Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Backes has really good hands in a way Lucic did but a bit dissimilar.

Lucic had a good shot and could stick handle well in space whereas Backes has a good shot but is a very good passer.

I been so busy watching Backes legs fall off from reading HF I forgot how good his hands were.

His hands separate him from the usual grinder and why I expect him to be good the length of that deal - his hand eye coordination as excellent.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I know I’ll get crap for this but Backes is a leader type guy. To me, Recchi like, in terms of showing young players the ropes. There’s real value to that — value that doesn’t always show in terms of stats and cap hit.

Marty Lapointe was a terrible contract. But he’s paying dividends still to this day. Veteran fans know exactly why (hint in next paragraph).

With so many young kids, having a bunch of Captains like Bergeron and Backes to augment Big Z is crucial to a very young team.

Plus, now he’s back from surgery he’s looking pretty damn good to me.

Reactions: PB37 and Dr Hook

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Backes has really good hands in a way Lucic did but a bit dissimilar.

Lucic had a good shot and could stick handle well in space whereas Backes has a good shot but is a very good passer.

I been so busy watching Backes legs fall off from reading HF I forgot how good his hands were.

His hands separate him from the usual grinder and why I expect him to be good the length of that deal - his hand eye coordination as excellent.
Looch was a good passer too. Unfortunately for us, 50% of those nice passes went to the other team!

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Backes since his early return from Diverticulitis and Colon surgery, now has 14 points in those 15 games, 2nd among forward in average hits per game.

Where are all those posters who kept claiming his contract was as bad or worse than Providence Bruin Matt Beleskey?

Reporting for duty.

He's answered the bell so far, for sure. Still don't like the length of his K, but he's playing his best hockey as a Bruin now. Hope they don't mess with Heinen-Nash-Backes now that 46 is back.

Reactions: DKH and BruinDust

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Well I am glad to be wrong about him, that the horrible surgery has actually helped him in playing at a lighter weight. This has changed everything for him, he now has that crucial extra step and in today's game that is everything. His hockey IQ has legs to carry it and his leadership was never in doubt. He is playing great and I am very happy things are working out. Heinen and Backes have a chemistry, they play a similar game and just know how to find each other. Sweeney continues to surprise me. Cannot compare him to Looch, Backes gives effort every shift, I watched Looch take games off a lot the last year here.

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Backes since his early return from Diverticulitis and Colon surgery, now has 14 points in those 15 games, 2nd among forward in average hits per game.

Where are all those posters who kept claiming his contract was as bad or worse than Providence Bruin Matt Beleskey?
In fairness to posters there were times last season he was slow and Beleskey-like late to the play

The lost weight has him hitting less but always in the right spot

They had legit concern glad he's doing well

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Reporting for duty.

He's answered the bell so far, for sure. Still don't like the length of his K, but he's playing his best hockey as a Bruin now. Hope they don't mess with Heinen-Nash-Backes now that 46 is back.

even his biggest supporters have to worry about the length of the contract... but luckily hes the type of guy that still adds value even when he cant play at a high level. luckily for us apologists who were still supporting him last year, he has finally become the player we were all saying he would be the first couple years of the contract. now if he keeps it up we all our winners and whatever happens at the end of the contract will have been worth it

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Really didn't like the idea of using him on the 3rd Line but he seems to be making a bigger impact there then anytime he ever played with Krejci.

Maybe playing less will keep him more productive throughout the year, and keeps him fresh for defensive situations.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
He's going to drive goalies nuts in the playoffs. Love how his line has been playing! Full 200' game and composed.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

No complaints from me. But mostly I care about how he pulled off his comeback. Don't get me wrong, the numbers are great and a welcome contribution. But the physical feats he pulled off this year are just inspiring. And I told him as much a few days ago to his face, and shook his hand.

Dude has made a real impression on me. My wife has colitis so his struggle hit pretty close to home. Of all the Bruins I could have gone up to shake hands with, he was the only one I did.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No complaints from me. But mostly I care about how he pulled off his comeback. Don't get me wrong, the numbers are great and a welcome contribution. But the physical feats he pulled off this year are just inspiring. And I told him as much a few days ago to his face, and shook his hand.

Dude has made a real impression on me. My wife has colitis so his struggle hit pretty close to home. Of all the Bruins I could have gone up to shake hands with, he was the only one I did.

That's awesome you got to shake his hand and tell him how impressive his return from what really is a very serious condition is. It's inspiring and just more reason I'm a big fan of David Backes and have been supportive of him becoming a Bruin from even before he signed here.

Most of us never met these guys, let alone get to know them, but Backes just strikes me as one of these guys I'd love to have as a teammate, co-worker, etc. A solid stand-up individual who you can trust and has your back no matter what. Even if his production tails off in years 4 and 5 of his deal, I still think he will be a valuable contributor to Bruins hockey.

Reactions: wintersej

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wasn`t as frustrated, worried or angry about the signing last year as some here were and I also didn`t think Backes was awful last year considering he was a lifelong Blues player who had solidified his roots who then had to pick himself and his family up and move them into a new city, new teammates, system, get his family settled.

What I don`t think anyone could have predicted is for this player to face what he`s had to face already this year, return and be as productive. I have no idea and maybe someone can answer it here but does he appear to be leaner out there and while not fast, quicker than he was prior to his diagnoses and surgery?

Chemistry is just weird, looking at that Nash, Heinen, Backes trio, I wouldn`t have thought they`d be the kind of line who`d produce much offensively, I certainly thought they`d be a line who`d make life miserable for opponents who were trying to produce but I didn`t forsee a trio who would threaten offensively themselves.

I don`t expect Backes to remain on this pace the rest of the year but he`s got to be this year`s Masterton winner and it sure sounds like, from all I read about him, he`s a well respected and and vocal leader in the room

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Thrilled he's been playing well. Was rooting for him even before the surgery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese