Confirmed with Link: Dave Cameron Fired (along with Tourigny, Wamsley) (starts at post 208)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Guy Carbonneau said on RDS that he'd like to have the chance to coach the Sens if ever there was an opportunity for him. He knows Dorion also from his time in MTL.

He also said that he'd be open for an Assistant Coach position.

Not that I'd be interested, just passing the message along.

Julien - head coach
Richardson - assistant coach, work with D
Charbonneau - assistant coach, work with forwards

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not sure what exactly happened these past 12 hours. But the Sens' fan base seems to have lost its collective mind.

I think most of us are doing just fine.

It's just the usual suspects doing their schtick, best thing to do is to ignore them.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Guy Carbonneau said on RDS that he'd like to have the chance to coach the Sens if ever there was an opportunity for him. He knows Dorion also from his time in MTL.

He also said that he'd be open for an Assistant Coach position.

Not that I'd be interested, just passing the message along.

oooooo....I really like Carbonneau. Not entirely sure how good he would be as a coach, but definitely a good guy as a player. (Only likeable guy on the Habs back in the 80/90s.)

Ya know, it's days like today when I'm kinda glad I sleep all day. Kinda funny walking into this mess so late.

.....but seriously, drop Smith from the organization. Or make him a hot dog vendor, if he wants to stick around so badly. :P

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I think most of us are doing just fine.

It's just the usual suspects doing their schtick, best thing to do is to ignore them.

I haven't actually listened to either of the two Melnyk interviews he gave today that supposedly conflict with each other.

Anyone have reasonable cliff notes of them?

All I know is Dorion said he could hire who he wanted. He could compete with other teams for the same coach (in other words we're not trying to get the cheapest guy).

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
People whine for a teardown, for a change in GM, a change in coach.

We get 2/3 and suddenly it's like we did nothing.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
oooooo....I really like Carbonneau. Not entirely sure how good he would be as a coach, but definitely a good guy as a player. (Only likeable guy on the Habs back in the 80/90s.)

Ya know, it's days like today when I'm kinda glad I sleep all day. Kinda funny walking into this mess so late.

.....but seriously, drop Smith from the organization. Or make him a hot dog vendor, if he wants to stick around so badly. :P

I'm happy to know Smith won't be here as defense coach anyways. If he does something else, that's fine.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Juliens not coming into this MESS to coach this team with this OWNERSHIP situation for anything less than 3.5 million MINIMUM starting salary / per year with significant term...

No way hes coming in here, in this MESS of a franchise without a risk premium added to his contract...

The climate around this organization is going to scare established coaches off, unless they get a PREMIUM on their contract...otherwise they'll just wait out until a better opportunity opens up

Its not that he wouldn't enjoy any of those things. I'm referring to the climate beginning from the Top down ...its a joke of a franchsie...the way its being runned and how many coaches they go thru...

No established head coach is coming in here without a Risk premium attached to his contract in terms of additional $$$ ...because it creates some form stability

You can spin it any which way you like positive or negative... but Claude Julien isn't coming here unless they pay him market value + a good premium ...

Quenville actually signed recently a 3 year contract extention for 18 million...
That's 6M per Year...

Which would make QUENVILLE the 2nd highest paid

Juliens currently making 2.75 per year... hes going to want a raise regardless of where he goes...

If he comes to Ottawa my opinion is he is going to want a PREMIUM on top of what he can get any where else...because of the instability with this Franchise

Are you paid to write the word "PREMIUM"?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I haven't actually listened to either of the two Melnyk interviews he gave today that supposedly conflict with each other.

Anyone have reasonable cliff notes of them?

All I know is Dorion said he could hire who he wanted. He could compete with other teams for the same coach (in other words we're not trying to get the cheapest guy).

I listened to the interview on TSN1200

Ian Mendes asked Melnyk: what happens if the guy Dorion wants asks for 4.5 or 5 million dollars?

To which Melnyk basically said it was too much money and that it would require trading away a 5 million dollar player.

That's it.

And now we have all the teenagers spamming social media and posting nonsense.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

Ian Mendes asked Melnyk: what happens if the guy Dorion wants asks for 4.5 or 5 million dollars?

To which Melnyk basically said it was too much money and that it would require trading away a 5 million dollar player.

That's it.

I mean... why would you pay 4.5M or 5M for anyone not named Babcock (and maybe Quenneville/Sutter too)?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean... why would you pay 4.5M or 5M for anyone not named Babcock (and maybe Quenneville/Sutter too)?

Agreed and I wouldn't even pay Quenneville that much: he's a mediocre coach who has an unbelievable roster in front of him and management team behind him. But I seem to be in the minority on that matter :laugh:

But that doesn't matter to the rabble pushers: a number was thrown out there and Melnyk scoffed at it therefore we are completely screwed.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
People whine for a teardown, for a change in GM, a change in coach.

We get 2/3 and suddenly it's like we did nothing.

Add to that we complained about not springing for a top-4 defenceman and the team went out and acquired Phaneuf.

People can feel frustrated, but we have definitely made some major moves in the last little while.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010

Exactly. I don't know if it's the right number but someone said that Julien is making 2.75M a year right now. He's not going to double that money after getting fired (if he gets fired). ~3M seems to be a fair amount for a good coach with success coaching in the NHL and I'm sure Melnyk would be okay with that.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016

That's it.

I think it's the sentiment that he was backpedaling that had most people frustrated. You are correct that some people have been too hung up on the 5 million angle. No need for the belittling teenagers comment to be honest. We're all fans, on the same side, and we all want to see an excellent product be put on the ice.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Don't think the team should have any business appointing assistants, suggesting them to the head coach? sure.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Agreed and I wouldn't even pay Quenneville that much: he's a mediocre coach who has an unbelievable roster in front of him and management team behind him. But I seem to be in the minority on that matter :laugh:

But that doesn't matter to the rabble pushers: a number was thrown out there and Melnyk scoffed at it therefore we are completely screwed.

I think people are forgetting - we're dealing with coaches who have been fired.

If Julien is fired - it's because he was partially to blame for Boston's failures since their cup win. Is he entirely responsible? No. Is he an upgrade over Cameron? Yes. Can he work out for us if we get him? Yes.

But you don't just hand him the keys to the city.

I think people are going crazy with valuing coaches and their salaries. Babcock chose to leave. He didn't get fired.

He's an all-time great coach. Toronto decided "hey since there's no salary cap on coaches, advisors, scouts lets just buy them all".... and they did.

I don't care if Desmarais and a bunch of his billionaire friends buy the club and relocate to LeBreton - we still wouldn't be big enough to do what Toronto did. Melnyk is not the problem when it comes to coaching.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think it's the sentiment that he was backpedaling that had most people frustrated. You are correct that some people have been too hung up on the 5 million angle. No need for the belittling teenagers comment to be honest. We're all fans, on the same side, and we all want to see an excellent product be put on the ice.

He wasn't backpedalling he answered the question that was asked: would you pay 4.5 to 5 million for a head coach.

And he didn't even say no! He said he thinks someone asking for that much is extremely unlikely and that it would require some work to make it fit.

And then the floodgates opened and the plebe lost their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille