Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Still think the only way this is salvageable is if he becomes a premiere #3 C. Back to being the guy who kills penalties, wins faceoffs, and chips in 20 goals. The fact that they've hardly even explored using him in the fashion that made him his name and money is still insane to me. Yeah, he's not the guy that he once was. He's 33. They just seem way too set on him being a power winger. I honestly don't know where it's coming from... the player... the coaching staff.. management? To me, Backes is the x-factor that can stabilize the bottom-6. Will he? I don't know. It's currently a hot steaming pile of ****.

Good post - I agree

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
for all the negative stuff we hear about his contract and foot speed, the guy has a great attitude. some of it is captain speak,
sure, but i like seeing him saying the right things. and with spooner out, i really don't want to see riley nash centering 3L.

I`ll guess Nash himself doesn`t like centering 3L:)

I would be willing to bet if we asked him, he`d admit freely his game is best suited for what we expect a 4th liner to bring. I`m more pleasantly surprised that we haven`t heard fans refer to him as being one of Cassidy`s "binkies" but my guess is Cassidy has not yeat reached the point of being criticized as harshly yet

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Foot speed way overrated. Like hockey is a frantic 60 minute helter skelter non-stop race. First of all, that isn't possible. And how are the Edmonton Oilers looking right now? Actually I agree with the other poster, Backes s/b inserted back at Center for the No. 3 line. Will strengthen the Bruins considerably and make use of their investment in Backes.

Speed is huge,watch the Leafs, or Tampa. As a center you need Speed/Pace, you can be positional as he is but without out the legs it is useless and he will be 34 this season. Centers need to react quickly to turnovers and getting to the puck = Foot Speed. Think Bergy, who is not fast but has quick short bursts to collect pucks. Speed as a center is covering the whole ice in a timely fashion, helping in the corners and keep skating, no coasting = Pace. Checking in your end is one thing but translating that into covering the other 150 feet of ice is another, unless we want him to be Kelly. A checking 3rd line center at that salary is an over payment. He does not have it in him to turn defense into offense at center anymore. He lived off Oshie and his incredible speed in St Louis and was younger.

He is best suited to be a lumbering winger, banging in the corner and creating turnovers. Basically what we expect out of Beleskey at 3.8 million. Backes needs to play like a forward version of Chara on the downside of the career and make the game simple, let the quicker guys do the footwork and puck handling. He can play on one side as a winger, go up and down the ice still. He hits and fore checks which is great but if that is it for the salary then so can Blidh and Kuraly and a lot cheaper too. He cannot play the power play, can he at least do the PK like Eriksson? He did not feel up to playing center last year, we know that. He has to be in the top 6 to be valuable. I say put him on Bergy's line to be used as a corner guy and net presence and let Bergy stay out of the hitting behind the net. Bergy does not need anymore injuries, just get the puck to those two and keep the other team thinking about being hit and force the turnovers to the 2 stars.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Speed is huge,watch the Leafs, or Tampa. As a center you need Speed/Pace, you can be positional as he is but without out the legs it is useless and he will be 34 this season. Centers need to react quickly to turnovers and getting to the puck = Foot Speed. Think Bergy, who is not fast but has quick short bursts to collect pucks. Speed as a center is covering the whole ice in a timely fashion, helping in the corners and keep skating, no coasting = Pace. Checking in your end is one thing but translating that into covering the other 150 feet of ice is another, unless we want him to be Kelly. A checking 3rd line center at that salary is an over payment. He does not have it in him to turn defense into offense at center anymore. He lived off Oshie and his incredible speed in St Louis and was younger.

He is best suited to be a lumbering winger, banging in the corner and creating turnovers. Basically what we expect out of Beleskey at 3.8 million. Backes needs to play like a forward version of Chara on the downside of the career and make the game simple, let the quicker guys do the footwork and puck handling. He can play on one side as a winger, go up and down the ice still. He hits and fore checks which is great but if that is it for the salary then so can Blidh and Kuraly and a lot cheaper too. He cannot play the power play, can he at least do the PK like Eriksson? He did not feel up to playing center last year, we know that. He has to be in the top 6 to be valuable. I say put him on Bergy's line to be used as a corner guy and net presence and let Bergy stay out of the hitting behind the net. Bergy does not need anymore injuries, just get the puck to those two and keep the other team thinking about being hit and force the turnovers to the 2 stars.

I`m a speed guy but right now, I`ll take a "lumbering winger banging in the corner creating turnovers" in place of what we`ve seen thus far for the most part

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I`m a speed guy but right now, I`ll take a "lumbering winger banging in the corner creating turnovers" in place of what we`ve seen thus far for the most part

As a winger yes and Bergy's is even better, Bjork is not ready for prime time. He has had a few close call hits. Let him play against weaker lines. I see too many here romanticising about Backes past performance and Bjorks maybe performance. Backes was a good player but he will be 34 this season and does not have the pace for center or it would already be his and Krech would have been traded. The team seems to have a thing for Nash playing center higher up the lines and Backes at wing. They (Neely) want him to be Lucic, I suspect. Why we signed a center instead of looking for Chara replacement is beyond me with that kind of money. Unless they were hedging their bets that one of the 2 top centers would be gone. Nothing wrong with a big winger, he needs to score, bang, mentor and do the PK for that 6 million to pay off. As Bergy's winger he can best help the team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
As a winger yes and Bergy's is even better, Bjork is not ready for prime time. He has had a few close call hits. Let him play against weaker lines. I see too many here romanticising about Backes past performance and Bjorks maybe performance. Backes was a good player but he will be 34 this season and does not have the pace for center or it would already be his and Krech would have been traded. The team seems to have a thing for Nash playing center higher up the lines and Backes at wing. They (Neely) want him to be Lucic, I suspect. Why we signed a center instead of looking for Chara replacement is beyond me with that kind of money. Unless they were hedging their bets that one of the 2 top centers would be gone. Nothing wrong with a big winger, he needs to score, bang, mentor and do the PK for that 6 million to pay off. As Bergy's winger he can best help the team.

Totally disagree about Bjork, will he make mistakes? Yep, will he looked a bit overwhelmed at times? Yep, so too has Jake but that doesn`t have me believing anything other than both are fine. Sorry, ludicrous claims that Neely wants Nash to be Lucic

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Totally disagree about Bjork, will he make mistakes? Yep, will he looked a bit overwhelmed at times? Yep, so too has Jake but that doesn`t have me believing anything other than both are fine. Sorry, ludicrous claims that Neely wants Nash to be Lucic

I think he meant the B’s want Backes to play the Lucic role (not Nash). The wording was a little confusing.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

How was Bjork’s performance last night? I think with Bergeron out of the lineup and playing on a line with Nash or Spooner, some of Bjork’s inexperience was on display. However, he looks like he’s a very good fit for 37/63, which may say more about those two than him I guess. At any rate, I don’t see Cassidy pulling Bjork off that line with the puck movement they showed last night.

Personally, I would like to see Backes centering DeBrusk and Heinen on the 3rd line with Spooner out. While not burners, 74 and 43 are both good skaters and should be able to compensate for Backes lack of foot speed. Heinen’s passing abilities should create ample scoring chances for both DeBrusk and Backes, and all three of them are very responsible defensively.

I get the salary issue with Backes. People see the price tag and want the guy in the Top 6, but IMO the third line C position is more important to the team overall than a Top 6 wing role. Cehlarik didn’t score, but it appeared that he, Pasta and Krejci had some chemistry last year. Give that a whirl with Spooner hurt.

63-37-10
83-46-88
74-42-43

On the 4th line you choose three from:

18, 20, 39, 52, 55, 72, and White

Reactions: Mainehockey33

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I just don't know where he fits into the team in 2018-2019, let alone 2020-2021. He's got to play C in 2018. We will have just too many gifted young wingers by then.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
he missed another pass last night like he did often last year that was sort of a 'not a prime time player' sort of miss. he was at about center ice and somebody gave him a cross-ice pass and he just completely missed it and turned it over and the Canucks came right back up ice. he can't afford those mistakes given that he's pretty limited overall at this point.

he's your 3rd line center, and hopefully will eventually find his game and produce, but in the meantime he needs to focus.

course i loved the hit he threw. body blows do wear opponents down. unfortunately they can wear down mid-career players making the hits as well. the Backes situation could go either way.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
How was Bjork’s performance last night? I think with Bergeron out of the lineup and playing on a line with Nash or Spooner, some of Bjork’s inexperience was on display. However, he looks like he’s a very good fit for 37/63, which may say more about those two than him I guess. At any rate, I don’t see Cassidy pulling Bjork off that line with the puck movement they showed last night.

Personally, I would like to see Backes centering DeBrusk and Heinen on the 3rd line with Spooner out. While not burners, 74 and 43 are both good skaters and should be able to compensate for Backes lack of foot speed. Heinen’s passing abilities should create ample scoring chances for both DeBrusk and Backes, and all three of them are very responsible defensively.

I get the salary issue with Backes. People see the price tag and want the guy in the Top 6, but IMO the third line C position is more important to the team overall than a Top 6 wing role. Cehlarik didn’t score, but it appeared that he, Pasta and Krejci had some chemistry last year. Give that a whirl with Spooner hurt.

63-37-10
83-46-88
74-42-43

That's a top 9 I could definitely get behind. Minor miss but I'm sure #59 would likely be in the mix for a 4th line role as well.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
First game back after an illness so he quite clearly deserves some patience, but that was the very underwhelming version of Backes I remember from much of last year. Barely saw the guy out there.

Bergy on the other hand...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
First game back after an illness so he quite clearly deserves some patience, but that was the very underwhelming version of Backes I remember from much of last year. Barely saw the guy out there.

Bergy on the other hand...

he wasn`t noticeable but personally I was sort of anticipating a game like that, he lost what? 10-12lbs during his recovery time, then needed to try and catch up to speed. Bergy`s performance was terrific, definitely made a touch easier as well playing with a winger of whom he has sublime chemistry with

I`m one fan though who, I don`t think, has maintained big time expectations for Backes, my personal goal for him would be to produce between 40-50 pts, do some banging, play responsible and be a solid guy on the bench, ice and locker room.

I read somewhere (not sure if here or elsewhere) that his career average for points is just above 45 with a few scattered 50+ pt years and a 60 ish mixed in. He`s never been a speed guy, never been a player who will bring anyone out of their seats.

I know the contract has the potential to be a touch of a concern but if he`s able to put the numbers up I suggested while doing some of the other things, I`ll be ok with him

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Checking in your end is one thing but translating that into covering the other 150 feet of ice is another, unless we want him to be Kelly. A checking 3rd line center at that salary is an over payment.

If they can get a mix of prime Kelly and Soderberg in that 3C spot from Backes, this team is a whole lot better. If he can get his 40 ish points from there and provide stability to the bottom-6. Great. At his peak he was near a 30/30 guy. Averaged 26 goals and 56 points per 82 (aged 24-30). Was in the Selke conversation almost every season through that span. He's not the most graceful player. He's never been. Made his name shutting down the big centers of the western conference. Nobody expects him to be that guy... but if they could just channel some of that experience and ability. That's where he can give you the most value IMO. A few less shifts a game. Weaker competition. I think he can handle it.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

63-37-10
83-46-88
74-42-43

Excellent, and I have high hopes for him, as another Pasta. He will learn so much this year, wish he got the hatty. I was worried for the kid and seen him getting targeted by other teams. I just thought it would be safer for him on a lower line. Bergy was the missing ingredient in everything, my God what are we going do without him. If the kid stays playing like this then sure leave him there. He reminds me of Nylander for the Leafs, fast and smart. Leaf fans would loose their minds if they read that but who cares. I actually thought Backes was not too bad last night,better then the preseason where he looked really average. Maybe the weight loss albeit horrible, helped him. I did mean some may want Backes to replace Lucic not Nash lol, Nash replaces Moore at best. That line you mention looks good to me and Backes has to play center now with no Krech. Nash I hope they finally see him as a 4th liner and excellent PK guy only. They may actually have to bring up JFK, this depth is going be tested and Sweeney did a good job.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If they can get a mix of prime Kelly and Soderberg in that 3C spot from Backes, this team is a whole lot better. If he can get his 40 ish points from there and provide stability to the bottom-6. Great. At his peak he was near a 30/30 guy. Averaged 26 goals and 56 points per 82 (aged 24-30). Was in the Selke conversation almost every season through that span. He's not the most graceful player. He's never been. Made his name shutting down the big centers of the western conference. Nobody expects him to be that guy... but if they could just channel some of that experience and ability. That's where he can give you the most value IMO. A few less shifts a game. Weaker competition. I think he can handle it.

Exactly, and in Boston, he wouldn't even need to be "the" shut-down center, that guy is Bergeron.

But at 3rd line C, he can take some of those secondary match-ups that Krejci is getting, allowing Krejci's line to create offense.

He can also take a little bit of pressure off Bergeron, they wouldn't HAVE to get Bergeron out against other teams top lines every single time. They could spell him once in awhile.

I thought based on Backes comments when he came in that he was brought in to support Bergeron and Krejci, with the occasional time at RW as the situation warrants it.

I was even more shocked when Claude didn't salivate at the thought of another former Selke-nominated center at his disposal, given his love of defensive centers (see his man-crush on Joonas Kemppainen).

How they have used Backes up to this point is truly baffling.

Reactions: frickinbobby

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Ah, gotcha, and as everyone knows here, I`m easily confused, thx

I meant Backes as a Lucic style/type of player. Both are big, like to hit, can fight and can score.

Anyways Nash as Lucic gave me a laugh, Nash may be Moore or less (pun intended)

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Exactly, and in Boston, he wouldn't even need to be "the" shut-down center, that guy is Bergeron.

But at 3rd line C, he can take some of those secondary match-ups that Krejci is getting, allowing Krejci's line to create offense.

He can also take a little bit of pressure off Bergeron, they wouldn't HAVE to get Bergeron out against other teams top lines every single time. They could spell him once in awhile.

I thought based on Backes comments when he came in that he was brought in to support Bergeron and Krejci, with the occasional time at RW as the situation warrants it.

I was even more shocked when Claude didn't salivate at the thought of another former Selke-nominated center at his disposal, given his love of defensive centers (see his man-crush on Joonas Kemppainen).

How they have used Backes up to this point is truly baffling.

After watching yesterday he showed me more then he did in preseason and am glad to be wrong for

the team's sake. They will have to use him at center. Spooner and Czarnik were not cutting it and

their value has been replaced. Maybe the weight loss helped him be lighter on his feet. It

looks to me like they are still picking the team for chemistry. Backes needs to be surrounded with

some quicker wingers who can compliment his game. DeBrusk and maybe Vatrano or Kuraly come to

mind. Free up Cehlarik with Krech and Pasta. Nash, Heinen and Shaller.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
After watching yesterday he showed me more then he did in preseason and am glad to be wrong for

the team's sake. They will have to use him at center. Spooner and Czarnik were not cutting it and

their value has been replaced. Maybe the weight loss helped him be lighter on his feet. It

looks to me like they are still picking the team for chemistry. Backes needs to be surrounded with

some quicker wingers who can compliment his game. DeBrusk and maybe Vatrano or Kuraly come to

mind. Free up Cehlarik with Krech and Pasta. Nash, Heinen and Shaller.

I'm sure I posted this before in another thread, but what I'd go with:

Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork

Cehlarik - Krejci - Pastrnak

Debrusk - Backes - Vatrano

Belesky/Schaller - Kuraly - Heinen

Late in games defending leads, they can make adjustments to the Backes line, perhaps shifting one or two of Schaller/Kuraly/Heinen in for Vatrano and/or Debrusk and give that line a more defensive flavor to defend the lead and roll 3 lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad