Player Discussion Danton Heinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Maybe read my post before the overreaction about what I said.
sorry bout that, just jumping in, overreacting without maybe, just maybe going back, getting some context. Please accept my apologies, my bad, won`t be the first, nor the last where I react like a jackwagon

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well the discussion was about him potentially as a Top 6 forward, to which I said I don't see anything stopping that potential other than a career altering injury. So pending an unfortunate circumstance, IMO it is safe to assume Heinen should mature into a consistent Top 6 forward.

Another poster clarified what the discussion was...about a week ago.

And I will repeat, I think it’s kind of morbid to approach it that way (this kid will be good, if he doesn’t suffer a career altering injury). To each his own, but I find that line of thinking kind of asinine.

Maybe it’s just me?

At any rate, Heinen is exceeding my expectations at this point (and I thought he was going to be good).

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
A player that you cant help but appreciate. Going to be a good reliable NHL player,he's sneaking skilled

Last edited:
Reactions: PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

And I will repeat, I think it’s kind of morbid to approach it that way (this kid will be good, if he doesn’t suffer a career altering injury). To each his own, but I find that line of thinking kind of asinine.

Maybe it’s just me?

At any rate, Heinen is exceeding my expectations at this point (and I thought he was going to be good).

You were on him for a long time. Good eye.

I'd like to see him be more confident with his shot. He sees the ice so well that I don't mind when he does pass because it's almost always a good play, but I would like to see him add some more depth to his offensive game by shooting the puck more. Still, that's nit-picking a 22 year old rookie who's on pace for 16 goals over 82 games - not too shabby at all.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Really enjoy his cerebral brand of hockey. Would like to see him tried with Krejci and DeBrusk when they come back.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
You were on him for a long time. Good eye.

I'd like to see him be more confident with his shot. He sees the ice so well that I don't mind when he does pass because it's almost always a good play, but I would like to see him add some more depth to his offensive game by shooting the puck more. Still, that's nit-picking a 22 year old rookie who's on pace for 16 goals over 82 games - not too shabby at all.

I agree, and believe the B’s have told him to shoot more. There was one instance in the last game where he had Backes driving the net and chose to take the shot instead. He also had a really nice play where he used the D as a screen and snapped off a shot Vasilevsky was forced to make a tough save on.

If he’s picking his spots and choosing the right times to shoot, the opposing D is going to have to honor that, which should make his passing game even more effective.

I think he’s a kid that can play with a lot of different linemates. He had some success on the 4th line with Nash and Schaller and he looked good with Bergeron and Pasta on the first, so it gives Boston some options. Personally, I would like to see a 3rd line of DeBrusk/Backes/Heinen when everyone is healthy.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm most impressed with his ability to play in heavy traffic, he's like the anti-Spooner
Despite not screaming "physicality" at first glance, he seems to be willing to throw himself like a tiny wrecking ball through a group of players when he is thirsty for a puck.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Despite not screaming "physicality" at first glance, he seems to be willing to throw himself like a tiny wrecking ball through a group of players when he is thirsty for a puck.

His style reminds me a lot of Loui Eriksson, except he's not so afraid all the time. He's a good one. IIRC, when he was drafted, he wasn't even on the rankings, wasn't even projected to be drafted... I'm 90% sure that was him.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I don't think Loui was ever afraid. He was one of the only guys one the team who actually could provide some net front presence. That has been an aspect that the Bruins have lacked ever since he left.

Reactions: Estlin

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
he's a guy who, if I was a coach, I'd show video of him to other young guys when I'm trying to teach them how to win puck battles. like "look, you don't have to be Milan Lucic, you just have to want it more"

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I didn't really have expectations for him to do much - not the first nor last time I've been completely wrong (as a grown-up I prefer being proved wrong - just don't tell my kids) Kind of head's up hard-working player I really appreciate.

Bruins are going to have some tough/strange choices to make over the next two years - with him, Bjork and DeBrusk looking like they belong, as well as Acciari and Kuraly - Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Pastrnak, and Backes still around - and figure JFK and Fredericks (Senyshyn?) will be knocking on the door soon. Sweeney's going to have to make some decisions.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I didn't really have expectations for him to do much - not the first nor last time I've been completely wrong (as a grown-up I prefer being proved wrong - just don't tell my kids) Kind of head's up hard-working player I really appreciate.

Bruins are going to have some tough/strange choices to make over the next two years - with him, Bjork and DeBrusk looking like they belong, as well as Acciari and Kuraly - Bergeron, Marchand, Krejci, Pastrnak, and Backes still around - and figure JFK and Fredericks (Senyshyn?) will be knocking on the door soon. Sweeney's going to have to make some decisions.
I'd rather be in the position with assets to trade rather than acquire.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
His style reminds me a lot of Loui Eriksson, except he's not so afraid all the time. He's a good one. IIRC, when he was drafted, he wasn't even on the rankings, wasn't even projected to be drafted... I'm 90% sure that was him.

Heinen grew quite a bit in his draft year if I recall correctly? Went from 5’8” to 6’0” I think? The thing that first attracted the B’s were his leadership qualities, so I’m guessing when he added some size they were all over him.

He was named Captain of his BCHL team (Surrey I believe), despite being new and young. He was committed to Denver and they knew he would be able to develop in a pro-style program.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'd like to see him as a regular on a line with Backes- they are different players, but I think bring the same mental attitude to the game. Backes is a great mentor to players like Heinen, probably JDB, Gabrielle if he ever makes etc. A 3rd line of Heinen-Backes-JDB might look really good. I'd like to see it once we have the bodies back to do it.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
People need to realize prospects grow at s different rate. One or two weeks in, some were already busts in people's eyes. I remember all the Marchand hate here in his first year. No goals in twenty games. This kid needed time. Look at DeBrusk. Not everyone can rack up points in their first year. Ice time and team chemistry changes things. Glad he's doing good. Saw glimpses of this last year but most were too impatient then, including Clode.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
People need to realize prospects grow at s different rate. One or two weeks in, some were already busts in people's eyes. I remember all the Marchand hate here in his first year. No goals in twenty games. This kid needed time. Look at DeBrusk. Not everyone can rack up points in their first year. Ice time and team chemistry changes things. Glad he's doing good. Saw glimpses of this last year but most were too impatient then, including Clode.

On Wheeler.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I found in the 8 or 9 games he played with the B`s last year to begin, I could see the "smarts" but he also seemed to be easily pushed off the puck and his battle on the puck was usually a one and done situation.

I can`t comment on his game and how it progressed at the AHL level as I don`t watch PB games but I did catch a few playoff tilts via stream and he definitely looked like a different player but I`m always cautious when I read about a player being solid at the AHL level to not automatically assume that will translate into the pro game.

This latest call up his decision making is noticeably quicker, he`s far more resilient when battling for pucks and the angles he takes when attacking a player has been terrific, top that off with some offensive contributions, pretty solid looking pick and a player this fan has unapologetically (is this a word?) developed a disturbing man crush on

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The kids going to be a great player. He's already way better than I ever thought he would top out at.

I disagree with those who suddenly think he plays physical. He peels off almost every check and is not totally willing to take a hit to make a play. He needs to add 15 lbs of muscle.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The kids going to be a great player. He's already way better than I ever thought he would top out at.

I disagree with those who suddenly think he plays physical. He peels off almost every check and is not totally willing to take a hit to make a play. He needs to add 15 lbs of muscle.

He could benefit from getting stronger, but he is never going to be Charlie McAvoy delivery thundering checks.

But he has definitely shown a willingness to play physical by going into the corners and winning puck battles. He also battles in front of the net as physically as anyone on the team, case in point was the play on the west coast where he cleaned out the front of the net like an offensive guard opening up the lane for McAvoy to go in for a goal

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville

Maybe it’s just me?

I guess I'm morbid and asinine then. Glad we were able to add that to the discussion. I'm not on this website daily, so I apologize for the delay.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
It takes time to adjust. Early last year in Providence his game was opportunistic- he'd lay in the weeds and then slip in when there was some space. By the end of the year he was imposing himself on the play and making things happen. There is probably a bit of that going on again this year as he's made another jump in terms of competition.

Reactions: zaYG

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I guess I'm morbid and asinine then. Glad we were able to add that to the discussion. I'm not on this website daily, so I apologize for the delay.

Hey, that guy Tarasenko is an awesome player!! If he doesn’t have a career-ending injury he might go on to become an all time great.

WHO SAYS THAT!!???

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad