Player Discussion Danton Heinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
This is one guy I've changed my mind on. The kid looks to be legit.

I was high on Debrusk and Kuraly. Now, not so much.

BruinsNetwork

When I watch Heinen play I really don't see Loui Eriksson at all. I do however see similarities between him and Mikael Granlund, both in terms of skating, talent and style of play. Of course, Granlund is a center and Heinen is a winger.

However, in the past I have drawn a comparison between Cehlarik and Eriksson and still maintain that standard. The skating and passing are what really brings the comparison to light, for myself anyways.

I am not saying they are equivalent players or will go on and produce as their comparable have, just that I see some similarities between their game and abilities.

On a side note, we must not downplay Loui Eriksson either, it's often forgotten that he was an elite, two-way forward for a long stretch of time.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This is one guy I've changed my mind on. The kid looks to be legit.

I was high on Debrusk and Kuraly. Now, not so much.

Not sure why you were ever high on Kuraly. He is what he is; a 4th liner. I don't understand how you've soured on DeBrusk that much. Is it just the shtick? Always needing to be negative on something?

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure why you were ever high on Kuraly. He is what he is; a 4th liner. I don't understand how you've soured on DeBrusk that much. Is it just the shtick? Always needing to be negative on something?
When did I say I've soured on Debrusk so much? He just doesn't seem as good as the first 5 games or so.

I was high on Kuraly basically for his efforts in the playoffs last year. Looks like Cassidy likes him seeing as he seems to somehow remain a mainstay.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
When did I say I've soured on Debrusk so much? He just doesn't seem as good as the first 5 games or so.

I was high on Kuraly basically for his efforts in the playoffs last year. Looks like Cassidy likes him seeing as he seems to somehow remain a mainstay.

"I was high on DeBrusk and Kuraly. Now, not so much." Comes across as you 'souring' on them, to me.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
He really has played well

I don't think it's a question is he a regular NHL talent but is he top 6 worthy?

We've seen Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, and Krejci evolve into that category and I think it's very possible Heinen has that ability

Our wings on the first couple lines are very good when you consider Pastrnak and Marchand occupy 2 of the four spots but Bjork, Heinen, and DeBrusk all look they could join them

I think he could be. He has the poise that Krejci has that resembles a Top 6 player. This early in his career playing like this, I don't see anything besides a career altering injury stopping him from being a regular Top 6 guy.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I don't see anything besides a career altering injury stopping him from being a regular Top 6 guy.

Nice. Let me provide a little history lesson: Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, Al Iafrate, Gord Kluzak, and there are a few more.
Has any team lost more top end talent due to career ending injuries than Boston ?

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Danton Heinen’s play calls for permanent NHL status - The Boston Globe

Officially, Danton Heinen is not a permanent NHLer.

He is living in team-provided housing, awaiting approval to find his own spot or return to Providence. The former is more likely to be in his future.

“I think it’s too early to say he’s here for good,” said coach Bruce Cassidy. “But I certainly don’t envision him leaving anytime soon either the way he’s played.”

Cassidy’s hesitancy to update Heinen’s status clashes with how promptly he’s pitched the rookie into the deep end. For the last two games, Cassidy has placed Heinen alongside top-liners Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak in Brad Marchand’s usual spot. It may not be coincidence the Bruins won both games against San Jose and Los Angeles. The 22-year-old, who once showed little urgency and even less strength on the puck, has played adult hockey in his pursuit of permanent NHL residence.

“A lot of the things he’s done well is his second and third effort on the puck,” Cassidy said. “Last year, he got pushed off early in the year. Whether that was strength, not knowing the league, not ready to compete, will — I don’t know why. I think it was just because he was new to the league and wasn’t physically ready for it and mentally. Now he knows what it requires. He’s adjusted well. I don’t think his talent level has changed a ton from last year. He was always a smart player, could make plays. That’s why he made our team out of training camp. He’s just developed more of, ‘Hey, it’s a man’s-league’ mentality. I’ve got to play harder and be stronger on the puck.’ ”

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Danton Heinen’s play calls for permanent NHL status - The Boston Globe

Officially, Danton Heinen is not a permanent NHLer.

He is living in team-provided housing, awaiting approval to find his own spot or return to Providence. The former is more likely to be in his future.

“I think it’s too early to say he’s here for good,” said coach Bruce Cassidy. “But I certainly don’t envision him leaving anytime soon either the way he’s played.”

Cassidy’s hesitancy to update Heinen’s status clashes with how promptly he’s pitched the rookie into the deep end. For the last two games, Cassidy has placed Heinen alongside top-liners Patrice Bergeron and David Pastrnak in Brad Marchand’s usual spot. It may not be coincidence the Bruins won both games against San Jose and Los Angeles. The 22-year-old, who once showed little urgency and even less strength on the puck, has played adult hockey in his pursuit of permanent NHL residence.

"Team Provided" code for Youth Hostel:)

Reactions: Ratty

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Didn't Fltuo post about Heinen having a high chance of staying with the bruins long term this year ... and then Haggerty writing about the exact same thing afterwards?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I'm definitely warming up to the kid. I wasn't expecting much from him going forward, if anything at all. Ill happily continue to eat crow.

He's pushing to be a full time contributor even when this team is healthy.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
Nice. Let me provide a little history lesson: Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, Al Iafrate, Gord Kluzak, and there are a few more.
Has any team lost more top end talent due to career ending injuries than Boston ?
Normand Leveille and Jonathan Girard looked promising as well. Can’t forget Savvy either.

Reactions: BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
as this team (fingers crossed) starts getting some of those injured bodies back and following this thread, I am trying to be unbiased in my process of thinking about whether or not there`s any reason this kid shouldn`t be in the lineup full time and I just can`t

He`s done everything and more to have proven he belongs, he`s played on the 4th line, played well, moved up the lineup alongside Bergy, played well, didn`t look at all out of place, tossed on the PP and PK.

I have to think Sweeney and Co are lining up a realtor to assist him in finding full time accomodations

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Not sure what this has to do with Heinen? Leveille had an aneurysm and Girard a car accident. Savard was already an established player.

I’m in the Heinen thread, right? Talk about out of left field.
Someone said something along the lines of "Heinen should be a good one unless he has a career ending injury"
I replied with several B's stars that had career ending injuries, and OConnellsProtege added a few more.

Reactions: minpind

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Someone said something along the lines of "Heinen should be a good one unless he has a career ending injury"
I replied with several B's stars that had career ending injuries, and OConnellsProtege added a few more.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Personally, I find the idea of discussing a potential career ending injury for a young player and mentioning other B’s that’s happened to a bit morbid. To each his own I guess?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
good lord, who said that? Crazy, the kid is 24 games into his NHL career and a poster talking about this? #WAYTOOMUCHTIMEONTHEIRHANDS

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Personally, I find the idea of discussing a potential career ending injury for a young player and mentioning other B’s that’s happened to a bit morbid. To each his own I guess?

Well the discussion was about him potentially as a Top 6 forward, to which I said I don't see anything stopping that potential other than a career altering injury. So pending an unfortunate circumstance, IMO it is safe to assume Heinen should mature into a consistent Top 6 forward.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
The kid is a top six forward now. I can't see this changing within the next 10-15 yrs. He looks legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad