Player Discussion David Backes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
The 6 vs 5 year thing is really the hill you're going to die on CDJ? lol it might as well be the same thing with his current production. 5 years is going to feel like 10.

But in the end if we agree that criticizing the production is fair, then let's just agree on that point and move on. Certainly not hard to criticize him there. Consider me focused on that until he turns it around. And if you're open to the idea that you were wrong about Beleskey, maybe you'll be open to Backes in 2 years. Or maybe I'll be the one who was wrong. I got Marchand wrong 3 years ago, look at him now. But I didn't get Hayes, Beleskey, Rinaldo, Liles, Quader and a host of others wrong. So somewhere in there a sliver of credit would be ayight. I think you get stuff right all the time.

I'm not sure of your opinion of McQuaid but if you think he is anything but a useful, heart and soul, solid defensive defenseman 5/6 D that any team would take you would be wrong. His salary is in the range of players that bring what he does.

But maybe we should have spent 3 million for 4 years on Alex Semin cause he's got skills and is super fast and great in EA :sarcasm:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The 6 vs 5 year thing is really the hill you're going to die on CDJ? lol it might as well be the same thing with his current production. 5 years is going to feel like 10.

But in the end if we agree that criticizing the production is fair, then let's just agree on that point and move on. Certainly not hard to criticize him there. Consider me focused on that until he turns it around. And if you're open to the idea that you were wrong about Beleskey, maybe you'll be open to Backes in 2 years. Or maybe I'll be the one who was wrong. I got Marchand wrong 3 years ago, look at him now. But I didn't get Hayes, Beleskey, Rinaldo, Liles, Quader and a host of others wrong. So somewhere in there a sliver of credit would be ayight. I think you get stuff right all the time.

You won't be wrong,he was never elite and is in the inevitable decline years.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Of Sweeney’s move, the one I don’t get is the Backes signing.

Since he became GM, Sweeney seems to be looking for wingers with shooting skills and speed to go to the net, and with some sandpaper if possible, both on the pro and the amateur levels.
I don’t see Backes fitting that description. He’s too slow to play on the wings, to my liking anyway.

And he’s too expensive to be a 3rd line center. So unless they trade Krejci, (Bergy is not going anywhere), I just don’t see where Backes slots. That's a problem when you’re paying a 32 years old with lots of wear and tear 6M/year for the next 5 years.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Since he became GM, Sweeney seems to be looking for wingers with shooting skills and speed to go to the net, and with some sandpaper if possible, both on the pro and the amateur levels.
I don’t see Backes fitting that description. He’s too slow to play on the wings, to my liking anyway.

And he’s too expensive to be a 3rd line center. So unless they trade Krejci, (Bergy is not going anywhere), I just don’t see where Backes slots. That's a problem when you’re paying a 32 years old with lots of wear and tear 6M/year for the next 5 years.

I agree. It was a puzzling signing. He just doesn't appear to fit naturally into the lineup.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Agreed. I remember McKenzie tweeted that it was a 1 year, 6m deal and I was ecstatic... Only for him to delete the tweet, and say 6 years. REALLY confusing for a team with Krejci, Bergeron, and Spooner. I love him as a person and a player, happy to have him on the team, I just didn't get the signing and still don't.

Also, if they trade Krejci in favor of Backes... yikes. Both are a bit overpaid, but Krejci is a much better player and much less overpaid than Backes, IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure of your opinion of McQuaid but if you think he is anything but a useful, heart and soul, solid defensive defenseman 5/6 D that any team would take you would be wrong. His salary is in the range of players that bring what he does.

But maybe we should have spent 3 million for 4 years on Alex Semin cause he's got skills and is super fast and great in EA :sarcasm:

So well said

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No I would. I just haven't seen it. David Backes does not EVER carry the play. He's never looked dangerous with the puck on his stick to me. And unlike power forwards banging home lots of rebounds and getting into the dirty places on the ice, he's just not putting a lot of rubber on the net of late. For a guy supposedly so big and so strong in Backes, Loui spent way more time in the dirty areas banging in those rebounds for goals. You can't tell me I'm wrong there.

the way i remember loui is sucking for 2 years and then playing ok in his contract year... then signing with a suck team for 6 years and going back into suck mold

you can tell me im wrong if you think i am

in the meantime im still a fan of backes... but if loui is a hero for 1 decent season in 3 years than maybe backes deserved more than 60 games before hes judged so harsh?

and honestly if eriksson is the measuring stick than backes looks pretty goodto me

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
the way i remember loui is sucking for 2 years and then playing ok in his contract year... then signing with a suck team for 6 years and going back into suck mold

in the meantime im still a fan of backes... but if loui is a hero for 1 decent season in 3 years than maybe backes deserved more than 60 games before hes judged so harsh?

and honestly if eriksson is the measuring stick than backes looks pretty goodto me

Loui's scrutiny in Boston was due to who he was traded for, plain and simple. You may not choose to remember it that way, but that's the only way worth remembering. After his brain got scrambled twice, you have the 2014-2015 "down" year where he goes 22/25/47 for basically a few hundred grand more than Beleskey money. If that had been a free agent signing at that cap hit, nobody cries (just as nobody did initially for Beleskey outside of me and a few others I suppose). But of course he was traded for the S man, and that was that. Now even in that down year, 22 goals. Lemme tell you I'd be pretty happy with a down year 22 goals from Backes right about now. I'm starting to think I'd be happy as a pig in **** if the guy gets 18 goals.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

I think they both suck and wish we didn't sign either of them

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I mean if that's all wrote that would be the hill I'd die on but it isn't . It's more an observation that you can't criticize him properly. If you are going to criticize a guys contract you should at least know what it is, you know?

But other than that- totally agree with the rest of what you said. And likewise, I think you definitely get plenty of stuff right. The Aforementioned Eriksson returning to form being one of them, some of the others you listed being more. I'm not ready to concede McQuaid though, I kinda like where he's been at this year ;)

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Hey if Quader plays 75 games and his advanced stats and character stuff stay like this, no problems from me. But most years he's been a 60 game guy, and that's not what I want to build my D around. He is what he is, we won't protect him and Vegas probably won't take him. So he's probably just a 5 in 4's clothing. But he's always going to be one of my favorite gritty guys after Sugar and Z.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
That's totally fair

I'll also say Backes point production is a little under where I expected it to be. Fortunately we got a flyers matinee and those are always good for 5+ goals so if he gets a few he's basically exactly what i expected

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
His shooting percentage being almost 5 % off his good output years isn't helping any either. Maybe he just needs a bit of puck luck too.

MetM

Nov 29, 2009
Well, he is one of the few to through a good hit from time to time... I like that.

He is a bit slow but I'm sure well liked in the room, could be an asset if they make the playoffs.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Pretty much classic decline numbers. Peak minus 35% between ages 31 and 34 and then all bets are off.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Well, he is one of the few to through a good hit from time to time... I like that.

He is a bit slow but I'm sure well liked in the room, could be an asset if they make the playoffs.

Hits are an over-rated stat, however.

How did his leadership/being liked in the room help with St. Louis's playoff success?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

How did his leadership/being liked in the room help with St. Louis's playoff success?

Hits are only under appreciated by the "analytic community", people watching a game get the value of hitting and a physical presence.

How did Bourque's leadership help in the Boston room all those year? How about O'Reilly's?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Way overrated. I remember Larry Robinson dissuading his players from following through on many hits as it takes you out of the play for that extra second. I have no idea why they thought they needed more leadership,what they needed was a talented top line winger.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

It seems you are undermining Loui a bit.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
This one is easy. whether you like Backes or not there is no denying he is not worth his contract and his term for his age is terrible. We will pay for this signing. If he were a guy that was going to put us over the hump this or next year I could live with it but he is far from that.

Backes=not worth 6 million, will be terrible in 2 or less years

Next thread

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This one is easy. whether you like Backes or not there is no denying he is not worth his contract and his term for his age is terrible. We will pay for this signing. If he were a guy that was going to put us over the hump this or next year I could live with it but he is far from that.

Backes=not worth 6 million, will be terrible in 2 or less years

Next thread

Phew, and here I thought we'd have to wait 3 years to see how he plays, glad you let us all look into your crystal ball though!

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Pretty well.

I must have missed all those deep playoff runs/Stanley Cup appearances of the Blues when Backes was with the team.

Hits are only under appreciated by the "analytic community", people watching a game get the value of hitting and a physical presence.

How did Bourque's leadership help in the Boston room all those year? How about O'Reilly's?

For one thing, hitting means that your team doesn't have possession of the puck. I like a good hit as much as anyone but disagree with those who place a lot of value on it as a measure of a team or player's skill or effectiveness.

One of the things touted about Backes when he arrived in Boston was his supposed leadership. I don't see how that has helped here, to say nothing of it apparently having done very little during his time with the Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille