Player Discussion Danton Heinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I actually really like him with any combo of Schaller/Nash/Kuraly. I see people saying he needs more skilled linemates, but he's producing with those guys and adding some sandpaper to his game in the process.

I was worried that we'd have trouble fitting all the skilled rookie forwards into the lineup with limited top 6 spots, but Heinen is showing he can play in the bottom 6 and still contribute so what's the problem?

There isn't one. People just like to throw shit at Schaller/Nash/Kuraly because they're not first or second liners who score a ton of goals.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There isn't one. People just like to throw **** at Schaller/Nash/Kuraly because they're not first or second liners who score a ton of goals.

I think you (and the poster you replied to) are missing the point?

Schaller/Nash/Kuraly are good 4th line players.

Right now, with all the injuries, Heinen is one of the few guys that has shown some offensive creativity. He also has set up Nash and Schaller a number of times and they have been unable to finish.

I believe the original poster may have been saying that it might be best to put Heinen with some finishers (for the good of the team)?

Reactions: DKH

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Right now, with all the injuries, Heinen is one of the few guys that has shown some offensive creativity. He also has set up Nash and Schaller a number of times and they have been unable to finish.

I believe the original poster may have been saying that it might be best to put Heinen with some finishers (for the good of the team)?

Remember that beautiful feed from Heinen out front to Nash who was in the slot and he buried it.....right into the goalie? Can't remember who they were playing, but what a pass.

I have no issue Heinen being slotted in with these guys if everyone is healthy, because it creates depth and he did do well with them. But at the end of the day, I feel you'll get the most out of Heinen putting him with players who also produce.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Look Cassidy has no choice right now but to ask guys to play above their capabilities. I know they're 4th liners with the limitations that come with 4th liners. But people here shit on them when they can't miraculously turn themselves into first liners on a temporary basis. They're doing the best they can and people need to lay off of them.

As for Heinen yeah I think he'll do better with better players on his line but that's true of a lot of players. No knock against #43, I really like the way he plays.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
for what it's worth, Schaller's possession numbers so far this year are super good. He has some of the most frequent defensive zone faceoff deployment while having one of the highest net shot attempt ratings. People get on his case because he's not flashy or a big scorer, but he's a real puck hound. I'll gladly put him with Heinen any day. Heinen meanwhile has probably been our 4th best forward this year. Kuraly's possession numbers are not as good as Schaller's but have still been decent when you account for zone starts. Nash is the weakest link of the bunch. He does get the worst zone starts, but also has pretty bad possession numbers.

Reactions: BMC

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
for what it's worth, Schaller's possession numbers so far this year are super good. He has some of the most frequent defensive zone faceoff deployment while having one of the highest net shot attempt ratings. People get on his case because he's not flashy or a big scorer, but he's a real puck hound. I'll gladly put him with Heinen any day. Heinen meanwhile has probably been our 4th best forward this year. Kuraly's possession numbers are not as good as Schaller's but have still been decent when you account for zone starts. Nash is the weakest link of the bunch. He does get the worst zone starts, but also has pretty bad possession numbers.
If everyone was healthy a Schaller Kuraly Heinen 4th would be awesome.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

I used to refer to puckalytics for my advanced stats stuff. However, the site recently shut down. Not sure if you're familiar with it, but it was up-to-date recordings. Is there a site that has in-depth stats like that at hand?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I used to refer to puckalytics for my advanced stats stuff. However, the site recently shut down. Not sure if you're familiar with it, but it was up-to-date recordings. Is there a site that has in-depth stats like that at hand?
there are a few...NHL.com actually has shot attempt stats in a couple different contexts but their UI is kind of awful. They don't use the typical "corsi" & "fenwick" naming conventions though. They refer instead to shot attempts and unblocked shot attempts.
Here's an example looking at the Bruins SAT (corsi) % for this season.
NHL.com - Stats

This site is more barebones and less official but seems to be accurate and it's easier to get to the analytics stuff:
NHL Advanced Stats / Analytics | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The resemblance to Eriksson is becoming more apparent with each game. He was one of the few positives last night.

I love how dialled in he is - there's an unusual maturity there. He's not thinking about getting hit or making a mistake. It's all about the puck.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The resemblance to Eriksson is becoming more apparent with each game. He was one of the few positives last night.

I love how dialled in he is - there's an unusual maturity there. He's not thinking about getting hit or making a mistake. It's all about the puck.

kid`s a helluva smart player, I do like the Loui comp, different position but I also see an in his prime Antoine Vermette there as he plays with a bit more physical bite than Loui

Either way, I keep waiting for him to start looking overwhelmed (which doesn`t mean he won`t make a mistake) but playing a stretch where he truly appears lost, hasn`t happened yet.

That goal he scored last night was all him, incredible puck pursuit, then showed terrific net patience out waiting Gibson

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Wouldn't mind seeing him on the top line. Think he'll be a better fit for Bergeron and Cehlarik is a better fit for Krejci.

Heinen-Bergeron-Pasta
Cehlarik-Krejci-Debrusk

Also, last year he was Danton Kempheinen and this year he's our top healthy left winger. Great to see him acclimate and improve!

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Heinen didn't really stand out to me too much early this season, but recently he's been awesome. Nice to see it all coming together for him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Heinen didn't really stand out to me too much early this season, but recently he's been awesome. Nice to see it all coming together for him.
He really has played well

I don't think it's a question is he a regular NHL talent but is he top 6 worthy?

We've seen Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, and Krejci evolve into that category and I think it's very possible Heinen has that ability

Our wings on the first couple lines are very good when you consider Pastrnak and Marchand occupy 2 of the four spots but Bjork, Heinen, and DeBrusk all look they could join them

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I find often with players like Heinen they tend to do those things that don`t register on the score sheet (the dreaded intangible word), on McAvoy`s goal, if Heinen was just content standing off to the side of the net and forcing the Kings D-man to pay attention to him which opened up a seam for McAvoy to roof one, can`t teach that stuff, well, you can but not all players willing to do it.

Man crush continues

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Wouldn't mind seeing him on the top line. Think he'll be a better fit for Bergeron and Cehlarik is a better fit for Krejci.

Heinen-Bergeron-Pasta
Cehlarik-Krejci-Debrusk

Also, last year he was Danton Kempheinen and this year he's our top healthy left winger. Great to see him acclimate and improve!

He only played 8 games last year. Danton Kempheinen? Riley Nash would have made sense there, but Heinen doesn't.

Reactions: Bun cook

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I find often with players like Heinen they tend to do those things that don`t register on the score sheet (the dreaded intangible word), on McAvoy`s goal, if Heinen was just content standing off to the side of the net and forcing the Kings D-man to pay attention to him which opened up a seam for McAvoy to roof one, can`t teach that stuff, well, you can but not all players willing to do it.

Man crush continues

Yup, Heinen looked like an NFL Pulling guard on that play. Not sure if it was dumb luck or he was actually intentionally driving the guy away. But for a guy who isn't big, he probably plays bigger than just about anyone on the team, especially in front of the net

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
He has impressed me more and more every game. Also one of our best forecheckers, he gives the other team's D fits.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Yup, Heinen looked like an NFL Pulling guard on that play. Not sure if it was dumb luck or he was actually intentionally driving the guy away. But for a guy who isn't big, he probably plays bigger than just about anyone on the team, especially in front of the net
He actually isn't that small though. He looks really short on the ice due to his skating style, he's actually listed as 6 foot 1 185 lbs.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Like others, I see his max ceiling as a Loui Eriksson, with a bottom floor of PJ Axelsson. The kid is going to be a good player in this league, playing anywhere in the top 12 and doing well in whatever role he ends up in.

Reactions: BMC

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The more he plays, the more confidence he puts on display. He protects the puck well, and isn't afraid of getting in the dirty areas. Add into it that he has solid playmaking ability while being good at both ends of the ice...This kid is a keeper.

Thank you, Chiarelli (and co.) for your last draft parting gift.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
The more he plays, the more confidence he puts on display. He protects the puck well, and isn't afraid of getting in the dirty areas. Add into it that he has solid playmaking ability while being good at both ends of the ice...This kid is a keeper.

Thank you, Chiarelli (and co.) for your last draft parting gift.
2014 NHL Draft: Boston Bruins draft review - Hockey's Future That draft looks like it could go down as one of the greatest we've ever had, Johansson and Donato haven't even had their cup of coffee yet.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad