Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
you would think so but that's what I came up with using the numbers although it is dark in mom's basement and I may have used wrong data by mistake

If he does that,he's a true alltime 1 percenter or less. I hope he does it.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I don't know why some of you guys think Backes is going to hit (or could, maybe) 60+ points next season. He didn't even get to 40, though he was close, this year. Granted, his game is alll rounded, so he has a lot more to offer than just his offensive stats.

I've said it in the spooner thread and I'll say it again right here. This man is your third line center. I know he bolsters the top 6 when he plays with Krejci, but this team really ought to consider balancing every line as best as they can. I don't think Spooner is the answer at center. Backes can at least give the team some time to sort out which young center in the AHL or elsewhere could be ready to take on that job sooner or later.

I would like to see Backes as the 3rd line center but didn't Cassidy say he prefers him on the wing . If that's the case you play him with Bergeron and Marchand . The Krejci - Backes experiment simply did not work and while I would prefer Pasta playing with Bergeron and Marchand , Krejci needs someone with him .

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
David Backes has something to prove in his second year as a Bruin

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-year-bruin/qaEmbuEvCqVWJtVCLTopDN/story.html

“I feel I’ve grown in a lot of different ways, having the challenges of change,†Backes said. “Different personnel, different area, different streets, and a way of life — everything that’s gone into change from St. Louis to here. Looking forward to having a year where I can just play hockey, come to a house that’s set up, just move my family and dogs and cats in, start living life, and really be able to focus on playing the game and helping our team win. That’s what I’m most optimistic aout.â€

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
David Backes has something to prove in his second year as a Bruin

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...-year-bruin/qaEmbuEvCqVWJtVCLTopDN/story.html

“I feel I’ve grown in a lot of different ways, having the challenges of change,†Backes said. “Different personnel, different area, different streets, and a way of life — everything that’s gone into change from St. Louis to here. Looking forward to having a year where I can just play hockey, come to a house that’s set up, just move my family and dogs and cats in, start living life, and really be able to focus on playing the game and helping our team win. That’s what I’m most optimistic about.â€

Seems like a stressful move to Boston for David. It's not like he moved to a foreign country lol

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How dare he be honest

I was checking bodog to see if I could wager over/under on some of the Bruins for the season but doesn't seem like they have it.

Backes would come in at probably 20 1/2 or thereabouts but the guy I want is Beleskey. If the goal total was set based on here I will make a killing

To bad Vegas doesn't seem to have player seasonal prop bets

As for Backes he prorated to 19 goals with Claude 'pray for 1-1 OT' Julien and the bursa sack surgery

His play took a bump after Cassidy came aboard

He gets 75 games I'm looking at 50+ points

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Nah.. But if the LA Kings sign me tonight I could be there by Monday ready to go

Are you married

Do you have an infant child

Did you have a home in that area

Were you as heavily involved as he was in the community including running 2 animal shelters

You seem like a nice guy and I'm sure you are but you probably would be more like the Hanson brothers throwing your toy cars in a gym bag and getting your parents to bring you to the airport and not leaving till you were safely on the plane

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Which means your LOL came outta your ass and you validate my point.

Thats my point kid.

He did sign July 1 2016 though. More than enough time to move to Boston and be ready for the season. If like to hear more about his play than how hard it is to move. Just my opinion on his statement. Sure we can make this about my life but that doesn't change his play lol

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
He did sign July 1 2016 though. More than enough to move to Boston and be ready for the season

Based upon your extensive experience in all that goes into moving a family? Wow, I must have been doing it all wrong the last 1/2 century. Teach on man. I still have at least one more move in me.

You must have super connections for all the pediatricians, medical records, school info, babysitters, real estate on both ends, car stuff, dentists, pack everything.

I missed it , how many kids you got? Different doctors for them? Pets? Legal stuff? Banking? Im open to tips you can give us family man to family man.

You make apples equal oranges is the point.

You can say it. Go on. You can.

'I really dont know what it entails to move a family or his family'.

Its ok

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Based upon your extensive experience in all that goes into moving a family? Wow, I must have been doing it all wrong the last 1/2 century. Teach on man. I still have at least one more move in me.

You must have super connections for all the pediatricians, medical records, school info, babysitters, real estate on both ends, car stuff, dentists, pack everything.

I missed it , how many kids you got? Different doctors for them? Pets? Legal stuff? Banking? Im open to tips you can give us family man to family man.

You make apples equal oranges is the point.

You can say it. Go on. You can.

'I really dont know what it entails to move a family or his family'.

Its ok

If I had Backes money id hire an agent to assist with accomadations? Anyway I was just poking fun. I'm a jerk

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
this dude was hurting throughout the bulk of the season. expect more of the guy we saw in the first month or so this season. gets close to 50pts imo. don't let pure analytics guys poison your brain as to his value to a team.

his blues teams didn't win because their d-core isn't and wasn't anywhere near as good as it appears to be. petro's been massively overrated since he was 16 years old.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
I think he'll do fine this year. 49 points with a decent defensive game. Far bigger concerns elsewhere on the roster.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Which means your LOL came outta your ass and you validate my point.

Thats my point kid.

Wally with the mic drop.

I can't imagine how hard this move was for he and his family.

Sounds like he re-designed his training regime and is ready to get going. Looking forward to seeing him prove people wrong this season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Seems like a stressful move to Boston for David. It's not like he moved to a foreign country lol

I`ll preface my response by saying I was hoping for a bit more production from Backes but that doesn`t mean I expected a 55-60 pt season, was hoping for a 20 goal- 25-30 assist kind of campaign. I "think" not looking at the stats he finished with 38 or thereabouts so he didn`t quite reach what I had hoped for him however....

....have you ever moved your young family after spending a decade in one city to a new city and tried to balance not just the professional side of things but the personal side of things as well???

I see a guy like Dom Moore adapt quickly but my guess is it`s because he`s become more than accustomed to switching teams every 2 years and knows what it`s like.

From all accounts, Backes and his wife were tireless in the St.Louis community with a commitment to their charity which raised awareness for animal rescue and rescue. My guess is they were nicely settled into a routine in a city where he played over 700 games.

It wasn`t/isn`t a shock that at times he appeared a bit hesitant/lost out there, new city, new teammates, new systems, coaching change, trying to get his family set up and bring balance to their lives. Not a shock he hit some speed bumps during the year but this fan never felt ripped off.

Some will say trades part of the game and I`m making excuses, your free to your opinion, as I stated, even looking at the external distractions I was expecting, I was hoping for a bit more production but not that much more than he produced, and I think we`ll see a bit of a bump in that this year but to dismiss his move as it appears you have as an excuse and not potentially a factor in his play at times isn`t fair IMO

Mrs Odaat and I have moved within the same city and it`s bloody stressful and were about to embark on a move by next July across the country and I`m going to guess, there will be major adjustments and stresses and were hardly playing a sport at an elite level

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I`ll preface my response by saying I was hoping for a bit more production from Backes but that doesn`t mean I expected a 55-60 pt season, was hoping for a 20 goal- 25-30 assist kind of campaign. I "think" not looking at the stats he finished with 38 or thereabouts so he didn`t quite reach what I had hoped for him however....

....have you ever moved your young family after spending a decade in one city to a new city and tried to balance not just the professional side of things but the personal side of things as well???

I see a guy like Dom Moore adapt quickly but my guess is it`s because he`s become more than accustomed to switching teams every 2 years and knows what it`s like.

From all accounts, Backes and his wife were tireless in the St.Louis community with a commitment to their charity which raised awareness for animal rescue and rescue. My guess is they were nicely settled into a routine in a city where he played over 700 games.

It wasn`t/isn`t a shock that at times he appeared a bit hesitant/lost out there, new city, new teammates, new systems, coaching change, trying to get his family set up and bring balance to their lives. Not a shock he hit some speed bumps during the year but this fan never felt ripped off.

Some will say trades part of the game and I`m making excuses, your free to your opinion, as I stated, even looking at the external distractions I was expecting, I was hoping for a bit more production but not that much more than he produced, and I think we`ll see a bit of a bump in that this year but to dismiss his move as it appears you have as an excuse and not potentially a factor in his play at times isn`t fair IMO

Mrs Odaat and I have moved within the same city and it`s bloody stressful and were about to embark on a move by next July across the country and I`m going to guess, there will be major adjustments and stresses and were hardly playing a sport at an elite level

I have no idea what the excuse will be this year.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Concussion and career low shooting percentage definitely hurt him. On the other hand, he's pretty old and didn't look amazing in the good old eye test either. Needs to have a bounce back year.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I still have little problem with Backes on this team. Sure I wish he scored more goals last year, and maybe got paid a little less, but IMO he's the type of player that contributes more than his stat line shows.

I know some can't get past the money/term, but sometimes you overpay for intangibles.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I still have little problem with Backes on this team. Sure I wish he scored more goals last year, and maybe got paid a little less, but IMO he's the type of player that contributes more than his stat line shows.

I know some can't get past the money/term, but sometimes you overpay for intangibles.

That's were I'm at with Backes, he's not the Bruins biggest issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad