Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2014-15

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Janne Karlsson explicit said that it was time to play some different hockey when he was signed: Possesion hockey where we dont go back in our own zone every 60 minutes and plays solely on single man standout performances. It was time to take the next step, but that also means he has to take the best at doing so and that means he has to take to topprospects into consideration imo.

The playing style is another matter altogether... I don't mind the NT playing some kind of hybrid system, but we'll never be good enough to execute the kind of deliberate puck possession system the Swedes employ. Trying to emulate the Swedish system too closely will always fail, as we will face opposition who are quite frankly better and deeper than us too often.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
The playing style is another matter altogether... I don't mind the NT playing some kind of hybrid system, but we'll never be good enough to execute the kind of deliberate puck possession system the Swedes employ. Trying to emulate the Swedish system too closely will always fail, as we will face opposition who are quite frankly better and deeper than us too often.

The idea with the change of system where we control the puck is not so we can win against the big nations. It is so we can win on a regular basis against Germany, Norway, France, Latvia etc. We will never be able to win on a regular basis against the big 6.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Bødker is not going. Rumours has it that he has lost ten kilos of pure muscles. He will not have time to fully recover before WC. With Coyotes being out of the PO race and trading Vermette last night I am not even sure he is going to return to Coyotes this season if he is not 100 % ready.

I didn't expect him to. Could mean zero actual NHL forwards coming.

Compared with our available forward roster, Oliver Bjørkstrand would have no problem playing. [Assuming no NHL or AHL players]
It's him or someone else that has to be “thrown to the wolves“. [Same logic here below also goes with Ehlers]

With: Hardt, Madsen, P. Bjørkstrand, M. Christensen, J. Jensen, Storm, M. Poulsen, J. Jakobsen, Green, Staal we have 10 players with routine and quality [Green have probably had his worst season ever, but will be included for his routine, even if it is only for 4th line].
The final three forward guys (assuming 13 forwards) will either be Danish leaguers (Lasse Lassen, Thomas Spelling, Jannik Karvinen, Morten Andreasen etc) or other fairly young unexperienced forwards from Allsvenskan (F. Maegaard Scheel, A. Poulsen)
Then also Starkov if they want him back on the NT......

With what is available, O. Bjørkstrand could easily enter at the very least a fourth line.
Why not with Kim Staal for rolling some surprise attacks and use them fairly little on defense?
Staal has managed the most points for Denmark the last two WC playing mostly 4th line, so O. Bjørkstrand with him and then a center (likely Madsen or Green).

J. Jensen, J. Jakobsen, Madsen, Green in whatever order looks like the 4 centers....
I agree 100%
There is no doubt that both Ehlers and Bjorkstrand would fit in fine in this line-up. I seen all of Ehlers preseason games, and one of Bjorkstrand, and I think they would do fine. If we have no NHL talent, we need players who can do something special to make something happen. We know that we have players who will provide some goals, and that will take chances....Like you said, we have gotten a lot of production from our veterans, and top euro guys, but we definently need some of that special speed and hands that those two guys provides, even if they are not used to this kind of game.

Jesus in net once more. I guess 29 wins in this season means nothing....well no surprise to be honest. Good thing Freddy only have one season left before his contract expires.

BB must be the worst coach in terms of messing his the minds of goalies..

Playing Gibson a lot right now makes perfect sense. He is actually playing very well at the moment. He has a .926 SVS % over the last 5 games and by the looks of it another strong start tonight vs DAL... The team is a lock for one of the top seeds in the playoffs. So, why not see what you got in Gibson, while resting the guy who is going to be your starter in the playoffs? Andersen is just back from injury, so why not ease him back in? And so many teams have been punished in the playoffs by having a tired over-used No 1 goalie play 65+ games in the regular season.

Besides, a lot of people who knows a lot more about evaluating goaltenders than I do, consider Gibson one of the biggest goalie prospects in the world right now. It is not unreasonable at this point to believe that Gibson has a higher ceiling than Andersen. If that belief is shared by the Ducks brass, it makes perfect sense for them to plan for Gibson being the long term solution for them.

Just tough luck for Andersen if even his second NHL organization doesn't turn out to be the right fit. But this kind of thing happens for goalies all the time. Just look at Bishop in TB and Dubnyk in MIN.

At the end of the day, there is no doubt in my mind that Andersen is good enough to be a starter in the NHL - maybe even a top 10 or better. If it does not happen in Anaheim, he will find the right spot eventually.

Gibson had good games, but Freddy has been consistent during a long season while carrying a massive work load because the Ducks didn't have a good backup...I think looking at the Ducks board gives a good impression,...
There seems a clear popular opinion that this is andersens job to lose, and that he hasn't done that yet...And that doesn't mean they don't love Gibson...
There is justified hype about Gibson, and there has from the beginning but even they are shaking their head at BBs way of handling this and supposely saying that the starting job for the playoffs is up for grabs.

Freddy has not nothing to lose the starting job, and I have seen two people saying that he should lose his job over this if he does it.

This is not about Gibson being a great prospect, this is not even the best way to handle him. This is the way to ruin prospects.
He puts extreme pressure on both young goalies...Freddy by making it clear that any mistakes could be fatal, and putting Gibson in the exact same position, because what exactly happens if he blows it in the playoffs....where do they go then?

The idea with the change of system where we control the puck is not so we can win against the big nations. It is so we can win on a regular basis against Germany, Norway, France, Latvia etc. We will never be able to win on a regular basis against the big 6.

Agreed! We should not set up our team to beat the big teams, because thats not the objective...Ofcourse its massive fun when we have beaten the US, the Czechs, or Finland but that is not how you survive in the division. We need to be able to take it to our direct competition...

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I didn't expect him to. Could mean zero actual NHL forwards coming.

I agree 100%
There is no doubt that both Ehlers and Bjorkstrand would fit in fine in this line-up. I seen all of Ehlers preseason games, and one of Bjorkstrand, and I think they would do fine. If we have no NHL talent, we need players who can do something special to make something happen. We know that we have players who will provide some goals, and that will take chances....Like you said, we have gotten a lot of production from our veterans, and top euro guys, but we definently need some of that special speed and hands that those two guys provides, even if they are not used to this kind of game.

BB must be the worst coach in terms of messing his the minds of goalies..

Gibson had good games, but Freddy has been consistent during a long season while carrying a massive work load because the Ducks didn't have a good backup...I think looking at the Ducks board gives a good impression,...
There seems a clear popular opinion that this is andersens job to lose, and that he hasn't done that yet...And that doesn't mean they don't love Gibson...
There is justified hype about Gibson, and there has from the beginning but even they are shaking their head at BBs way of handling this and supposely saying that the starting job for the playoffs is up for grabs.

Freddy has not nothing to lose the starting job, and I have seen two people saying that he should lose his job over this if he does it.

This is not about Gibson being a great prospect, this is not even the best way to handle him. This is the way to ruin prospects.
He puts extreme pressure on both young goalies...Freddy by making it clear that any mistakes could be fatal, and putting Gibson in the exact same position, because what exactly happens if he blows it in the playoffs....where do they go then?

Agreed! We should not set up our team to beat the big teams, because thats not the objective...Ofcourse its massive fun when we have beaten the US, the Czechs, or Finland but that is not how you survive in the division. We need to be able to take it to our direct competition...

Talk about putting pressure on young players. Going from the CHL to the World Champs is a huge step. Are they good enough to be part of a depleted Danish team? Probably. But to expect them to go in and carry the team offensively at a level they have no experience at, that is just crazy. And if you want them to be part of the bottom six, then that is exactly the situation where they would have to play an entirely different checking line role than what they are used to and suited for.

The situation in Anaheim is difficult to handle, no doubt about it. But, Canada's starting goalie in the 2010 Olympic Final got unseated by a younger goalie, so it can happen to Andersen too. How can you say that Boudreau is handling the situation wrong when both of his goalies are playing really well? I suspect Boudreau has made up his mind and that Andersen will be the starter in the playoffs unless Gibson goes on an absolutely out-of-this-world streak. But, no goalie's spot should be guaranteed, that would not be fair. Nor would it be enough of an incentive for the #2. Is it possible that Boudreau is putting too much pressure on these two young goalies? Sure, but so far they seem to be handling it well.

The error they made was believing that Gibson was ready at the start of the season and bringing in Bryzgalov when LaBarbera could have done a better job. But it seems to me they managed to fix those errors by having Gibson go back to the AHL and work on his game while getting a lot of starts he wouldn't have gotten serving as Andersen's backup. And this is exactly one of the reasons why a situation like this is so difficult to handle: As soon as Gibson showed that he belonged in the NHL - and he is certainly showing that right now - then you can only keep him in the AHL for so long. On the other hand, when you do bring him up, you don't want him guarding the door most nights.

Where does all this leave Andersen? In a tricky spot for sure, but most teams in the NHL would be happy to have him as their starter, and the same goes for Gibson if he keeps this up. It's just simple math that you can't have two starters and you guys don't seem to like platooning either...

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
We have all of these way more experienced players playing in better leagues than the CHL:

KHL (2):
F P. Bjorkstrand (KHL/Finland)
D P. Larsen

AHL (4):
F Regin
F N. Jensen
D O. Lauridsen
D M. Lauridsen

SHL (2):
F Hardt
D J.B. Jensen

Allsvenskan (7):
F Maegaard-Scheel
F Storm
F A.H. Poulsen
F M.H. Poulsen
F J. Jensen
D E. Kristensen
G Galbraith

DEL (4):
F M. Christensen
F J. Jakobsen
F M. Madsen
F Green

That's 13 forwards, 5 D-men and a goalie right there. And the Championships starts May 1, by which time the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs is over, so we could even see a couple of NHL players strengthening the squad, even if they all qualify for the playoffs. Add a few experienced players from the Danish league (Ma. Bødker, Spelling, D. Nielsen, Dahm and maybe Lassen from Austria and you're pretty much set. So I don't see the rush to bring in Ehlers and Bjorkstrand and then in turn ask them to do so much...

But again, if they are able to show up even late in camp and show the NT coach that they can do a better job than some of the players named above, then I'm all for it.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Gibson putting more pressure on the situation. Another 1st star performance from him.

It hasnt been the best Danish season so far, and thats not just in the NHL..

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Gibson putting more pressure on the situation. Another 1st star performance from him.

It hasnt been the best Danish season so far, and thats not just in the NHL..

Well it's a shame that Bruce is a Gibson fanboy. Luckily for Andersen he only have one more year left of his contract and could choose to refuce to re-sign and demand trade if he and his agent aren't pleased how things are handled in Anaheim. One of them will move either way.

Ehlers & Bjorkstrand disagree. We have two ppg leaders in two major junior leagues.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
We have all of these way more experienced players playing in better leagues than the CHL:

KHL (2):
D P. Larsen

AHL (4):
F Regin
F N. Jensen

D O. Lauridsen
D M. Lauridsen

SHL (2):
F Hardt
D J.B. Jensen

Allsvenskan (7):
F Maegaard-Scheel
F Storm
F A.H. Poulsen
F M.H. Poulsen
F J. Jensen
D E. Kristensen
G Galbraith

DEL (4):
F M. Christensen
F J. Jakobsen
F M. Madsen
F Green

That's 13 forwards, 5 D-men and a goalie right there. And the Championships starts May 1, by which time the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs is over, so we could even see a couple of NHL players strengthening the squad, even if they all qualify for the playoffs. Add a few experienced players from the Danish league (Ma. Bødker, Spelling, D. Nielsen, Dahm and maybe Lassen from Austria and you're pretty much set. So I don't see the rush to bring in Ehlers and Bjorkstrand and then in turn ask them to do so much...

But again, if they are able to show up even late in camp and show the NT coach that they can do a better job than some of the players named above, then I'm all for it.

I wouldn't count those two in as locks ;) :(

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Jensen has been horrible... He is close to being a bust! Can't produce enough at AHL level, has a bad overall game and very little defensive capabilities. Not the best attitude Either. He wont do much for the NT before he gets shipped off to Europe and gets some confidence..

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Jensen has been horrible... He is close to being a bust! Can't produce enough at AHL level, has a bad overall game and very little defensive capabilities. Not the best attitude Either. He wont do much for the NT before he gets shipped off to Europe and gets some confidence..

Strange what has gone wrong with Nicklas Jensen, but he has very pronounced ups and down in the offensive play (like Lars Eller). His problem is that he is not even close to have Lars Eller's defensive game.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Otherwise an assist for both Frans Nielsen and Jannik Hansen last night, whereas Lars Eller missed his penalty in the shootout.

Impressive that Jannik Hansen has 10 points in 11 games......
Frans Nielsen just have a year where he doesn't score a lot, but his point total is still descent.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

KHL (2):
D P. Larsen

AHL (4):
F Regin
F N. Jensen

D O. Lauridsen
D M. Lauridsen

SHL (2):
F Hardt
D J.B. Jensen

Allsvenskan (7):
F Maegaard-Scheel
F Storm
F A.H. Poulsen
F M.H. Poulsen
F J. Jensen
D E. Kristensen
G Galbraith

DEL (4):
F M. Christensen
F J. Jakobsen
F M. Madsen
F Green

Would pick Ehlers and Bjorkstrand over Regin and Jensen so fast it would make your head spin.
We can't rely on two players who have produced next to nothing all season in the AHL, and has zero confidence. I would far rather just play a 1st line of euros instead.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Would pick Ehlers and Bjorkstrand over Regin and Jensen so fast it would make your head spin.
We can't rely on two players who have produced next to nothing all season in the AHL, and has zero confidence. I would far rather just play a 1st line of euros instead.

Agree. Both Ehlers and Bjorkstrand is far closer on NHL level than any of the players in AHL.

Edit: Regin and Jensen will not be available anyway. Chicago and Vancouver could both go deep in this years playoffs.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Agree. Both Ehlers and Bjorkstrand is far closer on NHL level than any of the players in AHL.

Edit: Regin and Jensen will not be available anyway. Chicago and Vancouver could both go deep in this years playoffs.

Even if they are still in the playoffs, I could see one or both of Regin and Jensen let go if they don't step up their game soon and they get knocked out of the AHL playoffs. It is not a given at this point that they will be kept around as black aces.

I think you are a bit too optimistic as far as how close Ehlers and Bjorkstrand are to the NHL. Even really solid prospects at their age coming out of the CHL will often spend a long time in the AHL before they are deemed ready for the NHL. And if they are one of the few who start out in the NHL, they can easily go 10 games before they register their first point in the NHL and even longer for the first goal. This is the norm and does not indicate that they are anything but good prospects. The World Championships is at a level very close to or on par with the level of the NHL, so it would be a bit much to call them in as top six players and ask them to produce as such. And neither one is suited for a bottom six role the way I see it.

Even some of our experienced NHL'ers have at times taken some heat for the way they perform in the World Champs, so it would be a huge leap of faith to expect Ehlers and/or Bjorkstrand to pull it off...

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen

I know the two of them have been struggling, but they have both performed really well at the World Champs, even in seasons where they have not done much in the NHL/AHL. I'd say there's a much bigger chance they can perform at the Worlds than Ehlers or Bjorkstrand.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Andersen needs to cut out those horrible games.. Yesterday he played awful.. Imo he has to many bad games With weak goals let in. And With goalie Jesus Playing like Jesus, it Could turn around for Andersen so that gibby becomes #1

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Andersen needs to cut out those horrible games.. Yesterday he played awful.. Imo he has to many bad games With weak goals let in. And With goalie Jesus Playing like Jesus, it Could turn around for Andersen so that gibby becomes #1

I think it was only usual rustiness. Very often goalies have horrible games after injury and this was by far Andersen's worst game ever. Sure he had couple very bad games before, but this was just a very horrible game. All pucks bounced after saves, he stumpled very often and mishandled puck always when he touched it.

Ofc Gibson fancorner will get fire up, but I'm not too worried. I have all faith in Andersen. And we kind of know he's fighting a lost battle, I just hope he can make it through this year. We all know he would need to win Hart and Vezina to earn clear starter spot in Anaheim.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

Completely inevitable with this kind of mind games...
Bound to happen when you screw with two young goalies.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Even if they are still in the playoffs, I could see one or both of Regin and Jensen let go if they don't step up their game soon and they get knocked out of the AHL playoffs. It is not a given at this point that they will be kept around as black aces.

I think you are a bit too optimistic as far as how close Ehlers and Bjorkstrand are to the NHL. Even really solid prospects at their age coming out of the CHL will often spend a long time in the AHL before they are deemed ready for the NHL. And if they are one of the few who start out in the NHL, they can easily go 10 games before they register their first point in the NHL and even longer for the first goal. This is the norm and does not indicate that they are anything but good prospects. The World Championships is at a level very close to or on par with the level of the NHL, so it would be a bit much to call them in as top six players and ask them to produce as such. And neither one is suited for a bottom six role the way I see it.

Even some of our experienced NHL'ers have at times taken some heat for the way they perform in the World Champs, so it would be a huge leap of faith to expect Ehlers and/or Bjorkstrand to pull it off...

I know the two of them have been struggling, but they have both performed really well at the World Champs, even in seasons where they have not done much in the NHL/AHL. I'd say there's a much bigger chance they can perform at the Worlds than Ehlers or Bjorkstrand.

And I think you underestimate how talented they are. Regin has not played on this team since his injury, but any previous work with the NT is irrelevant. He is done, no matter how said that is considering that he probably one of the most talented players we are produced...But its just over.

Jensen nears bust levels. And seems to have attitude problems.

Ehlers and Bjorkstrand would be a huge reinforcement and would have no problem contributing along with some veteran help.

We could be looking at a year without any NHL players. We need them.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Completely inevitable with this kind of mind games...
Bound to happen when you screw with two young goalies.

Is Andersen restricted or unrestricted free agent when his contract expires 2016? As a Ducks fan tt saddens me, but I think he needs to get away from BB as fast as possible. Clearly Andersens mind is not set up for BB's charades. I do not know what have been said in the lockerroom, but if it is the same as what BB said to the press, then there is no doubt in my mind that Andersen does not cope well with it. Just look at his game against Pens yesterday. Everything was painful to watch.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Is Andersen restricted or unrestricted free agent when his contract expires 2016? As a Ducks fan tt saddens me, but I think he needs to get away from BB as fast as possible. Clearly Andersens mind is not set up for BB's charades. I do not know what have been said in the lockerroom, but if it is the same as what BB said to the press, then there is no doubt in my mind that Andersen does not cope well with it. Just look at his game against Pens yesterday. Everything was painful to watch.

He is RFA in 2016 yes. And its hard to disagree with you.

Gibson had a nightmare against calgary, and its no wonder with the unneeded pressure BB ends up making by giving out the signals that he does.

Hope he gets away from anaheim, sooner rather than later, but now would be a great time to have a few perfect games.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
And I think you underestimate how talented they are. Regin has not played on this team since his injury, but any previous work with the NT is irrelevant. He is done, no matter how said that is considering that he probably one of the most talented players we are produced...But its just over.

Jensen nears bust levels. And seems to have attitude problems.

Ehlers and Bjorkstrand would be a huge reinforcement and would have no problem contributing along with some veteran help.

We could be looking at a year without any NHL players. We need them.

We need to ice 12 forwards in each game, and while Regin may not qualify as the first line center anymore, there is surely space in the lineup for a defensively sound versatile player with more than 250 games in the NHL and currently above .5 PPG in the AHL.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
We need to ice 12 forwards in each game, and while Regin may not qualify as the first line center anymore, there is surely space in the lineup for a defensively sound versatile player with more than 250 games in the NHL and currently above .5 PPG in the AHL.

He would make the team ofcourse. And listen..I really hope he would play well, I just fear that the combination of just not being the same player after his injury, but also seriously hurt in confidence. He choose chicago and never seemed to get close to a place....But we were talking in about a situation where we would choose between either him and jensen or ehlers og bjorkstrand.

I don't think Regin will be available either.

Gibson btw starts again tonight......

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad