Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Sounds like he's slimming down, losing some mass and trying to get quicker.

That's a good move. As he is aging and losing quickness, dropping some weight will help compensate for some of that.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I still have little problem with Backes on this team. Sure I wish he scored more goals last year, and maybe got paid a little less, but IMO he's the type of player that contributes more than his stat line shows.

I know some can't get past the money/term, but sometimes you overpay for intangibles.

The salary is the salary.

The term will be an absolute killer.

I just hope it doesn't cost them the ability to re-sign one of their own.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Yup. Terrible term given age/playing style.

All the 20+ prospects need new deals before Backes' deal expires.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I expect Backes to be around 50 - 55 points this year barring injury.

15 years ago I moved my family from MA to FL after living in MA 40 years. It takes about a year to learn the new area community and how things work; schools, medical, and daily routines. Not to mention it does interrupt a training routine which also takes time to readjust.

Personally I liked the Backes signing, though maybe a year too long, but I believe a team can never have too many quality character guys that understand the game and can play. This is especially important when a team, like the Bruins, is developing and breaking in so many young prospects.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
We need more jerks like you and me in the HFL are you interested in coming back?

Thanks lou, not sure yet, think u need more dedicated management than me. Loved the draft though. Tried to go for a'll then top Russian players and other European countries my 1 year.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
We couldn't have found a better role model IMO. Yeah the term is long, but he's a class act who plays the right way. I think all the kids respect him but you gotta think the crop of Americans kids we've got are especially inspired by Backes. No doubt he's going to rub off on our prospects!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Thanks lou, not sure yet, think u need more dedicated management than me. Loved the draft though. Tried to go for a'll then top Russian players and other European countries my 1 year.

I'm looking for a partner.

Don't know the SIM stuff very well, but like the team managing part.

PM me interested.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I wasn`t/am not a massive fan of the term either however I don`t worry nearly as much as some about it TBH. in 19/20 he`ll have to submit a limited list of teams he`d move to then the following (last year of contract) it`ll expand to 15.

Now, who knows if those 8/15 teams want a guy on the back nine of his career but we`ve seen all kinds of contracts moved I never thought would, he** Savard, Horty, Clarkson are just some examples of teams that have taken on their contracts and they no longer could play

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I wasn`t/am not a massive fan of the term either however I don`t worry nearly as much as some about it TBH. in 19/20 he`ll have to submit a limited list of teams he`d move to then the following (last year of contract) it`ll expand to 15.

Now, who knows if those 8/15 teams want a guy on the back nine of his career but we`ve seen all kinds of contracts moved I never thought would, he** Savard, Horty, Clarkson are just some examples of teams that have taken on their contracts and they no longer could play

I always find it interesting when people talk about moving a contract and comparing it to players like this. The guys you mentioned are injured and will never play again and there is a key difference in moving those contracts as opposed to a healthy player with a "bad contract."

Generally, players like those you mentioned are moved for other reasons than the obvious cap implications, because, they can LTIR those players and exceed the cap by those dollars if they are willing to spend the dollars. But their dollars are paid by insurance anyway, so the teams aren't spending extra regardless.

I'll use Savard as an example. Articles like this http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-could-the-boston-bruins-trade-marc-savard are such a crock because, since Savard was paid by insurance, he did not "cash strap the Bruins." What was more likely is that with a new contract coming that summer to Torey Krug, they needed an insurance spot under the league insurance to insure his upcoming contract.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Was reading the most hated players thread on the main boards and Backes was giving Marchand a minor challenge?

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I would like Backes at center. Problem is who plays right wing?

We need at least someone with size and jam at that position....and someone to get in on the forecheck and cause mayhem.

Anybody think Acciari could play a bit of RW? Of course not 2nd line minutes.

Put Backes at center and trade Spooner for a tough SOB at right wing....now that's a plan! :)

Last edited:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I think he should play with Spooner. Take faceoffs, help in defensively and such.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I would like Backes at center. Problem is who plays right wing?

We need at least someone with size and jam at that position....and someone to get in on the forecheck and cause mayhem.

Anybody think Acciari could play a bit of RW? Of course not 2nd line minutes.

Put Backes at center and trade Spooner for a tough SOB at right wing....now that's a plan! :)

This was the mistake from the get go,letting a right wing walk and signing a center for nearly the same. 2 years later and we're still short that winger.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I always find it interesting when people talk about moving a contract and comparing it to players like this. The guys you mentioned are injured and will never play again and there is a key difference in moving those contracts as opposed to a healthy player with a "bad contract."

Generally, players like those you mentioned are moved for other reasons than the obvious cap implications, because, they can LTIR those players and exceed the cap by those dollars if they are willing to spend the dollars. But their dollars are paid by insurance anyway, so the teams aren't spending extra regardless.

I'll use Savard as an example. Articles like this http://www.thehockeynews.com/rumors/article/rumor-roundup-could-the-boston-bruins-trade-marc-savard are such a crock because, since Savard was paid by insurance, he did not "cash strap the Bruins." What was more likely is that with a new contract coming that summer to Torey Krug, they needed an insurance spot under the league insurance to insure his upcoming contract.

using ltir is a tricky proposition for teams close to the cap

use toronto for our example. their current cap hit is almost 80 mill... but they have horton and lupul on ltir

ltir as you know counts against the cap. toronto WILL USE EVERY SINGLE PENNY OF THEIR ALLOWED CAP

i wont worry if hortons deal is insured... toronto can afford to pay

where the problem arises is toronto has 3.7 overage bonus risk. this year toronto is already being punished 5.37 mill

this is real caproom that you lose in the future because you had ltir in the past

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think he should play with Spooner. Take faceoffs, help in defensively and such.

should take faceoffs, then as soon as the puck is heading into the opponents end, shift with Spoons to work the wall, once that puck comes back into the B`s zone, immediately switch back to C:laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
David Backes has been diagnosed with diverticulitis and has been undergoing treatment at MGH by Team Internist, Doctor David Finn. Backes will be re-evaluated in approximately two weeks but is expected to be out for at least three to four weeks.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
David Backes has been diagnosed with diverticulitis and has been undergoing treatment at MGH by Team Internist, Doctor David Finn. Backes will be re-evaluated in approximately two weeks but is expected to be out for at least three to four weeks.
That’s a tough hit - here’s to a quick recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad