Denmark: Danes in the NHL 2014-15

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
And Starkov is back in the NT. Seems like an appropriate suspension length. Not that I follow NLB all that closely, but it looks like he's had a pretty good season, so he should be a welcome addition...

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I hope for Andersen's sake his agent demands trade in next offseason. As Ducks fan it saddens me, but after this season he had and now hypeboy start 3rd game in row it's over for him.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I hope for Andersen's sake his agent demands trade in next offseason. As Ducks fan it saddens me, but after this season he had and now hypeboy start 3rd game in row it's over for him.

It is not over, but Gibson just plays better than Andersen at the moment. If this means that Andersen is now the backup, which no one knows except BB, then it doesnt look that good for Andersen, but bare in mind that Andersen is only RFA after next season, so he might be spending quite some time in Anaheim. Unless of course that Anaheim wants to trade him off. I cant see that happening until they know for sure that Gibson pans out.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
It is not over, but Gibson just plays better than Andersen at the moment. If this means that Andersen is now the backup, which no one knows except BB, then it doesnt look that good for Andersen, but bare in mind that Andersen is only RFA after next season, so he might be spending quite some time in Anaheim. Unless of course that Anaheim wants to trade him off. I cant see that happening until they know for sure that Gibson pans out.

andersen isn't getting a game

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
andersen isn't getting a game

How do you figure? Andersen has played three games since his return to the pitch two weeks ago. Two of those were less than stellar (to put it mildly), one was ok, without having to prove much against a weak Coyotes team.

Some of you complained that he was being overused in november-january and now he is being underused? Make up your minds please.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
How do you figure? Andersen has played three games since his return to the pitch two weeks ago. Two of those were less than stellar (to put it mildly), one was ok, without having to prove much against a weak Coyotes team.

Some of you complained that he was being overused in november-january and now he is being underused? Make up your minds please.

Just stopping by to say keep up the level-headed comments. :nod: I've been following this thread for a while since KingJoffrey started doing his "Freddie is being treated unfairly" dance on the Ducks board. It seems like your words have as little of an effect on him as our's over there, though.

Freddie has been decent for us. Terrific at the start of the year, then inconsistent, as is just normal for a still pretty young goalie with less than 80 games of NHL experience. In the grand scheme of things, he has been an average NHL starting goalie this year, which again is what was realistic hoped for before the season. He was always expected to share his games with Gibson this season, which didn't happen earlier due to Gibson's injury. There isn't too much between them, right now, with Gibson getting better results recently. Both have their shortcomings (Andersen plays his size and controls rebounds better, Gibson has far better technique when down, etc), and both are young and prone to inconsistencies. Which is natural, so there isn't really any sense of disappointment in Freddie, it just doesn't put him in a spot where he has much of a claim to an unchallenged starting spot. He has to keep proving things. It's not like Gibson is getting anything gift-wrapped. Heck, he got sent down when Andersen played so well in October to get some playing time, just so that it wouldn't break Freddie's stride back then.

Sure, there's some hype behind Gibson's name, but the hype that comes with being considered one of the two best goaltending prospects in the world doesn't come out of nowhere; he has a remarkable skill set, and he isn't challenging Freddie due to hype, but due to those abilities. We're trying to win something this year, so whichever the goalie of the future for this franchise may end up being, that's not something that matters right now. We need to have the guy in net that gives us a better chance to win, and who that guy is unfortunately is a question very hard to answer before every game, right now.

I get that Ducks fans, these days, are a bit more critical than fans of Andersen would like to see, since we're preparing for a playoff run, where we hope to win something. And goaltending is definitely among the question marks, whether it's Andersen or Gibson. We'd love for Freddie to be beyond questioning, but he hasn't been, so he faces competition, like virtually every guy his age or with his experience faces.

He'll get a start again very soon, unless something really, really weird happens. The last games shook down like this - he got a start, had a bad night, got another start from Boudreau to rebound, and he did well. Then Gibson got a start, had a bad night, and got the same chance to rebound, and had a great game, which earned him another start in the last game, which was okay. It's a damn good guess that Freddie will get one of the next two games. He'll keep getting his chances.

Sorry to invade your thread like this, friends to the North. :) Just thought a goalie's and a different Ducks fan's point of view might be appreciated.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Just stopping by to say keep up the level-headed comments. :nod: I've been following this thread for a while since KingJoffrey started doing his "Freddie is being treated unfairly" dance on the Ducks board. It seems like your words have as little of an effect on him as our's over there, though.

Freddie has been decent for us. Terrific at the start of the year, then inconsistent, as is just normal for a still pretty young goalie with less than 80 games of NHL experience. In the grand scheme of things, he has been an average NHL starting goalie this year, which again is what was realistic hoped for before the season. He was always expected to share his games with Gibson this season, which didn't happen earlier due to Gibson's injury. There isn't too much between them, right now, with Gibson getting better results recently. Both have their shortcomings (Andersen plays his size and controls rebounds better, Gibson has far better technique when down, etc), and both are young and prone to inconsistencies. Which is natural, so there isn't really any sense of disappointment in Freddie, it just doesn't put him in a spot where he has much of a claim to an unchallenged starting spot. He has to keep proving things. It's not like Gibson is getting anything gift-wrapped. Heck, he got sent down when Andersen played so well in October to get some playing time, just so that it wouldn't break Freddie's stride back then.

Sure, there's some hype behind Gibson's name, but the hype that comes with being considered one of the two best goaltending prospects in the world doesn't come out of nowhere; he has a remarkable skill set, and he isn't challenging Freddie due to hype, but due to those abilities. We're trying to win something this year, so whichever the goalie of the future for this franchise may end up being, that's not something that matters right now. We need to have the guy in net that gives us a better chance to win, and who that guy is unfortunately is a question very hard to answer before every game, right now.

I get that Ducks fans, these days, are a bit more critical than fans of Andersen would like to see, since we're preparing for a playoff run, where we hope to win something. And goaltending is definitely among the question marks, whether it's Andersen or Gibson. We'd love for Freddie to be beyond questioning, but he hasn't been, so he faces competition, like virtually every guy his age or with his experience faces.

He'll get a start again very soon, unless something really, really weird happens. The last games shook down like this - he got a start, had a bad night, got another start from Boudreau to rebound, and he did well. Then Gibson got a start, had a bad night, and got the same chance to rebound, and had a great game, which earned him another start in the last game, which was okay. It's a damn good guess that Freddie will get one of the next two games. He'll keep getting his chances.

Sorry to invade your thread like this, friends to the North. :) Just thought a goalie's and a different Ducks fan's point of view might be appreciated.

You are always welcome:)

...I avoid the ducks thread when its going bad for Freddy, because I can't be unbiased when "our" freddy is losing...So I have to use this thread to get my feelings out:P

Listen, most of us here are realistic. We know how good Gibson is, we know that Freddy for the most part is getting a fair shot despite there being hype for gibson.

But don't worry. I won't bring that to your game threads;-)

No...I want it both ways. Its pretty simple actually. If freddy plays badly while getting a lot of games, he is being overplayed. If he plays badly when he doesn't get so many games, its because he doesn't get enough games.

Let us be homers.:P

But my specific gripe here was that when Andersen played a bad game, Gibson got the next one immediately while Gibson returned to the net after letting in 6.

Last edited:

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Andersen is gonna need a handful of games to get into anything that is close match fitness, being out that long comes with a price. Unfortunately some dont take that into context when judging him against Gibson, and quite frankly he is getting overhype and praised, so it is a difficult job for Andersen competing against both things. But that is how it is so there is hard work ahead for him, either way he might get called upon in the playoffs and the team need him to be ready to perform at his top level

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Andersen and Anaheim got an OT win 3-2 over Colorado with 91,7% saves, so a OK comeback over sitting out for some time.
The fact is just that Gibson has really been on a roll at the moment, so until Gibson dips Andersen probably will only get the occasional game.
The real question is what Anaheim will do for the playoffs, but they will likely ride the goalie that is “hot“ at that moment.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Freddy was pulled after letting in 3 goals on seven shots..Gibson then let in 4 more...
Rangers win 7-2...

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
At this point Gibson is the superior goalie.. Freddy is slipping

Freddy look weird last night. At several occasions he had trouble keeping on the skates as if he was struggeling with the balance. I know nobody have said anything, but is it possible that he had a concussion when the goal fell on his head?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Freddy look weird last night. At several occasions he had trouble keeping on the skates as if he was struggeling with the balance. I know nobody have said anything, but is it possible that he had a concussion when the goal fell on his head?

No idea, but to be honest, (taking off red and White tinted glasses) I don't think Freddy has been good enough. Not even pre injury. He had too many bad nights imo.

He needs to be more consistent and not have below 85% svs nights.

Last edited:

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I'd tend to think it might've been a concussion too

Not exactly lucky with the bounces and the d play in the start of that rangers game, not what he needed at all, he didnt get minutes to play off the rust and his confidence took a beating.

Pre injury i think Andersen was okay but still not his absolute best. Right now Gibson is probably the favourite to start the playoffs, unless Andersen starts the rest i cannot see him play off that much rust, very little icetime for 1½ month

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Only good thing is that we will have Andersen for the WC if anaheim continues playing like this. Right now, they sadly have 1st round finish written all over them

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Good game by Freddy against the Islanders, including some great saves, especially when the Islanders were on 5 on 3

edit...had to post this...so funny

CBTxVZPUcAAFHm6.jpg

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
With playoffs started Frederik Andersen has been in goal for the two first Anaheim games and have two wins, so good start for him.
Lars Eller has scored a goal for Montreal, Jannik Hansen a goal for Vancouver and Frans Nielsen has 1 assist.
All four Danes have good chances of getting to the next round.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
With playoffs started Frederik Andersen has been in goal for the two first Anaheim games and have two wins, so good start for him.
Lars Eller has scored a goal for Montreal, Jannik Hansen a goal for Vancouver and Frans Nielsen has 1 assist.
All four Danes have good chances of getting to the next round.

From what I've heard, Boudreau probably had Gibson as the starter going in to the playoffs. But, with Gibson's injury, Andersen would really have to stink up the joint for Boudreau to turn to a rusty Gibson, if and when Gibson is back from injury.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
From what I've heard, Boudreau probably had Gibson as the starter going in to the playoffs. But, with Gibson's injury, Andersen would really have to stink up the joint for Boudreau to turn to a rusty Gibson, if and when Gibson is back from injury.

Andersen clearly got the nod before the po. He was starting and playing well before gibby got hurt.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Frederik Andersen with a playoff shutout (3-0 vs Calgary) and Anaheim has taken 6 playoff wins in a row.

A shutout is a shutout, however looking at the shots against last night, only the Raymond shot from point blank would not have been considered a softie should it pass Freddie. That being said, he has delivered thorugh all 6 games so far and doesnt look as rattled as last year. The coaching of the mental aspect have proved to be essential in his further development.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Ugh. A couple of brutal softies given up by Andersen tonight. Let's hope he pulls out the win in OT, otherwise this could be a serious dent in his confidence and/or playing time.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Ugh. A couple of brutal softies given up by Andersen tonight. Let's hope he pulls out the win in OT, otherwise this could be a serious dent in his confidence and/or playing time.

Freddy has shown many times that he comes back great after a bad game..

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Don't know if this is even true but there are reports that Sebastian Dahm had nhl interest(a sabres scout confirmed) but he wanted a one way deal....has he lost his mind!?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00