Confirmed with Link: Dave Cameron Fired (along with Tourigny, Wamsley) (starts at post 208)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
My beef with Melnyk is not the coach comments, but rather that anyone, including Karlsson, can be traded.

I do agree with Melnyk that anyone, including the face of the franchise can be traded for the right package. I think this can apply to any team obviously. Narrowing it down and giving out a name isn't the smartest thing to say publicly though, I agree with you on that.

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
to be fair Melynk did say he has a hard time believing Karlsson would be on any trade list.

The way he should have answered the question is.

Everyone can be traded, hell gretzky was traded. Karlsson is special and we aren't gonna give him up for anything less than the best player in the game.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I do agree with Melnyk that anyone, including the face of the franchise can be traded for the right package. I think this can apply to any team obviously. It isn't the smartest thing to say publicly though, I agree with you on that.

How does it sound to your Franchise player though. Probably not so good.

Edit: didn't want to derail.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
to be fair Melynk did say he has a hard time believing Karlsson would be on any trade list.

The way he should have answered the question is.

Everyone can be traded, hell gretzky was traded. Karlsson is special and we aren't gonna give him up for anything less than the best player in the game.

Would have to take a Crosby, Kane, Toews, Malkin, Ovechkin (that type of star) coming back.... needless to say I doubt any of those players on are on their teams trading lists.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Melnyk: "Yeah we'll spend to get a coach, maybe not Babcock money but we're willing to spend."

The reaction: "**** YOU MELNYK YOU SLIMY PIECE OF ****!! SELL THIS TEAM BEFORE ERIK LEAVES I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE NOT WILLING TO SPEND MONEY ON A COACH!!"

Calm down people, why don't we wait and see who the Sens hire before assuming he's being a lying *******.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Juliens not coming into this MESS to coach this team with this OWNERSHIP situation for anything less than 3.5 million MINIMUM starting salary / per year with significant term...

No way hes coming in here, in this MESS of a franchise without a risk premium added to his contract...

The climate around this organization is going to scare established coaches off, unless they get a PREMIUM on their contract...otherwise they'll just wait out until a better opportunity opens up

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Eugene Melnyk and live radio makes me shudder. The guy just straight up gives sloppy answers, even if his intentions are good and a portion of the answer/interview makes sense.

He should just stop giving interviews. His seeming ambivalence about Karlsson and his insistence that the culture of Sens management should not and would not change and that Murray would still have the last word-and why get any outside opinion as they could not possibly measure up to Murray's? sort of drained out some of the hopeful feelings about Dorions moves today.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Honestly I've just listened to the Melnyk interview with TSN 1200 and people are going ape **** for absolutely nothing.

Disagree. I'm a bigger optimist around here than most, but that was a bad interview for generating positive morale, especially as a followup to Dorions comments.

Could everyone speaking on behalf of the team not just leave it at "we have the resources to hire the best coach available"?

No, Eugene sure couldn't leave it at that.

He needed to get into specifics, like he always does, and then more or less confirm that this will have a direct effect on how much is spent on the roster. He also mentioned how he doesn't think coaching can make that big of a difference.....

If anyone got the feeling that any coach is available to us after hearing that interview, I don't know what to tell you.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Juliens not coming into this MESS to coach this team with this OWNERSHIP situation for anything less than 3.5 million MINIMUM starting salary / per year with significant term...

No way hes coming in here, in this MESS of a franchise without a risk premium added to his contract...

The climate around this organization is going to scare established coaches off, unless they get a PREMIUM on their contract...otherwise they'll just wait out until a better opportunity opens up

Yeah I'm sure Julien would hate to coach his hometown team and the best defenseman in the world, what a terrible situation that would be for him. Luckily he can sign somewhere that isn't a complete mess.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Disagree. I'm a bigger optimist around here than most, but that was a bad interview for positive morale around here, especially as a followup to Dorions comments.

Could everyone speaking on behalf of the team not just leave it at "we have the resources to hire the best coach available"?

No, Eugene sure couldn't leave it at that.

He needed to get into specifics, like he always does, and then more or less confirm that this will have a direct effect on how much is spent on the roster. He also mentioned how he doesn't think coaching can make that big of a difference.....

If anyone got the feeling that any coach in the league is available to us after hearing that interview, I don't know what to tell you.

I really doubt Claude's going to be so offended by Melnyk's interview that it would be the cause for him not signing here.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How does it sound to your Franchise player though. Probably not so good.

Edit: didn't want to derail.

EK doesn't care I'm sure. Probably doesn't care that the new GM is saying he is good sometimes and bad sometimes on the radio either. :dunno:

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Yeah I'm sure Julien would hate to coach his hometown team and the best defenseman in the world, what a terrible situation that would be for him. Luckily he can sign somewhere that isn't a complete mess.

Its not that he wouldn't enjoy any of those things. I'm referring to the climate beginning from the Top down ...its a joke of a franchsie...the way its being runned and how many coaches they go thru...

No established head coach is coming in here without a Risk premium attached to his contract in terms of additional $$$ ...because it creates some form stability

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Isn't Babcock making 7 mill?

What does Quenville make? If he doesn't make 7 mil now, he's going to on his next deal.

A guy like Julien would have to be at least $4 mil, wouldn't he?

Quennville just signed an extension of 6m a year for 3 years

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I really doubt Claude's going to be so offended by Melnyk's interview that it would be the cause for him not signing here.

?

Neither do I :laugh:

I'll believe Claude Julien signs here when Eugene opens up the wallet for 3-5 million per year for Julien to come here.

Dorions a smart guy, and hopefully he can channel every ounce of that intelligence of his into convincing Melnyk that the investment into a good coaching staff is going to result in a long term gain for him.

That's our only hope, aside from Julien taking a hometown discount.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I really don't think people view the Senators as a MESS of a franchise. Only angry Sens fans and Leafs and Habs trolls think that.

We are a lot less of a mess then Boston appears to be. Power struggle. Neely. No defence at all. Lost a half dozen key players recently.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Its not that he wouldn't enjoy any of those things. I'm referring to the climate beginning from the Top down ...its a joke of a franchsie...the way its being runned and how many coaches they go thru...

No established head coach is coming in here without a Risk premium attached to his contract in terms of additional $$$ ...because it creates some form stability

Ah yes, the complete management and coaching overhaul, is already, after 2 days, is horribly run. If Ottawa is willing to pay the money for Julien, I have no doubt he wants to coach here. You can look at the Senators situation as a negative one, dunken owner, went through lots of coaches, or a positive one, playoff roster, good core, decent prospects, best dman in the league.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
?

Neither do I :laugh:

I'll believe Claude Julien signs here when Eugene opens up the wallet for 3-5 million per year for Julien to come here.

Dorions a smart guy, and hopefully he can channel every ounce of that intelligence of his into convincing Melnyk that the investment into a good coaching staff is going to result in a long term gain for him.

That's our only hope, aside from Julien taking a hometown discount.

How exactly do you know convincing needs to be done? How exactly do you know that Melnyk was lying when it comes to spending for a coach? Maybe I lack the interpretation skills, but I don't see how you could get that from one interview.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Ah yes, the complete management and coaching overhaul, is already, after 2 days, is horribly run. If Ottawa is willing to pay the money for Julien, I have no doubt he wants to coach here. You can look at the Senators situation as a negative one, dunken owner, went through lots of coaches, or a positive one, playoff roster, good core, decent prospects, best dman in the league.

You can spin it any which way you like positive or negative... but Claude Julien isn't coming here unless they pay him market value + a good premium ...

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
How exactly do you know convincing needs to be done? How exactly do you know that Melnyk was lying when it comes to spending for a coach? Maybe I lack the interpretation skills, but I don't see how you could get that from one interview.

Tell me that's a genius negotiation play by Eugene, and I'll tell you that Melnyk is no genius.

Nor will he have any say in the actual negotiations, aside from the final yay or nay.

I'd love to be wrong here, but if Dorion knocks on Eugenes door with a 4m/yr contract in hand for Julien, he's got some explaining to do.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I wouldn't mind Boucher, unsure about Yeo.

Yeo had issues but it also sounds like Parise is a total dbag.

I wouldn't mind Yeo, not sure about Boucher.

Maybe the Bruins are nervous about letting Julien go, knowing that other teams are hoping to snap him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA