Confirmed with Link: Dave Cameron Fired (along with Tourigny, Wamsley) (starts at post 208)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
I think people are forgetting - we're dealing with coaches who have been fired.

If Julien is fired - it's because he was partially to blame for Boston's failures since their cup win. Is he entirely responsible? No. Is he an upgrade over Cameron? Yes. Can he work out for us if we get him? Yes.

But you don't just hand him the keys to the city.

I think people are going crazy with valuing coaches and their salaries. Babcock chose to leave. He didn't get fired.

He's an all-time great coach. Toronto decided "hey since there's no salary cap on coaches, advisors, scouts lets just buy them all".... and they did.

I don't care if Desmarais and a bunch of his billionaire friends buy the club and relocate to LeBreton - we still wouldn't be big enough to do what Toronto did. Melnyk is not the problem when it comes to coaching.

https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

For everyone saying 5 million, what about the guys at the other end? Trotz for 1.5, Hitchcock for 1.2...I doubt Julien is going to get 5 million to coach anywhere. He'll get something similar to Bylsma....3 million for 5 years.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
4 years at $12,13,14 million is a boatload of money. I don't think they will have to go a lot over $3 million per.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Wouldn't it be hilarious if Boston came out tomorrow and said Julien's staying with the Bruins for another year?

That's what I expect will happen.

I maintain that the Bruins would be idiots to let him go but I do think there is a disconnect between management and the coaching staff there.

If management/ownership are set in their ways he will likely be fired. If they can see that believing themselves to be Cup Contenders is foolish at this time then they will retain him another year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I maintain that the Bruins would be idiots to let him go but I do think there is a disconnect between management and the coaching staff there.

If management/ownership are set in their ways he will likely be fired. If they can see that believing themselves to be Cup Contenders is foolish at this time then they will retain him another year.

If they decide to rebuild then maybe they think a teaching coach would be better than a veteran coach & maybe Julien would rather have a team on the upswing then rebuilding. You just never know what Boston will do but I think they go their separate ways sooner rather than later but then again I would have thought it would have happened by now. The longer they go without saying anything chances are they keep Julien, I would think at the least they should give him an opportunity to get another job, if they plan to can him & do that soon.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

Completely agree with this. It's a question of whether Neely's ego (lets face it, he holds more power than Don Sweeney) wins both over himself and Jeremy Jacobs.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I can understand why people are pissed at Melnyk after that radio interview.

Earlier in the day, Dorion says "Melnyk has made it clear we have the resources to hire the best coach available", and then later in the same day, Melnyk talks about how the coaching salaries are completely out of whack, balks at the idea of paying a coach $4-5mil, and says that hiring an elite coach won't make a differnece.

(Melnyk's quote, verbatim: "So to put that kind of money out for one single person, thats tough for even the management point of view. You wouldn't do that to an executive so why go crazy with the business of hockey. I dont think it could make that much of a difference, I really dont").

So yeah. I get the frustrtion. To be told one thing by the new GM, and then have it 100% contradicted later that same day, that's not really encouraging for fans.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Earlier in the day, Dorion says "Melnyk has made it clear we have the resources to hire the best coach available", and then later in the same day, Melnyk talks about how the coaching salaries are completely out of whack, balks at the idea of paying a coach $4-5mil, and says that hiring an elite coach won't make a differnece.

(Melnyk's quote, verbatim: "So to put that kind of money out for one single person, thats tough for even the management point of view. You wouldn't do that to an executive so why go crazy with the business of hockey. I dont think it could make that much of a difference, I really dont").

So yeah. I get the frustrtion. To be told one thing by the new GM, and then have it 100% contradicted later that same day, that's not really encouraging for fans.

Disfunctional. Why can't the Owner and GM get on the same page at least for talking points.

And Melnyk says he doesn't make hockey decisions but if he won't pay to hire a veteran coach and has opinions on everything from coaching to management.

But worst of all he comes out and does press before talking to his 'friend' Dave Cameron. He chooses to stick his face into a microphone before calling a guy who has coached for him for 10 years.

Ottawa is not a class organization. Melnyk isn't a class act. He's just a wanna be celebrity who thinks people care what he says.

I think most fans could go the rest of their lives without hearing from Melnyk the press loves him and knows he's the ultimate sideshow

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Thing i dont understand is this system for paying coaches even if they fired. For what ? I dont get my job done, i am fired, end of story. OK if coach fired in a middle of season, pay him till season ends and that it.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

So basically just another day of the week for Eugene. But remember, everyone, he said we'll spend when we're ready to contend! ...:shakehead

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thing i dont understand is this system for paying coaches even if they fired. For what ? I dont get my job done, i am fired, end of story. OK if coach fired in a middle of season, pay him till season ends and that it.

It is a contract, in which salary is guaranteed regardless of termination... much like a player's contract is. If you terminate the contract early, you still owe the remainder of the contract.

No pro coach worth a dime would voluntarily sign a non-guaranteed contract.

As for your "if I don't get my job done, I am fired, end of story" comment - that's because your contract probably doesn't include a guaranteed salary clause. And if you tried to negotiate one when you were hired, you would never have got the job, because your employer would have just hired someone else and saved the headache. Because, and no offence here: you probably weren't head-hunted for an international position with the world's leading organization in your field, asked to move to a new city, travel 300 days a year, and be responsible to manage 23 millionaires to success.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.capfriendly.com/coaches

For everyone saying 5 million, what about the guys at the other end? Trotz for 1.5, Hitchcock for 1.2...I doubt Julien is going to get 5 million to coach anywhere. He'll get something similar to Bylsma....3 million for 5 years.

We have to remember, Babcock just raised the bar for everyone. A few years ago, the cream of the crop got a max of $2 million.

Hitchcock and Trotz and guys of that tier will get somewhere around $3 mil on their next contracts.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
We have to remember, Babcock just raised the bar for everyone. A few years ago, the cream of the crop got a max of $2 million.

Hitchcock and Trotz and guys of that tier will get somewhere around $3 mil on their next contracts.

Yep. I agree. The raising of the bar is evident through the Todd Mclennan signing in EDM....3 million per year

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Jason Smith must have dirt on melnyk or he's been the real man behind the curtain this whole time

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
It is a contract, in which salary is guaranteed regardless of termination... much like a player's contract is. If you terminate the contract early, you still owe the remainder of the contract.

No pro coach worth a dime would voluntarily sign a non-guaranteed contract.

As for your "if I don't get my job done, I am fired, end of story" comment - that's because your contract probably doesn't include a guaranteed salary clause. And if you tried to negotiate one when you were hired, you would never have got the job, because your employer would have just hired someone else and saved the headache. Because, and no offence here: you probably weren't head-hunted for an international position with the world's leading organization in your field, asked to move to a new city, travel 300 days a year, and be responsible to manage 23 millionaires to success.

Can also be conceptualized in terms of severance. In most professions, being crappy at your job is still not grounds for "for cause" termination. You still get a payout even if you are let go.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yep. I agree. The raising of the bar is evident through the Todd Mclennan signing in EDM....3 million per year

Teams that want to try and find a financial advantage outside of the cap system are starting to figure out that coaching might be a legit option.

I fully expect coaching salaries to increase significantly in the next 5-8 years from where they were a year or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad