGH.

now its 20 years later and even winning the cup wasnt enough for these fans... but in the meantime i change.

i get old... i get cynicle... so now do i care what happens in a game march 7th? do i remembet what happened march 7 2012? or march 7 2008?

i still cheer my heros when they do well but whether we win or lose a game on march 7 no longer controls my mood

backes was acquired to help us at playoff time. ultimately that is where he must be judged. like lucic... lucic might suck 75% of the time but if lucic was in beast mold for playoffs he was still our hero.

as fans of the bruins... we crap on our team if they finish first overall but lose in playoffs. this is true... this happened.

so if playoffs are the only thing that matters lets wait for playoffs to judge guys who are being paid for playoffs.

vets like krecji, backes, rask, even bergeron and chara are being paid for playoffs

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
i was asked in the last thread... basically am i happy with backes?

my honest answer is i wish he gave us more. but on a larger scale ive been in these forums around 20 years now. i was young and full of emotion when i started. i cried when we lost. i screamed and shouted when the refs blew a call. if my hero won a fight or scored a goal i was on cloud 9 all week

i read every post made in those days. it bothered me so much how fans would band wagon jump.

i used to get in debates and id be told ONLY PLAYOFFS MATTER. it drove me crazy. i wanted my team to win every second. id post here we had more 500 seasons than anyone... we had more playoff appearances.

and i was told ONLY WINNING THE CUP IS GOOD ENOUGH.

now its 20 years later and even winning the cup wasnt enough for these fans... but in the meantime i change.

i get old... i get cynicle... so now do i care what happens in a game march 7th? do i remembet what happened march 7 2012? or march 7 2008?

i still cheer my heros when they do well but whether we win or lose a game on march 7 no longer controls my mood

backes was acquired to help us at playoff time. ultimately that is where he must be judged. like lucic... lucic might suck 75% of the time but if lucic was in beast mold for playoffs he was still our hero.

as fans of the bruins... we crap on our team if they finish first overall but lose in playoffs. this is true... this happened.

so if playoffs are the only thing that matters lets wait for playoffs to judge guys who are being paid for playoffs.

vets like krecji, backes, rask, even bergeron and chara are being paid for playoffs

You want a shock? I identify with, and actually pretty much agree with, what you've written.

:wally:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
"vets like krecji, backes, rask, even bergeron and chara are being paid for playoffs"

We said that about a lot of players in the last 3 years and longer. I think way back to Lucic.

How have the playoffs been for you the last few years? Good?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
"vets like krecji, backes, rask, even bergeron and chara are being paid for playoffs"

We said that about a lot of players in the last 3 years and longer. I think way back to Lucic.

How have the playoffs been for you the last few years? Good?

flip a coin... one more win in 82 games we are in... tick tock... a bounce of a puck... an injury... a shootout goal.... tick tock flip the coin

reality is we cycled through our 5-6 year run at the top as vegas favorites. we had our 2 trips into the finals...our 4 first round victories

and now our depth is depleted. depth is where teams roll up impressive winning records. depth wins the cup.

i would argue backes is a depth add. once our kids backfill the holes in the lineup, backes is the type of guy you stick as the third member of a line and you feel he can help make it work,

are any of our players crosby or kane where we feel they can win a game by themselves? marchand has certainly been close to thar this year... but most our vets are guys who have to play a defense system to have success.

even when we win our cup, we are overtime game 7 first round. our team never blew away the competition. we worked hard for everything we got. Bergeron, thomas, chara and their team worked hard

and now i can point to several bad bounce of the puck 2 seasons. refs calling penalties... chara playing hurt... julien coaching...

i mean we miss playoffs by a single win and we pretend our team is crap? our guys our proven playoff winners and we want to crap on them for one single loss?

theres no promise of success even if we make playoffs... but in a league with a reverse draft and a hard cap and arbitration its to be expected teams will go up and down.

us, chicago, la were the success this decade... now how is la doing? what does the near future of chicago look like? what other team has a 10 year run you think is better than boston? pittsburgh? anaheim?

sorry... we have been very good. sadly we must be happy with this success

but will we be successful moving forward? its not easy to reload on the fly. maybe our future wont be great. backes was signed for playoffs though and thats where he will be judged.

if we continue to miss playoffs every single player will fall under critism. our fan base demands playoffs and backes is a playoff addition

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
flip a coin... one more win in 82 games we are in... tick tock... a bounce of a puck... an injury... a shootout goal.... tick tock flip the coin

reality is we cycled through our 5-6 year run at the top as vegas favorites. we had our 2 trips into the finals...our 4 first round victories

and now our depth is depleted. depth is where teams roll up impressive winning records. depth wins the cup.

i would argue backes is a depth add. once our kids backfill the holes in the lineup, backes is the type of guy you stick as the third member of a line and you feel he can help make it work,

are any of our players crosby or kane where we feel they can win a game by themselves? marchand has certainly been close to thar this year... but most our vets are guys who have to play a defense system to have success.

even when we win our cup, we are overtime game 7 first round. our team never blew away the competition. we worked hard for everything we got. Bergeron, thomas, chara and their team worked hard

and now i can point to several bad bounce of the puck 2 seasons. refs calling penalties... chara playing hurt... julien coaching...

i mean we miss playoffs by a single win and we pretend our team is crap? our guys our proven playoff winners and we want to crap on them for one single loss?

theres no promise of success even if we make playoffs... but in a league with a reverse draft and a hard cap and arbitration its to be expected teams will go up and down.

us, chicago, la were the success this decade... now how is la doing? what does the near future of chicago look like? what other team has a 10 year run you think is better than boston? pittsburgh? anaheim?

but will we be successful moving forward? its not easy to reload on the fly. maybe our future wont be great. backes was signed for playoffs though and thats where he will be judged.

if we continue to miss playoffs every single player will fall under critism. our fan base demands playoffs and backes is a playoff addition

That about says it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
While I'm grateful for the Cup I can't help but think of all the choked away opportunities. Four game 7 homes losses, the game 6 vs Chicago debacle, the 3-0, 3-0 Philly series. Losing to teams like Carolina, Washington and Montreal who had no business beating us.

I'm not going to be excited about all those round one wins that we were favorites to win by a mile.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

Thank god we spend 6m for 5 years on depth players destined for the 3rd line.

620c3b22ab2fa50849727b03eeaaf53a92cae398ea83e789e09258055d7d02a6.jpg

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
This is a Bergeron argument circa 2009ish.

But you know what? I'll take my chances overspending on a 23-24 year old every day + Sunday. Specially D's, C's and G's. I take issue when it happens in the part of the bell curve where bad things happen to beaten up bodies. Even resigning Loui I was fine with not doing. But then there was also no point in then replacing him with more old's. That was the part where headsplode. The logic on not keeping Lucic/Loui was X, so we do X. Ok.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
While I'm grateful for the Cup I can't help but think of all the choked away opportunities. Four game 7 homes losses, the game 6 vs Chicago debacle, the 3-0, 3-0 Philly series. Losing to teams like Carolina, Washington and Montreal who had no business beating us.

I'm not going to be excited about all those round one wins that we were favorites to win by a mile.

Good point. The Bruins have been well known to be choke artists. Way too many disappointing rounds in the playoffs or just missing the playoffs.
2011 is the only year one can say was a bit surprising the team went on to win the Cup.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Two extremely incomparable situations, it's stupid to even bring it up.

Nope - "Spending too much for a 3rd line center who can't be trusted to hold up physically" was a real popular argument against Bergeron's contract at that time.

I have zero problem with building the team from strength down the middle. They have all kinds of talent coming up through the system on the wings and those kids should be cheap enough to offset the "overpayment" people see in Bergron, Krejci, and Backes' deals.

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Nope - "Spending too much for a 3rd line center who can't be trusted to hold up physically" was a real popular argument against Bergeron's contract at that time.

Do you really not see a difference between a player not yet 25 and one well past 30? It's a totally different situation. I also think tossing aside Bergy after you draft and develop him and he becomes a fan fav, is pretty tough. And the hit was what, 4.75m? Probably 750k rich at the time? maybe?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Do you really not see a difference between a player not yet 25 and one well past 30? It's a totally different situation. I also think tossing aside Bergy after you draft and develop him and he becomes a fan fav, is pretty tough. And the hit was what, 4.75m? Probably 750k rich at the time? maybe?

Of course there is the age difference - but that's pretty much it. Both are/were super respected in the league and the cap hit is roughly the same considering the team limit has risen by probably 1/4 since then.

The philosophy then, is what it should be now IMO; you pay for center depth and build around it. The problem as I see it is that Backes has not been playing that third line center role because of various reasons, and so he's bounced around the line up a bit (too much?).

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

The arguments were similar, but the individual players have/had very different situations. Sorry, but your argument is lacking any sort of sophistication it cannot be taken serious by anyone

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
People are too funny on these boards. Backes hits and is a leader. Hes on pace for what he was on last year. Backes has been playing well with Bergeron and Marchand. Since Julien got canned hes on a pace that would have put him near 70 points.

Lets look at the real problem on here. Krejci has coasted this year and his defensive game has struggled greatly.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Stop looking at what a player wil ldo at age ** and start looking at what they are doing now. Look at Hossa. Still pots in 20 goals a year at age 38.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
People are too funny on these boards. Backes hits and is a leader. Hes on pace for what he was on last year. Backes has been playing well with Bergeron and Marchand. Since Julien got canned hes on a pace that would have put him near 70 points.

Lets look at the real problem on here. Krejci has coasted this year and his defensive game has struggled greatly.

No issue calling out Krejci, but this doesn't happen to be the Krejci thread. Also Backes played so well on the line that he was demoted from it? he's literally always a step behind the play. I'd argue his linemates pulled him up, and even then not enough to keep him from being booted from the line in crunch time.

As for those calling for signing depth at c, come on. you wanna spend 6m on your third C? That's a hair smarter than the 7+m up in the press box. meanwhile quader and Miller roster spots could be manned by much better nhl talent.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
so the spooner concussion moves him to C? I'll be the first to commend good play if he steps up and leads line 3 to results.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Stop looking at what a player wil ldo at age ** and start looking at what they are doing now. Look at Hossa. Still pots in 20 goals a year at age 38.

For every Hossa there are 300 who are out of the league by 33,never mind scoring 20. Plus Hossa peaked at 45 goals and now scores at 50-60% of that. By 32 he was settling in at about 65-70% of his peak. Translate that to Backes.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
:laugh:

Rich coming from the guy who says he's not a good 2 way player when he's had selke support forever and who was criticizing his contract without even knowing what it actually was

More likely- you'll go silent like you did last time. Just like everybody else *****ing about him right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->